“I am Random... That is all.”

Level 1

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#1 Jan 21, 2014
Does anyone have any really good and easy apple pie recipes?
faster

Saint Albans, WV

#2 Jan 22, 2014
It was already taken wrote:
Does anyone have any really good and easy apple pie recipes?
Easy apple pie

4 med. apples peeled and cored and sliced
1 c. sugar
1/4 teap. nutmeg
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into bits
2 store bought pie crusts
Place bottom crust in pan, add apples, sprinkle with sugar and nutmeg
Top with butter bits
Place top crust over and vent with a few holes poked in top of pastry
Bake 375 1 hr.

This was given to me by an elderly lady a long time ago
ohh ouch

Madison, WV

#3 Jan 22, 2014
more apples
less sugar
less butter
make the crust

Newer recipes are way healthier.
Plus, apple pies don't really need recipes because apples differ, pie pans differ spices may not be fresh, you get it.
So, one of the best tricks to start with is to mix the apple varieties. That right there will give play and interest to the filling.
Decide to peel your apples or not. The vitamins are just under the skin, so use organic apples if you want to keep the skin on. Apples that are sprayed accumulate the stuff right around the stem at the top where it naturally puddles up, so avoid at least that part if you don't use organic.
I prep the apples by quartering, coring each quarter, then slicing it. Slice thin if you are serving the pie to company so the apple pieces give way better with the pie server.
Cut as many apples as over-fill your pie pan into a large mixing bowl. You need that many (likely 6-8) because they cook down.(Four apples makes a tart with no top crust.)
As you cut the apples, if they squirt out juice, it means you should cook them down a little bit after you season them to reduce the moisture, just cool them completely before you put them in a crust.. Or you can use a liberal dusting of cornstarch in your seasoning mixture as a thickener.
To the cut apples in the bowl you add sweetener depending on the sweetness of your apples to start with. I use a mix of white and dark brown sugar, a few large pinches of each, mixed in, and then you smell the mixture. If it smells too tart, add a little more sugar. It should smell mostly like apples, and hardly like sugar.
Then shake up and smell your spices. After a year most ground baking spice will have lost its essential oils, and so if it smells like dust, it is dust, when it comes to ground spices.
I prefer whole nutmeg, and they last, so over the apples and sugar mixture I grate nutmeg. I put a liberal dusting, mix it in and smell it. I almost always have to add more, until it smells aromatic all in combination.
Then, I add a slight dusting of pre-ground cinnamon. just barely enough to smell, and I mix that in.
About now the filling is about done, with a few notes.
Dry apples need butter, juicy ones don't.
Out-of season apples, or bland ones benefit from a drizzle of lemon or lime in the mixture.
Using cornstarch is how they make the jelly-like portion of canned pie-fillings, so if your apples are that juicy make applesauce instead. After all, the unhealthiest part of pie is crust!
Raisins absorb moisture, so if you like cooked raisins add just a few.
Using just one variety of tart apples will call for more seasoning.
Have fun. Master the filling, then master the crust.

Level 1

Location hidden

#4 Jan 22, 2014
ohh ouch wrote:
more apples
less sugar
less butter
make the crust

Newer recipes are way healthier.
Plus, apple pies don't really need recipes because apples differ, pie pans differ spices may not be fresh, you get it.
So, one of the best tricks to start with is to mix the apple varieties. That right there will give play and interest to the filling.
Decide to peel your apples or not. The vitamins are just under the skin, so use organic apples if you want to keep the skin on. Apples that are sprayed accumulate the stuff right around the stem at the top where it naturally puddles up, so avoid at least that part if you don't use organic.
I prep the apples by quartering, coring each quarter, then slicing it. Slice thin if you are serving the pie to company so the apple pieces give way better with the pie server.
Cut as many apples as over-fill your pie pan into a large mixing bowl. You need that many (likely 6-8) because they cook down.(Four apples makes a tart with no top crust.)
As you cut the apples, if they squirt out juice, it means you should cook them down a little bit after you season them to reduce the moisture, just cool them completely before you put them in a crust.. Or you can use a liberal dusting of cornstarch in your seasoning mixture as a thickener.
To the cut apples in the bowl you add sweetener depending on the sweetness of your apples to start with. I use a mix of white and dark brown sugar, a few large pinches of each, mixed in, and then you smell the mixture. If it smells too tart, add a little more sugar. It should smell mostly like apples, and hardly like sugar.
Then shake up and smell your spices. After a year most ground baking spice will have lost its essential oils, and so if it smells like dust, it is dust, when it comes to ground spices.
I prefer whole nutmeg, and they last, so over the apples and sugar mixture I grate nutmeg. I put a liberal dusting, mix it in and smell it. I almost always have to add more, until it smells aromatic all in combination.
Then, I add a slight dusting of pre-ground cinnamon. just barely enough to smell, and I mix that in.
About now the filling is about done, with a few notes.
Dry apples need butter, juicy ones don't.
Out-of season apples, or bland ones benefit from a drizzle of lemon or lime in the mixture.
Using cornstarch is how they make the jelly-like portion of canned pie-fillings, so if your apples are that juicy make applesauce instead. After all, the unhealthiest part of pie is crust!
Raisins absorb moisture, so if you like cooked raisins add just a few.
Using just one variety of tart apples will call for more seasoning.
Have fun. Master the filling, then master the crust.
Wow! This was so thorough! Thanks!

Level 1

Location hidden

#5 Jan 22, 2014
faster wrote:
<quoted text>Easy apple pie

4 med. apples peeled and cored and sliced
1 c. sugar
1/4 teap. nutmeg
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into bits
2 store bought pie crusts
Place bottom crust in pan, add apples, sprinkle with sugar and nutmeg
Top with butter bits
Place top crust over and vent with a few holes poked in top of pastry
Bake 375 1 hr.

This was given to me by an elderly lady a long time ago
This one does sound really easy, thanks so much! Old recipes are always fattening but delicious! I'm sure it will remind me of my own mothers recipe :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Little Free Library in Avis 7 hr Jace 1
House Fire 13 hr in heat again 5
Kendra Wheeler (Apr '08) 23 hr faith 104
Taco station on bypass Hinton. Sun Freddy 20
Change one letter.... (Oct '08) Sun _Zoey_ 2,864
Bliss Sun pootie 9
Let's play follow the word (Oct '08) Sun We Are Almost There 3,084

Hinton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance