Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
The WB

Warner Robins, GA

#13325 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah.... Folks
Thank you for joining our tour.
Today, we'll be observing the The Right Wing Wacko, a species destined to extinction because they were never able to modify their beliefs or behavior, regardless of how obviously incorrect such beliefs were, or how self-defeating their conduct proves to be.
If only you had stayed awake in microeconomics and macroeconomics, and successfully operated a business, you'd have discovered one primary rule of business:
Businesses maximize profits by charging the price that results in the greatest revenue, while paying the least amount possible for any and all costs, labor being one of those costs.
Prices are not established to "cover costs". Never have been, never will be. Prices are set to maximize revenue. Always have been, always wi be.
That's called capitalism.
That wasn't so difficult to grasp, was it ?
Since you apparently rode the short bus to school, let me give you a few more examples. Maybe the sheer weight if reality will penetrate that Right Wing Wacko rust, and those neurons will start to fire.
Maybe a Right Winger will understand this example.
I was recently at a gun show, where I purchased a Colt AR-15 as a gift for a friend from several of us who admire him a great deal.
We paid almost $800 more for the AR-15, than I paid for the last Colt AR-15 I purchased, even though my Colt AR-15 was manufactured at the same time, in the same plant, by the same company.
The difference in price, therefore, could not possibly have anything to do with labor costs.
Why did the gun dealer charge nearly double the price for a duplicate AR-15, than he charges me for the one I previously bought, when there could not have possibly been any difference in labor costs ?
Because they can.
That's called maximizing revenue.
One more for our "Slow Learner" ;
An associate and I must visit the West Coast of Costa Rica in a few weeks. The labor costs in Costa Rica are 1/3 the labor costs in Chicago, yet we'll be paying more per night for the same quality hotel room as a Michigan Avenue hotel owned by the same corporation.
Why do they charge more for a room on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, even though their labor costs are 1/3 what they are in Chicago ?
Because they can.
That's called maximizing profit.
That's called capitalism.
Let me know if you still don't understand. We'll keep trying, I bet you can get it sooner or later.
Supply and demand. A concept that used to be taught in grade school. You must have been absent that day.
ChicknButt

Douglasville, GA

#13326 May 27, 2013
The WB wrote:
<quoted text>
Supply and demand. A concept that used to be taught in grade school. You must have been absent that day.
For some of us, our educations extended beyond grade-school.
golf trip

Cleveland, GA

#13327 May 27, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
"The higher pay of union jobs represents nothing more than an unfair tax on consumers."
Interesting no one has been able to debate or refute the above comment nor others ones by Mr. Conard.
Also interesting that the clueless and uneducated wouldn't look at it and say union members should take "less" to benefit everyone. Nope, the rich should pay more in taxes
Hypocrisy?
Hypocrisy, that's your middle name. If I recall correctly you have bragged many times about being in management in the health care business, I believe at a hospital. While you are off on your golf trip to Vegas many hard working people are still paying after many years for that 3 day stay in your hospital. A place where competition you also believe to be a foundation of our country is nonexistent. A place where shopping for the best deal is just not allowed, they say its not possible. A place where management pays 50 thousand dollars for a bed. Or 1 million for a scanner you can get for 20 thousand if you are working in the auto industry. Reason is management has no reason to control costs, its a pass along business like our local power company. The clueless and uneducated you so loath look at the bill from their local hospital and wonder why they just can't take less for the good of all. They don't call it an unfair tax on consumers, they call it extreme greed to the extent it borders on being robbery.
I hope you are enjoying your early retirement and all the perks that came with the job. I hope just once in a while you think to yourself, I should have done more to help the common man instead of just myself. But we all know that never happened. Cross the border and the same procedures cost less so costs can be reduced. But people like you truly believe you are superior and are only interested in that golf trip

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#13328 May 27, 2013
golf trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Hypocrisy, that's your middle name. If I recall correctly you have bragged many times about being in management in the health care business, I believe at a hospital. While you are off on your golf trip to Vegas many hard working people are still paying after many years for that 3 day stay in your hospital. A place where competition you also believe to be a foundation of our country is nonexistent. A place where shopping for the best deal is just not allowed, they say its not possible. A place where management pays 50 thousand dollars for a bed. Or 1 million for a scanner you can get for 20 thousand if you are working in the auto industry. Reason is management has no reason to control costs, its a pass along business like our local power company. The clueless and uneducated you so loath look at the bill from their local hospital and wonder why they just can't take less for the good of all. They don't call it an unfair tax on consumers, they call it extreme greed to the extent it borders on being robbery.
I hope you are enjoying your early retirement and all the perks that came with the job. I hope just once in a while you think to yourself, I should have done more to help the common man instead of just myself. But we all know that never happened. Cross the border and the same procedures cost less so costs can be reduced. But people like you truly believe you are superior and are only interested in that golf trip
Bill can do a much better job with this, but I do have a question:

"Or 1 million for a scanner you can get for 20 thousand if you are working in the auto industry."

I am not saying that a piece of "scanning" equipment that is used in both hospitals and in the auto industry does not exist, but would you please identify it? I am curious as to what it is. If this is from an article about hospital costs, I would be interested in reading it.

And on a completely different tangent:
"Reason is management has no reason to control costs, its a pass along business like our local power company."
There are only two reasons for a statement this broad: sloppiness or complete ignorance. Management that does not control costs will not be management for long.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13329 May 27, 2013
golf trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Response Part 1:

LMAO, you are so clueless and uneducated in SO many ways...You should have had your Wheaties before posting...

"If I recall correctly you have bragged many times about being in management in the health care business, I believe at a hospital."

I haven't worked in a hospital in around 18 years.

I AM proud of what my employers have accomplished. Several of our "early" employees at the last company made into 7 figures in stock/option payouts. EVERY employee at that company had option they made a profit on. Our original investors had over a 40x return on their investments. YEP, I am PROUD.

"While you are off on your golf trip to Vegas"

Your "cheap shot" anger about me enjoying I trip I've earned is duly noted. Grow up.

"A place where competition you also believe to be a foundation of our country is nonexistent."

If you don't believe there's competition between hospitals, you're not worth the time or effort to have a "conversation" with. Likely the only hospital not competing for business is Grady in downtown Atlanta, but (assuming you know how to operate a radio and/or TV) there seems to be a lot of ads for them in the Atlanta area media.

If hospitals don't get patients and make money (a pretty damn good reason to contain costs, one with any common sense would think), they will be out of business or have to severely reduce services.

"A place where shopping for the best deal is just not allowed, they say its not possible."

If a woman wanted a boob job (or another fairly "simple" elective procedure not covered by insurance), they can shop around can't they? Heard any ads for Lasik or any other eye procedures lately?

"A place where management pays 50 thousand dollars for a bed."

I don't recall hospital beds costing that much, but they're used for many years. Perhaps you could research and provide a link showing the cost of a hospital bed (not all the electronic attachments) rather than picking a number out of your clueless butt...

"Or 1 million for a scanner you can get for 20 thousand if you are working in the auto industry."

Oh, really? Perhaps you could provide the name of said scanner that can be acquired by the auto industry.

"Reason is management has no reason to control costs, its a pass along business like our local power company."

That likely will be the most clueless and uneducated statement made in this thread for a LONG time.

Saving or reducing costs helps increase the bottom line (profit). Do you know what that is? If companies (including health care facilities) don’t make money, they go out of business.

“its a pass along business”

Really? Perhaps you could learn how Medicare pays for inpatient stays (I believe still on the DRG basis, meaning a fixed amount, regardless of the cost, unless it's an "outlier" case, which would be way too hard to explain to you). Most Medicaid plans pay a fixed amount per day, regardless of what it costs. Checked on managed care rates lately? Probably not. Looked at an EOB lately to see what's billed and what the ultimate payment to the provider is? You REALLY should know what you're talking about before spouting off.

A long time ago, Medicare and most Blue Cross plans were "cost based", meaning those programs paid their share of costs based on certain calculations. It changed in the 80s. Perhaps your logic and knowledge are still back in that time frame.

If a hospital (and other health care providers) doesn’t contain costs where it can, LIKE ANY OTHER BUSINESS, it will suffer the consequences, including bankruptcy.

“I hope you are enjoying your early retirement and all the perks that came with the job.”

I am. Thank you. I’m very fortunate to be in the situation I am, but I worked my ass of for it, too. You could do the same, too. Why don't you?
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13330 May 27, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>lol SO! You have yours, so screw everyone else. Just like a union thug.

I've no financial worries AND I didn't need a bullying, hostage holding union in order to achieve it.
Nope, you just needed to screw your employees out of a living wage, pensions, and benefits.

Hey, don't forget, there is stilly prison labor and child labor available in China.
It's not to late to screw them too.

Like Warren Buffet, the Billionaire investor said: There is a war between the Rich and the Middle Class, and we're winning.

But, don't worry, the little people exist to be used by you, for your personal aggrandizement.

Like John D. Rockefeller said: The American people want to be ruled by a privileged elite. If they didn't, they'd stop us.

Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13331 May 27, 2013
The WB wrote:
<quoted text>Supply and demand. A concept that used to be taught in grade school. You must have been absent that day.
Obviously then,

you now agree that supply and demand determine price points,
not costs of production,(including labor, materials, marketing, and administration).

We acknowledge you finally agree that I was correct all along.

Thank you.
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13332 May 27, 2013
Just returned from Memorial Day services.

Happy Memorial Day

Semper Fi

Location hidden

#13333 May 27, 2013
Response Part 2:

“I hope just once in a while you think to yourself, I should have done more to help the common man instead of just myself. But we all know that never happened.”

Are you another one of the omnipotent ones in here? You know what someone thinks and does or has done? Wow, I’m impressed.

If you want to compare contributions and time spent volunteering, very likely you’d come up short. Not surprised, but it’s quite easy for someone to whine or accuse someone of something on an anonymous board. Doesn’t make it true, though.

BTW, what have YOU done for your fellow man, other than whine quite a bit?

“Cross the border and the same procedures cost less so costs can be reduced.”

And? I didn’t create the US healthcare system. Your hero is further ruining it, many experts say. What have YOU done to change the healthcare system?

Another BTW, you can cross the border, it might be cheaper to get your head removed from your butt there…

Location hidden

#13334 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
Happy Memorial Day
Semper Fi
+1

FINALLY, something we can all agree with!
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13335 May 27, 2013
STANFORD, Calif.

... But the greatest challenge to our military is not from a foreign enemy — it’s the widening gap between the American people and their armed forces.

Three developments in recent decades have widened this chasm.

First and most basic was the decision in 1973, at the end of combat operations in Vietnam, to depart from the tradition of the citizen-soldier by ending conscription and establishing a large, professional, all-volunteer force to maintain the global commitments we have assumed since World War II.

... For nearly two generations, no American has been obligated to join up, and few do.

Less than 0.5 percent of the population serves in the armed forces, compared with more than 12 percent during World War II.

Even fewer of the privileged and powerful shoulder arms. In 1975, 70 percent of members of Congress had some military service; today, just 20 percent do, and only a handful of their children are in uniform.

In sharp contrast, so many officers have sons and daughters serving that they speak, with pride and anxiety, about war as a “family business.”

Here are the makings of a self-perpetuating military caste, sharply segregated from the larger society and with its enlisted ranks disproportionately recruited from the disadvantaged. History suggests that such scenarios don’t end well.

.... The advent of remotely piloted aircraft is one logical outcome. Reliance on drones economizes on both manpower and money, but is fraught with moral and legal complexities, as Mr. Obama acknowledged last week, in shifting responsibility for the drone program to the military from the C.I.A.

Third, and perhaps most troubling, the military’s role has expanded far beyond the traditional battlefield. In Iraq and Afghanistan, commanders orchestrated, alongside their combat missions,“nation-building” initiatives like infrastructure projects and promotion of the rule of law and of women’s rights.

The potential for conflict in cyberspace, where military and civilian collaboration is essential, makes a further blurring of missions likely.

Together, these developments present a disturbingly novel spectacle: a maximally powerful force operating with a minimum of citizen engagement and comprehension.

Technology and popular culture have intersected to perverse effect.

While Vietnam brought home the wrenching realities of war via television, today’s wars make extensive use of computers and robots, giving some civilians the decidedly false impression that the grind and horror of combat are things of the past.

The media offer us images of drone pilots, thousands of miles from the fray, coolly and safely dispatching enemies in their electronic cross hairs. Hollywood depicts superhuman teams of Special Operations forces snuffing out their adversaries with clinical precision.

The Congressional Research Service has documented 144 military deployments in the 40 years since adoption of the all-voluntary force in 1973, compared with 19 in the 27-year period of the Selective Service draft following World War II — an increase in reliance on military force traceable in no small part to the distance that has come to separate the civil and military sectors.

....THE all-volunteer force may be the most lethal and professional force in history, but it makes a mockery of George Washington’s maxim:“When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen.” Somehow, soldier and citizen must once again be brought to stand side by side.

.... Congress should also insist that wars be paid for in real time. Levying special taxes, rather than borrowing, to finance “special appropriations” would compel the body politic to bear the fiscal burden — and encourage citizens to consider war-making a political choice they were involved in, not a fait accompli they must accept.

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#13336 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Nope, you just needed to screw your employees out of a living wage, pensions, and benefits.
Hey, don't forget, there is stilly prison labor and child labor available in China.
It's not to late to screw them too.
2. Like Warren Buffet, the Billionaire investor said: There is a war between the Rich and the Middle Class, and we're winning.
3.But, don't worry, the little people exist to be used by you, for your personal aggrandizement.
Like John D. Rockefeller said: The American people want to be ruled by a privileged elite. If they didn't, they'd stop us.
1. lol How do you know that? Are you saying if a union isn't involved, all the workers are being screwed? I forgot to mention that union thugs have a very narrow view of the working world. You've bragged about enjoying what you have worked for. So! Those who haven't belonged to a union can't be proud of their own accomplishments? Oh! Double standad card.

2. Buffet is a baffoon. A rich one, but a lying baffoon. His whole misleading income tax statement kind of shut down my paying any attention to him. Now! If he were to do the HONEST and NOBLE thing and figure out how much in back taxes he should pay, then I would give him his cred back.

3. You DO know there are "little people" who don't follow your extreme left wing looney OPINION, don't you?

Location hidden

#13337 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
STANFORD, Calif.
... But the greatest challenge to our military is not from a foreign enemy — it’s the widening gap between the American people and their armed forces.
Three developments in recent decades have widened this chasm.
First and most basic was the decision in 1973, at the end of combat operations in Vietnam, to depart from the tradition of the citizen-soldier by ending conscription and establishing a large, professional, all-volunteer force to maintain the global commitments we have assumed since World War II.
Even fewer of the privileged and powerful shoulder arms. In 1975, 70 percent of members of Congress had some military service; today, just 20 percent do, and only a handful of their children are in uniform.
In sharp contrast, so many officers have sons and daughters serving that they speak, with pride and anxiety, about war as a “family business.”
Here are the makings of a self-perpetuating military caste, sharply segregated from the larger society and with its enlisted ranks disproportionately recruited from the disadvantaged. History suggests that such scenarios don’t end well.
.... The advent of remotely piloted aircraft is one logical outcome. Reliance on drones economizes on both manpower and money, but is fraught with moral and legal complexities, as Mr. Obama acknowledged last week, in shifting responsibility for the drone program to the military from the C.I.A.
Third, and perhaps most troubling, the military’s role has expanded far beyond the traditional battlefield. In Iraq and Afghanistan, commanders orchestrated, alongside their combat missions,“nation-building” initiatives like infrastructure projects and promotion of the rule of law and of women’s rights.
The potential for conflict in cyberspace, where military and civilian collaboration is essential, makes a further blurring of missions likely.
Together, these developments present a disturbingly novel spectacle: a maximally powerful force operating with a minimum of citizen engagement and comprehension.
Technology and popular culture have intersected to perverse effect.
While Vietnam brought home the wrenching realities of war via television, today’s wars make extensive use of computers and robots, giving some civilians the decidedly false impression that the grind and horror of combat are things of the past.
The media offer us images of drone pilots, thousands of miles from the fray, coolly and safely dispatching enemies in their electronic cross hairs. Hollywood depicts superhuman teams of Special Operations forces snuffing out their adversaries with clinical precision.
The Congressional Research Service has documented 144 military deployments in the 40 years since adoption of the all-voluntary force in 1973, compared with 19 in the 27-year period of the Selective Service draft following World War II — an increase in reliance on military force traceable in no small part to the distance that has come to separate the civil and military sectors.
....THE all-volunteer force may be the most lethal and professional force in history, but it makes a mockery of George Washington’s maxim:“When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen.” Somehow, soldier and citizen must once again be brought to stand side by side.
.... Congress should also insist that wars be paid for in real time. Levying special taxes, rather than borrowing, to finance “special appropriations” would compel the body politic to bear the fiscal burden — and encourage citizens to consider war-making a political choice they were involved in, not a fait accompli they must accept.
Snooze. Here is a NOVEL idea. Why don't you make it a Memorial Day resolution NOT to cut and paste loooooooonnnnng AGONIZING posts? Can I hear a big AMEN to that??????????

Location hidden

#13338 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
Happy Memorial Day
Semper Fi
+1 Right back at 'cha.

Location hidden

#13339 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed that, absent unions, American Workers are nothing but "Human Resources" a/k/a Serfs.
Agreed that, absent unions, the Middle Class and Americans' quality of life will continue to deteriorate.
Agreed that, as long as Right Wing Wackos are able to convince significant numbers of Americans that their only tried and true mechanism to maintain the Middle Class and a decent quality of life, i.e., unions, are "bad", America will continue to decline toward even more "Banana Republic" status.
But hey, I've got my pensions, the kids' educations are all prepaid, trusts are in place to assure graduate degrees are available, but if your want your kids to be serfs, good for you.
Just curious. What percentage of the population of this country belongs to a union?
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13340 May 27, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>Just curious. What percentage of the population of this country belongs to a union?
I bet the same percentage of working people that gets paid nice wages enjoys sufficient to send their kids to good colleges, lifelong employer funded pensions, great health insurance, and nice 3-4 week paid vacations.

What do you think.

Location hidden

#13341 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet the same percentage of working people that gets paid nice wages enjoys sufficient to send their kids to good colleges, lifelong employer funded pensions, great health insurance, and nice 3-4 week paid vacations.
What do you think.
Well, you've made some very inflamatory remarks about those who don't belong to a union. With your vast knowledge of all things union, I would expect you to know what percentage of the people of the U.S. who are of working age actually belong to a union. Otherwise, using your definition, ALL the rest of us are scabs. Right? So, what is the percentage of U.S. people in the U.S. of workng age are(take your choice: 1. union members?
2. scabs?
*Remember: you stated that anyone and everyone can belong to a union. For SOME reason, we don't.
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13342 May 27, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>Well, you've made some very inflamatory remarks about those who don't belong to a union. With your vast knowledge of all things union, I would expect you to know what percentage of the people of the U.S. who are of working age actually belong to a union. Otherwise, using your definition, ALL the rest of us are scabs. Right? So, what is the percentage of U.S. people in the U.S. of workng age are(take your choice: 1. union members?
2. scabs?
*Remember: you stated that anyone and everyone can belong to a union. For SOME reason, we don't.
I love Right Wingers.

Since we have you on record saying some very inflammatory things - like anyone with white hair is a commie who smokes dope and engages in sexual adventures with gerbils, maybe you want to try to explain how you can claim to be pro -American.

Nice try on the spin.

Having anti-union arguments actually challenged has that effect.

Once the facts are established that demonstrate that without unions, the average American is screwed,(that's a highly technical term used in macroeconomics), the attacks have to move to tangential and imaginary issues.

Nope, I said anyone who receives the benefits of a union and doesn't contribute to the cause is a scab.

This is especially true for anyone who has a union readily available to them where they work and enjoys the benefits, without joining and supporting the union that creates those benefits. That person is a scab.

Right to Starve states are loaded with these scabs. They're like Uncle Joe, who, just before the check arrives when the family is dining out, always has to go the bathroom, then is surprised the bill ended up on your credit card.

If you enjoyed the benefits unions brought to the working man, and now attack unions - you're an extraordinarily hypocritical scab. Those are the folks who enjoy the 40 hour work week, the vacation time, the sick days, the safe working conditions, the FMLA, etc. then tell us all how unions are all greedy.

But if you're part of a work force of two 68 year old semi- retired, part-time Christmas tree "tie uppers", for the local Lutheran church, who use the sale of donated trees to fund the church groups annual trip to Young Harris College Observatory, obviously you're not a scab - unless of course when you cash your Social Security check - you bitch about how bad unions are.

I'll take the most recent criticism as proof we have all agreed unions are a necessary thing to create and maintain the Middle Class.

If you want a union - just contact the Teamsters, or the the Service Employees International Union. Both will help you form a local - or refer you to a union that covers your industry.
Touche blutoski

Hendersonville, TN

#13343 May 27, 2013
http://dcavelaw.com/ http://www.greenevillesun.com/Local_News/arti...
WhereOhWhere wrote:
We need new blood in the U.S. Senate. A 'NO' man won't get anything done, and and new man may as well be an Independent so he might vote his conscience.
no way

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#13344 May 27, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you've made some very inflamatory remarks about those who don't belong to a union. With your vast knowledge of all things union, I would expect you to know what percentage of the people of the U.S. who are of working age actually belong to a union. Otherwise, using your definition, ALL the rest of us are scabs. Right? So, what is the percentage of U.S. people in the U.S. of workng age are(take your choice: 1. union members?
2. scabs?
Hi, Syn,
Well, I see that IO completely ignored your question and then accused YOU of "spinning" the subject - projection much??? But yeah, I guess according to his myopic vision, 88% percent of the workers of this country are "scabs" -(hate writing that ugly and ignorant word). Hope your weekend was a good one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Billy Crowder Case (Mar '12) Nov 12 JoJo 132
News Is the Muscogee School Board really a a hostile... Oct '16 Greg Ellington 1
Deadbeat Mother Sep '16 Fed up 1
Good/Bad areas in Hinesville (Sep '09) Apr '16 Ceci 11
Debate: Marijuana - Hinesville, GA (Sep '10) Apr '16 Waggey 50
where's all the weed at? (Jan '14) Apr '16 Waggey 14
News TRAILER: First look at Savannah-filmed slave dr... (Apr '16) Apr '16 al3abmix 1

Hinesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hinesville Mortgages