Marlinton, WV

#1 Jul 25, 2011
begin:
superwoman

Mount Hope, WV

#2 Jul 25, 2011
summers county legends wrote:
begin:
Number one Summers County Legend is Don Galloway...bad to the bone, or soft as a teddy bear depending on who you ask.
Or did you mean stories instead of real people?
I do like the part of the story where America's Most Wanted came to town.
PIPESTEM BOY 1942

AOL

#3 Jul 26, 2011
I nominate Dr J W Stokes as the number #1 legend of Summers County. Those of us who knew him well remembers his tireless efforts to deliver babies in the county and to help people who didn't always have the money to pay him.
the year of 1952

United States

#4 Jul 26, 2011
PIPESTEM BOY 1942 wrote:
I nominate Dr J W Stokes as the number #1 legend of Summers County. Those of us who knew him well remembers his tireless efforts to deliver babies in the county and to help people who didn't always have the money to pay him.
I agree Dr. J.W Stokes was no. 1 he delivered me July 06 1952
Me Too

Snowshoe, WV

#5 Jul 26, 2011
I agree also! He delivered me on a cold January day in 1965. He held me up to weigh me because he didn't have a set of scales and told my mom that I weighed about 7 1/2 pounds. I can remember going to his office when I was older and was sick and a pennicillin shot was the cure all. Boy did those suckers hurt but it did seem to help. He was a great doctor and a great person in the community and if you didn't have the money to pay him he didn't worry about it. As long as he could help you that was what mattered to him!
shanna

United States

#6 Jul 26, 2011
I agree too. You can't find a doctor like that anymore. Most doctors won't even think about checkin ya out if you don't have insurance or the money to pay right then.
Sassafras

Baytown, TX

#7 Jul 26, 2011
I vote for Doctor Stokes! He delivered me at home in '49 as well as my father in '29. He worked in rain, snow, and dark of night.

“Faith, Hope, & LOVE”

Level 8

Since: Dec 08

One Nation Under God

#8 Jul 26, 2011
That's how country folks use to be. Seems the almighty dollar prevails over compassion much too often.

*NOTWF*
ivan

Marlinton, WV

#9 Jul 26, 2011
i agree. he didn't deliver me but was my doctor as a kid. he was a great person, funny, and loved people. he sure could give a shot FAST.
LexLugar

Oak Hill, WV

#10 Jul 26, 2011
My vote is for Luther Wills, he is legendary.
Art

North Liberty, IN

#11 Jul 26, 2011
Based on my wife's memories another vote for Dr. Stokes.

She says,' on the way up the hill to Marvin's place, the car got hung up on a ladder hidden under the snow and Doc hiked the rest of the way to deliver her brother. That was back in '38 or '39.'

She doesnt recall what payment was given but is sure that it wasnt very much.

She never fails to mention that Doc asked for a teaspoon of cold water which he gave the baby saying 'Now he will never have colic' So the story goes, he never did.
ivan

Marlinton, WV

#12 Jul 26, 2011
dr. stokes was a true healer.

Level 3

Since: Jul 08

Mineral Wells, WV

#13 Jul 27, 2011
He was a good man
Big Dummy

Mount Hope, WV

#14 Jul 27, 2011
What about Shiriff Dillon?

“Faith, Hope, & LOVE”

Level 8

Since: Dec 08

One Nation Under God

#15 Jul 29, 2011
Doctors bring life into being and try to keep it worth living. Sheriffs?? Bah.

*NOTWF*
fatboy

United States

#16 Aug 5, 2011
I have to say grandpa dail or at least that what everyone called him. Everyone knew him and he was a great man one of the most honest purest man I knew
Linda

Buffalo, WV

#17 Aug 5, 2011
For me --after Dr Stokes a legend to me would have to be Mr.Skidmore.Ran a grocery store,was a farmer and willing to help everyone.He was also blind.
Bazinga

United States

#18 Aug 6, 2011
PIPESTEM BOY 1942 wrote:
He has my vote, too. I bet he went to be with the Lord with half the county owing him for his services. Not only did he take care of the whole county, he took very good care of the football team. He gave so uselfishly to them every week.

It was wrong of the county to rename the stadium to Garten. He got paid to be their and coach the team; Dr. Stokes gave of his time and talent with no pay. Garten give them but what they paid him to give.
New River Lassie

United States

#19 Aug 6, 2011
superwoman wrote:
<quoted text>Number one Summers County Legend is Don Galloway...bad to the bone, or soft as a teddy bear depending on who you ask.
Or did you mean stories instead of real people?
I do like the part of the story where America's Most Wanted came to town.
Is Don really the one you would choose to represent our county as the best we have to offer?

Maybe the best drugs!
vote

Oak Hill, WV

#20 Aug 7, 2011
fatboy wrote:
I have to say grandpa dail or at least that what everyone called him. Everyone knew him and he was a great man one of the most honest purest man I knew
Do you mean daw gill and if you do I agree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
? Selling on summer st 14 hr Danni adkins 33
Rhodetta adkins the 2nd post 14 hr Danni adkins 103
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 19 hr Peace 4,149
Does anyone know "Doug Gill"? 21 hr Meagan 27
Change A Word Game (Jul '11) Wed quilterqueen 3,426
*Chane 1 Letter* (Nov '12) Wed quilterqueen 2,089
Poll Does a child deserve to know who their biologic... (Apr '11) Jun 26 Nobodyknows 89

Hinton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hinton Mortgages