Wasting money on Hinsdale police

Wasting money on Hinsdale police

There are 19 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from May 20, 2010, titled Wasting money on Hinsdale police. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

I am writing in response to the letter from Police Chief Chris Powell regarding the police department budget in Hinsdale.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

Hinsdale Resident

Ashburn, VA

#1 May 20, 2010
Cathy Maloney,

I hope that your wishes never come true and that we end up at the mercy of the State Police for protection.

But if that should one day happen, I hope that you are the first in town to have an emergency that requires a Police presence. After you wait for a minimum of 30 minutes for a State Trooper to come from Cheshire, Lee or Russell. Then you can look yourself in the mirror and know that you single handily brought this on yourself.

And may you never know the pain that could ensue from a vital delay in getting assistance, whether it's from a home invasion, a kidnapping, a domestic assault that beats you to within an inch of your life, a major injury to one of your children, a medical emergency strikes a family member. or your involved in a car accident.(The Hinsdale Police Deptarment are the 1st on the scene in all medical and fire calls, and they could provide you with First Aid that could save you or someone you love before an Ambulance or Fire Truck can even roll out of the station!).

You may be willing to put your life on the line, as well as, those that you love and care about, but I'm not.
Citizen

Schenectady, NY

#2 May 20, 2010
It is amazing to me how your tune changes so drastically Cathy the moment that Police budget is no longer paying your bills. Seems to me that this is a personal vendetta against the Hinsdale Police.
Hinsdale Resident

Ashburn, VA

#3 May 20, 2010
Citizen wrote:
It is amazing to me how your tune changes so drastically Cathy the moment that Police budget is no longer paying your bills. Seems to me that this is a personal vendetta against the Hinsdale Police.
Now it's starting to make sense. I didn't realize who, Cathy, was until I read your comment. Your right, her agenda is strictly a personal ventetta against the Police Department.
Poor choices

Easthampton, MA

#4 May 20, 2010
When I consider the history here, I'd say the letter is coming from somebody who knows what she's talking about. She has had a good view of the Hinsdale PD, in good times and bad.

What goes around, comes around.
Lori Madison

Richmond, MA

#5 May 21, 2010
I am a lifelong resident of Hinsdale and I now choose to live here because I love this town. It is the town that I want to raise my child in.

I have had to dial 911 emergency twice while living here. Both times, the first on the scene was Nancy Daniels, of the Hinsdale Police. Nancy immediately made me feel at ease as she took control of the emergency. I knew that a professional was there to help my family. Looking back, many times, I have thanked my lucky stars for her presence.

I can't believe anyone would suggest that we should rely on the State Police to protect our town. That makes no sense to me at all. If you are dialing 911, you are doing it because it is an EMERGENCY requiring immediate assistance. What good will a police officer be to you when he is 45 minutes away?
another hinsdale resident

Chicopee, MA

#6 May 21, 2010
I see them out during the day ALL the time...and take note when they are hanging around the school, when the kids get out. Its comforting to have them there. Thanks to the hinsdale police dept for your work and keep on keepin on.
AMAZING

Leeds, MA

#7 May 22, 2010
another hinsdale resident wrote:
I see them out during the day ALL the time...and take note when they are hanging around the school, when the kids get out. Its comforting to have them there. Thanks to thehinsdale police dept for your work and keep on keepin on.
I beg your pardon. There is no one patroling during the week (Monday thru Friday First Shift). The only place the Hinsdale Police Cruiser is seen during that time is in front of The Town hall or hidden in The rear of The Town Hall or at one of the local restaurants in town at lunchtime or at The Post Office. The only patroling that is done is in The Police Sta. Must be doing reports from all other shifts. I have never seen a cruiser at The School. Why would they need a cruiser at the school??????They have crossing gaurds and teachers there to do the job or are they not during their job?????????? Maybe The Selectmen ought to start during their job and start looking into the Police problem. What about The Town Clerk who is only there a few minutes on Wednesday nights and then leaves for the bi-monthly meeting? She is never there during the day and her asst. is only there an hour. This town really has problems and is wasting money in all areas.Finance Committee...if they don't like you watch out. WE NEED A WHOLE NEW REGiME!
Thinking

Leeds, MA

#8 May 22, 2010
Excellent letter Cathy. Your letter says it all in a nutshell. My thoughts also.
Vote

Easthampton, MA

#9 May 22, 2010
AMAZING wrote:
<quoted text> WE NEED A WHOLE NEW REGiME!
the election was today, was your name on the ballot? Didn't think so. Just another whiner with no meaningful input.
Hinsdale tax payer

Easthampton, MA

#10 May 23, 2010
Great letter Cathy....
Hinsdale tax payer

Easthampton, MA

#11 May 23, 2010
no the police department did not pay her bills this was a part time job for her husband. he has a real job that pays him well enough to support his family....so for you people that do not know the situation or the people involed, keep your comments to yourself. O.K. test for everyone, everytime you drive by the Hinsdale town hall mark down how many times you see the cruiser there. you will be surprised. I live in hinsdale and Cathy is so right....but dont forget to look behind the town hall cause i am sure that is where it will be most of the time now that the word is out....
Curious

Easthampton, MA

#12 May 23, 2010
AMAZING wrote:
<quoted text>I beg your pardon. There is no one patroling during the week (Monday thru Friday First Shift). The only place the Hinsdale Police Cruiser is seen during that time is in front of The Town hall or hidden in The rear of The Town Hall or at one of the local restaurants in town at lunchtime or at The Post Office. The only patroling that is done is in The Police Sta. Must be doing reports from all other shifts. I have never seen a cruiser at The School. Why would they need a cruiser at the school??????They have crossing gaurds and teachers there to do the job or are they not during their job?????????? Maybe The Selectmen ought to start during their job and start looking into the Police problem. What about The Town Clerk who is only there a few minutes on Wednesday nights and then leaves for the bi-monthly meeting? She is never there during the day and her asst. is only there an hour. This town really has problems and is wasting money in all areas.Finance Committee...if they don't like you watch out. WE NEED A WHOLE NEW REGiME!
Wow! You've got all this free time to keep an eye on the Selectmen, Police, Crossing Guards, teachers, Town Clerk, Town Clerk's Assistant, and Finance Committee. Maybe if you have all this free time you ought to step in and straighten things out for the Town of Hinsdale. However before you do that perhaps you should get your facts straight: Finance Committee works long hours for no pay to keep finances on track, Teachers are doing a great job with your children, crossing guards aren't deputized to help with any problems at the school should they arise, police play an integral part in the school and have been there many times to support programs, Selectman Trova is doing a great job trying to get things right, the Town Clerk's position is part time and someone from her office is available whenever anyone needs help(including Saturdays and Sundays), and the Town Clerk's assistant and/or the Town Clerk is there everyday to check messages and return phone calls. Do you really have a clue as to what any of these jobs entail? Do you go to any meetings yourself? Do you even vote? Perhaps you ought to use some of your time to educate yourself about the town or perhaps join the Police Department. It sounds like they could use your investigative skills.
Amazed with Amazing

Huntington, MA

#13 May 23, 2010
AMAZING wrote:
<quoted text>I beg your pardon. There is no one patroling during the week (Monday thru Friday First Shift). The only place the Hinsdale Police Cruiser is seen during that time is in front of The Town hall or hidden in The rear of The Town Hall or at one of the local restaurants in town at lunchtime or at The Post Office. The only patroling that is done is in The Police Sta. Must be doing reports from all other shifts. I have never seen a cruiser at The School. Why would they need a cruiser at the school??????They have crossing gaurds and teachers there to do the job or are they not during their job?????????? Maybe The Selectmen ought to start during their job and start looking into the Police problem. What about The Town Clerk who is only there a few minutes on Wednesday nights and then leaves for the bi-monthly meeting? She is never there during the day and her asst. is only there an hour. This town really has problems and is wasting money in all areas.Finance Committee...if they don't like you watch out. WE NEED A WHOLE NEW REGiME!
I have to ask, what valued purpose in this world are you serving that allows you time to analyze the job description of crossing guards and teachers, the agenda of the Finance Committee, the effectiveness of the Town Clerk, Town Clerk's assistant, Selectmen, and the whereabouts of a police cruiser during lunchtime, after school,and postal operating hours? You're so busy, you couldn't even be bothered to get your facts straight.
P.S... You spelled patrolling, doing, and guards wrong. Your attention to detail clearly reflects the validity of your statements.
andy

Otis, MA

#14 May 25, 2010
Lori Madison wrote:
I am a lifelong resident of Hinsdale and I now choose to live here because I love this town. It is the town that I want to raise my child in.
I have had to dial 911 emergency twice while living here. Both times, the first on the scene was Nancy Daniels, of the Hinsdale Police. Nancy immediately made me feel at ease as she took control of the emergency. I knew that a professional was there to help my family. Looking back, many times, I have thanked my lucky stars for her presence.
I can't believe anyone would suggest that we should rely on the State Police to protect our town. That makes no sense to me at all. If you are dialing 911, you are doing it because it is an EMERGENCY requiring immediate assistance. What good will a police officer be to you when he is 45 minutes away?
a call,thats doing a pro job;but what about no calls;this town needs to clean house;of course a call;and thats good;but too many bullets dodged;its time for everones tax dollar to go in good use.
Lori Madison

Northampton, MA

#15 May 25, 2010
andy wrote:
<quoted text>a call,thats doing a pro job;but what about no calls;this town needs to clean house;of course a call;and thats good;but too many bullets dodged;its time for everones tax dollar to go in good use.
If you phrased your statement in proper english I may know what you are actually trying to say and respond to question or comment....
wondering

Springfield, MA

#16 May 25, 2010
Lori Madison wrote:
<quoted text>
If you phrased your statement in proper english I may know what you are actually trying to say and respond to question or comment....
are you the lori madison who used to have a roomate named bridget quinn back in the day?
Lori Madison

Northampton, MA

#17 May 25, 2010
I am...
andy

Otis, MA

#18 May 26, 2010
Lori Madison wrote:
I am...
wow E HARMONY.good luck;and i love my grammar.

Since: Jun 10

Easthampton, MA

#20 Jun 16, 2010
Now "THEY" are having another vote to overturn the original vote!
So I guess if you don't like the way it went the first time just keep trying till it goes the way you want it to?
The voters of Hinsdale spoke once and it should stand.
What happens next? If the vote goes the same way again are we going to just keep on going until it goes the way "THEY" want it to go?
Give us a break!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clinton Decimated Trump 12 min Cops are degenerates 23
News Ex-chief Buffis pleads not guilty in federal court (Aug '13) 57 min Lets end corruption 42
News New Middle East Refugee Plan Outlined to Overfl... 8 hr Anti White Racists 39
News Cherry Street movies a big hit (Jul '09) Fri Get Smart 27
Braintree Deputy police chief placed on leave o... Sep 28 cops are degener... 6
News Pittsfield: Police Officers Union conducting fu... Sep 28 cops are degener... 1
News Hinsdale couple charged with selling heroin tha... Sep 20 Cops are degenerates 8

Hinsdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hinsdale Mortgages