Shame on the HHS SOCCER PROGRAM

Shame on the HHS SOCCER PROGRAM

Posted in the Hobbs Forum

Hope N

Hobbs, NM

#1 Aug 19, 2008
Hello,
I am writing and sending copies of this letter to all the parents, coaches, youth soccer, and high school administrators, and Hobbs News Sun.
NEVER before have I received so many emails, phone calls, messages, etc. as I have in the past week and weekend! Some from players and parents cut from the team, and some from players and parents of children ON THE TEAMS. All of them seem to “stem” from the same problem(s)! I only sit down to write this letter knowing three things; one, it has to be voiced and heard, two I am in total shock at the message we just sent the children and parents of not only youth soccer, but of the entire high school soccer program, and three if I sign this, I'll lose several of my friends that work in this field. So, what message did we send our children and parents this week? The message, that no matter how much hard work, and how much dedication you put into trying to make the eagles soccer program, you cannot achieve this, if you don't know the right people or have played for the right soccer team! There is no more merit on yourself as a player, it's simply as easy as being friends with, or playing for the “right” club, regardless of your skill level. I am so ASHAMED!
I watched several of my friends and neighbors, get up every morning this summer and drive their children to workouts/soccer practices not once a week, but at least once every day, then to indoor soccer on the weekends. I watched them put vacations on hold, so that their sons or daughters could be there to show the coaches their dedication to the eagle soccer program. I had my house cleaned and my lawn mowed twice or three times a week by some of these children, so they could “scrape” enough money together to go to soccer camps.$600.00 is an awful large amount to come up with when your only source of income is mowing lawns, but even larger when your a single mom or dad. Do I even need to mention the amount of gas spent driving these children to and from practices all summer! I know not only these children, but their parents! I even coached some of their parents years ago when they played. I was used to be so proud to say I played a part in the building of the Hobbs Soccer Program. I feel like I played a part in several of these children's lives. I can name them not only by name, but by position, and number. Now, I am in total shock. I heard of players already on the team being cut to make room for the new “regime” taking over. I personally know 7 players, that gave their heart and soul to be part of the eagle soccer program, players that showed the kind of dedication and effort it takes to make it at a professional level; and for what? FOR SHAME, FOR SHAME !
I know of children that were cut that should easily have been a walk on at varsity level! I know of children that didn't make the team, because their parents didn't have enough money, or maybe enough time to let them play “club” soccer. I know of children that gave it their all, their heart and soul, and we not only let them down, we crushed the spirit right out of them. One of the parents told me that their child doesn't even want to play soccer any more. What message did we just send out?
Concerned Citizen

Hobbs, NM

#2 Oct 4, 2008
Why is the city replacing water meters that were replaced only two years ago?If these new meters are going to save the city millons of dollars are these new dollars going to pay for the new sewage plant?I think it should.From what I have heard there will be a utility rate increase next year to help pay for the operation of the new plant.It seems to me that the city is being reckless with our money.Do we really need the new meters just because new and better ones have come along?Why do we have to fix something that is not broke?I do not mind tax monies being spent for needed things but,I do mind seeing our money being spent on these meters when there are alot of other things that are needed in our fair city.We have witnessed in the past weeks that spend just cause we can does not work and that if we don't stop now when will we? When it is too late and everything falls apart?
Former Eagle

United States

#3 Aug 7, 2011
I grew up in Hobbs, playing HYSA from the 4th grade on. I was on the very first HHS soccer team in '83-'84, so I was a product of Hobbs Soccer. Today, my children play HYSA soccer. I definately DO worry about thier future playing in Hobbs. It's shameful that it matters who you know will determine if your son/daughter makes the HHS soccer teams. Certain youth coaches visit and eat lunch with HHS soccer coaches on a near weekly basis. You might as well take that team and issue HHS uniforms to each player, upon reaching the 8th grade, regardless of skill level. I will not tell my children they may not have a prayer of making the team. Instead, I have decided to work full time on perfecting thier game and training them harder than these so called "club" teams. If the HHS coaches can't recognize pure talent and a driven work ethic, maybe it's time to look at the coaches. When I played for HHS, there were no politics. Simply an honest tryout session with Joe Ford, and the strongest, most skilled players made the cut. Wish you were here Joe. Shame on HHS for being so unfair to very skilled, hard working and eager players, that just want a fair chance.
awed

United States

#4 Apr 12, 2012
Just saw this post and I immediately thought of the problems I heard about with the Lady eagles at state last year. I was floored! If any of us had been caught with DRUGS, we wouldn't of had to worry about returning to school much less continue to play! I still can't believe it. I guess Hobbs is a different place, because 20 years ago those students would have been suspended and the coaches would have been seeking employment elsewhere! Just another fine example of Hobbs Schools.....so glad to be in Texas!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hobbs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
paranormal activity in Hobbs NM (May '11) Aug 23 Nini 17
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Aug 20 whosurdaddy 8,823
lccf? Aug 18 Mocking Jay 13
Have you ever looked at Carlsbad topix? Aug 11 Carlsbad native 1
Chief of Police J.D. Sanders (Aug '08) Aug 4 fdg 366
New eye doctor in Lovington??? (Nov '15) Jul 27 Wounded 2
trial of julio Jul '16 justice 1

Hobbs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance