can you hear me now

Sutton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

I've heard there are several cell towers going up in the area (Forest Hill, Pipestem, Jumping Branch ect...) Does anyone know this to be so and which provider it is?
METOO

Mineral Wells, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

can you hear me now wrote:
I've heard there are several cell towers going up in the area (Forest Hill, Pipestem, Jumping Branch ect...) Does anyone know this to be so and which provider it is?
I have heard that too. No idea about all of them but the guy at Verizon in Princeton told me they were putting the one up in Pipestem.
TowerGuy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2008

nope Sandstone Abraham and Green Sulphur only
Cell girl

Sulphur Springs, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2008

AT&T has one in Pipestem but I don't think it is functional yet.
aquarian

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2008

don't get verizon wireless. their cell phone bills are outrageous. when i got with them, they said my bill would be no more than 100 bucks a month for 2 phones...and it's 160 bucks.
1 post removed
Truth Teller

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

My uncle's working on the crew putting them up. Most are Verizon, and they're going up on Hix Mt, Sandstone, Pipestem, and a lot of other places. They're supposed to be putting them up in the dead spots in this area.
hum

Sutton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

i know i have cellular one and i onlnly paid $45.00 some where in there
and now they want me to go over to at&t
and pay $60 to $70 dollars...lol
VZWGrl

Lufkin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

the thing with verizon is---- verizon is the only company who can use OTHER peoples towers.... like when i am in hinton, i use US CELLULAR towers...however when verizon puts those towers up----Verizon customers will be the ones to use them.... nobody can bounce off verizon towers...so verizon will have service in places US Cell/AT&T wont!!!!!!
about the same

Sutton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

From what I can see the plans are about the same minutes/per price between
Att and Verizon. I do know that verizon can bounce off of other towers but isn't only US cell towers? What about the tower they put up a couple years ago on White Oak? I have been told that it isn't active right now either, does anyone know why or if they are working on it?
Does anyone know when the one at Pipestem will be active?
I AGREE

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

hum wrote:
i know i have cellular one and i onlnly paid $45.00 some where in there
and now they want me to go over to at&t
and pay $60 to $70 dollars...lol
yeah i know how you feel. I use to only pay 50.00 dollars a month and now since i had to switch to AT&T i pay like 70.00 dollars..they have been ripping me off so bad since i start with this service. When i first went to get my cell phone switched my cell at the time was in my name and they would let me keep it in my name cause they said i had to pay like 500.00 dollars for some bs..so my mom had to put the phone back in her name.
What

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

VZWGrl wrote:
the thing with verizon is---- verizon is the only company who can use OTHER peoples towers.... like when i am in hinton, i use US CELLULAR towers...however when verizon puts those towers up----Verizon customers will be the ones to use them.... nobody can bounce off verizon towers...so verizon will have service in places US Cell/AT&T wont!!!!!!
Verizon isn't the only company that can use someone else's towers. It's called roaming and any company allows roaming as long as they have a roaming agreement with the other company whose tower you are hitting off of. The reason that nobody can bounce off of Verizon's towers is because they use outdated technology that nobody else has anymore.
What

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

The reason that AT&T costs more than Cell One is because you are getting newer technology and a wider selection of phones/plans/services. And you're also getting a MUCH larger coverage area. Rather than local/regional coverage, you get nationwide coverage with no roaming thanks to those roaming agreements ;)
Nice

Mineral Wells, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

What wrote:
The reason that AT&T costs more than Cell One is because you are getting newer technology and a wider selection of phones/plans/services. And you're also getting a MUCH larger coverage area. Rather than local/regional coverage, you get nationwide coverage with no roaming thanks to those roaming agreements ;)
This is the closest to accurate statement we have conjectured thus far. U.S. Cellular and Verizon use what is called an all digital network, not yet outdated but rapidly on it's way out. AT&T and some others use what is known as a GSM/EDGE network. Consider this one as an "always on, broadband internet phone/connection". I am not stating that one is any superior to the other, yet. People with Cellular One and AT&T have this GSM/EDGE connection, as for now its bandwith has not been structured to effectivly penetrate walls or large buildings, resulting in lower signal quality compared to the other market provider's device. However, this will change, the kinks will be worked out of it, and an all digital network will be less effecient for todays business people requiring access to the latest technology and information.
Information

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2008

Verizon and US Cellular feed off the same towers. If you are in a place that has a Verizon tower then your US Cell phone will use that tower.

Verizon and US Cellular operate on the CDMA network and AT&T operate under 3G network which is alot faster than the others.
just passing by

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

I have US Cellular and have very little signal if any where I live. This summer they built a tower I can see from my house. I was told it was Verizon and that US Cell. uses their tower's. The tower appears to be finished with blinking light and all. My cell signal is unchanged. The tower is on Chestnut Mtn. Does anyone know for sure whos tower it is?
VZWGrl

Lufkin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

US cellular CAN NOT use verizon towers....call Verizon and ask em. Cell one and TMobile are the only TWO companies in the united states that use their little GSM network. Verizon is building a lot of towers in SUmmers Co but they will not be activated until the next month or two. Verizon is the only company that has "bought out aggreements" with other companies to use towers....not vice versa. When I am in a VERIZON area i have EV service....which is digital...with 8 bars. Thats why my internet on my phone is just as fast as my cable internet connection on my computer. when i go use a US cell tower and surf the net....its slow. Verizon isn't going to activate one tower at a time. They are going to install them, activate them all and have it up and running. I know us cell doesnt use verizon towers because I had US cell before I switched.... drive past a verizon tower....my phone dropped signal. The tower on white oak is cell one.((which still didnt help the signal in jumping branch)) I have had us cell/at&t/verizon....and I will never switch back to us cellular or at&t.....
1 post removed
Information

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

I believe that you have your information incorrect. When you are roaming with US Cellular and you go to make a call it says thank you for using verizon, then makes your call. AT&T is the only network that does not piggy back on other towers. AT&T now owns the tower in White Oak and the reason your phone wouldn't have picked up is because US Cell and verizon doesn't use the same network. AT&T is GSM and Edge....US and Verizon are CDMA! You can call and back that information up, but I work for the company and I know this information to be a fact and I have it in writing!
Havereturned2

Winterville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

Cell girl wrote:
AT&T has one in Pipestem but I don't think it is functional yet.
I have AT&T and they lie. I don't have full bars all the time.
Good luck

Lufkin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

The only company that truly compares to verizon signal is unfortunately at&t. Which does use the Gsm network, but they are not the only one. T-Mobile uses that network as well, and you can roam between the 2. There are charges for doing so. Now with verizon you can use any CDMA network (sprint, us cellular, nextel, ntelos, alltel which has been bought by verizon, etc....). The difference between a verizon tower and an us cellular tower is that it will be Rev A capable. Which means it will operate at 3G speed. Difference is a us cellular phone will be similar to a dial up connection while verizon will be cable internet. Verizon is the largest and highest speed network in America. Check any website that rates companies and verizon is always #1. As for Summers County. Over 20 towers will be activated within a month. It already works on the us cellular network but will the much faster and clearer soon. Us cellular phones will not be capable of operating at the new towers speeds. They'll work but they won't be as effective as a Verizon phone.
i know different

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

there is a tower coming up in hilldale,behind gotta stop

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Hinton Forum right now

Search the Hinton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 2 min Well Duh 54,261
joey brown 1 hr crazy 1
state water festival 5 hr cuz 24
Jerry Bragg 5 hr cuz 13
the lilly pad 6 hr lol 14
Andy Lyons 6 hr too late 4
its fun breaking up marriages&relationships Tue Billy Ray 10
•••
•••
•••
•••

Hinton Jobs

•••