First Prev
of 124
Next Last
river rat

Princeton, WV

#2518 Feb 9, 2014
the bbq's at bowling's dairy bar were to die for. 2 bbq's, fries and a ice cold pepsi. we would go to doyle's market and pop and a cake and give part of the cake to the old guy that hung around there. I think they called him Murdock. I remember seeing steamboat bill pick up cigarette or cigar butts off the sidewalk and finish smoking them. steamboat always carried a cabbage sack over his shoulder.
River ridge

Casanova, VA

#2519 Feb 9, 2014
I had forgotten steam boat bill and mr Murdock. A couple of characters indeed. Bill was from elk knob and mr Murdock was from willowood
Sassafras

San Antonio, TX

#2520 Feb 9, 2014
I still watch for postings under "Memories" as they do bring back memories. I didn't live in Hinton....Hinton was where we "went to town" and it was a big deal back then. Especially on Saturdays or near the first of the month, there were people everywhere. Remember the commodity cheese that was sought after....the commodity distribution on the Memorial Building, the "passes" for C&O Railway travel, The Old Mill ...those from Talcott will remember that special little place where one could buy a fully loaded hot dog and a pop for a quarter.
Lea

Lewisburg, WV

#2521 Feb 9, 2014
I love what you said about "going to town"...it made me remember just about everyone who lived a few miles out of Hinton had the special trips to town or the regular ones, usually on weekends for groceries and supplies. In the Summer, that was the only time you ran into schoolmates who lived out a bit. Some store owners traded different items to people for the cheese as it was so popular, and I think the building that housed the Old Mill is still in Talcott, but wouldn't it be great to have it look like it used to? There wasn't much to do there, so that place must have a special spot in your memory.
River ridge

Pittsburgh, PA

#2522 Feb 11, 2014
Funny to be talking of the old mill. As a student at talcott high school I spent many hours there. It and the gym at talcott is about all that is left except our memories. Mrs tabor, mrs pittino and mrs Lilly will always be favorite memories of mine. As will mr via, mr fix and mr Wallace. Of course we can't leave mr cox out.
Ex-pat

United States

#2523 Feb 11, 2014
Does anyone remember Junes Beauty Salon when it was on Ballengee? When i was little all of Hinton society went there? Does anyone know if shes still around?
Sassafras

Austin, TX

#2524 Feb 11, 2014
River ridge wrote:
Funny to be talking of the old mill. As a student at talcott high school I spent many hours there. It and the gym at talcott is about all that is left except our memories. Mrs tabor, mrs pittino and mrs Lilly will always be favorite memories of mine. As will mr via, mr fix and mr Wallace. Of course we can't leave mr cox out.
....and also Mrs. Lilly, Mrs. Willey, Dessie Cox the cook who made an awesome cherry cobbler. I remember when Mrs. Pittino as class sponsor led the graduating class in to the gym and the cutting edge dress pants suit she wore...a rather daring thing at the time. The jukebox at The Old Mild was so special as well.
I was there

Gastonia, NC

#2525 Feb 12, 2014
not too old wrote:
There was also a bar right above the armory on the river, I think it was a log cabin but can't recall the name, I think maybe Freddie Bush run it or had something to do with it. Remember the drive-in theater somewhere up the river maybe around where State Road garage is?
For those who may not remember….it was called the RED DOG. It changed names a few times…the original opened at an old country store at HIX which was previously owned by non other than Mr. Marion Obrian. He hated that Bar there. It mysteriously burned to the ground. What times those were. Lot's of party's All Of The Time!
River ridge

Pittsburgh, PA

#2526 Feb 17, 2014
Can anyone recall when Look magazine did some stories on poverty and interviewed two of Talcotts more notorious residents on the porch of one of the stores? It was in the summer of 61 I think. I know that Mrs Pittino was about as mad as I ever saw her over it.
Huh

Princeton, WV

#2527 Feb 17, 2014
I remember fish ponds at the police station. We watched them when we got vaccinated in the basement of the courthouse. I also remember islands on the bellepoint side of the bridges. And the old incinerator. Madams creek kindergarten, Riverview and central schools.
River ridge

Pittsburgh, PA

#2528 Feb 18, 2014
I am afraid the children of today have missed out on many good experiences growing up in summers county. Those of us that were children of the fifties and sixties experienced life as no other children will ever do. Life here today is not comparable to the way things were back then.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2529 Apr 12, 2014
So true! Those wonderful times and expierences are gone forever but thankfully those of us who lived there ar the time will always cherish all of them. Who could ever forget the 5 or six passenger trains that came through Hinton back then? And walking into Keaton's Cleaners and Laundry and seeing Dallas Crook at the front counter? And going by the various car dealerships in Srptember and looking at all the new models for the coming year? And even things like hearing M ary Lou Reid "sparring " with Doug Richmond in Biology class ha ha
Lea

Princeton, WV

#2530 Jun 9, 2014
I just wanted to bring this back to the front page so I wouldn't have to search for it....also it's good reading to start from the beginning and refresh the memories on a rainy day. These two topics: Hinton in the 50's and this one are two of the most refreshing on here, so maybe we can keep them alive.
Sassafras

League City, TX

#2531 Jun 26, 2014
Remember all of the simple pleasures we enjoyed as kids...the games played with marbles, jumping rope, catching lightning bugs, wading in the creeks to find crawfish under rocks, baseball games, hide and seek, red rover and tag, climbing trees and swinging on grape vines, catching tadpoles in the ponds, playing in the summer rain and being awed by rainbows, sledding in the winter on anything that would slide.... and things that are almost outlawed nowadays like cowboys and Indians with cap guns and home made bows or target shooting with BB guns.
cleveland

Charleston, WV

#2532 Jun 26, 2014
Speaking of Willeys, it is hard to believe that in the sixties there are Doyle, Hinton Hdwe, and Deeds. Or was it the Deeds that ran Hdwe.
Bob

Havertown, PA

#2533 Aug 11, 2014
I'm glad to find these memory pages. My grandparents lived on Swell Mountain, and I remember many trips walking to Hinton and back, and stopping in many of those old stores and the grocery in town (Kroger's I think). My Dad and Mom met in Hinton after WW II when Dad was part of the construction company working on the Bluestone Dam.

Dad used to talk about eating at the restaurant in the railway station, and the really good steaks he got there. But the place I remember best was a place we called "Keffer's store" at the far end of the bridge near Madams Creek. We would always stop there for a bottle of pop and a snack cake or candy bar before we headed up the mountain carrying groceries. Mrs. Keffer (Frances?) was always nice and talked to us.

I remember the bus line, too, since we often rode over from my aunt's house in Beckley. And believe it or not, at least once a taxi took us up the hill, which is amazing considering how bad the road was at the time. And I do recall listening at night to the radio station with an earphone jack running from a tiny transistor radio.
Lea

Princeton, WV

#2534 Aug 13, 2014
Glad you have good memories of Hinton...I don't remember the store at the bridge end, but I may have been young enough that I didn't venture across the bridge unless it was on one of the 'occasional' car rides we took. The bus for sure, and we had the city bus line for daily transport, also the taxi in Hinton was a very popular mode of transportation for the town. I was eating at the "railroad" Diner when I was just a toddler, as many of us came from "railroad" families, so it was part of our life. Those trains weren't vital to Hinton just for livelihoods, or far away travel, but served as means to have an extended social life for the young. "Hopping" on the train was as normal to many as climbing in the car to go somewhere...thanks for the thoughts...new memories are nice!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 124
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Answer with a question (Oct '08) 1 hr ABERRANT 745
Audra Kidd lesbian lovers with Kendra Wheeler ... 1 hr hardline 13
Change one letter.... (Oct '08) 2 hr Analog man 1,431
last letter first (Sep '13) 2 hr Analog man 411
*Chane 1 Letter* (Nov '12) 2 hr Analog man 559
Let's play follow the word (Oct '08) 2 hr Analog man 2,633
Change A Word Game (Jul '11) 2 hr Analog man 2,128
Hinton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web