Elk Knob church 1905 2

Posted in the Hinton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Logical

Beckley, WV

#1 Nov 24, 2009
This picture is of the old log church at Upland . Upland Baptist Church . I grew up in this church and have this picture .
Elk Knob was a bit bigger and of course it was past the Hix Crossroads . Often these churches had the same preacher . Specially for revival meetings .

I love these old pictures and a part of my heart is still there .

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

nimitz,wva

#2 Nov 27, 2009
i'm glad you liked it.and thanx 4 clearing that up.i thought it was the upland church as well.but then i saw the other and thought i was wrong
UPLAND Log Church

Mount Hope, WV

#3 Nov 27, 2009
Hello...

Where did you find this photo of UPLAND COMMUNITY LOG CHURCH?

Thanks.
country hillbilly wrote:
i'm glad you liked it.and thanx 4 clearing that up.i thought it was the upland church as well.but then i saw the other and thought i was wrong
Confused

United States

#4 Nov 29, 2009
So is this the Elk Knob Church or the Upland Church. I attend the Elk Knob Church and would also love to see other photos of it if anyone had any that they would love to share.
Logical

Beckley, WV

#5 Nov 29, 2009
Confused wrote:
So is this the Elk Knob Church or the Upland Church. I attend the Elk Knob Church and would also love to see other photos of it if anyone had any that they would love to share.
This photo is of the Upland Baptist Church . There is one on topix photos of Elk Knob Church also.
Logical

Beckley, WV

#6 Nov 29, 2009
UPLAND Log Church wrote:
Hello...
Where did you find this photo of UPLAND COMMUNITY LOG CHURCH?
Thanks.
<quoted text>
I got mine through my family . It is a 8X10 exactly like the one posted .
UPLAND BAPTIST Church

Mount Hope, WV

#7 Nov 29, 2009
Note to "country hillbilly"

How about a photo edit of title to read

UPLAND COMMUNITY BAPTIST CHURCH?

Not to be confused with Elk Knob Church...
country hillbilly wrote:
i'm glad you liked it.and thanx 4 clearing that up.i thought it was the upland church as well.but then i saw the other and thought i was wrong
BEAUTIFUL CHURCH

Oak Hill, WV

#8 Nov 30, 2009
ELK KNOB CHURCH IS BEAUTIFUL.

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

nimitz,wva

#9 Dec 21, 2009
UPLAND Log Church wrote:
Hello...
Where did you find this photo of UPLAND COMMUNITY LOG CHURCH?
Thanks.
<quoted text>
from old family photos

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

nimitz,wva

#10 Dec 21, 2009
UPLAND BAPTIST Church wrote:
Note to "country hillbilly"
How about a photo edit of title to read
UPLAND COMMUNITY BAPTIST CHURCH?
Not to be confused with Elk Knob Church...
<quoted text>
is that better for ya?
Stephen McPherson

Deltona, FL

#11 Oct 22, 2011
Logical wrote:
This picture is of the old log church at Upland . Upland Baptist Church . I grew up in this church and have this picture .
Elk Knob was a bit bigger and of course it was past the Hix Crossroads . Often these churches had the same preacher . Specially for revival meetings .
I love these old pictures and a part of my heart is still there .
Hello ... Does anyone have contact information for that church today? I was by the church on vacation last week and was intrigued that it didn't list a pastor or phone number or anything ... I may be asking about the wrong church though--I am referring to the "Upland Baptist Church" on Elk Knob Road outside of Hinton. I would appreciate any information anyone would have to share. Thanks!
:) Steve McPherson ... ProfessorMcPherson@hotmail.com
Country Girl

Morgantown, WV

#12 Oct 23, 2011
Stephen McPherson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello ... Does anyone have contact information for that church today? I was by the church on vacation last week and was intrigued that it didn't list a pastor or phone number or anything ... I may be asking about the wrong church though--I am referring to the "Upland Baptist Church" on Elk Knob Road outside of Hinton. I would appreciate any information anyone would have to share. Thanks!
:) Steve McPherson ... ProfessorMcPherson@hotmail.com
Currently there is no pastor at the upland church. It used to be Cecil Cox but not long ago he left to take another church. Blaine Anderson is filling in until they find another pastor.
Willowood

Oak Hill, WV

#13 Oct 24, 2011
UPLAND BAPTIST Church wrote:
Note to "country hillbilly"
How about a photo edit of title to read
UPLAND COMMUNITY BAPTIST CHURCH?
Not to be confused with Elk Knob Church...
<quoted text>
The name of the church is simply "Upland Baptist Church" The log church sat nearer the road than the present church building does .I was a real small child when the new church was built. We had Christmas plays , Sunday School picnics , a Baptist Youth Fellowship Group , singing school with Mr. Epperly as teacher .We had our homecomings there .All day singin' and dinner on the ground , I attended that church until I married and left the area . My dad was Sunday School superintendant and adult Bible teacher (SS)My mom also taught Sunday School there . She had a wonderful class of little ones , beginners . I have pictures of that group somewhere . Maybe I can find them and get them on
Missionary

Fresno, CA

#14 Oct 14, 2012
My Great Grandfather, William J. Grimmett pastored Upland Baptist Church in 1905, and was the founder, I believe. He also pastored at Fairview Baptist Church, and Elk Knob Baptist Church.

My Grandmother was Edna Grimmett who married Wilbur Clayton Rice or *Bud Rice*. She told me stories of how her father was a circuit riding preacher, and she grew up on Elk Knob in Summers County. I went with her to see the cabin she lived in, the old church, and Elk Knob cemetery.

Does anyone out there know any Grimmett's, Rice's, or Buckland's and Boone's???

“One day at a time”

Level 6

Since: Oct 12

----<>-----<>----<>-----<>---

#15 Oct 15, 2012
Great history lesson..thanks!

:-)
2 posts removed
Stephen McPherson

Deltona, FL

#18 Oct 17, 2012
Hi there!
I visited the Upland Baptist Church on Elk Knob two days ago and have really had a heart for the church, the people and the community for several years now. I can't explain it, but I feel deeply drawn to that area. I spoke to a gracious lady waiting on a school bus who told me that the church is currently being led by Mr. Adkins, a former school bus driver. I tried to find his house and left my church card on the screen door on his mobile home after not being able to get anyone to come to the door. I'm back in Florida now, but would love to get in touch with someone who is in charge. If you have contact information ... a phone number or mailing address, please e-mail it to me at smcpherson@flvs.net
Thanks a million!
:) "Steve"
Crystal Goodwin

Aiken, SC

#19 Jan 29, 2013
Missionary wrote:
My Great Grandfather, William J. Grimmett pastored Upland Baptist Church in 1905, and was the founder, I believe. He also pastored at Fairview Baptist Church, and Elk Knob Baptist Church.
My Grandmother was Edna Grimmett who married Wilbur Clayton Rice or *Bud Rice*. She told me stories of how her father was a circuit riding preacher, and she grew up on Elk Knob in Summers County. I went with her to see the cabin she lived in, the old church, and Elk Knob cemetery.
Does anyone out there know any Grimmett's, Rice's, or Buckland's and Boone's???
Hello, I'm actually "kin" to the Grimmett's and the Boone's. My great grandmother was Winnie Reece Grimmett that died in 1938, and on the other side of the family- I'm a great grandaughter of William "Billy" Thomas Boone and "Maggie" Margaret E. Bragg. please leave an email or some kind of contact. Thanks
Maggie

Portland, OR

#20 Apr 25, 2013
Missionary wrote:
My Great Grandfather, William J. Grimmett pastored Upland Baptist Church in 1905, and was the founder, I believe. He also pastored at Fairview Baptist Church, and Elk Knob Baptist Church.
My Grandmother was Edna Grimmett who married Wilbur Clayton Rice or *Bud Rice*. She told me stories of how her father was a circuit riding preacher, and she grew up on Elk Knob in Summers County. I went with her to see the cabin she lived in, the old church, and Elk Knob cemetery.
Does anyone out there know any Grimmett's, Rice's, or Buckland's and Boone's???
Hello Cousin! William Joseph Grimmett was my greatgrandfather too, via his son Joseph Lee. I knew about Elk Knob, but not the other churches, or the circuit riding, so am glad to have that info. Do not have your Gr-gr grandmothers name, but do have an Emma G. listed --- maybe my information is wrong? Do you know anything about Mary Jane Buckland, WJ's mother-in-law, that references a husband? I cannot find him anywhere. And, was our William perhaps called "Preacher Bill"? Another name that leads to a dead end. Hope to hear from you -----
J Estep

Glade Spring, VA

#21 Aug 11, 2013
Hello, my great-grandfather was Lewis Austin Burdette. His daughter was Josephine (Josie) Burdette Grimmett. She was married to Russell Grimmett. She died in 1925 and is buried at Elk Knob Cemetery. I've been looking for the date of my gg grandfather's death and where he is buried. In the 1920 census he was living with Josephine and her husband, and I think he died soon after that. Is there any way to check church records or cemetery records to see if he is also buried at Elk Knob where she is buried? Thanks so much.
Maggie

Beaverton, OR

#22 Aug 11, 2013
Missionary wrote:
My Great Grandfather, William J. Grimmett pastored Upland Baptist Church in 1905, and was the founder, I believe. He also pastored at Fairview Baptist Church, and Elk Knob Baptist Church.
My Grandmother was Edna Grimmett who married Wilbur Clayton Rice or *Bud Rice*. She told me stories of how her father was a circuit riding preacher, and she grew up on Elk Knob in Summers County. I went with her to see the cabin she lived in, the old church, and Elk Knob cemetery.
Does anyone out there know any Grimmett's, Rice's, or Buckland's and Boone's???


Hello, Cousin! William J. Grimmett was my great-grandfather too ---- his son Joseph Lee was my grandfather. JL died long before I was born, my dad never talked much about the family history, and I know very little more than names and dates about these folks. How lucky that you have seen the old church and the family home-places ---- I got to Hinton occasionally as a child, Grandma Sarah Fox Grimmett was still there ---- but no field trips. Now, of course, I would love the opportunity to visit, but as I'm in Oregon, it's not exactly a day-trip. Nice to connect ---- take care ---- Maggie Grimmett Thaxton

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Overdose in Hinton 58 min Family 3
shane brinegar 4 hr urmama 9
true/false game (Mar '12) 4 hr mr goodwrench 1,505
Kat Mullins 5 hr mind your business 3
Change one letter.... (Oct '08) 9 hr SWAMP WITCH 1,995
Change A Word Game (Jul '11) 9 hr SWAMP WITCH 2,545
last letter first (Sep '13) 9 hr SWAMP WITCH 745
More from around the web

Hinton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]