disgusted

Fayetteville, WV

#1 Jun 5, 2014
All right, I am taking this issue here,because I have received no results by talking with the Summers County Sanitary board. The issue.......RAW SEWAGE.
I have been smelling raw sewage now for several weeks. Knowing that this town has an issue with the sewage on Summers st, I decided to start asking questions. I asked how come I am smelling the sewage, and I asked why is it poring out of the manhole and draining into the storm drain? The answer I got was ," I know we have a problem, but we aren't aloud to close the street and make repairs to the sewage system, unless we get permission from the state. And we do not have the available equipment to make such repairs on a collapsed sewage line."
I am calling this a bunch of crap.
First off.....Sewage is a public health hazard. Raw sewage is pumping I to the house next door time. Then being pumped out by the sump pump into the storm drain. Thus allowing gasses to be forced into my home because of the way they the city made repairs that they did not complete.
The health effects of such sewage is deadly! Can send many people to the hospital. You can even get the HPV virus (usually a sexually transmitted disease) because of airborne pathogens created by the raw swage.
It gets worse....diseases such as Guardia. Exposure to raw sewage poses several health threats. People who come into contact with raw sewage need to get tetanus boosters as needed, usually once every 10 years. Parasitic worms frequently present in sewage cause leptospirosis, which is transmitted chiefly by rats. Hepatitis A results from ingesting water or food prepared with water contaminated with raw sewage.
I will take this further. I will be contact ting the state sanitary board about this,and I will be contacting the local news stations for a public interest story on public health.
After that, I will be calling a lawyer to discuss legal ramifications to the city and countyfor knowingly ignoring this matter.
I wonder

Fayetteville, WV

#2 Jun 5, 2014
§16-13-3. Powers of sanitary board; contracts; employees; compensation thereof; extensions and improvements; replacement of damaged public works.
The board shall have power to take all steps and proceedings and to make and enter into all contracts or agreements necessary or incidental to the performance of its duties and the execution of its powers under this article: Provided, That any contract relating to the financing of the acquisition or construction of any works, or any trust indenture as provided for, shall be approved by the governing body of the municipality before the same shall be effective.

The board may employ engineers, architects, inspectors, superintendents, managers, collectors, attorneys, and other employees as in its judgment may be necessary in the execution of its powers and duties, and may fix their compensation, all of whom shall do the work as the board shall direct. All compensation and all expenses incurred in carrying out the provisions of this article shall be paid solely from funds provided under the authority of this article, and the board shall not exercise or carry out any authority or power herein given it so as to bind said board of said municipality beyond the extent to which money shall have been or may be provided under the authority of this article.

No contract or agreement with any contractor or contractors for labor and/or material, exceeding in amount the sum of ten thousand dollars, shall be made without advertising for bids, which bids shall be publicly opened and award made to the best bidder, with power in the board to reject any or all bids.

After the construction, installation, and completion of the works, or the acquisition thereof, the board shall operate, manage and control the same and may order and complete any extensions, betterments and improvements of and to the works that the board may consider expedient, if funds therefor be available or are made available as provided in this article, and shall establish rules and regulations for the use and operation of the works, and of other sewers, stormwater conduits, and drains connected therewith so far as they may affect the operation of such works, and do all things necessary or expedient for the successful operation thereof, including, but not limited to, those activities necessary to comply with all federal and state requirements, including stormwater and surface runoff water quality improvement activities.

The sanitary board may declare an emergency situation in the event of collector line breaks or vital treatment plant equipment failure and shall be exempted from competitive bidding requirements and enter into direct purchase agreements or contracts for the expenses. All public ways or public works damaged or destroyed by the board in carrying out its authority under this article shall be restored or repaired by the board and placed in their original condition, as nearly as practicable, if requested so to do by proper authority, out of the funds provided by this article.
I wonder

Fayetteville, WV

#3 Jun 5, 2014
§16-13-4. Payment of preliminary expenses of surveys, etc.
All necessary preliminary expenses actually incurred by the board of any municipality in the making of surveys, estimates of costs and of revenue, employment of engineers or other employees, the giving of notices, taking of options and all other expenses of whatsoever nature, necessary to be paid prior to the issue and delivery of the revenue bonds pursuant to the provisions of this article, may be met and paid in the following manner. Said board may from time to time certify such items of expense to the clerk or recorder of said municipality, directing him to pay the several amounts thereof, and thereupon said clerk or recorder shall at once draw a warrant or warrants upon the treasurer of said municipality, which warrant or warrants shall be paid out of the general funds of said municipality not otherwise appropriated, without a special appropriation being made therefor by the governing body; or, in case there are no general funds of such municipality not otherwise appropriated, the clerk or recorder shall recommend to the governing body the temporary transfer from other funds of such municipality of a sufficient amount to meet such items of expense, or the making of a temporary loan for such purpose, and such governing body shall thereupon at once make such transfer of funds, or authorize such temporary loan in the same manner that other temporary loans are made by such municipality: Provided, however, That the fund or funds of such municipality from which such payments are made shall be fully reimbursed and repaid by said board out of the first proceeds of the sale of revenue bonds hereinafter provided for, and before any other disbursements are made therefrom, and the amount so advanced to pay such preliminary expenses, shall be a first charge against the proceeds resulting from the sale of such revenue bonds until the same has been repaid as herein provided.
I wonder

Fayetteville, WV

#4 Jun 5, 2014
I was told that Summers County did not haver the money to make such said repairs to sewage system.......HMMMMMMM........
Then explain why the county has not moved such funds around?
Knowing that code says this........Said board may from time to time certify such items of expense to the clerk or recorder of said municipality, directing him to pay the several amounts thereof, and thereupon said clerk or recorder shall at once draw a warrant or warrants upon the treasurer of said municipality, which warrant or warrants shall be paid out of the general funds of said municipality not otherwise appropriated, without a special appropriation being made therefor by the governing body; or, in case there are no general funds of such municipality not otherwise appropriated, the clerk or recorder shall recommend to the governing body the temporary transfer from other funds of such municipality of a sufficient amount to meet such items of expense, or the making of a temporary loan for such purpose, and such governing body shall thereupon at once make such transfer of funds, or authorize such temporary loan in the same manner that other temporary loans are made by such municipality: Provided, however, That the fund or funds of such municipality from which such payments are made shall be fully reimbursed and repaid by said board out of the first proceeds of the sale of revenue bonds hereinafter provided for, and before any other disbursements are made therefrom, and the amount so advanced to pay such preliminary expenses, shall be a first charge against the proceeds resulting from the sale of such revenue bonds until the same has been repaid as herein provided.
I wonder

Fayetteville, WV

#5 Jun 5, 2014
Violations of Summers County 2011 concerning Sewage!

READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dep.wv.gov/pio/Documents/Summers%2...
kilroy

Delaware, OH

#6 Jun 5, 2014
The raw sewerage situation has been in Hinton since at least the late 1970s and possibly earlier. I have heard tales from my friends of their having dodged "sewer trout" in the river just above Brooks.
I do remember the so-called waste water treatment plant in the west end being as dry as a bone for months on end. FYI, waste water treatment plants, even simple sand filters such as that one is(or was) are not _dry_.
it would seem that the plant was not working then. I haven't been there in many years so I don't know if that facility even still exists but if it does, I'll bet that it is not in operation.
cleveland

Charleston, WV

#7 Jun 5, 2014
Gotta remember who the city foreman is. Shit happens when you hire only hire family.
Concerned Outsider

Salem, MA

#8 Jul 6, 2014
Has anyone considered taking this to the Environmental Protection Agency, the local Board of Health, or skipping all of that and going straight to FEMA and/or your local politician or even the President of the US? I promise you, if you bring it to the attention of the right people in the right place, things will start to happen. Another possibility...take it to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the national public health institute of the United States. The CDC is a federal agency under the Department of Health and Human Services and is headquartered in unincorporated DeKalb County, Georgia, a few miles northeast of the Atlanta city limits.[1][2][3] Its main goal is to protect public health and safety through the control and prevention of disease, injury, and disability. The CDC focuses national attention on developing and applying disease control and prevention. It especially focuses its attention on infectious disease, food borne pathogens, environmental health, occupational safety and health, health promotion, injury prevention and educational activities designed to improve the health of United States citizens. In addition, the CDC researches and provides information on non-infectious diseases such as obesity and diabetes and is a founding member of the International Association of National Public Health Institutes." Wishing you immediate action and success!
cleveland

Millwood, WV

#9 Jul 6, 2014
Somebody should look in the fact most of the employees are related to the city foreman. How should a loser has so much influence is beyond my comprehension.
I wonder

Fayetteville, WV

#10 Jul 8, 2014
Well, I have talked with EPA and CDC in Charleston and Beckley. Both called me back. Beckley was referred to call me back and handle the situation. I told her what took place at Town Hall when I spoke with the Sanitary board for Summers County. Told them all that my neighbors home is flooded with raw sewage every time it rains, and that our house gets all the gasses.
It seems that something is taking place....They are supposed to be coming out to make inspections to the sewage line...According to the EPA!
I need to gather more information then I am taking all that to the news station....NBC or one of them.....I am making a video to present to Town hall, showing the waste water and other problems with the sewage line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change one letter.... (Oct '08) 6 hr Judgment Day Watc... 2,854
Change A Word Game (Jul '11) 6 hr Judgment Day Watc... 3,360
Let's play follow the word (Oct '08) 7 hr Judgment Day Watc... 3,075
Angie Beaver 8 hr SpongeBob 5
Wilma Rhodes from hair by Michael on 3rd 12 hr You know who 14
darren dj forren (Feb '15) 14 hr Trybeinguseful 50
Need someone who can carve wood Wed MindMap 9

Hinton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance