One VERY rude nurse......

Posted in the Hixson Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 10

Cleveland, TN

#1 Apr 19, 2010
My grandmother suffered a massive stroke, and is in the step-down unit at erlanger hostpital in Chattanooga. I had gone to Florida, and since it was on my way, I stopped in to try to say hello on my way back. I had to phone from the front desk, and they said she had a phone in her room (she is unable to talk). I just asked what room/floor she was on and went up there. I had just missed the last visiting hours, and asked if I could sneak in, and say hi really quick because I was in a rush. I was told that I had to ask her nurse in the ICU room, but it would be about 20 more minutes before it would be possible. I sat and waited my 20 min, and went back to the nurses station. This is when the very rude nurse showed herself. I asked the same question again, and an approximately 60 year old woman with a salt and pepper perm just goes off on me telling me she knows what I'm trying to do, that people do it all the time, and that she was going to call security and have them drag me to the front door and "throw me out on my ass". I have no idea what she thought I was trying to do, but I am very offended at the whole situation. I understand not being able to go back there, but I AM an adult, all you have to say is what the head nurse said, "It's shift change, we really can't pull that one off right now I'm really sorry". I am flabberghasted at the nerve of that hateful ass woman. What did I do? Just what the hell was I trying to do other than visit my grandmother? I won't know until I talk to her boss tomorrow, I am going to go up there and wait all day if I have too for her to come back on the clock. If I have my way she won't be a nurse much longer. I have taken some classes and would like to be a nurse one day because I CARE about people. This woman if obviously in it for the money or something. I know I DO NOT want her working on my grandmother if she has an attitude like that with me. I thought it was a good thing to visit your relatives in the hospital. I want to talk to her boss and find out what my motives were because I had myself convinced I was there to tell my Nana I loved her, but I guess I have alterior motives? For the record this nurse is on the 6th floor of Erlanger Hostpital in the step-down ICU unit, and has mostly white hair, say salt and pepper with a ton of salt. I had to post this somewhere because it was the most unprofessional thing I have seen come from the health care industry. The only thing I can say is what a rude bitch, and I hope her head rolls for whatever false accusations she made. Last time I checked, we were paying them about a hundred grand per day so I don't think they have any right to tell me what I'm there for or have security "throw me out on my ass" for trying to visit when I can. I love when people know why I am doing something, and "I don't".

Since: Apr 10

Cleveland, TN

#2 Apr 19, 2010
Oh by the way the mostly salt with a little pepper hair is in a perm. She's also kinda fat. I hope she goes to her special place in hell for all the people I'm sure she's been rude too.
Impacted

Chattanooga, TN

#3 Apr 19, 2010
You may want to visit this list: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/chattanooga-t...
DIAMOND DOG

Chattanooga, TN

#4 Apr 19, 2010
sounds to me like you may have a law suit. I would talk to an attorney if i were you.
hello

Chattanooga, TN

#5 Jun 19, 2010
jamfanwp wrote:
Oh by the way the mostly salt with a little pepper hair is in a perm. She's also kinda fat. I hope she goes to her special place in hell for all the people I'm sure she's been rude too.
wait, so you wanna have sex with her? you need advice on how to get her? is that what your asking?
thetagmonkey

Llano, TX

#6 Jun 20, 2010
jamfanwp wrote:
My grandmother suffered a massive stroke, and is in the step-down unit at erlanger hostpital in Chattanooga. I had gone to Florida, and since it was on my way, I stopped in to try to say hello on my way back. I had to phone from the front desk, and they said she had a phone in her room (she is unable to talk). I just asked what room/floor she was on and went up there. I had just missed the last visiting hours, and asked if I could sneak in, and say hi really quick because I was in a rush. I was told that I had to ask her nurse in the ICU room, but it would be about 20 more minutes before it would be possible. I sat and waited my 20 min, and went back to the nurses station. This is when the very rude nurse showed herself. I asked the same question again, and an approximately 60 year old woman with a salt and pepper perm just goes off on me telling me she knows what I'm trying to do, that people do it all the time, and that she was going to call security and have them drag me to the front door and "throw me out on my ass". I have no idea what she thought I was trying to do, but I am very offended at the whole situation. I understand not being able to go back there, but I AM an adult, all you have to say is what the head nurse said, "It's shift change, we really can't pull that one off right now I'm really sorry". I am flabberghasted at the nerve of that hateful ass woman. What did I do? Just what the hell was I trying to do other than visit my grandmother? I won't know until I talk to her boss tomorrow, I am going to go up there and wait all day if I have too for her to come back on the clock. If I have my way she won't be a nurse much longer. I have taken some classes and would like to be a nurse one day because I CARE about people. This woman if obviously in it for the money or something. I know I DO NOT want her working on my grandmother if she has an attitude like that with me. I thought it was a good thing to visit your relatives in the hospital. I want to talk to her boss and find out what my motives were because I had myself convinced I was there to tell my Nana I loved her, but I guess I have alterior motives? For the record this nurse is on the 6th floor of Erlanger Hostpital in the step-down ICU unit, and has mostly white hair, say salt and pepper with a ton of salt. I had to post this somewhere because it was the most unprofessional thing I have seen come from the health care industry. The only thing I can say is what a rude bitch, and I hope her head rolls for whatever false accusations she made. Last time I checked, we were paying them about a hundred grand per day so I don't think they have any right to tell me what I'm there for or have security "throw me out on my ass" for trying to visit when I can. I love when people know why I am doing something, and "I don't".
You are so dam MAD,, I konw where you are coming from, I to have been there.
My experience was with my wife two years ago a badly broken leg and a little male Nurse.
She had had surgery to fix the break,the kind with two strips of metal and nine bolts/screws.
Things were going quite well until the squeaky little male nurse showed up on third shift.
Things became so bad with him that at 4:am I went out on the floor found the Head Nurse and had him expelled from the room.
The thing about it they would have probably thrown me out had the Head Nurse not have found he had set the pain pump up wrong, the result my wife wasn't the pain meds that she was supposed to get.
The Head Nurse said I should have come to her eariler.
It was almost a bad scene there the little male nurse came very close to getting the shit beat out of him.
Earlanger wouldn't disipline him I should have SUED his butt.
In the know

Cleveland, TN

#7 Jun 22, 2010
I used to work in healthcare but got out because of the crap that goes on in that field.Managers that have no business being managers. Administrators that make all kinds of money but have no clue.Also there are way to many "management" positions that are a total waste of time and money. That is what is wrong with our healthcare system.
Nurse

Cleveland, TN

#8 Jul 13, 2010
The nurse may have been rude but hospitals have rules for reasons. Nurses get very frustrated trying to take care of their patients when they are constantly having to stop to tell "Adult" visitors they are violating hospital policy. I wouldn't just walk past the counter and McDonalds to make my own hamburger. Being "fat" and rude are two different things. You could be accused of slander just as easily as she can be accused of being rude. And wishing someone to hell shows a lot about your character as well. By the way...If you leave in cleveland, tn it takes you 45 min at the most to get back to chattanooga. There are lots of nurses that work there that make that drive 3-5 days a week.
Nurse

Cleveland, TN

#9 Jul 13, 2010
I also doubt DIAMOND DOG you would get a law suit out of a nurse being rude. She may or may not have been out of line...you are only getting one side of the story....but I doubt someone can be sued for being rude.
new in town

Saint Augustine, FL

#10 Jul 13, 2010
jamfanwp wrote:
Last time I checked, we were paying them about a hundred grand per day so I don't think they have any right to tell me what I'm there for or have security "throw me out on my ass" for trying to visit when I can. I love when people know why I am doing something, and "I don't".
Ok so she may have been rude, make your complaint to her manager.
However, your not paying HER a "hundred grand a day" she is making maybe $300 a day taking care of more patients then she probably should because hospitals are always under staffed. Also, EVERY ICU/CCU/CVICU (any critical care area) has clearly posted visitation signs. A lot of them only let 1-2 visitor's at a time for 15 minutes every 2 hours. Those rules are there for patients safety. There are many reasons. Those rules are set up for multiple reasons. Sorry, you didn't get to see your grandmother that is ill.
Dave

Queenstown, MD

#11 Jan 7, 2013
She is probably mad because she is 60 years old having worked as a Nurse for 40 years, 12 hour days, sometimes no breaks always under staffed always under appreciated being verbally abused by doctors, patients and other nurses when she should be enjoying a retirement, but can't because they dropped her 401k and cut back on even more staff.

Nursing destroys your soul, its hard work. I don't know why she was so mean to you but i am just saying
JDFinSarasota

Sarasota, FL

#12 Jan 18, 2013
I have to make a statement: The only reason that some of these nurses act this way is because they are disillusioned with their pitiful lives or they realize they can get away with it. Allowing this kind of behavior only makes the healthcare industry worse than it already is. I just had a nurse hang up on me because she insisted I was being rude when all I was asking was to speak to the nurse who called me about my tests. I didn't think that that was rude. New one on me. Maybe the rn's (rude nurses) act that way because they think they ought to be treated as queens? Get a clue, rn's, it's just a job. Do your job and leave the editorials to yourself and your families, if you still have families. By the way, this was the same nurse whose incompetence caused me many problems because she didn't pay attention to my chart and gave me a medicine that hurt me. I wanted to let that go, but....who do I contact who can make a difference about this odd behavior? I've never sued anyone and that really isn't an option. Getting her out of the healthcare industry would be a great start. She is causing harm.
Recent ICU Patient

Mount Juliet, TN

#13 Mar 2, 2013
I was recently an ICU patient at Summit Medical Center in Hermitage TN. When they took me to the ICU from the emergency room I was initially greeted by one of the kindest nurses I’ve ever met. She was a young and petite girl in her early twenties. She went out of her way to help make me comfortable. Then the shift change came later that morning. While not every one of the nurses on the next shift was rude beyond belief, there were a couple that I honestly could not believe were allowed to deal with the general public. At one point I noted that I was unable to use the urine jug because I was not allowed to move after the procedure I had just received, and I was seriously restrained by the four IV lines, array of ECG wires, pressure cuff lines, and the wire going to that little thing on my finger. That’s when the rudest one yelled,“HOW ABOUT WE JUST GIVE YOU A CATHETER!” I told her that I was supposed to be leaving, according to the doctor, in a few hours, to which she replied,“FINE, GO SOMEWHERE AND BLEED TO DEATH!” Then she turned to the older nurse and shouted,“WOW THIS ONE IS RUDE!” That’s when the older nurse in the room said,“Yeah, he’s been that way all day!” To the best of my knowledge, I was doing pretty well with my demeanor given that I had not had any food, beverage, or sleep for over 24 hours. I honestly don’t know what I did to deserve to be yelled at like that, or told that I should just go and bleed to death somewhere. Oh, the best part, I mentioned that my nasal passages were getting stuffy, that’s when the old nurse literally ripped my oxygen tube-thingy off my head and said,“I’ve been a nurse for 38 years and I know for a fact that this oxygen is drying your sinuses out!” Okay, forgive me for living. To those of you who are nurses and are kind and understanding, I appreciate you very much for what you do. For those of you who are simply rude as hell and lack the ability to empathize with the patient, you have no business being in the position that you are in. Almost forgot…one nurse at the desk was updating her Facebook page while on the clock. Nice. I’m sure there was nothing else she could have been doing. This incident prompted me to research “rude nurses.” Unsurprisingly, they are the rudest to their own, primarily students and the less-experienced. It is bad enough to the point that studies have been done and terms developed to describe the phenomenon, such as “horizontal violence.” I’m not sure I ever want to go to a hospital again. Think I’d rather just “go somewhere and bleed to death.” And to you nurses who reply about bad days and whatever else that you believe excuses such behavior, all I can say is that your comment is moot and my personal response is “whatever.” Get another job if you can’t be nice.
nurse sadist

Chattanooga, TN

#14 Mar 3, 2013
Nursing takes a speicial person and frankly several people who enter the nursing profession are men and women who are lazy and unmotivated. Some women just like the title Nurse. It evokes an image of a woman on perhaps a soap opera of glamour or drama. Be a nurse have an affair and marry a Dr. Several women become CNAs to get off welfare. Its a easily entered course but sad that most women truly dont have the calling to be special caregivers that nurses should be. A nurse might argue that nursing schools not easy. Agree. Im sure there is lots to learn but if you dont have a natural bedside manner to go along with your academic success then you are wasting your time and making a sick persons hospital stay more like a stay in hell.
den

Quezon City, Philippines

#15 May 22, 2013
my bf is a nurse i always wonder which comes first, being rude or being a nurse lol
one day

Nashville, TN

#16 May 22, 2013
You "people" making all these complaints against nurses are more than likely the same people that nurses cannot stand to "do their job" to. More so...I bet you don't even know what their jobs entail, nor do you really care, because when people come to the hospital to receive care these days, they come to sadistically abuse the hospital staff because they know they can get away with it and nothing happen to them. Well guess what...that is about to change!!! Thank goodness there are laws now currently going into effect across the country to protect the INVALUABLE health care workers. So all you poor, pitiful people out there keep it in check next time you're in a hospital or you just make get a free trip to jail:)
Now listen

Dunlap, TN

#17 May 23, 2013
I have had several hospital stays and I have the kindest outlook towards everyone. I've never been ride a day in my life, I even crack jokes to the nurses, hoping it wouldn't break their face to smile! Neither side is right or wrong, the truth is, whether your a nurse or patient, rude people are everywhere. If you are paid to take care of people, than you bedside mannor is VERY much a part of it. If you are sick, just let these people do their jobs. They are just trying to do their jobs. If either side is rude than you deserve what you get! Now on the other hand , when I was in a car accident, I went to the E R and got put in a neck brace and strapped to a gurney, can someone tell me why I was left in the hallway, pushed to the side for 4 hours? Not docter or nurse would respond to me or let me up. I just had to pee! I had a severe case of whiplash and was tied down to a gurney!!!!! It's not being tied down but for 4 hours ignored,... Until my family came. They are the ones that had to undo me. They couldn't even get a docter to stop and ask if it was ok! I just walked out. I still have a pending bill from a docter I never saw!
Tommy

Nashville, TN

#18 Nov 12, 2013
Wow sounds like you all need to take a moment and get a grip. Sounds like you thought you were going to the Hilton and not a hospital.

I don't think you can sue people for being rude. Welcome to America it's not just hospitals everyone is rude now and again. Get a grip
ambr46

Phoenix, AZ

#19 Jul 14, 2015
one day wrote:
You "people" making all these complaints against nurses are more than likely the same people that nurses cannot stand to "do their job" to. More so...I bet you don't even know what their jobs entail, nor do you really care, because when people come to the hospital to receive care these days, they come to sadistically abuse the hospital staff because they know they can get away with it and nothing happen to them. Well guess what...that is about to change!!! Thank goodness there are laws now currently going into effect across the country to protect the INVALUABLE health care workers. So all you poor, pitiful people out there keep it in check next time you're in a hospital or you just make get a free trip to jail:)
Amen sister
ambr46

Phoenix, AZ

#20 Jul 14, 2015
ambr46 wrote:
<quoted text> Amen sister
I am a med surg nurse and sometimes things are so chaotic it makes your head spin. The multiple requests from patients for things like root beer, particular foods and snacks repeatedly, and family members attacking you the second after getting report when you haven't even reviewed the chart sucks time away from the patients who really need your help. We have to prioritize our time which sometimes comes across as rude or uncaring. I have been a patient so I know what that feels like but until you have been a nurse and can say you walked a day in our shoes then please don't criticize. We try our best but we are only human.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hixson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Married m for married f 9 min What about it 4
News 16 Known Dead From Storms In Tennessee (Apr '11) 57 min Stray- Dog 35,855
Look at me I like attention & my loser ex is crazy 5 hr Pleeeze 1
News 100,000 veterans face long waits to see VA doctors (Jun '14) 11 hr railrider 2
I miss you Lexi Nash 19 hr Ladyslippers 1
ashley Jons Fri riverbendgirl 1
This is what it now takes to get a job??? Thu ThomasA 33

Hixson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hixson Mortgages