Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#19474 Jul 11, 2013
Yeah, he's a real "winner."

http://news.yahoo.com/rand-pauls-troubling-ti...

;)

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#19475 Jul 11, 2013
While I don't personally agree with funding any country's military other than our own, I have to admit there's more to the situation than meets the eye:

"In case you haven't heard, there's been a coup in Egypt. It has been a coup in the sense that the military has taken Egypt's first elected president, put him in confinement and placed themselves in power. Their supporters are calling it a popular uprising, but let's be adults. In the military's defense they have vowed to return the country to a democracy and even laid out concrete steps to do so. The problem, of course, is that no country is really a democracy if elected officials are deposed every time they displease the military brass. The United States, for its part, gives the Egyptian military $1.5 billion in military aid every year-- about 25% of Egypt's military spending.

"I think it would not be in the best interest of the United States to immediately change our assistance programs to Egypt," White House press secretary Jay Carney said. "We are reviewing our obligations under the law, and we will be consulting with Congress about the way forward."

The argument for keeping military aid flowing to Egypt is pretty simple. Basically, you have more influence over chaotic events in a vital part of the world if you are bankrolling a military. The minute you stop paying the guys with guns, people stop listening to you. We are, in effect, paying to keep the Sinai Canal operating normally, to ensure that the Egyptians don't attack Israel, and to maintain a loosely affiliated proxy military in the region. Besides, if we don't fund them, there's a good chance China or Russia will. If Iran runs Hezbollah and Russia runs Syria, then we run Egypt."

So in essence, we're keeping our money in the game so that someone else doesn't take our seat.

This phrase is key:

"We are, in effect, paying to keep the Sinai Canal operating normally, to ensure that the Egyptians don't attack Israel, and to maintain a loosely affiliated proxy military in the region. Besides, if we don't fund them, there's a good chance China or Russia will. If Iran runs Hezbollah and Russia runs Syria, then we run Egypt."

http://inthecapital.streetwise.co/2013/07/09/...

It's a risk, but for the sake of stability in the region, one we have to take.

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#19476 Jul 11, 2013
This might be another reason the US is reluctant to pull the plug on aid to Egypt:

http://mideast.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/0...
Arthur

United States

#19477 Jul 11, 2013
The reasons are completely irrelevant. In a democracy we follow the law, not disregard it when we feel like it. This is a clear violation of US law and an impeachable offense.
Arthur

United States

#19478 Jul 11, 2013
This is a perfect example of how Obama's arrogance is out of control. I will tell you the reason he is ignoring the law. Because he thinks he is above the law and can do as he damn well please. It would be inconvenient to follow the law. What should be done in a lawful democracy is aid must stop now. Then the President asks Congress for an "exemption" so to speak. Easily done, the law is followed, but then the president and the lawmakers would have to justify authorizing giving billions of taxpayer money to Egypt at the same time slashing American jobs and programs. That would be inconvenient. Obama instead just ignores the law and does what he pleases, and saves everyone the inconvenience. Impeach Obama NOW!

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#19479 Jul 11, 2013
Arthur wrote:
This is a perfect example of how Obama's arrogance is out of control. I will tell you the reason he is ignoring the law. Because he thinks he is above the law and can do as he damn well please. It would be inconvenient to follow the law. What should be done in a lawful democracy is aid must stop now. Then the President asks Congress for an "exemption" so to speak. Easily done, the law is followed, but then the president and the lawmakers would have to justify authorizing giving billions of taxpayer money to Egypt at the same time slashing American jobs and programs. That would be inconvenient. Obama instead just ignores the law and does what he pleases, and saves everyone the inconvenience. Impeach Obama NOW!
Well that is certainly one theory, but when rational people consider that there is a delicate balance of power in the Middle East and we are still dependent on their oil for our survival AND DEFENSE, one might be less inclined to look at it from the standpoint of an "impeachable offense."

Besides, you know full well if he did pull the plug on Egyptian aid and Egypt fell to Hezbollah or some other terrorist group, you loons on the right would be the first ones SQUAWKING about it.
good people

West Hamlin, WV

#19480 Jul 11, 2013
pray
Arthur

United States

#19481 Jul 11, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that is certainly one theory, but when rational people consider that there is a delicate balance of power in the Middle East and we are still dependent on their oil for our survival AND DEFENSE, one might be less inclined to look at it from the standpoint of an "impeachable offense."
Besides, you know full well if he did pull the plug on Egyptian aid and Egypt fell to Hezbollah or some other terrorist group, you loons on the right would be the first ones SQUAWKING about it.
I understand there is a delicate balance of power and that withdrawing aid will have consequences. That is irrelevant once again. That is part of a democracy. There are risks and consequences. When you ignore the law when you please it is no longer a lawful democracy. You cant explain away knowingly unlawful acts by claiming some higher purpose. A lawful society doesnt work that way. Impeach Obama Now!
Arthur

United States

#19482 Jul 11, 2013
I guess next time I am late for work and get a speeding ticket I will use the Obama defense. I was knowingly breaking the law but it was in my own best interest and for the greater good so by example Obama says it is ok. See if I was late for work I might get fired. If I get fired that is against my own best interest bigtime. It is also in everyone best interest that I dont get fired and have to go on welfare, so let me break the law with impunity.
Well Duh

Ashburn, VA

#19483 Jul 11, 2013
The big picture is this......we do not give a rat's ass about the people over there. It is the oil and everyone knows it. So we suck on their tit to get the black gold of mother earth from them. If we depend on our own resourses and become the leaders in enginuity again, we will be top dog again. But when we do, we keep these jobs here ladies.

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#19484 Jul 11, 2013
Arthur wrote:
<quoted text>I understand there is a delicate balance of power and that withdrawing aid will have consequences. That is irrelevant once again. That is part of a democracy. There are risks and consequences. When you ignore the law when you please it is no longer a lawful democracy. You cant explain away knowingly unlawful acts by claiming some higher purpose. A lawful society doesnt work that way. Impeach Obama Now!
It's not irrelevant in the least Arthur. It's the only reason we are there to begin with. Or did you think we had some noble reason for being there like "spreading democracy?"
Well Duh

Ashburn, VA

#19485 Jul 11, 2013
Here is another smack in the face from the NSA. Microsoft has been letting them tap in to their global internet including SKYPE. So yes, big brother has been watching everything and probably these posts. We are the biggest hypocritcs in the world thanks to the Patriot Act by Bush and the total abuse by his and Obama's administration. I do not want to hear anything out of the current presidential idiots mouth about how other countries abuse the rights of their citizens again.

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#19486 Jul 11, 2013
Arthur wrote:
I guess next time I am late for work and get a speeding ticket I will use the Obama defense. I was knowingly breaking the law but it was in my own best interest and for the greater good so by example Obama says it is ok. See if I was late for work I might get fired. If I get fired that is against my own best interest bigtime. It is also in everyone best interest that I dont get fired and have to go on welfare, so let me break the law with impunity.
Arthur, you're going to make a great republican.

;)

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Egypt is strategically important to the US. You'd be one of the first ones whining if the balance of power in the Middle East changed and you had to start paying 8 bucks a gallon for gas.
1 post removed

GtarMan
Level 8

Since: Mar 13

Parkersburg, WV

#19488 Jul 11, 2013
I'm betting Israel starts finding oil soon.
They recently found a crapload of natural gas under there.

It's why Russia is helping those against Israel

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#19489 Jul 11, 2013
Crowley wrote:
<quoted text>
Stuck Fick, why don't we develop our own resources, install the new pipeline that you cowards on the left are resisting and become less energy dependent on the irrational Islamists in the Middle East? Oh, I know, it is because of the irrational Islamist in the White House.
First of all, we have developed our own resources and we continue to do so. Second of all, by all accounts, including oil industry analysts, that pipeline ain't going to do squat for supplying us more gas. It's going to Houston for EXPORT, dingaling.

Lastly, we are importing less oil and exporting more gas under this president than the last one, so by your logic, that makes the last one the Islamist.

Once again COWARDLY, you're loud, but wrong.
Well Duh

Ashburn, VA

#19490 Jul 11, 2013
Crowley.....that is so funny because it is true. We have enough natural resources here, but the left cry about enviroment and hug the trees. That is smoke covered crap and the tree huggers do not know squat. If we go back and start to innovate we could lead the world again.

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#19491 Jul 11, 2013
Crowley wrote:
<quoted text>
Stuck Fick, why don't we develop our own resources, install the new pipeline that you cowards on the left are resisting and become less energy dependent on the irrational Islamists in the Middle East? Oh, I know, it is because of the irrational Islamist in the White House.
Just to back up my claims:

1.) Keystone XL supplies gas for the gulf coast export market.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2012/03...

2.) Oil imports are down and gasoline exports are up:

http://news.msn.com/us/us-has-cut-oil-imports...

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#19492 Jul 11, 2013
Well Duh wrote:
Crowley.....that is so funny because it is true. We have enough natural resources here, but the left cry about enviroment and hug the trees. That is smoke covered crap and the tree huggers do not know squat. If we go back and start to innovate we could lead the world again.
No, Cowardly is never right. He hasn't been right about anything. The Keystone Pipeline has nothing to do with the domestic market. Nothing at all. That gas is for export.

"There's news out today that the U.S. is importing less crude oil from foreign countries - the lowest amount in a decade. That's often bad news for the economy, but measured alongside oil exports, it looks like a good number. It means the trade gap is narrowing. The U.S. is spending less money on foreign crude oil, and other countries are actually buying refined oil from here."

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/sustainabil...
1 post removed
Arthur

United States

#19494 Jul 11, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not irrelevant in the least Arthur. It's the only reason we are there to begin with. Or did you think we had some noble reason for being there like "spreading democracy?"
I find it absolutely astounding you accept the government breaking the law whenever it feels like it. Yes, the reasons/excuses for breaking the law are irrelevant. In a lawful democracy you can not break the law because it is inconvenient to follow the law, and that is exactly what is happening and you just shrug it off. We both know the president could abide by the laws of the land and then ask for an exemption for Egypt, but that would be inconvenient and unpopular. Great reasons to break the law. This country is beyond help when the government publicly and openly violates the law and very few even care. If this was a Republican president you would be screaming for impeachment.
1 post removed
sundog the whiner

Oakvale, WV

#19496 Jul 11, 2013
sundog is what you would call an attention whhhoooorrrreee; always making posts, unintelligible as they are, just to get attention; sundog's goal in life is to be king of topix, now that says it all about this pathetic, chronic poster

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's play follow the word (Oct '08) 1 hr Dear Missus 3,091
McDonalds 7 hr Ella 3
Whatever happened to Shawn Richmond and Ashley,... 19 hr Lol 5
? Selling on summer st 19 hr Whatever 34
Dj Adkins (Jan '15) 19 hr Tom 2
any available girls in hinton (Oct '13) 21 hr Tom 46
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Tue TheTruthAlways2 4,168

Hinton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance