Oro Grande park dismantled

Oro Grande park dismantled

There are 28 comments on the Victorville Daily Press story from Apr 3, 2007, titled Oro Grande park dismantled. In it, Victorville Daily Press reports that:

“It's hard saying goodbye to one of the nicest parks in the whole High Desert”

A piece of Oro Grande history was altered Monday when bulldozers began dismantling parts of Griffith Henshaw Memorial Park that was built in 1961. via Victorville Daily Press

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Victorville Daily Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
roger

Victorville, CA

#21 Nov 22, 2012
wow people getting upset because of the fact that this was a nice park and the many memories left there.. we know somebody died and we truly feel sorry for the lost but nobody should get offended when responds for how beautifull the park was or how sad that it has been destroyed...
Brad

Troy, MI

#22 Feb 18, 2013
As a parent, I know that I would be extremely vigilant while letting my kids play in a park like this. These were not fool-proof play structures, and I distinctly remember getting a small gash on my hip from a jagged piece of metal while crawling on the locomotive.

It's just a shame that a better solution couldn't have been found than to tear down a park which symbolized so many things- America's military history, the free-form art of the 60's, etc. Today's play areas are so generic and boring by comparison.

I was fortunate to visit the park when it was intact in 1991 and take some video. By the time I again stopped by in 1998 the torches were there cutting up the structures. I hope to soon put up my videos on YouTube.
Brad

Westlake, OH

#23 Feb 20, 2013
I've just uploaded my video,(shot in 1991) on Youtube, but I don't think Topix will let me post the URL here. If you search Youtube for Griffith Henshaw Park or Oro Grande my video should pop up.

Feel free to comment there with your own recollections!
Pnkstrzgrl

Victorville, CA

#24 Dec 9, 2014
Brad wrote:
I've just uploaded my video,(shot in 1991) on Youtube, but I don't think Topix will let me post the URL here. If you search Youtube for Griffith Henshaw Park or Oro Grande my video should pop up.
Feel free to comment there with your own recollections!
Couldn't find your video.... Is it still up? What's you YouTube user name?
John rose archer

Saco, ME

#25 Jan 8, 2015
We used to put a trash can behind the jet and climb in the fuselage, it looked a little different when I was a kid. What a great place, my family went here for years, we used to stop anytime we were going between victorville and Barstow, it never lost its magic,even as I got older. Its sad,but this park was built for a different time,its best that it is gone, and exists in the memories of people from a different time. Maybe people don't deserve a place like this now.
Brad

Royal Oak, MI

#26 Mar 8, 2015
Just found a link to some pictures from the park, probably early in its history, since some items are present in pictures that I don't remember.

http://imgur.com/gallery/EiTe8
Brad

Royal Oak, MI

#27 Mar 8, 2015
Pnkstrzgrl wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. For the last 2 years I've been angry at the changes Google made to YouTube, and I shut down my videos. Here is a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/edit...
Brad

Royal Oak, MI

#28 Mar 8, 2015
Pnkstrzgrl wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry again. Posted an edit link the first time! Try this one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinkley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
i need help Jul 27 sammy 1
hmm Jul 26 bigD 1
man committing fraud claims to be from Barstow, CA (Nov '14) Jul 10 scamstopper 2
News Charges filed in Victorville teen slaying (Jul '09) Jun '15 Anonymous 33
Barstow Police are racist May '15 tracy ladd 3
Barstow police wrestled a pregnant woman to the... May '15 tracy ladd 1
News Barstow Police Department Responds To Story Abo... May '15 Go Blue Forever 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hinkley Mortgages