Hinton of the 1950"s
Art

Middlebury, IN

#1733 Feb 23, 2011
Lea wrote:
<quoted text>Was it Crocketts?
If he was around Pipestem at the time it well could have been(G) As I recall he is around Union someplace. Be a big jump from there to Pipestem.
Crockett

Catawba, VA

#1734 Feb 23, 2011
Not guilty this time!!!!! Really never was guilty at least not proven so. Sure would like to know what you all are talking about?
punkie

Bluefield, WV

#1735 Feb 23, 2011
Crockett wrote:
Yes that is the same Cotton Edwards he had a older brother named Mustard. Because of the color of his hair. And Cotton because it was blond.
Patty Farley is that Donald Farley's daughter?
No snow here but it did turn colder with some rain.
Lea I don't know any thing about that copper cooking process.
Art I don't make home brew anymore can't find the malt.Sure sounds good tho. As for stump water haven't seen that in a good while. Might find some up Pipestem where the Keatons used to live on River Ridge. LOL
Cotton's brother was called Buster.(Real name Ethan Paul). He married Orpha Wills. Patty Farley's dad was Billy Farley who married Faye Lowe. Patty' sister's were Glenna and Nita.
punkie

Bluefield, WV

#1736 Feb 23, 2011
boyfrom buck wrote:
The young person who drown at
Sun Valley Lake was Carl Dempsey Young. This happened in July 55. He was a member o HHS class 1957' We also had a Leonard Nichols who was fatally injured in an auto accident on the west side of Hinton. I think Clancey Goff was also in that accident.
Yes, the Nichols boy died in the auto wreck ( I really don't call it an accident). The other two in the wreck was Clacy Goff and Jackie Paul Goff. Thanks, for the info on the Young boy.
punkie

Bluefield, WV

#1737 Feb 23, 2011
PIPESTEM BOY 1942 wrote:
Punkie my mind is brain dead LOL I cannot remember who you are but I am sure when you reveal your name I will remember you well. So you were related to Ed St Clair and Curtis and Billy Law.What was Hattie's maiden name? Was she Ed's sister? Also the other day I remembered a funeral I went to at Jordan's Chapel on True Road sometime in the fifties it would have been.The young boy had drowned in a lake somewhere up near Indian Ridge as I recall.Do you know who that would have been?Seems as though it might have been one of Lois Young's brothers. Crockett probably remembers this too.
The reason I am not letting you know who I am, as I remember you could never stand for someone to have a secret from you. I will let you know, I was never your girlfriend, I just thought of you as a great friend. We never dated, never even thought of such a thing. We both had a life time ahead of us. Sorry we lost touch for so many years.
Crockett

Catawba, VA

#1738 Feb 23, 2011
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning all-had to catch up--LOL-been taking advantage of this nice weather--outside work--Oh Crockett -your post about copper made me smile--I know where a huge copper kettle is hidden and other things!!Not been used for years and years--seems so fitting that my Dad and Senate are buried so close together (G)I have a feeling you will probably understand this post!!
It's a shame to let all that copper go to waste. For want of an owner. Yes I catch your drift I know what you mean.
I never met your dad but I knew Senate. I have met your mother and couple of your brothers. Is anyone living in your mother's house now. My grandfather used to own all that property on both sides of the road. Mountain top to mountain top.
Crockett

Catawba, VA

#1739 Feb 23, 2011
punkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the Nichols boy died in the auto wreck ( I really don't call it an accident). The other two in the wreck was Clacy Goff and Jackie Paul Goff. Thanks, for the info on the Young boy.
I knew Jackie Goff and Clacy. When the Nichols boy was killed it happened in 1959. They ran off the road and landed on the railroad tracks. I understand they were going at a high rate of speed. He died toooo young as did a lot of young people from speeding. I guess I was lucky because I did my share too.
Paul

Chesapeake, VA

#1740 Feb 23, 2011
I have fond memories of Hinton. I went to Sandstone Elementary for a while. Sure ate a lot of Ice cream at the drug store near the Hospital in Hinton. I still have "kin folk" in Hinton..Williams and Brinagers. We get back that way now and then.
Lea

Princeton, WV

#1741 Feb 23, 2011
Crockett wrote:
Not guilty this time!!!!! Really never was guilty at least not proven so. Sure would like to know what you all are talking about?
You know, Crockett, I'm not even sure myself...it went from heavy equipment to jars of 'stuff' to copper to flammable liquid to 'revenuers' to Ms. Crocketts house to you sleeping in the woods with no Bobcat to come home to, and then prohibition set in where you live, so I think we'd better cut this YARN short before you forget whether you're coming or going. Thanks for letting us 'play' with your life a little...maybe it would have been a 'best seller' or won the Academy Award, but then who would you have picked to play you?
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

AOL

#1742 Feb 24, 2011
Perhaps Billy Bob Thornton? LOL LOL Just funnin' you Crockett.Hello to all of you down there this mornin'.Punkie thanks for your most recent comments.I have inquired of my sister in Coal City and my brother in Sandstone and they too are stumped as to who you are LOL

Since: Dec 10

Bristol, VA

#1743 Feb 24, 2011
Do any of you Pipestem folks remember a Wilbur Phillips or Manuel Begal?
Art

Middlebury, IN

#1744 Feb 24, 2011
Topics do jump around dont they(G) I'm with Lea, not all that sure where we are at(G) Lea had asked if the still at Pipestem was Crocketts. My reply was along the line that since he is down around Union it would be a big jump. Just how he got out sleeping in the woods with out his bobcat I missed that(G)

We're coverin' everything from dogs to a young Mel's love life or lack thereof(G)

Things iced up over night and more to come this evening. Must admit Lea's snow is lookin' better and better. At least one can walk on that.
Lea

Princeton, WV

#1745 Feb 24, 2011
Well Art, I told Crockett, we'd let it drop, so one last mention of that 'saga' is that Crockett would be on the Bobcat (being a little 'snockered'), mow done the Missus' new little house, then have to sleep in the woods. Don't know where else that would have gone to if I hadn't reigned myself in, but, you know, Crocketts, when I read back over it, things were starting to get a bit 'juicy'. We'll just have to pick someone not so nice when we go on a 'rampage' of making up these "hillbilly" yarns...Ms Crockett, hope you don't have to seek therapy to deal with the "fictional farce" created...just call ME..I don't charge...oops, that would be a paradox, wouldn't it.
Lea

Princeton, WV

#1746 Feb 24, 2011
I remember Wilbur Phillips (around class of 58' maybe), but never heard of the other guy.
Linda

Saint Albans, WV

#1747 Feb 24, 2011
boyfrombuck wrote:
Do any of you Pipestem folks remember a Wilbur Phillips or Manuel Begal?
There was a Begal(I think )that married a second cousin of mine from Pipestem--Her name was Barbara Meador--her family was Frances and Alan Meador from River Ridge.
Linda

Saint Albans, WV

#1748 Feb 24, 2011
Crockett wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a shame to let all that copper go to waste. For want of an owner. Yes I catch your drift I know what you mean.
I never met your dad but I knew Senate. I have met your mother and couple of your brothers. Is anyone living in your mother's house now. My grandfather used to own all that property on both sides of the road. Mountain top to mountain top.
Sometimes I have a brother that stays on the creek-my sister and her children and families come in from VA and stay there some.Other then that it is just sitting--it is so sad--I can hardly go there knowing Mom and Dad aren't there-on holidays we get Mom from the nursing home and bring her home for the day-last time was Thanksgiving-I think she even knew she was home because that night she said she wasn't going anywhere but to bed.We always have a hard time getting her back to the nursing home.I'll never forget the day Dad bought that place-I don't know how much land he bought but I know its only on one side of the creek--my oldest brother bought more land adjoining it later.Do you remember that to get to our house when we first bought it the only way in was from a swinging bridge?It was used for several yars before my brother built a bridge across the creek.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

AOL

#1749 Feb 24, 2011
Wilbur Phillips was a senior at HHS in 1957-58 and played football.I used to know most of his family but have forgotten their names now.They lived on Indian Ridge.
Art

Middlebury, IN

#1750 Feb 24, 2011
Lea, I guess we do at times get carried away(G) Maybe some of this silliness will shake loose a real memory. If we cant have a little fun than whats the use? If Crockett plays around with a dozer I spect he is big enough to take care of himself(G)

And speaking of dozers(G) One time down on the turnpike there was somesort of construction going on. I saw dozer tracks up the side of the mountain where a goat couldnt walk! Figured out how to defy gravity I guess.

another icy morning sure glad that I dont have to get and go to work anymore. Done my share of white knuckin to work(G)
river ridge

Bridgeport, WV

#1751 Feb 25, 2011
Linda, whose place did your dad buy on big creek? when you describe the bridge it sounds like the Homer Crawford place in a way. My grandad lived on the creek during the late fifties and into the sixties. He held the crawfords, Coxes, Mansfields and many others on the creek in the highest esteem. He always would say you could find neighbors anywhere but good neighbors were found on Big Creek.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

AOL

#1752 Feb 25, 2011
Howdy y'all! Raining pretty good here just now with high winds this afternoon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 21 min mtyek 1,260
who is brittany bowels (Aug '13) 3 hr Zima Ion 4 37
rumors & gossip (Dec '07) 15 hr Crazy 24
Ghostrider mc club (Apr '09) Thu funny 303
Who's cheating at ManTech? Thu funny 3
Roanoke star light flash couple years ago Thu huh 4
Anyone know who owns the new italian restaurant... Thu huh 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hinton Mortgages