“as you would have others...”

Level 1

Since: Mar 09

United States

#21 Oct 15, 2012
I had no idea of the number of health benefits of elderberry. I've done some research and even though I'd never heard of it being used for teething discomfort, apparently alot of others have.
So I'm guessing that Headstart's actions are to be on the safe side. I don't know how your son's necklace was put together, I've read of a couple of different ways to make them, but if the necklace were to break, the small pieces could pose a choking hazard for your son as well as other little ones. On the other hand, if the necklace didn't break easily enough, it could cause a strangulation hazard for you son.
no way

Orange, VA

#22 Oct 15, 2012
Suck it up and do what is right for that child take it off wheb he goes to school and put it on at home if you choose. Head Start is very valuable to young children to learn how to play , sing paint all they do is play to them. while they are learning how to hold crayons , to create pictures from their imaginations. get along with others and more . Please do this for you child I know you love him by wanting to protect his rights but this is a right that will not bring harm to him if you just takw it off when in Head Start . I agree it wont hurt him to wear it my brothers kids wore them they are amarter than me . Try to have the best of both to your child
abc-123

Bluefield, WV

#23 Oct 15, 2012
Considering you can't spell MEANT, or GINSENG correctly I won't be offended by your comment. Considering I have done my research and on several sites this is clearly printed:

"The roots and some other parts of the elderberry tree are highly poisonous and will cause many problems."

I will continue to state as above, elderberry is possibly dangerous, whether you like it or not. I did my research, however, for someone who can't spell correctly I guess that would be quite hard to understand.

I will run my mouth as much as I want and about what I want and YOU will not stop me. There are other side affects of elderberry posted above that I also read. So before you decide to be rude and arrogant you should learn how to spell first and do some research yourself. I will take the websites I visited over your word any day of the week! I stand by my first comment, other children should NOT be put in danger for this one child, like it or not!

It really doesn't make you look any better to change posting names. Not hard to see the same rude arrogant parent who thinks the rules should be changed for their child whether other children are in danger or not!

If you did not want to see other people's opinion on this subject you should not have started this thread but it seems you just wanted to trash Head Start and when that backfired and people stood up for the program and didn't agree with you, you went on attack, even with the very first poster, who researched and even posted why they felt the way they did. I feel sorry for your children based on your posts and your spelling.

My mouth may be big, but at least I can spell MEANT and GINSENG correctly. I have my facts but you have proven that you do not!

WAY 2 GO HEAD START!!!! Keep up the GOOD WORK!!!!!
richmond papaw wrote:
I dont know what you ment by saying about elderberry being dangerous you need to learn what you are talking about before you run your big mouth. Just like gensing it is used for alot of remedies. So get the facts before you run your big mouth.

“as you would have others...”

Level 1

Since: Mar 09

United States

#24 Oct 15, 2012
Holy crap! You actually have the audacity to call this poster rude and arrogant, while harping on their incorrect spelling of a couple of words, yet you think elderberry has side 'a'ffects??? That's just too funny.
BTW, walking outside is 'possibly' dangerous too. In fact so is staying inside. Hell, everything we do or don't do is 'possibly' dangerous. So why don't you get off your high horse and come on back down to Earth with the rest of us for a while? LMAO@U
hmm

United States

#25 Oct 15, 2012
If you didn't want any responses,why did you even post?These people are only trying to help you out.Kinda like "what if one day he was fine and then it just hit him all at once and made him sick or something". maybe you should have talked to the teachers and b.o.e instead of getting on here.But anyone will tell you that your child NEEDS to be in pre-school so they can socialize and learn.At a young age they are eager to learn and play with other kids.It def helps them get ready for kindergarten and helps them to be open.Next time do what you want instead of advertising to the whole town.

Level 1

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#26 Oct 15, 2012
Since you interjected yourself into a post that had nothing to do with you, think i will too. Calling someone "big mouth" is very rude. Cyanide like poison which is in elderberry is a freaking poison, even though you seem too not understand that point. Now why don't you go eat all the elderberry that you please but I happen to have a child in head start and I would fight this issue until the bitter end if something wasn't done. You can believe whatever you want since what you think doesn't harm any children but Head start made the right decision and I stand by them 100%. Other parents that now know about this issue also support Head start. The AMA has some things to say about elderberry also:

"Elderberry contains cyanogenic glycosides & it should be used with caution . These are substances that release the poison cyanide. The danger starts mainly from the stems, roots, and leaves. It is listed as a Poisonous Injurious Plant in the American Medical Association's 1985 edition AMA Handbook of Poisonous Plants.
Stop using the medicine right away and consult to the doctor if individual have any of the following side effects such as breathing disorders or tightness in the throat or chest, pain in the chest ,skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin."

Here are some side effects that do exist regardless of what some people believe:
"There are some other side effects may occurs with this herb such as irregular heart beet, stomach upset & diarrhea. It is not recommended to use elderberry in young children, pregnant or nursing women, or those with complex liver or kidney disease."

This information was gathered from different websites. The links are below.

http://www.health-care-tips.org/herbal-medici...

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ing...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/128286-side...

"The leaves, seeds and bark of this tree may cause poisonous effects if consumed, and so can eating elderberries that are unripe or not cooked thoroughly. Ingesting any of these substances can lead to gastrointestinal effects including abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting and severe diarrhea, as explained by the U.S. National Institutes of Health. Other possible toxic effects include dizziness, headache, weakness, rapid heart rate and seizures."

I have proven why my child will be safer since this poison will not be at head start with FACTS! This is about one parent who didn't get her way and is now trying to cause trouble for head start. Now that you have shown your ignorance, go eat all the elderberry that you want and ignore the AMA as well as the NIH, which is also quoted in the literature and do what the hell ever makes you feel brave, while I make damn sure my child is no where near any poisons, no matter who's child it is!

"It is listed as a Poisonous Injurious Plant in the American Medical Association's 1985 edition AMA Handbook of Poisonous Plants."
do unto others wrote:
Holy crap! You actually have the audacity to call this poster rude and arrogant, while harping on their incorrect spelling of a couple of words, yet you think elderberry has side 'a'ffects??? That's just too funny.
BTW, walking outside is 'possibly' dangerous too. In fact so is staying inside. Hell, everything we do or don't do is 'possibly' dangerous. So why don't you get off your high horse and come on back down to Earth with the rest of us for a while? LMAO@U

“as you would have others...”

Level 1

Since: Mar 09

United States

#27 Oct 15, 2012
The AMA has the elderberry listed because it is a cyanogenic i.e. It can break down in the body to form cyanide. There are over 2650+ plants that are cyanogenic.
Of the top 25 food crops that are produced for human consumption, over 2/3 are cyanogenic. Here's a sample: almonds, sugarcane, spinach, corn, bamboo shoots, lima beans, cassava (tapioca)...
When consumed in small amounts, cyanide combines with another chemical in the body to form B-12, which helps maintain healthy nerve and red blood cells.
Cyanide poisoning symptoms appear seconds to minutes after exposure.
So keep your little girl away from all the spinach and lima beans too. Because cyanide like poison which is in elderberry, spinach, and lima beans is a freaking poison LMAO.
Instead of picking around all the facts for the info you want supported, you should actually do the research on it.

Level 1

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#28 Oct 16, 2012
FACT:

"It is listed as a Poisonous Injurious Plant in the American Medical Association's 1985 edition AMA Handbook of Poisonous Plants."

Here it is again since you are too dumb to get it.

"It is listed as a Poisonous Injurious Plant in the American Medical Association's 1985 edition AMA Handbook of Poisonous Plants."

I will protect my child and while I am at it I will hope that you don't have children because some people are just too damn stupid to be parents. As far as the other things you listed I would bet they are not listed as a POISONOUS INJURIOUS PLANT! Now make sure you post some more ignorant stuff.

Oh just like the post about the KKK. How would you know such a thing unless you are a part of the KKK. Really I don't give a damn because you mean nothing at all to me.

You should change your nick because you jumped on a post that had nothing to do with you at all and if you believe that you should be treated the way you treated that person you agree you deserve to be treated shitty, or you are a hypocrite!

Just to prove how you like to change things around and what you post should not be trusted, I have never posted if I had a girl or boy in Head Start. My words was "child", yet you have changed that to girl. I posted links to back up what I posted, you posted pure B.S. with nothing to back it up.

The NIH also says its has side effects but I guess you will ignore them too. Your comparison is like comparing apples to oranges, there is no comparison. I get that you THINK you are smarter than the AMA and the NIH which are both critical of elderberry only in your own mind, what little you have, are you smarter than the AMA or NIH. I posted FACTS backed up by the AMA and NIH, you posted pure b.s. Now you go on with your stupid ignorant self and have fun comparing elderberry to lima beans because it only shows how ignorant YOU are.
do unto others wrote:
The AMA has the elderberry listed because it is a cyanogenic i.e. It can break down in the body to form cyanide. There are over 2650+ plants that are cyanogenic.
Of the top 25 food crops that are produced for human consumption, over 2/3 are cyanogenic. Here's a sample: almonds, sugarcane, spinach, corn, bamboo shoots, lima beans, cassava (tapioca)...
When consumed in small amounts, cyanide combines with another chemical in the body to form B-12, which helps maintain healthy nerve and red blood cells.
Cyanide poisoning symptoms appear seconds to minutes after exposure.
So keep your little girl away from all the spinach and lima beans too. Because cyanide like poison which is in elderberry, spinach, and lima beans is a freaking poison LMAO.
Instead of picking around all the facts for the info you want supported, you should actually do the research on it.

“as you would have others...”

Level 1

Since: Mar 09

United States

#29 Oct 16, 2012
First off, just to get it out of the way...how would I know such a thing unless I were part of the KKK? How would I know there have always been KKK in Hinton and SC? How would I know they don't demonstrate their cowardice hatred hatred unless they can do it in numbers? How would I know they hide behind their dress' hoods? How would I know we don't need the trouble they would bring by coming to Hinton to 'clean up our streets'? Yep, you got me. I sure must be part of the KKK. Still LMAO@U

“as you would have others...”

Level 1

Since: Mar 09

United States

#30 Oct 16, 2012
The way I responded to that 'other' poster was far less 'shitty' than the way they responded to richmond girl and papaw. If ever I were acting like an arrogant, self-righteous b*tch, then yeah, I would appreciate someone telling me I should take it down a notch. No hypocrisy there.
'They' responded to a post that wasn't even addressed to them in an arrogant and rude manner while calling the papaw arrogant and rude. They continued to harp about the incorrect spelling of 2 words while at the same time either incorrectly spelling 'effect' or not knowing the diference between affect and effect.
Irony or hypocrisy? I couldn't tell ya this morning, I have too much on my mind to analyze right now.

“as you would have others...”

Level 1

Since: Mar 09

United States

#31 Oct 16, 2012
Well, if you're not the woman that got fired from SAL for falsifying paperwork, I'll eat my hat! Or maybe you're the woman that couldn't do her job of supervising kids because she couldn't stay off Topix and FB! Why doesn't she work there anymore? I can't remember if it was because of the 'not supervising kids' or because 'nobody could really stand to be around her b*tchy a** all day'. So yeah, I know you have a daughter.
All the info I put out there is indeed fact. All it would take to verify, is a quick search. I got my info from the same sites you listed in addition to a few others, but instead of copying and pasting to support a biased view, I actually did some research.
richmondgirl

Hurricane, WV

#32 Oct 16, 2012
i have never worked at SAL nor any child care place so you can "eat your hat"
1 post removed
richmondgirl

Hurricane, WV

#34 Oct 16, 2012
Recently i made a elderberry stem necklace from a black beauty for my teething baby.

I boiled the stem part that feels like wood and threaded it on a string along with some

baltic amber.

Has anyone ever heard of this ?

It is suppose to keep the baby from drooling and being in pain.

ShareTwitterFacebook

Views: 176

► Reply to This
..

Replies to This Discussion
Permalink Reply by Lori Webb on May 9, 2011 at 7:05am

Yes, 28 years ago my daughter had such a hard time teething I finally broke down and asked my husband's grandmother what I could do about it. Her mother was Indian. She was always telling me about about some home remedy her mother did. At this point I was willing to try anything. She would not eat or sleep. She was having runny diapers from her neck to her knees. She was losing weight. Her pediatrician just said she would out grow it. I was not sure we would live to tell about it. And this was normally a very happy baby. So Granny (as she liked to be called) told me to find an elderberry bush. Take a branch and strip the outer bark off. Cut the inner part (that was cork-like) into medium bead size and to string it onto small elastic cording and to hang it around her neck. Within a day she was sleeping, eating and happy. Imagine the questions I got from people.(friends, church etc) I really did not care. All that mattered was I had my kid back. She wore it for a couple of weeks and then I made a new one. After a few months I decided to take it off and see what would happen. She went right back to being miserable. I continued to put fresh necklaces on her until she was 2yrs after that. When her brother came along and started the same symptoms I did the same for him. Although not as bad of a teether as his sister was, I thought why suffer if you don't have too. So, now on to the next generation. I am on the hunt for an elderberry bush for my grandson who is about to chew his hands off teething. On my hunt I found your post. All I can say is, "It worked for my kids." If you know where I can track this elusive bush, down let me know. Thanks Lori

also found this someone else in the world using a old remedy OMG! can you believe something like that is happening?

Level 1

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#35 Oct 16, 2012
do unto others
“as you would have others...”
There have always been klan in Hinton and Summers County. The fact that they don't hide behind their dress' hoods until they can demonstate their cowardice hatred in number keeps them pretty much quiet.

The above is the comment I was referring to so the b.s you typed is just that, more of your nonsensical b.s. The very first line you state the KKK has always been in Hinton. I ask how would you know that.

I bet you do have too much on your mind because the lies you have told in these three comments are endless. I will prove you for what you are, a liar, nothing more and nothing less. ABC_123's very first comment was expressing an opinion, not rude or arrogant at all. In this comment the poster calls elderberry possibly poisonous. That is when the comment calling this poster "big mouth" was posted in response to ABC's comment. You state the comment "wasn't even addressed to them" however it was addressed to them. I will prove that too because I know how you just don't get these concepts.

From ABC's comment:

"ALL children should be safe. No child should be put at risk because one parent wants their child to wear a necklace filled with a this possibly poisonous home remedy."

This is from Richmond papaw's comment:

"I dont know what you ment by saying about elderberry being dangerous you need to learn what you are talking about before you run your big mouth. Just like gensing it is used for alot of remedies. So get the facts before you run your big mouth."

ABC's is the only comment that speaks of elderberry being dangerous so they was responding to a comment. I know that is above your head. You responded to a post not addressed to you and now you are judging another and lying when you say they responded to a post not addressed to them. Judging another negatively when you are doing the same thing is a hypocrite!

You don't know one damn thing about me other than I have a child in Head Start so you can stop with the b.s. but from your comments it seems you post your b.s on every thread just to spread your ignorance.

If you did know anything you would know I have never been fired from any job. I have had the same job since I graduated college with a degree. I have never worked with children. I have an office job that takes care of me and my CHILD, another lie, you continue to post about. The sites, or any other sites I listed or have been on makes a comparison between elderberry and lima beans. I don't believe any site makes that comparison, except in your mind, where apparently a lot of things happen that has turned you into a hypocrite, as you have proved yourself to be, by this statement alone:

" Or maybe you're the woman that couldn't do her job of supervising kids because she couldn't stay off Topix..."

and a liar, which has been proven repeatedly. Judging someone for posting on Topix when you have over 500 posts on Topix proves you are a hypocrite. I have no clue who you are talking about, or if it is true, considering the source, but I know it is not me. Now that your true colors have been proven, I am done. No need in responding to a liar and a hypocrite any longer.
do unto others wrote:
Well, if you're not the woman that got fired from SAL for falsifying paperwork, I actually did some research.

Level 1

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#36 Oct 16, 2012
I stand by Head Start and would/will fight this issue until the end. If the AMA and NIH don't think it is safe I won't have it around my child. If someone wants to use it in their home, that is their choice and I have no problem with that. I can and will make sure my child is not in that home, however, when it is being brought into our public school system, I will fight to protect my child from being exposed to it. A big part of our job. as parents. is keeping our children safe and that is what, several Head Start parents intend on doing as we will stand together in support of Head Start and their teachers. All that needs to be repeated is this:

"It is listed as a Poisonous Injurious Plant in the American Medical Association's 1985 edition AMA Handbook of Poisonous Plants."

To other Head Start parents that I have spoken with, I am done with this thread. They can post anything they want but they cannot prove this is a safe remedy when the AMA clearly states it is not. I will continue supporting Head Start and their wonderful teachers as we talked about over the past two days. I won't be posting on this thread anymore as it is clearly a waste of time. I have proved my point with FACTS and that was my only intention. Thank you for talking with me about this problem and standing with me in support of Head Start and their teachers, but most of all, thank you to the Head Start teacher that putt a stop to this! Thank you for keeping our children safe!
badmofo

Oak Hill, WV

#37 Oct 16, 2012
richmondgirl wrote:
careful if you use old timey home remodies!! my son wears a elderberry necklace that helps with teething but i was told that he could not wear it there had to be taken off!! this is something that my family has been doing for almost 60 years that i know of maybe even longer. so i took my son out of there cause i feel this is my choice not to take it off its not hurting him or anyone else in any way! just had to get this off my chest that woman pissed me and alot of my family off!!
Wow, elderberries are poisonous if not prepared right! Why in the world would you use that crap. Not to mention a choking hazard. What if another baby somehow grabbed it? I applaud the teachers, common sense prevails!
richmondgirl

Hurricane, WV

#38 Oct 16, 2012
just let me state one thing now it was no teavher it was someone else involved with head start! his direct teacher had no problem with it and told me she agreed with me her kids had elderberry necklaces too when they wrer small!!
richmondgirl

Hurricane, WV

#39 Oct 16, 2012
badmofo wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, elderberries are poisonous if not prepared right! Why in the world would you use that crap. Not to mention a choking hazard. What if another baby somehow grabbed it? I applaud the teachers, common sense prevails!
i thought that is the reason for more than one teacher in the room no other child should be grabbing another anywhere around their neck!

“as you would have others...”

Level 1

Since: Mar 09

United States

#40 Oct 16, 2012
richmondgirl wrote:
i have never worked at SAL nor any child care place so you can "eat your hat"
I was responding to youwish123. She stated my infi wasn't to be believed because I 'turned' her word of "child" to "daughter". I was just letting her know that even though she used the word child, I know she has a daughter there, because I know who she is.
richmondgirl

Hurricane, WV

#41 Oct 16, 2012
oh ok sorry my bad took it the wrong way

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Travis and tracy 5 hr candy cane 12
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 11 hr City of grafton 4,392
News Officer recovering after off duty shooting 13 hr Watching 115
Connie northern 14 hr Shame 3
Anybody know RUMPLEFORESKIN Fri Skanky 1
Hey I'M BACK!!! (Dec '08) Fri Bow wow 55
*Chane 1 Letter* (Nov '12) Fri -Glinda- 2,166

Hinton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hinton Mortgages