River ridge

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2014

It's funny how Hinton has morphed into what it is today. I spend time in union over in Monroe county and find that the town of union is still very much like it was in the fifties. It seems there are always people there taking care of their business or just getting a bite at one of the three restaurants there.
Pipestem Boy 1942

Severn, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

As Lea mentioned today on Memories lets endeavor to keep these two threads alive. It has been most rewarding!!!!
River ridge

Griffithsville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

I just spent the evening in Hinton at an award ceremony for ken Allman. He has been selected as wv small businessman of the year. Good choice. He has spent much money and time trying to make Hinton a better place. He currently employs over fifty people in various businesses in Hinton.
Pipestem Boy 1942

Severn, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2014

Wouldn't it be great if we had more people like this man who gives of histime and money to improve the lives of people in Hinton!
Lea

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2014

Plus, he's one nice guy...so many in town made their money off the people in Hinton, then kept it all for themselves (some took it and left), and thought they were entitled to rule over others. A respected businessman in the county always called them $5,000 millionaires, because they get so elevated and excited about their back accounts, they mistakenly consider themselves entitled royalty. I do believe that this is the number one reason that Hinton has declined so....other towns have "risen from the ashes", but it took people who cared as much or more about others than themselves. In another county a man came back home to live after becoming very financially sound, and gave 55 million to help a small town (railroad town also) come back to life. Fortunately, there's many locals who are excited and anxious to work toward that goal...they just needed the funds. Enough ranting about this...it always hits a nerve! Is time moving as fast for all of you as it seems to me? Maybe it's age, but some young ones agree, and when you're older, it's more frightening. Didn't want to create a new forum, but I know we're all so passionate about Hinton, and all some of us can do is visit as often as possible, plus shop/eat in town while we're there.
Pipestem Boy 1942

Severn, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2014

As I continue to read and hear about the horrific shootings around the country it makes me realize even more how grateful we should be that we grew up in the 1950's, Don't believe we had even thought about such madness back then. So much hate,people who have no respect and a country without any morals to speak of is destroying us!!!!!!!!!!
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Tuesday Aug 12

I don't remember that there was a diningroom/restaurant in the railway station in Hinton. Maybe because I never went down there ubtil later in my teens when I would travel back and forth between Hinton and my residence in Arlington,Va. Again as I have said so may times before so many wonderful memories of our town. You know I was just sitting here thinking if someone were to ask me what would be my favorite memory from back then I would have to say walking into that wonderful smell/aroma inside G C Murphy store on Temple Street.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Tuesday Aug 12

Was saddened to learn today of the passing of Terry Payne. I knew him,although not well,way back there when he first started at E M Meadows..He was friendly and had a great smile which helped I'm sure in the funeral business.
Lea

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Aug 13

Mel, just came on the page to check for recent activity and see your last comments...didn't know that Terry had died, and also just heard that Karen Cooper died last week...don't remember her married name. It certainly gives us all something to think about, a "wake-up call" to not waste these precious moments we are privileged to still have. I've gotten lazy about checking this site, and don't know why because I've enjoyed the interchanges since the first time I found it...maybe coming Fall and Winter will drive us to resume posting (might depend on the KIND of Winter we have). We didn't have a TRUE Summer here...don't think the temp ever hit 90', and we never had one truly hot night. I don't mind that, but I'm wondering what in the world kind of Winter we're in for..heat bills last year were crippling. We'll soon see, but I'm not as fired up on this "snow dance" business as I have previously been.
Recordslady

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Aug 14

PIPESTEM BOY 1942 wrote:
Was saddened to learn today of the passing of Terry Payne. I knew him,although not well,way back there when he first started at E M Meadows..He was friendly and had a great smile which helped I'm sure in the funeral business.
I lived right down street from the Paynes. In alley. I spent many wonderful days I and out of that house when Terry and girls were in school
World lost good guy but Heaven gained an a Angel.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Aug 14

Lea it indeed gives us a sad and sobering feeling when we hear of so many of these people who touched our lives back then. I remember Karen but never knew her personally. I drove down to New Market,Va yesterday to pick up my wife Mary who had just returned from a week long trip to Winter Haven,Fl to see her ailing brother. She went with her sister and brother in law.And all three of them have health issues so I was relieved when they safely returned. We spent last night at a nice property in New Market with a fabulous view of those beautiful mountains. Returned back up here today. So much sadness in the world today it's hard to keep a proper perspective but we must go on you know.........
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Aug 14

Wanted to say that Mary and I had dinner last night at the Southern Kitchen on route 11 in New Market. A wonderful,cozy little family run restaurant. It made me think of Judi and wonder if she still lives in the valley down that way...........
Lea

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Aug 14

Don't know her exact location, but wonder how deep the snow gets there??????
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Aug 15

She does get snow down there but they also get a lot of ice storms in the valley. Was pocking around on here and discovered the I grew up in Hinton,Wv from facebook. Fabulous group of pictures and a small one of the Avis kid,HLB. Brought back sad memories though of Kloris Ann Dressler,Bill Garten and others who have passed from life's stage........

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 124
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV How To Open A Beer With A Banana 27 min WTF 178
Politics 31 min laughing 9
Truck 53 min Right 3
Hintons Biggest Narc Informant 55 min Paige Paul mary 1
Second of four Hinton fires ruled arson (Mar '08) 57 min Phil 6
Hinton Daily News 1 hr FYI 5
Guy at garage in avis 1 hr Sassy 4

Search the Hinton Forum:
•••
•••