North Fort Myers, FL

#13282 May 25, 2013
Just two more :

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism

by Naomi Klein

and

"Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us

Michael Moss

Thought over a long weekend folks might want to sit on the porch, and/or turn on a golf tournament if a ball game, have an Arnold Palmer, put their feet up, and read an interesting book.

Off to the local Military Museum with some neighborhood kids for a program.
jeb stuart

Cordele, GA

#13285 May 25, 2013
Laughing at U wrote:
<quoted text>
Bet it had something in there about the ironclad ship battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac... as the revisionist Yankees have portrayed it in history.
The actual name of the Confederate ship was the C.S.S. Virginia. It is true that the C.S.S. Virginia was built on the salvaged hull of the North's Merrimac after it was scuttled as the Confederates took over Hampton Roads. However, it was drastically rebuilt and armored with iron low to the water line with angled sides. The rebuilt ship bore no resemblance to the original steam frigate.
The ironclad C.S.S. Virginia was extremely successful at damaging and sinking traditional Yankee sailing ships, as it could sail up broadsides to the enemy ship and fire away with canon. As the C.S.S. Virginia sat so low on the water line, the sailing ships could not effectively fire their volleys at the ironclad. Those canon balls that did hit the ship often hit the angled iron cladding and was repelled - sometimes directly back on the offending ship.
The C.S.S. Virginia and the North's U.S.S. Monitor - another ironclad with was also low to the waterline and had a flat deck and rotating turret - but neither ship could claim a definitive battle.
History's telling of the story as the Merrimac instead of the C.S.S. Virginia is considered by many an affront to actual history and a slap at the Confederacy.
good post,and I agree 100%.i think it is just case of the spoils going to the victors.while much is made of the Monitors' rotating turret(which was a unique innovation),it is never even mentioned that the Virginia had a unique innovation of its' own.that was sloped armor.i don't think this was re-invented until ww2 when the Russians used it on their T-34 tank(with American help).
ChicknButt

Douglasville, GA

#13287 May 25, 2013
OMTE wrote:
Syn was that your crazy butt they had to drag out for interrupting the President during his speech? They should have tazed you.
LOL! I thought exactly the same thing when I saw that!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#13289 May 25, 2013
ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try, but she is all y'all's, she is one of the Code Pink harpies.

Location hidden

#13292 May 25, 2013
OMTE wrote:
<quoted text> It's free is code for you suck.
ur a punk, tuff dude.
Informed Opinion

North Fort Myers, FL

#13294 May 25, 2013
Laughing at U wrote:
<quoted text>Bet it had something in there about the ironclad ship battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac... as the revisionist Yankees have portrayed it in history.

The actual name of the Confederate ship was the C.S.S. Virginia. It is true that the C.S.S. Virginia was built on the salvaged hull of the North's Merrimac after it was scuttled as the Confederates took over Hampton Roads. However, it was drastically rebuilt and armored with iron low to the water line with angled sides. The rebuilt ship bore no resemblance to the original steam frigate.

The ironclad C.S.S. Virginia was extremely successful at damaging and sinking traditional Yankee sailing ships, as it could sail up broadsides to the enemy ship and fire away with canon. As the C.S.S. Virginia sat so low on the water line, the sailing ships could not effectively fire their volleys at the ironclad. Those canon balls that did hit the ship often hit the angled iron cladding and was repelled - sometimes directly back on the offending ship.

The C.S.S. Virginia and the North's U.S.S. Monitor - another ironclad with was also low to the waterline and had a flat deck and rotating turret - but neither ship could claim a definitive battle.

History's telling of the story as the Merrimac instead of the C.S.S. Virginia is considered by many an affront to actual history and a slap at the Confederacy.
Great post.

I agree that the CSS Navy, including the story of the Virginia, is a great story - often unfairly told.

I am sure you are more familiar with this particular issue than I am- but you made me want to follow up on it.
Informed Opinion

North Fort Myers, FL

#13295 May 25, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>good post,and I agree 100%.i think it is just case of the spoils going to the victors.while much is made of the Monitors' rotating turret(which was a unique innovation),it is never even mentioned that the Virginia had a unique innovation of its' own.that was sloped armor.i don't think this was re-invented until ww2 when the Russians used it on their T-34 tank(with American help).
Lately, I've been fascinated by the native "opposition" during wars. The Draft Riots and the steps taken to control civilian opposition in the Civil War, whether it be the "Home Guard", or Lincoln having people protesting arrested.

The substantial numbers of Americans who were loyal to Great Britain in the Revolutionary War have been almost totally ignored. That's a fascinating story.

Our History classes seem to like to make very complicated issues - appear simple.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#13296 May 25, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Constantly Confused,
You are confusing me with someone else. While it is obvious that all who disagree with your baseless pronouncements have melded into a single entity, we in fact remain separate individuals.
Please note that the post you replied to dealt with determining the cost of a product. Perhaps you thought you were responding to the 60-vote majority required to move anything thru the US Senate.
Dear Constantly Incorrect,
The only thing I could possibly confuse you with would be a turnip.

Location hidden

#13297 May 25, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
Something to consider -
by Cathy Payne, USA TODAY
Memorial Day weekend will kick off the summer travel season for many Americans, but some workers won't be able to kick back on a vacation this year.
Nearly one in four Americans (23%) has no paid vacation days, according to a report released today by the Center for Economic and Policy Research, a non-profit based in Washington, D.C.
"Relying on businesses to voluntarily provide paid leave just hasn't worked," says report co-author John Schmitt, a senior economist at the center.
The report analyzed national and international data on 21 democracies in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. The group of 21 countries includes 16 in Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and the USA.
The USA is the only advanced economy that does not require employers to provide paid vacation days, the report says. Many U.S. employers offer paid vacation days and holidays, but no law sets a minimum.
The 27-member European Union requires employers to grant at least 20 paid vacation days a year. Canada and Japan require at least 10.
U.S. law also does not make provisions for paid holidays, but many countries with a comparable standard of living do. For example, Austria guarantees 13 paid holidays; Canada, nine. France, with 30 paid vacation days, requires one paid holiday.
U.S. private sector workers have an average of 10 paid vacation days and six paid holidays a year, the report says. It notes that that does not meet the minimum requirement in 19 countries.
The report also finds a gap between the USA's lowest and highest earners. About 90% of high-wage workers (the top fourth) have paid vacation, vs. 49% of low-wage workers (the bottom 25%). About 91% of high-wage workers have paid holidays, compared with 50% of low-wage workers.
The center first analyzed vacation and holiday data six years ago. "It is striking that six years after we first looked at this topic, absolutely nothing has changed," Schmitt says. "U.S law and U.S. employer behavior still lags far behind the rest of the rich countries in the world."
Why won't you just post the link? I have asked and asked and you simply won't do that unless you are attempting to hide something. This is a reply for what you have CHOSEN to post. Before a person takes a job, he/she should determine what the company offers in the way of vacation. If they don't like it, they should move on. Unions are on their way out.

Location hidden

#13298 May 25, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone and everyone can get "into" a union.
Getting into a union is not the problem, the problem is that bought and paid for legislators have created "Right to Starve" states, where you can have all the benefits created by union negotiations, without that pesky necessity of actually joining the union.
Inevitably, as intended, these laws cause the demise of unions as the freeloaders demoralize and financially devastate the union.
Additionally, labor law enforcement has disintegrated to the point that if you intentionally violate a union members rights, fire him, drive him into poverty, conspire to prevent his employment elsewhere, and otherwise destroy his life, and if, after years of litigation, he prevails at trial, his relief is limited to possibly obtaining the job from which he had been illegally fired.
Good luck with surviving that.
Like the Right Wing always does, in order to stifle the rights of the average working man, they simply remove the incentive attorneys have to pursue enforcement of those rights.
Employers laugh at labor law enforcement.
It always has worked, and always will.
Unless it's changed over the past several years, NOT anyone nor everyone can get into a union. I gave an example of a couple of people I know who had to have other Journeyman endorse them before they could enter an apprenticeship program. Perhaps I'm not talking about the same thing as you are, but that is the experience that I know of.
IMO, it's the violence and bullying that unions have a reputation of employing that has hurt them beyond recovery.

Location hidden

#13299 May 25, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
To my friends across the state of Georgia, and notably Synergy and Bill, who are regulars on this thread, we have a big local and free show coming up this Summer here in Columbus Georgia, perhaps y'all, and everyone reading this will come down and join us, maybe even fit in a little Whitewater Rafting as well, if you're so inclined:
Saturday, June 29, 2013
11:00am until 5:00pm
Columbus, GA, US
The "Minstrels on the Block" concert show at the Harley Davidson pavilion will be Saturday, June 29th from 11:00 am - 5:00 pm.
All local performers and bands... come out and support the local music scene!
All Ages - Free Show.
"Idle Hour Night" / Shadowville All-Stars 2013:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/...
Heeeeeey, Will. Thanks for the info. Are you going to be preforming?

Location hidden

#13300 May 25, 2013
OMTE wrote:
Syn was that your crazy butt they had to drag out for interrupting the President during his speech? They should have tazed you.
Huh? When did the president give a speech? Today?

Location hidden

#13301 May 25, 2013
ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
What in the world are y'all talking about?

Location hidden

#13302 May 25, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
What in the world are y'all talking about?
Hey, Syn. here's the link, the posts are lame attempts at being "funny".

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2013/0...

Location hidden

#13303 May 25, 2013
Okay, I don't think the link is working. Search "woman heckles Obama during counter terrorism speech". I know Townhall had an article as did the Washington Post

Location hidden

#13304 May 26, 2013
Yeah, you're right. Those posts weren't funny and were very lame. Obama must have been having a slow day. He was actually making a feeble attempt to follow through on a promise he made four and a half years ago.
Informed Opinion

North Fort Myers, FL

#13305 May 26, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>Why won't you just post the link? I have asked and asked and you simply won't do that unless you are attempting to hide something. This is a reply for what you have CHOSEN to post. Before a person takes a job, he/she should determine what the company offers in the way of vacation. If they don't like it, they should move on. Unions are on their way out.
Agreed that, absent unions, American Workers are nothing but "Human Resources" a/k/a Serfs.

Agreed that, absent unions, the Middle Class and Americans' quality of life will continue to deteriorate.

Agreed that, as long as Right Wing Wackos are able to convince significant numbers of Americans that their only tried and true mechanism to maintain the Middle Class and a decent quality of life, i.e., unions, are "bad", America will continue to decline toward even more "Banana Republic" status.

But hey, I've got my pensions, the kids' educations are all prepaid, trusts are in place to assure graduate degrees are available, but if your want your kids to be serfs, good for you.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13306 May 26, 2013
"The higher pay of union jobs represents nothing more than an unfair tax on consumers."

Interesting no one has been able to debate or refute the above comment nor others ones by Mr. Conard.

Also interesting that the clueless and uneducated wouldn't look at it and say union members should take "less" to benefit everyone. Nope, the rich should pay more in taxes

Hypocrisy?

Location hidden

#13307 May 26, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
To my friends across the state of Georgia, and notably Synergy and Bill, who are regulars on this thread, we have a big local and free show coming up this Summer here in Columbus Georgia, perhaps y'all, and everyone reading this will come down and join us, maybe even fit in a little Whitewater Rafting as well, if you're so inclined:
Saturday, June 29, 2013
11:00am until 5:00pm
Columbus, GA, US
The "Minstrels on the Block" concert show at the Harley Davidson pavilion will be Saturday, June 29th from 11:00 am - 5:00 pm.
All local performers and bands... come out and support the local music scene!
All Ages - Free Show.
"Idle Hour Night" / Shadowville All-Stars 2013:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/...
Howdy Will! I will tentatively put it on the calendar, have a Las Vegas golf trip planned around that time, so I may not make it...

Location hidden

#13308 May 26, 2013
bored monitor wrote:
<quoted text>
ur a punk, tuff dude.
LMAO.

Although MANY would agree, how can you tell from his/her posts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hinesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hello Jan 19 escobar 2
New pharmacist at Coastal Family of Pharmacies Jan 12 jordennancy23 1
The Billy Crowder Case (Mar '12) Jan 9 boopdude 92
Looking for male CKC German Shepherd to breed w... Dec '14 redheadredneck1990 1
Zaxyby's Dec '14 Curious 1
STC Names Semi-Finalists in Student Competition Dec '14 Bob Jenkins 1
Best internet provider Nov '14 JessicAb 1
Hinesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web