PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2456 Apr 13, 2014
Well with Easter coming I often think of our dear friend Lea. Memories of the old G C Murphy store ya know ha ha Can't find any sugar free Russell Stover easter egg candy this year. Found some last year at Rite Aid but none so far this year But glad I went in there because I was able to add a diecast red Mustang to my car collection. I'll keep searching for those candies though.
Lea

Princeton, WV

#2457 Apr 21, 2014
Mel, you're right about this being the time of year that Murphys comes to mind, even though we associate the store with all thoughts of Hinton. I'm not in Hinton often, but did go over the weekend, and didn't fare well, as I nearly 'drowned' in memories...it hit me hard what life was like in the 40's and 50's compared to now. I could see the innocent activities: children bicycling, rolling on the grass, the sound of old lawn mowers clacking, streets of town full of people, cars everywhere, businesses in every building, small filling stations with "pop machines", carnival/circus in town, school dances, Saturday movies, Bass Lake, family picnics, people with pride,standards and morals, happy children laughing, even though they may have had a troubled home life or suffered poverty to any degree, etc., etc.. Yeah, I'd go back, but I want to take my washer and dryer with me (at least my washer), and I'd like to be smarter about people, kinder to ones who didn't always receive good treatment, plus much more understanding of why the difference in all of us causes us to make the decisions we do. The people weren't perfect, but what a town that was to grow up in, and it's not a town to hate now...it's just suffering the same small town manifestation of the world situation that many other towns experience. It doesn't have factories, heavy commerce or the "Greenbrier Hotel" to keep it's economy 'pumped up' and running...it's a wonderful little town that's geographically placed in a beautiful setting that's suffering a sad demise, and I'm surprised that more natives don't return to, at least visit, and even share in bolstering the economy a little. Good thing I don't go more often, or the computer would run out of ink!!!
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2458 Apr 21, 2014
And Lea there were those wonderful car dealerships that added to the economy of the town and that I enjoyed visiting so much especially Garten Motors on Main Street across from my grandmothers little yellow house. And of course all the stores and eateries that I have mentioned so many,many times. Today when I think back on it I tear up Yes those 10 cent bottles of Royal Crown Cola among others. Remembering Dr Stokes,Dr McNeer, the Avis kids like Judi and Toyboy,teachers like Mrs Holroyd, Evelyn Hutchison,Varina Shuttlesworth and so many more kids like R D Williams,Barry Fitzsimmons and Carolyn Williams. Bless those great memories!!!!!!
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2459 May 11, 2014
Want to wish all the good mothers everywhere a happy Mother/s Day including our friend Lea,my sister in law there in Hinton and my sister in Coal City. My own mother has been gone since 2008 and I still miss her a lot.
kilroy

Wilmington, OH

#2460 May 25, 2014
Anyone remember driving past the "Jungle Beach" down by the far end of
Willowood Road?
kilroy

Wilmington, OH

#2461 May 26, 2014
How about Elsworth Hedrick? Don Corda? the Western Auto store on Temple St? When Dickie Lightner's place was "Maddy Brothers" and served ice cream sodas instead of beer?
PIPESTEM BOY 1942 wrote:
And Lea there were those wonderful car dealerships that added to the economy of the town and that I enjoyed visiting so much especially Garten Motors on Main Street across from my grandmothers little yellow house. And of course all the stores and eateries that I have mentioned so many,many times. Today when I think back on it I tear up Yes those 10 cent bottles of Royal Crown Cola among others. Remembering Dr Stokes,Dr McNeer, the Avis kids like Judi and Toyboy,teachers like Mrs Holroyd, Evelyn Hutchison,Varina Shuttlesworth and so many more kids like R D Williams,Barry Fitzsimmons and Carolyn Williams. Bless those great memories!!!!!!
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2462 May 26, 2014
kilroy when Norman Shanklin ran the Western Auto store I seem to recall it was on Second Ave just above TempleStreet corect?? Again let me say how much I miss old Hinton of the 1950's and early 1960's. The pies at the Kitchen on 3rd Ave,food in general at the Diner on Second Ave and great milkshakes at Bowling's Dairy Bar ? Shoes from Fort Pitt Shoes anf Martha MArtin's wonderful smile and personality at the A & P Store on Ballengee..........Bless her heart she was my neighbor on Pipestem Creek and I still talk with her on the phone to this day.
kilroy

Wilmington, OH

#2463 May 26, 2014
WA was definitely on the alley but I think that I remember it being on 3rd across from the liquor store. anyway I was remembering it after Carrington Spade bought it out and moved it to 2nd ave across from the Catholic church in what was the Firestone store. That was after Willeys Hardware burnt, I think.
It's been a long time since any of those stores were in place. Howard Creed's pharmacy was in that spot also at one time and he also was up 2nd ave in a smaller store just below one of the ladies clothing stores --Tots'n'Teens maybe
PIPESTEM BOY 1942 wrote:
kilroy when Norman Shanklin ran the Western Auto store I seem to recall it was on Second Ave just above TempleStreet corect?? Again let me say how much I miss old Hinton of the 1950's and early 1960's. The pies at the Kitchen on 3rd Ave,food in general at the Diner on Second Ave and great milkshakes at Bowling's Dairy Bar ? Shoes from Fort Pitt Shoes anf Martha MArtin's wonderful smile and personality at the A & P Store on Ballengee..........Bless her heart she was my neighbor on Pipestem Creek and I still talk with her on the phone to this day.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2464 May 27, 2014
As I recall Howard Creed's pharmacy was a Rexall Drug Store. And the little store on the corner of 2nd Ave and Ballengee was called Jack's something or other(or was it a restaurant?) My mother loved to shop at Tots n'Teens directly across the street on 2nd Ave. And remember when John Faulconer(spelling may be off)ran the Hinton Daily News? The passenger trains were rolling though and coal trains too and the local economy was goin' great. Loved it and never tire of talkin' about it especially with you wonderful people who remember it as vividy as I do..........remember when newlyweds Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds stopped at Jacks Drive In (wasn't it?) on the bypass on their way to the Greenbrier? Was the fall of 1955 as I recall..........I remember when I was in World Geography atr HHS there were 29 boys and 1 girl in that class. Teacher was coach Randy Scott.
kilroy

Wilmington, OH

#2465 May 27, 2014
Yes, Howard Creed ran a Rexall store. His first store was on 2nd next to Tots'n'Teens then after Willy's Hardware burned, he moved into the new building. Norman Shanklin's Western Auto was on the upper side of the alley on 3rd, right across from the liquor store. Jim Doyle's hardware was on the other side of the street below what became Lightner's Bar and Grill.
After Carrington Spade got into the picture, Western Auto was moved to the corner storefront directly across from the Catholic church and immediately next to the Firestone store that he later took over for a Radio Shack dealership.
My grandfather drove a Mallet steam engine on C&O passenger line until the diesels took over then he drove a diesel train on the Alleghaney Mountain run to Clifton Forge -- except for the time he took President Eisenhower home to D.C.
My dad was a conductor on the passenger runs until only the Cardinal was running, then he moved to manifest runs and sometimes the work trains that clean ballast.
John Faulkner ran the Hinton Daily News which was actually daily for many years, until the late 80s when it came under new manglement and went weakly weekly. IDK what happened to it. It may still exist or not.
We used to go to John Mazella's Shore Drive Inn for some of the best spaghetti dinners that I have ___EVER___ had. Bobby knows the recipe for that outstanding marinara sauce be he won't give it up.
o well.

Hey, I'll bet that your World Geo teacher was Nellie Cundiff.

!
PIPESTEM BOY 1942 wrote:
As I recall Howard Creed's pharmacy was a Rexall Drug Store. And the little store on the corner of 2nd Ave and Ballengee was called Jack's something or other(or was it a restaurant?) My mother loved to shop at Tots n'Teens directly across the street on 2nd Ave. And remember when John Faulconer(spelling may be off)ran the Hinton Daily News? The passenger trains were rolling though and coal trains too and the local economy was goin' great. Loved it and never tire of talkin' about it especially with you wonderful people who remember it as vividy as I do..........remember when newlyweds Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds stopped at Jacks Drive In (wasn't it?) on the bypass on their way to the Greenbrier? Was the fall of 1955 as I recall..........I remember when I was in World Geography atr HHS there were 29 boys and 1 girl in that class. Teacher was coach Randy Scott.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2466 May 27, 2014
No as I said earlier Randy Scott was the world geo teacher and Nellie Cundiff taught civics Unless i missed something along the way I don't know who you are kilroy.........
Dot Williams-Zehr

Killeen, TX

#2467 May 27, 2014
Melvin, I am so sorry I didn't get back with you before I left for West Virginia, I truly intended too. I was so busy trying to get my garden going before I left, and I just simply ran out of time. I also wanted to say thank you for the information on Jackie Paul and Norma Jean Goff-Keaton. I spent four days in Hinton visiting with my brothers, and what a joy that was to see them again. While I was there I drove up Pipestem Creek and stopped by to see Norma Jean, her health is not good, she had fallen and was in a wheel chair, but what impressed me the most was that sweet smile of hers, while her health is not good, she still continued to smile, she also told me that Jackie Paul lives in Falls Church, Virginia. Your cousin Aubrey looked very well, and in good health. Melvin, I thought of you and Lea, one day as I was driving through town, I parked my car across from the old Murphy's store, got out and walked across the street and peeped in the windows, and for just a little while I was that little red headed girl again, standing at the candy counter, buying a nickel bag of pretzels, my goodness you could get so many pretzels back then for a nickel. I was so saddened to see Hinton so run down, nothing like the railroad town I grew up in. Even the young people standing around on the corner, looked as if they were high on dope, and appeared to have no purpose in life. All in all it was a wonderful time of the year to make that journey back home again, even though it's not my home and hasn't been for a lot of years. And to Kilroy, I remember Nellie Cundiff, she was my Driver's Ed teacher, and my Dad also worked many years for Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad, he went to work at 14 years of age and worked there until he was in his mid 60's.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2468 May 28, 2014
Dot i don't get back there much now for so many reasons. But it saddens me so much to see the way it is now I would rather now at this point just stay away and rely on old memories.So glad you got to spend time with Aubrey Carl and Norma Jean.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

Severn, MD

#2469 May 29, 2014
Guess I am just old and silly but i was looking back at the beginning pages of this thread and am deeply saddened by the fact that so many of you who were regular posters back then aren't on here anymore. Suppose social media is to blame for a lot of it and this is about as social as I get. I really miss all of you and hope you can find your way back on here soon. I'll leave the porchlight on for each of you..........
River ridge

Ripley, WV

#2470 May 30, 2014
We're still here, just waiting for some tidbit to start us up again. Summer is here it seems. Grass always needs mowed it seems and all that energy used on weed eating now means I have to keep it up all summer just to keep the neighbors from finding out how lazy I am.
Dr Ed Garten

Dayton, OH

#2471 May 31, 2014
Earlier on this board, several noted Saint Elmo Conway. He took yearly photos me growing up and was wonderful. He lived with his mother across from my grandfathers Ford dealership. Any one have additional memories of Saint Elmo?
PIPESTEM BOY1942

Severn, MD

#2472 Jun 1, 2014
My grandmother Ada Garten rented the little yellow house on the alley straight across from Garten Motors from St Elmo Conway and his mother. They were execeptional people and my grandmother loved them very much.
Lea

Princeton, WV

#2473 Jun 6, 2014
Mel, I realize you don't do facebook, and can understand why many don't...I like it for keeping up with family living away. There's so many updates and pictures that I would never see otherwise; I do think of how much you would enjoy seeing the old pictures of Hinton on various sites such as "I Grew Up In Hinton", but you can always access this through one of your friends who is on facebook. Yes, we had a good running couple of years on here, and wish it would continue...several stories stand out, but I still love the "monkey conversation" we all had. I think Murphys is the most common memory most of us had, and of course the time we lived in. Remember how much Art in Indiana loved this site and contributed...nothing aged about his mind! It wouldn't hurt any of us to check in and say "Hi" once in a while, if nothing else.
JWM

Bluefield, VA

#2474 Jun 6, 2014
Hello again Mel & Lea. I too have been lax in commenting on here but have been trying to come up a new memory or event. I was thinking and remembering Murphys and all the sights and smells associated with it. Hey, do either one of you remember the name of the blind lady that sat in front of Murphys and played the accordion?
JLJ

Princeton, WV

#2475 Jun 6, 2014
I have photos of my brother and I from St. Elmo. I'd greet him, "Hey Saint!"........and he'd reply, "Heo!". I can still hear his voice..........a gentle man. His mother made the best peanut butter cookies ever, and would give them as treats at Halloween. There would be maybe 4 or 5 in a small paper bag. I was their Daily News paper boy, and Mrs. Conway would have a bag of cookies for me when I brought their paper by on Halloween. I remember well the peanut and candy counter at G.C. Murphy.........the smell of warm peanuts, those large blocks of chocolate displayed there, and the squeaking of the wood floor as I walked. As I recall, Willey's hardware was THE PLACE to buy a new baseball glove, and I was finally able to afford a pair of their "Chuck Taylors" a year or so after graduation. The bicycles in Western Auto, Western Flyers, always caught my eye..........and I'll never forget the smell there after the fire. Movies at The Ritz on Saturdays with my "best girl" are unforgettable..........and Teen Town..........and the deMolay dances at The Moose Lodge(?).......anging out in front of The Steak House on Friday and Saturday nights.........there are endless memories, and I, too, am very sad when I visit Hinton now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change one letter.... (Oct '08) 3 hr Honest Babe 1,902
last letter first (Sep '13) 3 hr Honest Babe 672
Change A Word Game (Jul '11) 3 hr Honest Babe 2,467
*Chane 1 Letter* (Nov '12) 3 hr Honest Babe 1,029
true/false game (Mar '12) 3 hr Honest Babe 1,457
Frenchbull dog Wed Dottie tobias 3
Ratliff girl Tue whoo 3
Hinton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web