I also was there

Matthews, NC

#2498 Mar 10, 2013
Fays Sweet Shop, Island of the Red Hood, The Red Dog (Original at Hix) Saloon, Bootlegg in Avis, Racing Across Bluestone Bridge, Bellpoint Parties at the Dam, Jumping Branch Skinny Dipping, Climbing down the Piers of the old bridge at lunch drink'in Boones Farm, Mrs. Crowder's Mini Skirts, Mrs. B's Art Class, Stokes Stadium(the Stock Yards were still there), Bass Lake Dance Hall, There were actually fish in New River and Bluestone Lake, Bull Falls Parties, The Shack up on Leatherwood Road, Dr. Stokes was still alive and well, ....................I Miss it, Vacationing Babes at Pipestem Park (always at the pool), Ratskeller in Beckley, I will always remember..........
River Ridge

Wilmington, OH

#2499 Mar 11, 2013
Lea, most of us, now that we are older, have to work smarter. We look for ways to save time and energy. I have established a different set of priorities in my old age. If someone stops by I welcome it as a rest peroid for myself. In my youth I made work my top priority but not now. A few minutes spent over a cup of coffee or in a rocker on the back porch is a whole lot more important now.
Lea

Peterstown, WV

#2500 Mar 11, 2013
Oh yeah, at least we've earned the right to relax instead of worrying about the work...like they say "work's always going to be there"! I think the poster before you must be a bit younger than me, because I'm not familiar with The Shack on Leatherwood, certainly not the Ratskeller, Red Hood, Red Dog, Bootlegg etc. But if Bass Lake and the stockyards were still there, it can't be too late, so I must not have ventured so far out of town...also, maybe they were "boy" places. You know, Spring's nearly here, and my thoughts always run to GC Murphys, I guess because of the candies, baby chickens, etc...we usually don't go long without giving the wonderful old store a mention. Oh my!!
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Fort Wayne, IN

#2501 Mar 11, 2013
Oh yes and the wonderful aroma/smells coming at you when you entered the store especially on the side where the candy/popcorn was! Absolutely has to be in the top five favorite things I remember about going downtown in those days. Now that I am really older I find myself thinking back on those days a lot.
Sassafras

League City, TX

#2502 Mar 11, 2013
Yes, G. C. Murphy's was one of my favorite places as well. Comic books on the wall behind the candy counter, riding horse to the right of the stair, that certain way the floors would squeak...
River Ridge

Wilmington, OH

#2503 Mar 12, 2013
the characters selling pencils and gum have been mentioned on here a good deal earlier but most of what I remember about them was that I was a little scared of them. I beleive their names were Gordon Bowman and Sammy Harris. Now that I look back they were just people who were different than the norm.
My Home Too

Matthews, NC

#2504 Mar 14, 2013
CayleyA wrote:
If you would like to see a part of Hinton history go to this link...brings back memories...
http://www.wvculture.org/history/education/im...
Great Pictures. I wish I knew more about my fathers family and my heritage. Me and my siblings were always kept in the dark about most of it. I do miss home.
jdw

Beckley, WV

#2505 Mar 26, 2013
oh yeah wrote:
If my sources are right, Atlas Transfer was started by a Mr. Reed thus being called Reeds Transfer and was sold to a Mr. Persinger and the name changed. The skating rink was a popular place in its time.
the armory was there. hinton guard unit was called to active duty 1961 during the berlin wall thing and the new armory was built on greenbrier river while they were on active duty. they returned to the new armory in 1962
Clayton Montgomery

Raleigh, NC

#2506 Apr 1, 2013
I remember sleighing down James St. and turning the corner at the bottom and stopping at the drug store and getting hot chocolate. Also had Mrs. Wine as my 5th grade teacher who used to read us stories. And Mr. Saunders who gave me good paddling in the 5 Th grade.I watched the Western Auto Burn down. It was the main attraction on that day.The dairy Queen was the place to go for ice cream by the river and played little league baseball at the park in Bell Point.Everyone use to go to the skating ring on 5Th ave on Friday and Saturday nights boy was that place crowded.I lived right in front at 501 Summers ST.You could sleep with your front door open and use the screen door so you could feel the nights cool breeze. Yes those were the days of and an all American town that most people only dream of but we were all a part of it and I am sorry to say that we will never see again.
Lea

Peterstown, WV

#2507 May 15, 2013
Any ole body out there...I really miss posting on this site, and having so many others participating. We don't have to talk about "snow" now, but as much as even "I" was looking forward to Spring this year, I'm already tired of all the work. I don't forget from year to year, it's just that I'm a year older each time and less able to do so much...it's one of the worst parts of getting old. Hope to hear from some of you!
River Ridge

Charleston, WV

#2508 May 16, 2013
There are a few of us who check this strand once in a while I am sure. I am amazed by how much I can still plan to do and am equally amazed at how much of it I cant get around to each spring. having spent the winter in Charleston (most of it anyway) I am still trying to get caught up on all I didnt get done in the early spring. I Think I have decided to cut back considerably after this year. It seems that my chair needs a lot more attention than it used to.
Lea

Peterstown, WV

#2509 May 16, 2013
Yep, gotcha on that 'chair' thing, and so unfortunately, I now know what a true "couch potatoe" is all about! This is the first Spring I didn't get down to Hinton to see it in bloom...Spring always evokes a lot of school related memories...nothing's perfect, but I still wouldn't trade our "old" Hinton as a place to live or grow up in for any other place in this country! Years ago, it seemed like nearly every yard would have flowering bushes sending out beautiful scents, and I would "sneak" a bloom of lilac or whatever other bush I walked past on the way to school. I could talk about those Summer days as a child from now on (and probably have), but at it's worst, for most of us, it was still the most glorious time for living. Remember pa-paw trees???
River Ridge

Charlotte, NC

#2510 May 18, 2013
paw paw trees were more like bushes on the greenbrier where I finished growing up. I always wished there was some use for them in cooking. I have persimmons on my farm now and though they are loaded with fruit nearly every year I have yet to find a use for them. I remember the mulberry trees as well and it was only a few years ago that I had my first taste of Mulberry jelly. I must say it was really good.
Tom Peace

Houston, TX

#2511 Jul 6, 2013
I grew up in Charleston, but my church (The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) had youth camp at Camp Art Lough. Can anyone help me locate where the camp was on the Greenbrier River? I was 12 & 13 in 1966 & 1967 when I went there. I remember we swam and waded in the river. Sang a song where the chorus went "...or we'll throw you in the river, the river, the good ol' Greenbrier River. If you can't sing a rhyme, or sing it on time, we'll throw you in the river.(name)..."
I remember 3(?) log cabins with open bedrooms, the center being the mess hall gathering room. Across the road was a trail that lead up the hill (mountain) we called something related to it as "the lone pine" cause of one prominent tree. I remember the elm logs rotting and my mom telling me about Dutch Elm Disease.
Fascinating to see so many of us migrated to southeast Texas.
Lea

Peterstown, WV

#2512 Jul 6, 2013
Yes, it's a camp that so many of us attended as the 4-H camp, and has existed for nearly 60 years that I know of. It's still there, and still used as a youth camp...it's in the Barger Springs area that you can approach from several different points, and I imagine others may be able to have more updated information on it.
Once upon a time

Matthews, NC

#2513 Feb 5, 2014
Lea wrote:
Oh yeah, at least we've earned the right to relax instead of worrying about the work...like they say "work's always going to be there"! I think the poster before you must be a bit younger than me, because I'm not familiar with The Shack on Leatherwood, certainly not the Ratskeller, Red Hood, Red Dog, Bootlegg etc. But if Bass Lake and the stockyards were still there, it can't be too late, so I must not have ventured so far out of town...also, maybe they were "boy" places. You know, Spring's nearly here, and my thoughts always run to GC Murphys, I guess because of the candies, baby chickens, etc...we usually don't go long without giving the wonderful old store a mention. Oh my!!
Where did everyone go? I'd like to see more memories on here┬ůSurely we haven't talked about them all!!!!!
river rat

Princeton, WV

#2514 Feb 5, 2014
oh yeah wrote:
Beside of John Doyles market was John Ball Sporting Goods store. Jim Doyle, Johns brother, had a hardware store on third about where Dannys bar is now. We also had Willeys hardware and Deeds hardware. Sounds like we were a busy town. With these stores people very seldom had to go to Beckley or Princeton shopping. Remember going to town on Saturday morning and circling the blocks over and over to find a parking place?
do I remember ball's sporting goods. I had my dad meet me there at lunch one day and I bought my first deer rifle. carried it back to school and put it in my locker and at the end of the day took it home on the buss. try doing that today. suspension and jail time. also another place to eat was underneath the old hinton hospital, it was "the kitchen". the lady that ran it's name was myrtle. best cheese burger in town. those day are really behind us now but what memories.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2515 Feb 8, 2014
Yes and at the Kitchen restaurant on upper 3rd ave that lady had the most wonderful homemade pies especially cocoanut cream. yum yum and as I have mentioned before a great place to eat was at The Diner across from the Hinton Taxi Co on 2md ave.
Lea

Peterstown, WV

#2516 Feb 8, 2014
Yes, the days are behind us, and yes, there's a lot of memories which we have certainly hashed over on these two sites, but I can talk about them again. Several times I've even gone back to the first and reread many posts, but I believe that one subject that was never repeated was the "infamous" monkey...I still can't believe that I missed someone having a monkey in Hinton, especially if they kept him on an upper porch.
river rat

Princeton, WV

#2517 Feb 9, 2014
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Tony Presley was his name . A Elvis couson.
Sorry, his name was steve presley

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Little Free Library in Avis 2 hr Jace 1
House Fire 9 hr in heat again 5
Kendra Wheeler (Apr '08) 19 hr faith 104
Taco station on bypass Hinton. 21 hr Freddy 20
Change one letter.... (Oct '08) 22 hr _Zoey_ 2,864
Bliss 22 hr pootie 9
Let's play follow the word (Oct '08) 22 hr We Are Almost There 3,084

Hinton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance