Hinton of the 1950"s
First Prev
of 128
Next Last
Mel

Rockville, MD

#1 Oct 2, 2009
I grew up there and left about 48 years ago.I have wonderful,fond memories of the restaurants and car dealerships that were once an integral part of downtown Hinton and up in Avis too.I spent a many a saturday watching the men unload new Ford's and Mercury's at Garten Motors on Main Street in Avis. My grandmother rented the little yellow house where the ar lot is now on Main.I always went to O R Grimmett dealership and the others too in the fall when the new models arrived.I remember eating at The Diner on Second Avenue across from The Hinton Daily News. Oh if I could just go back for one whole day and experience it all again. Those were the days!!!!!
Mel

Rockville, MD

#2 Oct 2, 2009
How sad.....guess there is no one around Hinton now who grew up when I did,at least no one who owns a computer or knows how to use one.Anyway, I sure am enjoying this forum and look forward to at least a few comments about my discussion.
Lea

Princeton, WV

#3 Oct 2, 2009
Mel wrote:
I grew up there and left about 48 years ago.I have wonderful,fond memories of the restaurants and car dealerships that were once an integral part of downtown Hinton and up in Avis too.I spent a many a saturday watching the men unload new Ford's and Mercury's at Garten Motors on Main Street in Avis. My grandmother rented the little yellow house where the ar lot is now on Main.I always went to O R Grimmett dealership and the others too in the fall when the new models arrived.I remember eating at The Diner on Second Avenue across from The Hinton Daily News. Oh if I could just go back for one whole day and experience it all again. Those were the days!!!!!
Just wondering if you've read through the topics prior to posting this--if not, several have been started concerning this decade, but the most successful and extensive is the topic "Memories". There's quite a few of us out here who cherish our 'Hinton' small town memories and love conversing or trading memories with others. Check it out and hope to hear more from you on 'Memories' or this one--it doesn't matter which.
common sense

Port Republic, VA

#4 Oct 2, 2009
Howdy, Mel. I, too, grew up in Avis in the 50's. You didn't mention Halloran's oldsmobile on Pleasant St. Did you go to Avis school? I left Hinton in 1959, but still have family there. your grandmother must have been a neighbor of our's. Did she live next door to Saint Elmo(I can't remember the last name..this getting old and forgetful is a giant pain). Wait a minute..it was Conway, I think. Do as Lea suggested and check out "memories"; you will enjoy it.
Mel

Rockville, MD

#5 Oct 5, 2009
Good monday morning to you all!!Yes,my grandmothers landlady was Mrs Conway and her son was named Elmo I do believe/I grew up at Pipestem and would love to hear from some of you who went to school during those years!!
Mel

Rockville, MD

#6 Oct 5, 2009
And one of my fondest memories was of The Bluestone Grill on lower Pipestem Creek.I lived next door and worked there for Curtis W> Cook from 1955 and about 1961 stocking the pop coolers and pumping Esso gasoline.There was a somewhat rowdy club just up the road called Lakewood but they had a big dancefloor.
Lea

Princeton, WV

#7 Oct 5, 2009
Mel wrote:
And one of my fondest memories was of The Bluestone Grill on lower Pipestem Creek.I lived next door and worked there for Curtis W> Cook from 1955 and about 1961 stocking the pop coolers and pumping Esso gasoline.There was a somewhat rowdy club just up the road called Lakewood but they had a big dancefloor.
I suppose Pipestem Creek is the obvious one that runs from the bridge area all the way up to the back way into Pipestem (I think that's the True Road). Don't remember hearing of Bluestone Grill, but, take it easy before you call Lakewood 'rowdy', as that may cast aspersions on the character of some of us "lily-white, georgia-peach, seem-to-bes that may have stepped foot in there once in their lives (only once, I promise). J, are you there, and do you care to jump in here anywhere, as I'd appreciate a little support, if you can. Mel, it's good to have you-stay with us.
Mel

Rockville, MD

#8 Oct 5, 2009
Lea,i'd be right happy to stay awhile and visit because Hinton/Pipestem is where my heart will always be trust me!!!
JWM

Wise, VA

#9 Oct 5, 2009
Lea wrote:
<quoted text>I suppose Pipestem Creek is the obvious one that runs from the bridge area all the way up to the back way into Pipestem (I think that's the True Road). Don't remember hearing of Bluestone Grill, but, take it easy before you call Lakewood 'rowdy', as that may cast aspersions on the character of some of us "lily-white, georgia-peach, seem-to-bes that may have stepped foot in there once in their lives (only once, I promise). J, are you there, and do you care to jump in here anywhere, as I'd appreciate a little support, if you can. Mel, it's good to have you-stay with us.
Hello Lea & Mel. I did on occasion darken the door of Lakewood (wasn't quite of legal age to be there) and saw some interesting things. Do either of you remember the beer joint called "Jungle Beach" just before the Willowood bridge? I grew up in Hinton and graduated from HHS in 1961 and after graduation I went into the Air Force with my buddy Randy Martufi. Thanks for the memories.
Mel

Rockville, MD

#10 Oct 5, 2009
I do remember Jungle Beach but never did go in there.I lived a pretty sheltered life up at Pipestem and I also remember Randy Martufi and also remember his mom.I had to quit school but 1961 is the year I would have graduated.Nevertheless I had been fortunate and blessed and have had a great life thus far!!!!
Jack Adkins

Jackson, NJ

#11 Oct 5, 2009
I too grew up in avis in the 40s left in the 50s
Lea

Princeton, WV

#12 Oct 5, 2009
JWM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Lea & Mel. I did on occasion darken the door of Lakewood (wasn't quite of legal age to be there) and saw some interesting things. Do either of you remember the beer joint called "Jungle Beach" just before the Willowood bridge? I grew up in Hinton and graduated from HHS in 1961 and after graduation I went into the Air Force with my buddy Randy Martufi. Thanks for the memories.
So glad to see you here again, was afraid to ask if you were all right, in case you weren't. Actually, I accidentally lied about my visits to Lakewood, because the Monday after Hinton beat Beckley, and most kids walked out of the school (remember that), a few kids that had cars loaded them up, but couldn't think of anywhere to go that would be open, or their parents wouldn't see them out of school, so they headed there. Now, about Jungle Beach, when I was in high school, I think it was a place I probably wouldn't go, BUT, when I was a child, I remember my parents dressing up,(me too), and going to what I think was Jungle Beach or a place owned by Canterburys. There would be numerous couples with their children, and I remember spending the evening (especially at Canterburys), making myself dizzy turning around on the bar stool, while the adults socialized, ate (there was always food served), drank beer, played the jukebox, and maybe danced, but I'm not sure about that. The whole scenario was so family-oriented, so wholesome, it reminds you of what are still today the family pubs in European countries, but we don't have that here anymore. Not everyone drank beer, but everyone did go for the purpose of having a social life and sharing time with friends. Since we're confessing, what were you doing there JWM, or do you want to share? Ha!Ha!
JWM

Wise, VA

#13 Oct 5, 2009
Mel wrote:
I do remember Jungle Beach but never did go in there.I lived a pretty sheltered life up at Pipestem and I also remember Randy Martufi and also remember his mom.I had to quit school but 1961 is the year I would have graduated.Nevertheless I had been fortunate and blessed and have had a great life thus far!!!!
Mel, I'm sure we know each other. Did you ever hang out at Teen Town? I too have had a great life--retired now and get back to Hinton on occasion.
common sense

New Hope, VA

#14 Oct 5, 2009
Hey, all! Was the joint at Pipestem run by the Halls? One night I was in there( we went to dance and drink pepsi, honest injun') and a state trooper who knew my brother came in. He grabbed me up and took me home..I was so embarrassed! I never went to Jungle Beach; I guess I was afraid to go because it had quite a reputation. I wonder if I know any of you. I graduated in 1959 and left Hinton 2 weeks later. I have fond memories and still have family there, but would never move back. Keep the memories flowing, gang. This is really great. Do any of you remember the traveling "skate rink" in a big tent that came around sometimes?
Mel

Rockville, MD

#15 Oct 5, 2009
I probably went into Teen Town a couple of times but never hung out there on a regular basis/what iis the protocol here about last names? I really don't mind telling mine.
Lily

Beckley, WV

#16 Oct 5, 2009
How about 59 and 60s. Jacks, on corner of 2nd. ave and Ballengee St.? Who remembers the Country Inn at Pipestem? I remember hearing about Jungle Beach, but never was there. I think it burned.(not sure)Did any of you ever go to Persingers Skating Rink? This seems like a good topic, where we can remember the good old times.
JWM

Wise, VA

#17 Oct 5, 2009
Lea wrote:
<quoted text> So glad to see you here again, was afraid to ask if you were all right, in case you weren't. Actually, I accidentally lied about my visits to Lakewood, because the Monday after Hinton beat Beckley, and most kids walked out of the school (remember that), a few kids that had cars loaded them up, but couldn't think of anywhere to go that would be open, or their parents wouldn't see them out of school, so they headed there. Now, about Jungle Beach, when I was in high school, I think it was a place I probably wouldn't go, BUT, when I was a child, I remember my parents dressing up,(me too), and going to what I think was Jungle Beach or a place owned by Canterburys. There would be numerous couples with their children, and I remember spending the evening (especially at Canterburys), making myself dizzy turning around on the bar stool, while the adults socialized, ate (there was always food served), drank beer, played the jukebox, and maybe danced, but I'm not sure about that. The whole scenario was so family-oriented, so wholesome, it reminds you of what are still today the family pubs in European countries, but we don't have that here anymore. Not everyone drank beer, but everyone did go for the purpose of having a social life and sharing time with friends. Since we're confessing, what were you doing there JWM, or do you want to share? Ha!Ha!
Lea, had a really rough time with my health for awhile--feeling great now. I will have to confess that me and some of my buddies would go to different places (Jungle Beach, Lakewood, the Barn) just to see what it was like. If my parents knew it, I would have been grounded forever and maybe worse. It's a shame that families no longer go many places together, but I guess it's a rat race now just to survive. Hope that life has been good to you and we will always cherish our memories of a better time.
JWM

Wise, VA

#18 Oct 5, 2009
Mel wrote:
I probably went into Teen Town a couple of times but never hung out there on a regular basis/what iis the protocol here about last names? I really don't mind telling mine.
It's probably a good idea not to put your last name on here. Everyone knew me as "Jackie".
Lea

Princeton, WV

#19 Oct 5, 2009
Ah, the skating rinks-wasn't Persingers the one in town and the other one was up past Bellepoint, where the armory is now. It's so funny that the kids living down in Bellepoint walked up there sometimes, skated, then walked home, possibly Avis kids too-I don't know. Seems like I remember Mark Ratliff being one of the best local skaters. Of course downtown was better, also a hang out of sorts. When did the store become Doyles-I associate a guy with it whose last name was Arnold, but with me that could mean anything. J., I thought I had you on the Lakewood thing, but, looks like you behaved yourself more than some others-I think their name was Hall. Tell more about the Country Inn-I think I know where it was, so, was it a hang out of sorts?
Lea

Princeton, WV

#20 Oct 5, 2009
I knew it! I knew it! Someone my age, with my mental INCAPACITY could not post on two threads at once without totally going 'bonkers'. That last post OF COURSE was meant for the Memories topic--just wanted to make everyone else as crazy as I am.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 128
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Officer recovering after off duty shooting 2 hr Carl 108
Clara Mitchell (Aug '15) 5 hr Grace 5
David Wayne Lilly, bobbi jean cole 5 hr Ghosr 5
Andrew Vandall. (Jan '14) 8 hr Get it str8 18
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 13 hr Dazed 4,396
Big 4 Brotherhood building 1910 (Sep '08) 15 hr Country gal 22
Connie northern 23 hr I see it 1

Hinton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance