Who do you support for State Superintendent of Schools in Georgia in 2010?

Posted in the Hinesville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
shoe

Douglasville, GA

#1 Oct 15, 2010
Kira without any doubt or hesitation.
LP of DC

Douglasville, GA

#2 Oct 16, 2010
Kira Willis is the best.
John Doe

Navarre, FL

#3 Oct 16, 2010
Whoever wins needs to change the math curriculum for Ga.
jojo 12

Dalton, GA

#4 Oct 16, 2010
Who is running?
ChaCha

Douglasville, GA

#5 Oct 16, 2010
jojo 12 wrote:
Who is running?
John Barge R
Joe Martin D
Kira Willis L
jojo 12

Dalton, GA

#6 Oct 16, 2010
Teacher

Calhoun, GA

#7 Oct 16, 2010
I support Dr. John Barge. He has the experience and common sense approach that GA needs. He has high moral and ethical standards and understands GA's strengths and weaknesses.
Voter

Villa Rica, GA

#8 Oct 16, 2010
I went to a debate a few days ago. I really didn't know much about any of the candidates going into the debate. Here were my general perceptions of each of the candidates:

* Kira Willis is clearly passionate and probably a stellar teacher. She seems reform minded and not prone to accepting the status quo. She did not interview well though. She did not have many specific or even practical solutions to get her to the place she envisions. She struck me as someone a bit out of her league jumping straight from the classroom to State Supt. She doesn't even have a leadership perspective to draw from, much less a disrict level perspective, and this was very evident in her responses. I did like her an awful lot, but I don't think I'd be confident in her ability to do the job given her lack of experience.

* John Barge seemed knowledgeable about the scope of the job an has a background in both school level and district level administration. He had an almost laser like understanding of the classroom experience and what is inhibiting teachers from staying in public education and finding success. He appeared to be someone who would be a consensus builder and able to work with many types of individuals to accomplish things (unlike Cathy Cox who was at constant odds with the Governor and others).

* Joe Martin seemed by far to be the most experienced and knowledgeable. His responses to the questions were both thoughtful and well reasoned. He seemed to have a broader perspective than the other 2 candidates about education policy as a whole. The only thing is that his demeanor is a real put off. He was pushy and almost rude throughout - both to the moderator and to the audience. My thought was that he would very easily step into some political muck with his personality and not be able to accomplish some of the great things he had on his agenda. Unfortunately, the State Supt. role requires quite a bit of politicking, so that worried me.

I suppose on the whole I liked John Barge best (but if I could have Barge's personality with Martin's skillset, that's be perfect.) Still more research to do, but that's my initial thoughts.
jojo 12

Dalton, GA

#9 Oct 16, 2010
voter you are looking good in my opinion.
When you do more research show me where to look.
Voter

Villa Rica, GA

#10 Oct 16, 2010
Thanks. Will do. You share as well if you learn anything interesting.
Parent

Jesup, GA

#12 Oct 17, 2010
Joe Martin is just who Georgia needs. He understands the issues and is the only candidate with the experience in regards to school finance that can solve the funding problems that school districts across the state are experiencing. I believe that he will stand up for GA Schools. I will vote for Joe Martin.
Mac and cheese

United States

#13 Oct 17, 2010
whoever the republican is, thats who is getting my vote.
Voter

Villa Rica, GA

#14 Oct 17, 2010
Parent wrote:
Joe Martin is just who Georgia needs. He understands the issues and is the only candidate with the experience in regards to school finance that can solve the funding problems that school districts across the state are experiencing. I believe that he will stand up for GA Schools. I will vote for Joe Martin.
With all due respect, I believe Mr. Martin helped create the current funding formula the state uses for schools, which has many, many issues. Do you believe he'll address the formula or are you referring to general funding problems? The legislature sets the budget for education, so how do you think he'll solve the issue with funding? I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with you, merely wondering about your perspective.
Huh

Lovejoy, GA

#15 Oct 17, 2010
Why would you say Joe Martin has a better skill set? I am concerned that he took 4 dollars a head from students in 50 school districts for a illegal lawsuit and paid him self $76,000 in one year alone! That is not leadership skills, just a scam which cost schools over 2 million dollars
Voter

Villa Rica, GA

#16 Oct 17, 2010
I meant that his background and experience better matched the requirements of the job.

I am not aware of what you are referring to - can you please explain?

Since: Oct 10

Dallas, GA

#17 Oct 19, 2010
I like her experience, & I like her HOPE reimbursement plan.

Since: Oct 10

Cumming, GA

#18 Oct 19, 2010
Of course, Barge is the better candidate.
Is there an office anywhere that Joe Martin has not run for and lost - big? He will lose then one - big - and immediately start looking for a new one in two years. What an opportunist!
Tim M

Atlanta, GA

#19 Oct 19, 2010
Kira is the obvious choice. Vote your convictions people!
Barbara Lyon

Hogansville, GA

#20 Oct 20, 2010
Less money going to positions with no contact with students; more money getting into the classrooms.
Huh

Lovejoy, GA

#21 Oct 20, 2010
Joe Martin made 4 dollars off each student who was in a school system which joined the consortium's lawsuit to redo the funding formula. check it out on the internet. This is 100% factual. the man just does not need to be the leader of a school system. Time for him to enjoy his retirement and stop making money off kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for male CKC German Shepherd to breed w... Dec 10 redheadredneck1990 1
Zaxyby's Dec 9 Curious 1
STC Names Semi-Finalists in Student Competition Dec 3 Bob Jenkins 1
Best internet provider Nov '14 JessicAb 1
Missing dog Nov '14 Josh Roberson 2
About 200 Fort Stewart soldiers heading to Afgh... Oct '14 Gro 1
The Billy Crowder Case (Mar '12) Oct '14 joey88 91
Hinesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web