First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jed

Peterstown, WV

#1 Feb 26, 2013
I just want to say what I want to say, and I don't need anyone picking it apart because their thoughts are different...IT IS WHAT IT IS, and what it is people--this town has EVIDENTLY not had effective law enforcement for years, and probably never will! Argue all you want, but wait till it affects your life directly! Let's give this "firebug" kid a year or two in jail, then let him out so that others who have an urge to commit a crime can get the message that they can do what they want or hurt who they want, and decent people's taxes will shelter them for a while. Maybe he's a friend or family of the local "powers that be", which is often the case, and he won't even have to answer for what he's done. Has there been ONE person in town holding an office who's is qualified or deserves to have that position...I only know of one, but that didn't last long. For YEARS, this town has continued to die, has increased in it's miseries, has had no one in charge who cares about anything or anyone other than themselves, their wonderful (what they think is royal) titles, and their pocketbooks. They don't even care about their own reputations, because most of them have pretty questionable ones. There are decent people in this town who deserve better..yes, there's drugs everywhere, poverty, and many other negative factors to affect a town today, not to mention corrupt local government, but usually there's some saving grace to keep a town's head above water. Instead of ranting all day, I'll just say if you can't find good leadership in Hinton, you either bring it in from outside (although who's going to come to a burnt out town), or just move away. This glorious town never deserved this, and I'm MAD...you poor "wannabes" thought that closing two business on third just to get at someone would take the attention away from all the local leadership INADEQUACIES, but it didn't fool everyone. Keep up your """GOOD" "" work, then soon you'll empty the town of all decent people, and all of you with lower standards can fester together.
so sad

Mount Hope, WV

#2 Feb 26, 2013
We cant sit at home, do nothing and blame the police and elected officials! The police cant be everywhere all of the time. People have to work with local officials to make a town run smoothly. The problem is these young people who have no respect for our town and don't care about their actions because they think nothing will happen to them. a lot of these young people grew up with parents who didnt care what they did or how they acted and sure as hell never disiplined them. This boy needs to be punished to the fullest, spend a long time behind bars and maybe it will show the others they cant get by with anything they do. People need to start reporting anything they see and even form a neighborhood watch. Take back the town instead of sitting on your rears waiting for the authorities to do it for you.
Jed

Peterstown, WV

#3 Feb 26, 2013
I think I meant to be saying that, and although we can't fix all the disfuntional family situations, the perpetrators have to answer for their crimes...the authorities have that responsibility, and I'm just saying that if they are disfuntional also, well, it's a losing battle. This wicked deed is horrific and people could have died...I hope it's treated seriously. It's hard to take back the town when you don't have the power or jurisdiction to make decisions, and the ones that do have, are a brick wall many times. Form committees that can stand up to politicians losing their tempers and threatening any opposers.
New

United States

#4 Feb 26, 2013
Well said Jed! It is way past time for the people to take back that town! My heart breaks every time I go back for a visit!

“as you would have others...”

Level 1

Since: Mar 09

United States

#5 Feb 26, 2013
One of the things we need in Hinton is a mentoring program/facility.
Back in the '90's we had the boys and girls club. And we need more than just the 'snobby rich'(as the kids might see them) people mentoring these teens/kids. We need people that these guys and girls have known growing up and respect.
When kids don't have someone to set good examples while growing, they'll look to anybody as an example, and this town has plenty of adults that just don't care--about themselves, their kids, their town, or their neighbors. Misery loves company.
police

Beckley, WV

#6 Feb 27, 2013
Not my fault some idiot wants to burn stuff or give his/her life to drug addiction. There have been many qualified officers come and go over the years. The problem in Hinton is the economy. These people have nothing to lose and nothing to live for.
uhh

Marlinton, WV

#7 Feb 27, 2013
what galls me are all the people who sit stupified who LEFT the area and then say, what happened to MY town. guess what? it isn't your town. you refused to stay.
"police" is right. no jobs, no money. just welfare, SSI, and social security, and a hell of a lot of pills and heroin.
NOTHING can save hinton. you can close businesses in order to clean up the streets. but when people who have money aren't willing to invest in the town, it will die.
how many of those houses for a long time were nice homes, and then suddenly the owners stop keeping them in good shape? and you wonder why the town looks like a slum?
New

United States

#8 Feb 27, 2013
Maybe people that left would come back and invest in the town IF the people of the town would do what they can to clean it up. Stop standing in the corner and go help and elderly neighbor. Invest the free time they have into picking up trash or ask the city to buy pain and restore some of the old run down homes. Attend a city council meeting Make a change. Stop saying woah is me and no jobs. Make it so that the ones that left Want to come HOME and invest. Take a fatherless child to the park do a good deed. Hinton is not done for it has potential. Good people still live there and some of them would bend over backward to see this town rise from the ashes!
Concerned

Mount Hope, WV

#9 Feb 27, 2013
do unto others wrote:
One of the things we need in Hinton is a mentoring program/facility.
Back in the '90's we had the boys and girls club. And we need more than just the 'snobby rich'(as the kids might see them) people mentoring these teens/kids. We need people that these guys and girls have known growing up and respect.
When kids don't have someone to set good examples while growing, they'll look to anybody as an example, and this town has plenty of adults that just don't care--about themselves, their kids, their town, or their neighbors. Misery loves company.
Another thing we need in Hinton are people with enough sense to recognize a potential problem and the guts to do something about it. I'm speaking specifically about kids starting to mess around with drugs. About 45 years ago my teen aged son brought home some marijuana and I found out about it. I called the police. Yep, I "ratted" on him and then took him to the police station. He is now and has always been free of any involvement in that type of activity ever since that happened. To quote Barney Fife, I "nipped it in the bud."

If some body had done the same thing for the young man that set these fires, the Brick Row would still be there, all of those residents would still have a home and his sorry ass wouldn't be in jail, I hope forever. But that brings up another issue. What will the Prosecutor do? Will this be reduced down to playing with matches and then forgotten?
agree

Welch, WV

#10 Feb 27, 2013
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Another thing we need in Hinton are people with enough sense to recognize a potential problem and the guts to do something about it. I'm speaking specifically about kids starting to mess around with drugs. About 45 years ago my teen aged son brought home some marijuana and I found out about it. I called the police. Yep, I "ratted" on him and then took him to the police station. He is now and has always been free of any involvement in that type of activity ever since that happened. To quote Barney Fife, I "nipped it in the bud."
If some body had done the same thing for the young man that set these fires, the Brick Row would still be there, all of those residents would still have a home and his sorry ass wouldn't be in jail, I hope forever. But that brings up another issue. What will the Prosecutor do? Will this be reduced down to playing with matches and then forgotten?
I agree with u 100%...but that being said, the parents do it with their children now. Hence, the reason all these towns and future generation are going into toilet.
Left Hinton and succeeded

Matthews, NC

#11 Feb 27, 2013
Sad to see yet another building in Hinton, West Virginia has burned down. The solution is quite simple, Abolish the Board of directors of Both Banks, The Rotary Club, The Ecology Club, and any other entity there that stifles progress. Then business will "want to come to Hinton" and invest in perhaps a few thousand jobs, turn the town and outlying communities around, give people some decent benefits without having to commute to Beckley, Princeton, or Charleston to have a job. The Railroad isn't the only place to work, and perhaps these companies would also be interested in helping Hinton to rebuild and be the city it once was-a thriving mountain city nestled next to a beautiful river with lots of potential and great people who are Hard Working, raising families with High Moral Standards. Folks that are running around burning the place to the ground obviously have issues and need to be dealt with severely. All of you there have the power to turn this thing around and make Hinton a good place to live again. Then maybe folks like me would want to come back and also invest in Hinton and provide jobs for you. You can Clean It Up If You Want To, and I surely hope all of you will.
Jed

Peterstown, WV

#12 Feb 27, 2013
I think you've said it very well...other towns have similar problems, apart from being burned to the ground, but many towns take PROPER action to at least minimize the local crime situation. I made a comment around noon today, but for some reason it didn't post on here...just in case it wasn't a coincidence, I'll definitely not 'allude' to specific ones having problems in their own lives that might deter them from doing the job they were elected to do. Also, I'll not suggest that if the punishment fit the crime, it may not take so long for ones to realize that it isn't worth it. I also can't suggest that anyone consider how many offenses/convictions one might have, but still stay home to mingle with all who are trying to live upright lives. All humans deserve second chances and new starts, but these may have to come from the local governing forces enforcing mandatory programs to educate addicts and the ones who enable them (which are usually family members). If it fails or is rejected, then is has to be jail, and make the length of time longer with each successive crime committed. Clean house at the top and it'll drift to the bottom...it's just a thought, but if 'ongoing' addicts have the privilege to vote, who do you think they're going to bring in office??
PP RAINWATER

Oak Hill, WV

#13 Feb 27, 2013
Its not the cops they arrest them and then the sorry court system lets them go.This boy should have to work til every bit of this is payed for.
police

Beckley, WV

#14 Feb 27, 2013
Left Hinton and succeeded wrote:
Sad to see yet another building in Hinton, West Virginia has burned down. The solution is quite simple, Abolish the Board of directors of Both Banks, The Rotary Club, The Ecology Club, and any other entity there that stifles progress. Then business will "want to come to Hinton" and invest in perhaps a few thousand jobs, turn the town and outlying communities around, give people some decent benefits without having to commute to Beckley, Princeton, or Charleston to have a job. The Railroad isn't the only place to work, and perhaps these companies would also be interested in helping Hinton to rebuild and be the city it once was-a thriving mountain city nestled next to a beautiful river with lots of potential and great people who are Hard Working, raising families with High Moral Standards. Folks that are running around burning the place to the ground obviously have issues and need to be dealt with severely. All of you there have the power to turn this thing around and make Hinton a good place to live again. Then maybe folks like me would want to come back and also invest in Hinton and provide jobs for you. You can Clean It Up If You Want To, and I surely hope all of you will.
Where else are people gonna work? No company is gonna invest in a business in an area with no economic backing or population. Even most of the railroaders have even moved out of town. I'm glad to see some interest in improving Hinton, but its a losing battle. By the way I don't think members or leaders of community organizations should get the blame. Its amazing to see what percent of Hinton's population is unemployeed. Nationaly we're under 10%. Hinton probalby 80%.And we wonder why its turning into a hell hole? Low income areas and areas that survive on government checks are always hell holes. Theres no light at the end of our tunnel. Sorry
pioneer

Oak Hill, WV

#15 Feb 27, 2013
Jed wrote:
I think you've said it very well...other towns have similar problems, apart from being burned to the ground, but many towns take PROPER action to at least minimize the local crime situation. I made a comment around noon today, but for some reason it didn't post on here...just in case it wasn't a coincidence, I'll definitely not 'allude' to specific ones having problems in their own lives that might deter them from doing the job they were elected to do. Also, I'll not suggest that if the punishment fit the crime, it may not take so long for ones to realize that it isn't worth it. I also can't suggest that anyone consider how many offenses/convictions one might have, but still stay home to mingle with all who are trying to live upright lives. All humans deserve second chances and new starts, but these may have to come from the local governing forces enforcing mandatory programs to educate addicts and the ones who enable them (which are usually family members). If it fails or is rejected, then is has to be jail, and make the length of time longer with each successive crime committed. Clean house at the top and it'll drift to the bottom...it's just a thought, but if 'ongoing' addicts have the privilege to vote, who do you think they're going to bring in office??
Your logic is flawed because very few "ongoing addicts" vote. Raleigh & Mercer Counties have more crime than Summers and they have both been in the news recently due to arson fires. The majority of poorly maintained rental property in Summers is located in Hinton. Fires, drugs, and poverty are here to stay. Eventually Hinton will be a wilderness again.
Jed

Peterstown, WV

#16 Feb 27, 2013
If they're not voting, then other voter's logic is evidently flawed to the max, and through the years, fires in Hinton and other towns is comparing apples to oranges. Nearby towns are in trouble also, as drugs are everywhere, and probably will continue to be, but again "apples and oranges", as none of them are Hinton. This is a beautiful, unique town that can never be "old Hinton" or "old times", but it deserves to be made better, and in spite of pessimistic/negative thinking, it is possible. Other towns HAVE done it, and it may not be a town full of millionaires, or ever full of super activities for the young, but it can still be a small town that's pleasant to visit/live in. No place is crime free, but at least people won't gravitate to Hinton because it tolerates crime, and people can become fearful of breaking the law. Just like individual people, a town can be known for high standards and low crime tendencies.
2 posts removed
uhh

Marlinton, WV

#19 Feb 28, 2013
let's see, in the past the economy was based on coal and timber. now, no coal, and not enough large trees to keep timber cutters busy. so, the railroad has no reason to do much there. just passing through.
no where to put any kind of manufacturing company.
too far away from an interstate. so, no possibility for growth.
so, all you have are minimum wage jobs, and seasonal park jobs.
sums it up.
Oh well

Matthews, NC

#20 Feb 28, 2013
police wrote:
<quoted text>
Where else are people gonna work? No company is gonna invest in a business in an area with no economic backing or population. Even most of the railroaders have even moved out of town. I'm glad to see some interest in improving Hinton, but its a losing battle. By the way I don't think members or leaders of community organizations should get the blame. Its amazing to see what percent of Hinton's population is unemployeed. Nationaly we're under 10%. Hinton probalby 80%.And we wonder why its turning into a hell hole? Low income areas and areas that survive on government checks are always hell holes. Theres no light at the end of our tunnel. Sorry
Members And Leaders of Community Organizations are always in a position to make a difference in a situation, especially in Hinton. There have been numerous opportunities many years before this point for changes to have been made. You may recall when the Coca Cola Company was refused the current site of Hinton High School, that was a terrible error on behalf of "Community Leaders". I believe the number of jobs there would have been close to 500. For the area 500 jobs would have made a huge difference. The original High school building could have been progressively remodeled. Keeping the kids in town would also have allowed a better standard to be maintained. Uptown businesses would most likely have not faded away, leaving a shell of what once existed. The interstate isn't that far away, and there are 3 Major approaches to Hinton. If corruption and crime have a hold on this town I'm sure Washington could cure that if there were enough people stood shoulder to shoulder on the issues. The worst thing to do at this point is to give up. If you want a better place to live, more employment opportunities, a better place for children to grow up and be good citizens you have to put everything else aside and fight the good fight. I would like nothing better than to come to Hinton and see actual change, enough to move back again. So, I see your frustration and hear you loud and clear. Make no mistake, I see it also. Good luck.
Jed

Peterstown, WV

#21 Feb 28, 2013
I guess it's still a matter of "glass half empty or half full"...I think the interstate is surprisingly near, plus if you bring in a large manufacturing plant, Hinton would become a "company" town, or even "union" town, and physically/geographically speaking, it's not equipped for that, as to location. It's not the only place that is no longer a "railroad town" (and wasn't this one of the best), and as to trees, you can't make any more room for them to grow, which is why many that operate log or dump trucks operate in other counties anyway. It'll always be seasonal jobs for certain places, such as State Parks, as we're not a warm/tropical area, and we do have a seasonal climate, such as most of the nation does. Don't forget, one of Hinton's assets is close proximity to one absolutely gorgeous State Park. Big money--probably not, but that whole concept is "relative" anyway...some think that a school teacher's salary is big, so if you need more, both will work, and possibly one or both will have to drive to a nearby town to do it, as many do now. Look around you and see, from an objective stand point, how many attributes there are to build a town on...can you believe that a huge tour bus will actually navigate that Southside one lane road so people can go see 'falls' that we grew up with? I'M not riding a bus down that road, but others want to...ever thought of arranging interesting ways for bus tours to get a meal as they come through to Pipestem? Some may think to cater picnic lunches up on the Bellepoint side of the dam...how pretty is that? FIRST, you gotta cut the crime rate back...hear that, if you love Hinton?
visitor

Wayne, WV

#22 Feb 28, 2013
I really hate that Hinton has come to this. I have visited there several times (before the fires) & fell in love with the historic beauty, charm & river front views. Since the railroad & timber business seems to have diminished is there a possibility of bringing in revenue of a different source such as tourism? Hintin has great possibilities in my opinion. My first visit there left me day dreaming of it's long since past railroad days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bobbie Jean cole 5 hr Oh my 1
Change A Word Game (Jul '11) 7 hr Janitor Of The LORD 3,327
Change one letter.... (Oct '08) 7 hr Janitor Of The LORD 2,831
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 8 hr YIM 1,291
Question Regarding City Hall 9 hr Saw something 2
free kittens to good home 10 hr Duh 2
Pay poor people $1,000 a month? 10 hr Just Sayin 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hinton Mortgages