Summers County Prom
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
concerned student

Fayetteville, WV

#1 Apr 24, 2010
I am very upset about the way 2 special ed students were treated at our prom by our principal Mr Niswander.These 2 students were at the prom with their mothers when the principal told the moms they had to leave their kids alone there.It was very obvious they could not be left alone,these 2 students are very well like by their classmates and there was NO reason for this to have been done to them.These 2 students left the prom crying along with their mothers and I don't know about anyone else,but this put a damper on my prom
brookie

Beckley, WV

#2 Apr 24, 2010
I was not there and do not know the details of this but if it as you have stated I would be the first to donate money to these mom's for the lawyer bills to bring action against this principal!
Former Mom

United States

#3 Apr 24, 2010
I know that this school has gone to h$ll in a hand basket. The was a girl that wanted to take her boyfriend and couldn't because "he might touch one of the children." Now that was uncalled for. I think that this school really needs a make-over. Mr. Niswander and the teacher that helped with the prom needs to go. Those mothers didn't need to leave their children. They need to go see a lawyer because that was just wrong. I would be talking to someone come Monday if I was them. There should be a lawyer somewhere that is willing to take this on for pro bono.
comment

Charleston, WV

#4 Apr 24, 2010
I hate to hear that. Glad I went to that school before Mr. Niswander became principal, he sounds like a real a$$hole! Isnt that like discrimination against those children? I think that the rules are awful, I mean who wants to handle a hallway pass when some of the children don't wash their hands when they come from the restroom? I think the worst of all is the kids arent allowed to use a cellphone, I mean I can see them being prohibited in the classroom but what would happen if a real emergency occourd? I was at that school several years ago and the school was flooded and we had to be transported to the middle school and the only way that most of the kids got ahold of a parent was from a cell phone. For Mr Niswander: The High School isn't an Elementary School, grow up!
adding my 2 cents

Sophia, WV

#5 Apr 24, 2010
Former Mom wrote:
I know that this school has gone to h$ll in a hand basket. The was a girl that wanted to take her boyfriend and couldn't because "he might touch one of the children." Now that was uncalled for. I think that this school really needs a make-over. Mr. Niswander and the teacher that helped with the prom needs to go. Those mothers didn't need to leave their children. They need to go see a lawyer because that was just wrong. I would be talking to someone come Monday if I was them. There should be a lawyer somewhere that is willing to take this on for pro bono.
The principal and teachers have the right to screen who comes to the prom. I would need to know why the boyfriend "might touch one of the children" certainly there was some problem.
common sense

Beckley, WV

#6 Apr 24, 2010
There was a short time ago when parents were welcomed to prom and other school events and involved...kids, parents and school staff had good times.
If a person outside school, a brother, father or friend, other was not in school, the student could get a waiver to bring that person to Prom instead of a "Date," per se.

There is a lot of mean spirited things going on in schools today in all areas with staff, parents and kids - no common sense policies.
keener

Sophia, WV

#7 Apr 24, 2010
common sense wrote:
There was a short time ago when parents were welcomed to prom and other school events and involved...kids, parents and school staff had good times.
If a person outside school, a brother, father or friend, other was not in school, the student could get a waiver to bring that person to Prom instead of a "Date," per se.
There is a lot of mean spirited things going on in schools today in all areas with staff, parents and kids - no common sense policies.
Those adults who volunteer around schools these days have to have background checks. Times have changed & there are too many pervs!
But the mothers of the kids with disabilities could have gotten approved-I wonder if they told anyone they were coming?
Somewhere in Summers Co

United States

#8 Apr 24, 2010
There are a few originations out there that might be willing to help the parents out if they wish to look in to this. One I don't like is the ACLU. some better ones are the Christian Law Association http://www.christianlaw.org/cla/ and The American Center for Law and Justice www.aclj.org with a little more reseach there are more out there.
Sombody needs to know that saw this that is willing to make a statement. If you don't make a statement it never happened and everything is safe in the educational world, or for that matter Summers County.
Write the news paper, contact the state Ed. poeple
no case

Sophia, WV

#9 Apr 24, 2010
Somewhere in Summers Co wrote:
There are a few originations out there that might be willing to help the parents out if they wish to look in to this. One I don't like is the ACLU. some better ones are the Christian Law Association http://www.christianlaw.org/cla/ and The American Center for Law and Justice www.aclj.org with a little more reseach there are more out there.
Sombody needs to know that saw this that is willing to make a statement. If you don't make a statement it never happened and everything is safe in the educational world, or for that matter Summers County.
Write the news paper, contact the state Ed. poeple
It doesn't sound to me like these kids were denied any rights. The kids were not asked to leave according to the original post. Anyway, it would be the WV Advocates that you need to call. Their main office is located in Charleston but they travel all over the state. Google search the number. But I think it will be a waste of time.
sms mom

Oak Hill, WV

#10 Apr 24, 2010
concerned student wrote:
I am very upset about the way 2 special ed students were treated at our prom by our principal Mr Niswander.These 2 students were at the prom with their mothers when the principal told the moms they had to leave their kids alone there.It was very obvious they could not be left alone,these 2 students are very well like by their classmates and there was NO reason for this to have been done to them.These 2 students left the prom crying along with their mothers and I don't know about anyone else,but this put a damper on my prom
If these are "special ed" students then they should already have a program in place that would have allowed them to have their own chaperone/helper there with them. It used to be that you not only had to buy a ticket to the prom, but also sign up for it. All of this should have been addressed before the prom was due to start.
Somewhere in Summers Co

United States

#11 Apr 24, 2010
Ok from my last post that should be the last thing to do. I jump the gun a little. Queston should be asked to the people in charge. Then call the Summers County Board of Education and contact the Special Ed. Coordinator or the Director. With in a short time they should have answer. Years ago when I had problems with my child I went straight to them problem was solved. I did tell them my next contact would be the state special education office. Sorry I jump the gun there, I'm not a fan of Summers County High School
What

Blacksburg, VA

#12 Apr 25, 2010
I certainly think special needs kids need to be allowed to attend school events. these kids do go to school everyday and are placed in the care of school employees. I mean their parents dont attend school with them and take them to every class. Parents were not chaparones at Prom this year from what I have heard. Of course a reasonable accomadation should have been made for instance allowing the parents in this case to remain in the lobby should their kids need them. I don't know they were not offered a reasonable accomadation, from what I have read and heard they wanted to remain in the prom as long as their kids were their and were told that was not an option. As far as a law suit unless you can prove some gross neglagence on the part of the Principal and lets be honest you can't a law suit is not going to get very far.
mom

Fayetteville, WV

#13 Apr 25, 2010
I am one of those students parent,and yes Mr.Niswander told us we could not be at the prom with our kids BUT the superintendent over ruled him and told us we could do what we did last year and that was to stay at the table with our kids.He informed us that he didn't care what the superintendent said that he wanted us OUT. The one student was in the middle of a bad tremor but he could have cared less.As far as the teachers at the prom,that was a joke ,they were ALL out in the lobby,not one of them were inside watching the students,so how could we trust them with our kids,and if this is how things are going to be at Summers county high,then there need to be new IEPS,according to them these students can go any where and do anything they want so I for one am going to make them eat their words.These kids had their whole senior prom ruined all because Mr. Niswander wanted to show everyone how big and bad he thinks he is,well Mr.Niswander,how do you feel now that you hurt 2 special kids?
comment

Charleston, WV

#14 Apr 25, 2010
You had to stay at the table with your kids? That means that your children couldn't get up and dance. I can't believe that a parent wouldn't be allowed in the same room with their kids at their prom. I mean what in the world does he think you would try to do? I definately think someone should report this low life principal. No one has liked this man since he started being prinicpal at the school. I would set down and write a letter to Charleston if I were you. Evidently he doesn't care about the kids, just himself.
What

Blacksburg, VA

#15 Apr 25, 2010
I certainly am not trying to defend the principal and don't know all the facts, however I think you do need to be consistent. I can see where the parent may prefer to be at the table with their kid however was it medically necessary? I would think not since the kids do attend school without the parent being present, so it was a preference rather than a necessity. If he allowed this then how could he then deny other parents from attending the prom? And for that matter grandparents etc. You have to have rules that apply to everyone.
Idfileacomplaint

Lewisburg, WV

#16 Apr 25, 2010
What wrote:
I certainly am not trying to defend the principal and don't know all the facts, however I think you do need to be consistent. I can see where the parent may prefer to be at the table with their kid however was it medically necessary? I would think not since the kids do attend school without the parent being present, so it was a preference rather than a necessity. If he allowed this then how could he then deny other parents from attending the prom? And for that matter grandparents etc. You have to have rules that apply to everyone.
While at school (or functions that are held for the students on school grounds) it is the responsibility of the staff to insure the safety and medical needs of the children are met. However, at a school function where the appointed chaperones and attending staff are too busy talking in the hallway and not paying attention to what is going on with the children, that responsibility is far from being met and it would be medically necessary for the parent, or an aid to be with the children who have medical issues. The mother mentioned the other child having tremors during the incident so yes, it would be medically necessary to have someone with that child to make sure his/her safety and health were not in jeopardy. I want to see the written rule that says a parent cannot stay at a school function in an effort to make sure that the safety of his/her child is being met. I can guarantee that I can find a lot of parents who will veto that rule in a heartbeat. Parents have rights, whether the principal likes it or not.
schs parent

Lubbock, TX

#17 Apr 25, 2010
What wrote:
Its time for a change at Summers County High School and i hope this mom makes sure it happens. Im so tired of hearing about this principals poor actions. Its a real shame we have to have a lawyer on standby to protect our childrens rights from people like this in our public schools.
hmm

Oak Hill, WV

#18 Apr 25, 2010
You may want to get in contact with a woman whoes last name is "Wiley", she is always threating to sue the school over discrimination against her child. She may be able to steer you in the right direction.(Boyfriend plays music)

Since: Mar 08

Hinton

#19 Apr 25, 2010
mom wrote:
I am one of those students parent,and yes Mr.Niswander told us we could not be at the prom with our kids BUT the superintendent over ruled him and told us we could do what we did last year and that was to stay at the table with our kids.He informed us that he didn't care what the superintendent said that he wanted us OUT. The one student was in the middle of a bad tremor but he could have cared less.As far as the teachers at the prom,that was a joke ,they were ALL out in the lobby,not one of them were inside watching the students,so how could we trust them with our kids,and if this is how things are going to be at Summers county high,then there need to be new IEPS,according to them these students can go any where and do anything they want so I for one am going to make them eat their words.These kids had their whole senior prom ruined all because Mr. Niswander wanted to show everyone how big and bad he thinks he is,well Mr.Niswander,how do you feel now that you hurt 2 special kids?
This has just made me cry.
I couldn't stand that man before and I think now I'm close to despising him. I hate that the kids weren't able to enjoy their prom. Allowing you - and the parents of the others - to stay wouldn't have mattered a wit. I had several at the prom and they never even saw each other - nor did they see any of the chaperones. Well, at least inside because, as you stated, they were all in the lobby the entire time.
Again I'm sorry.
I hope that y'all are able to find some resolution - not that you can get back that prom night.=(
mom

Fayetteville, WV

#20 Apr 25, 2010
I need to clarify a few things,yes we sat at our kids table,it was a table with 3 special ed students and the 2 parent,and as for other parents wanting to stay,I think not,their kids are NOT special ed.We have had inclusion shoved down our throats for a few years now,this was definitely not inclusion,it was exclusion to the fullest form.And as far as this being a school rule about parents not being allowed at the prom then it's a new rule created by the so called principal,our kids did get to dance 2 times,these students were treated badly from the very beginning,it was apparent they weren't welcome.It was a very bad experience,not anything like last year,Mrs Farley and Miss Butts are the greatest,wish there were more teachers like these 2,they have hearts unlike the crew that was there this year.I want to thank everyone for your support,and we are going to Charleston,and we are not going to let this be swept under the rug.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*Chane 1 Letter* (Nov '12) 1 hr now now 2,200
Becky grimmett 23 hr Seriously 14
School Mon Mad Mom 11
Where is Mary Ellen Bennett Mon Mom 10
Hayward cales Mon Curious 1
Veronica ??? Mon Archie 3
Michelle Gross (Jul '15) Sun Is this the one 21

Hinton Jobs

Personal Finance

Hinton Mortgages