League City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Missionary wrote:
My Great Grandfather, William J. Grimmett pastored Upland Baptist Church in 1905, and was the founder, I believe. He also pastored at Fairview Baptist Church, and Elk Knob Baptist Church.
My Grandmother was Edna Grimmett who married Wilbur Clayton Rice or *Bud Rice*. She told me stories of how her father was a circuit riding preacher, and she grew up on Elk Knob in Summers County. I went with her to see the cabin she lived in, the old church, and Elk Knob cemetery.
Does anyone out there know any Grimmett's, Rice's, or Buckland's and Boone's???
My great-great-grandfather was G. Floyd Boone and great-great-grandmother was his wife Clara Snyder "Snide" Rice whose brother was Charles Rice (his 1st and 1nd wives were Bucklands).
Diana Boone Lewellen

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Missionary wrote:
My Great Grandfather, William J. Grimmett pastored Upland Baptist Church in 1905, and was the founder, I believe. He also pastored at Fairview Baptist Church, and Elk Knob Baptist Church.
My Grandmother was Edna Grimmett who married Wilbur Clayton Rice or *Bud Rice*. She told me stories of how her father was a circuit riding preacher, and she grew up on Elk Knob in Summers County. I went with her to see the cabin she lived in, the old church, and Elk Knob cemetery.
Does anyone out there know any Grimmett's, Rice's, or Buckland's and Boone's???
My Great Grandfather was General Floyd Boone. He is buried at Elk Knob. His wife, Clara Snyder Rice Boone, I believe is buried in Talcott cemetery. I have not found her yet, but just realized I was looking for her in Elk Knob and she isn't there. My grandmother was Effie Grimmett. I own the land that the Judson Freewill Baptist Church sits on, but I live in Oklahoma. I've been trying to find information on the church to see if it is still functioning, but no luck yet. I was told it shut down some years ago. I've been through the Elk Knob cemetery and have many pictures of the stones, etc.
Sassafras

League City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2013

Diana Boone Lewellen wrote:
<quoted text>
My Great Grandfather was General Floyd Boone. He is buried at Elk Knob. His wife, Clara Snyder Rice Boone, I believe is buried in Talcott cemetery. I have not found her yet, but just realized I was looking for her in Elk Knob and she isn't there. My grandmother was Effie Grimmett. I own the land that the Judson Freewill Baptist Church sits on, but I live in Oklahoma. I've been trying to find information on the church to see if it is still functioning, but no luck yet. I was told it shut down some years ago. I've been through the Elk Knob cemetery and have many pictures of the stones, etc.
Snyde Rice Boone after passing from injuries inflicted by her cow was buried at the Talcott Cemetery...any stone if she ever had one... is gone. Floyd and Snyde's grandchildren Nelsie Boone Roberts Robinson, Alpha Boone Meadows Hoke and Mary Elizabeth Boone Dawson are buried near Floyd at Elk Knob.
Lyn

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2014

Cool Hand Clem wrote:
Great history lesson..thanks!
:-)
My Grandmother was Heidi Grimmett Boland and her sister Deliah married a Bragg
Ron

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2014

I remember the Upland Baptist Church from the years I lived in Hinton. Do they still have services there?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 13 min fitness-guru 56,632
WV How To Open A Beer With A Banana 26 min Momma Bear 167
Politics 2 hr laughing 9
Truck 3 hr Right 3
Hintons Biggest Narc Informant 3 hr Paige Paul mary 1
Second of four Hinton fires ruled arson (Mar '08) 3 hr Phil 6
Hinton Daily News 3 hr FYI 5

Search the Hinton Forum:
•••
•••
Hinton Dating

more search filters

less search filters