Drugs & public assistance don't mix n...

Drugs & public assistance don't mix no more

Posted in the Hinton Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gotta_love_this

Daniels, WV

#1 Feb 9, 2012
According to the local news it looks like the bill passed for mandatory drug testing for anyone receiving public assistance. About time! I'm sure this is going to put a hurting on a lot of people getting those free checks! They will either get clean or no more freebies...it's about time! Here is how the bill reads:

The purpose of this bill is to create a drug testing program for applicants and recipients of temporary assistance for needy families cash benefits. Any applicant or recipient who fails an initial drug test will be required to pass a second drug test in the following thirty to sixty days to maintain eligibility for or recipients of these benefits. Failing the secondary drug test results in ineligibility for benefits for a period of two years, and requires a mandatory drug test as part of a reapplication for benefits. The bill provides for a substance abuse treatment program. The bill provides for protective or vendor payments to a third-party payee for the benefit of the members of the household. The bill also ensures confidentiality of records.
I Agree

United States

#2 Feb 10, 2012
Gotta_love_this wrote:
According to the local news it looks like the bill passed for mandatory drug testing for anyone receiving public assistance. About time! I'm sure this is going to put a hurting on a lot of people getting those free checks! They will either get clean or no more freebies...it's about time! Here is how the bill reads:
The purpose of this bill is to create a drug testing program for applicants and recipients of temporary assistance for needy families cash benefits. Any applicant or recipient who fails an initial drug test will be required to pass a second drug test in the following thirty to sixty days to maintain eligibility for or recipients of these benefits. Failing the secondary drug test results in ineligibility for benefits for a period of two years, and requires a mandatory drug test as part of a reapplication for benefits. The bill provides for a substance abuse treatment program. The bill provides for protective or vendor payments to a third-party payee for the benefit of the members of the household. The bill also ensures confidentiality of records.
"Gotta_love_this," I agree with you, and will offer my "two cents." I believe we need to change our language, and our thought process on this subject.

These people do not receive "free checks." They, and the "poverty-pimps" who not only encourage them to apply, but also obtain their bread and butter from this system, are parasites leaching OUR money, stealing the sweat of OUR brow, and robbing the future of OUR children. For far too long we have used euphemisms such as "government check," "public assistance," "Welfare," "compassion for the 'poor'," "think of the children," and the like to describe this parasitic and, in the final analysis, enslaving arrangement.

However, instead of complaining about this issue, I offer some solutions to consider---some of which will no doubt be controversial:

1. We need to defund this parasitic system, either through the ballet, or we simply refuse to pay taxes at ALL LEVELS (I know many will disagree with this tact, but the consequences for doing so are far more preferable than the continued enslavement of ourselves and our children. Besides, wasn't it Patrick Henry who uttered the famous words: "Give me liberty, or give me death."?)

2. We need a Constitutional amendment that strips people receiving UNEARNED funds from the Treasury of the right to vote, otherwise they will continue to vote for those who are buying their votes with OUR money

3. We need to organize against this socially and morally damning system, which is nothing more than a self-imposed assault on OUR constitution, and OUR freedom on local levels all across the nation, by openly an continually calling these parasites exactly what they are: parasites, or parasitic taskmasters; and

4. We need to begin doing these things now
Buckwheat

Columbia, MD

#3 Feb 10, 2012
If they even had some one to investigate these SSI fool.But they won't.They work all year on there side jobs,Rubbing it in our faces.I tell them to there faces what I think of them.Until the government wants to do something,Nothing will be done.Investigating would not be hard.If a person call in information on one,That leads to a drop in benefits.That person gets 6 months of what the government saved.I could make a living at it.And I would let each one know that it was me,That took my money back.That you stole from me and every other working person.
judi59hhs

Champlin, MN

#4 Feb 10, 2012
"I Agree" sure does make a great case. For some families, welfare is all they know...it is a way of life handed down through generations! The biggest problem would be finding politicians with guts enough to change a failed system. The Christ said if a man doesn't work, he shall not eat. We need to find a Christian way to take care of truly needy children without helping their worthless parents, take care of the needy elderly and/or disabled, and be responsible to the taxpayer who funds it all!! People with our view will never get elected....too many bleeding-heart liberals who want to keep them at the public trough because they mostly vote democrat.
Julie

Lubbock, TX

#5 Feb 10, 2012
Just remember all this when election time comes around. Obama wants more people depending on tne government and to take more of your earnings and give it to the bums that dont work. This has to be the very worst president in the history of our country.
River Ridge

Saint Albans, WV

#6 Feb 10, 2012
I think that Captain John Smith, one of our earlier leaders, also said, "Those who dont work wont eat". He went on to save the Jamestown colony from total failure by following that very rule. In short, the incentive to work should be greater than the incentive not to work.
u devil

Oak Hill, WV

#7 Feb 10, 2012
judi59hhs wrote:
"I Agree" sure does make a great case. For some families, welfare is all they know...it is a way of life handed down through generations! The biggest problem would be finding politicians with guts enough to change a failed system. The Christ said if a man doesn't work, he shall not eat. We need to find a Christian way to take care of truly needy children without helping their worthless parents, take care of the needy elderly and/or disabled, and be responsible to the taxpayer who funds it all!! People with our view will never get elected....too many bleeding-heart liberals who want to keep them at the public trough because they mostly vote democrat.
"judi59hhs", you just had to drag Jesus into your argument. However, Jesus has never been quoted as saying that anyone is "worthless". You were blessed to be born into a family that taught you the value of work but what should we do with people who were not so blessed as you? Are you going to take in foster children?
Jake

Lubbock, TX

#8 Feb 10, 2012
u devil wrote:
<quoted text>"judi59hhs", you just had to drag Jesus into your argument. However, Jesus has never been quoted as saying that anyone is "worthless". You were blessed to be born into a family that taught you the value of work but what should we do with people who were not so blessed as you? Are you going to take in foster children?
Those that were not blessed with the value of working and dont, should be blessed with the value of not getting a handout.
judi59hhs

Champlin, MN

#9 Feb 10, 2012
u devil wrote:
<quoted text>"judi59hhs", you just had to drag Jesus into your argument. However, Jesus has never been quoted as saying that anyone is "worthless". You were blessed to be born into a family that taught you the value of work but what should we do with people who were not so blessed as you? Are you going to take in foster children?
I did not say Jesus called anyone "worthless". After a person reaches his or her teen years, they should have sense enough to look around and see that people who work are certainly better off than those who don't Proud people want to support themselves and help others, but they certainly don't want those "others" to take what they have worked hard for. And, no, I don't want to take in foster children...I'm 70 yrs. old and we raised our kids without asking anyone for anything! We didn't spend our money on alcohol or drugs.
kitten

Elizabeth, WV

#10 Feb 10, 2012
The trouble today is to many people think they are
owed a living.abusing all the systems out there
ssi,welefare.ect.when i was growing up thats how i was taught if you don't work you don't eat.and
that's the way it needs to be,no one is owed any
thing.make your living by the sweat of your brow.
eff

Elizabeth, WV

#11 Feb 10, 2012
The third party payee is good. No one wants the kids to starve or do without clothing.
christo

Oak Hill, WV

#12 Feb 10, 2012
typical republican drivel. Mention christ to get elected but never ever use any actual Christ like ideals in your policy.

Machievelli had it right so long ago. It's good for the people to think that you are a christian but a good ruler should never actually exhibit any christian traits.

Wonder if jesus would find any one "worthless"

As for government wasted it will be funny when you find out that the savings of cutting off aid from the few will be vastly offset by the cost of drug testing them.

And finally even if folks wanted to work it's not like there's a big surplus of jobs. Very few in America in general and in Hinton in particular.
you want it

Oak Hill, WV

#13 Feb 10, 2012
well if u you think it's bad now just wait . alot of business comes from these welfare people and their checks ,foodstamps and whatnot.lol talk about ghost towns .
River Ridge

Saint Albans, WV

#14 Feb 11, 2012
And the argument rattles on and on. We have debated the issue of welfare and the like for years and no solution has eveer been implemented that came near to solving the problem. Clinton enacted (with help) the welfare reform act some years back and for a while it seemed to help but now that program is but a distant memory. I would just like to know what would happen if all the people whose tax payments support these welfare payments to those in need were to stop work as well. We have come to a sorry place in history when an education and work ethic is a liability rather than a necessity.
Buckwheat

Petersburg, VA

#15 Feb 11, 2012
you want it wrote:
well if u you think it's bad now just wait . alot of business comes from these welfare people and their checks ,foodstamps and whatnot.lol talk about ghost towns .
In fact that's why we can't get a Business to stay here.Once the bums spend there hand out,It's over.And the bums is why we can't get decent people to come here.
judi59hhs

Champlin, MN

#16 Feb 11, 2012
christo wrote:
typical republican drivel. Mention christ to get elected but never ever use any actual Christ like ideals in your policy.
Machievelli had it right so long ago. It's good for the people to think that you are a christian but a good ruler should never actually exhibit any christian traits.
Wonder if jesus would find any one "worthless"
As for government wasted it will be funny when you find out that the savings of cutting off aid from the few will be vastly offset by the cost of drug testing them.
And finally even if folks wanted to work it's not like there's a big surplus of jobs. Very few in America in general and in Hinton in particular.
You liberals try to spin everything..I challenge you to prove that I said Christ called anyone "worthless". Am I a Christian? I sure am, and I live what I preach. If a person can't find a job in Hinton, there's a whole big world out there. Many of us had to leave that area to find decent jobs and live decent lives. I believe in "a hand up", not a "hand-out". You might try Christianity...it's awesome!!!
Hershell

Chapmanville, WV

#17 Feb 11, 2012
The children are the ones who suffer other way.
eff

Elizabeth, WV

#18 Feb 11, 2012
The real problem with public assistance is not substance but the multi generational dependence and the lifestyle that develops with it. Everyone has periods of need from time to time but some families have not supported themselves for generations. Should not other althernatives be looked for raising the the next generation of their children?

I say make public assistance fairly easy to get for maybe six months. A little more complicatd for a couple of years. After, transfer the children to someone who can support them.
use ur brain

Oak Hill, WV

#19 Feb 12, 2012
eff wrote:
The real problem with public assistance is not substance but the multi generational dependence and the lifestyle that develops with it. Everyone has periods of need from time to time but some families have not supported themselves for generations. Should not other althernatives be looked for raising the the next generation of their children?
I say make public assistance fairly easy to get for maybe six months. A little more complicatd for a couple of years. After, transfer the children to someone who can support them.
There are NOT enough foster homes for children as we speak & you want to "transfer" children? Because there are limited numbers of foster parents in this area we end up with 6 highly needy foster children in the approved foster home of a single mother. She isn't able to meet their needs any more than their birth parents but she won't beat or molest them. Unless you have a real solution for where these children are actually going to be placed, I find your argument to be ignorant. We are all frustrated by generational poverty but we spend more money on unnecessary wars than we do on ending poverty at home.
For Sale

Lubbock, TX

#20 Feb 12, 2012
Its time to stop the abuse of the system, look at how the system is being played. Many go to their doctor get scripts pick them up and out to the street to sell them.You can see this any day of the week on the corner of third ave. Others get their food stamp cards or wic and sell them for half the worth to buy alcolol or other things. This way of life is a job for many people in our area getting everything from cell phones to cars furnature food and money,they work the system to get it all, and then go out and sell it for cash. Its time for our government to realize this system is so abused buy so many and must be fixed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kendra Wheeler (Oct '13) 41 min Bad ass visitor 22
Change one letter.... (Oct '08) 1 hr _Zoey_ 2,852
how is everyone after the flood 4 hr casual observer 8
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 11 hr loan 1,337
I just got test back that my 11 yr old daughter... 17 hr Earl Ray 13
Let's play follow the word (Oct '08) Sat SWAMP WITCH 3,074
Change A Word Game (Jul '11) Sat SWAMP WITCH 3,357
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hinton Mortgages