Man killed on highway while changing ...

Man killed on highway while changing tire

There are 46 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 3, 2008, titled Man killed on highway while changing tire. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A semitrailer struck and killed a man and severely injured his son as they were changing a tire on the shoulder of the Indiana Toll Road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ogre

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Feb 3, 2008
I hope that cowardly piece of Sh!t truck driver rots in hell
Nobody

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Feb 3, 2008
Thats really terrible. I've had to change a tire more than once off the interstate, and it is ridiculous scary for you lucky folks who have never been in that situation.
I wonder it the f(tr)ucker even knew he hit them. At 6 a.m. there should have been plenty of room for him to get over, but he was probably either asleep or so hopped up on speed he didn't know or car.
I don't often have much sympathy for people, but this is one of those cases where two guys are just trying to get somewhere, and bam, your day, week, month, year, and life just got crappy.
Mad Bovine

Lexington, KY

#3 Feb 3, 2008
Indiana State Police are looking for the truck driver who struck the men about 6 a.m. in the eastbound lane about 7 miles east of the Lake-Porter county line.
and the scumbag driver left the scene. what a P.O.S.
Curious

Knightstown, IN

#4 Feb 3, 2008
Get these damn truckers off the roads and put the trailers on rail cars

More & more the truckers truely believe the road is theirs & theirs alone
Indyman

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Feb 3, 2008
Your telling me NO ONE saw this...what a load of crap. Somebody must of saw this happen and now won't come forward...great society we live in.
slanted_instinct

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Feb 3, 2008
Think of this story the next time you see a disabled car on the shoulder of the highway. Sad indeed. :-(
Meg

Sellersburg, IN

#7 Feb 3, 2008
just like nascar
Dart

Cincinnati, OH

#8 Feb 3, 2008
Everyone moves over to the left lane when police have someone pulled over. Why isn't this courtesy extended to all citizens? Move over to the other lane if you see a car pulled off to the side for the safety of everyone.
One man

United States

#9 Feb 3, 2008
I've had to change a tire in those conditions in the past and it's crazy just how close some people will come to you, if they don't hit you.

I agree with the above poster, get these trailers off the roads and onto railroad tracks.. it will unclog our streets greatly! Jobs will be lost sure, but benefits will be reaped elsewhere.
Holy cow

New Lenox, IL

#11 Feb 3, 2008
Just another example of one of those fine "professional drivers". Maybe the Teamsters would like to contribute to that poor guy's widow.
MARK

United States

#12 Feb 3, 2008
The truck driver should have his license taken away
Your worst nightmare

Columbus, IN

#13 Feb 3, 2008
One man wrote:
I've had to change a tire in those conditions in the past and it's crazy just how close some people will come to you, if they don't hit you.
I agree with the above poster, get these trailers off the roads and onto railroad tracks.. it will unclog our streets greatly! Jobs will be lost sure, but benefits will be reaped elsewhere.
And then all we'll have to do is move all the gas stations, department stores and every other business that depends on trucks to deliver their goods, next to the railroad tracks. Heck, as long as we're clearing the roads of truckers, why not remove all the idiots from the roads as well. Then I wouldn't have to worry about you people getting in my way anymore.
Uncle Munchie

United States

#14 Feb 3, 2008
This is another example of red-neck semi drivers "dusting" people on the side of the road. Only in Indiana.
Ummmmmm

Carmel, IN

#15 Feb 3, 2008
Holy cow wrote:
Just another example of one of those fine "professional drivers". Maybe the Teamsters would like to contribute to that poor guy's widow.
Most truck drivers do not belong to a union anymore. Since NAFTA, it also might have been a truck from Mexico.
CapetonianAnthro pologie

South Africa

#16 Feb 3, 2008
Find this guy and charge him with culpable homicide. He deserves to rot in prison.
meme

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Feb 3, 2008
The truckers do drive too fast, thatswhy there are tragedies like this one. I feel sorry for the victims family. I hope that this jerk is caught and pays for what he did.
Thinking

United States

#18 Feb 3, 2008
About 10 years ago, my friends' sons were on their way home for the holidays from college in St.Louis. They were on Interstate 70 just outside of Terre Haute when they had a flat tire. A Semi struck and killed the two who were changing the tire, and also the third son as he was walking to help, because they were in 2 cars following each other. Their father, who was a prominent business man, went insane.
Not Anymore

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Feb 3, 2008
When I was a boy, both my father and uncle were semi truck drivers. They took a lot of pride in being the "kings of the road" that were known for courtesy, safe driving and always stopping to help stranded motorists. I used to love it when I could go on a trip with them.
Nowadays, truckers drive slow in the left lane impeding traffic, pull out in front of you to do so, ride your bumper when you're IN the right hand lane and generally act unsafe and discourteous.
What a shame that things have changed.
Homer

Mount Carmel, PA

#20 Feb 3, 2008
Your worst nightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
And then all we'll have to do is move all the gas stations, department stores and every other business that depends on trucks to deliver their goods, next to the railroad tracks. Heck, as long as we're clearing the roads of truckers, why not remove all the idiots from the roads as well. Then I wouldn't have to worry about you people getting in my way anymore.
It isn't that there is no use for semis. It's simply that there are too many on the highways hauling long-distance freight that belongs on the trains. Using trains to do what they were invented to do will not only unclog the highways but also lower the energy consumption in this country.
Langamer

United States

#21 Feb 3, 2008
I still say most truckers are safer then the general public at large. No, not a trucker, just sick of the usual ricers, SUV's who think they can drive,etc.
I'd rather ruin a rim and try to get to a flat piece of offramp/gas station lot then change a tire on the interstate if possible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hobart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Feb 22 democrat 20,852
Black Oak,Indiana (Feb '09) Feb 8 bvh 69
News Aaron Phelps gets 15 years in prison (Mar '08) Jan '17 Ashely 38
Hoosier Cabinet info (Jul '07) Jan '17 Weaver 325
Johnny Ray Thompson AKA bubba teeth bubba t Bra... Jan '17 so you know 1
Looking for twins Sherri and Kerri.. Jan '17 Twins Sherri and ... 1
Twins Jan '17 Looking For Family 1

Hobart Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hobart Mortgages