Citizens that Need to STEP UP!

Citizens that Need to STEP UP!

Posted in the Hindman Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fanny Jones

Lebanon, VA

#1 Jul 26, 2012
Our county is drowning in a sea of apathy. I call on certain members of our community to step up and do something! We need leaders! We need the next generation to take the dollar bills out of their noses and toss their bath salts into their bath tubs instead of distilling them down into a hypodermic needle!

Take KNOTT COUNTY TO THE FUTURE! HINDMAN can and will be the next LEXINGTON or LOUISVILLE under the right leadership! Can you see it? I can see it! Let's nominate young professionals that we want to see step it up! No facetious posts please. This is serious! If you know a young person that should be elevated to lead Knott County out of this dark depression whether drug or drink induced, please invite them to come post and ride on this wave of positivity.

The torch has been passed to the new generation!
Fanny Jones

Lebanon, VA

#3 Jul 26, 2012
I agree with your nominations. Folks, please invite the honorable Seth Slone and Ezalee Pigman to come on to Topix and wax poetically about logical changes we can bring to our fine county. Give us suggestions, men and women. We are all ears.

I'm open to their suggestions as DPM respects each of them enough to bestow on them the much-respected title of Judge Executive. Remember, there is no greater gift you can give a person that your vote and appointment to political office to serve the county and the commonwealth well.

I want to stamp each of them with the "FANNY JONES LEADERSHIP AWARD 2012" I hope this can be a resume-booster as well as a source of pride for the community to see wonderful folks mentioned on topix and not tore down like a haunted house on the outskirts of Floyd County.

We are all about lifting these folks up as well as other folks that meet the criteria! The criterion is they must be of the new generation and bright and able-minded Knott County natives. We don't need any pessimism here or negativity. Good vibrations all around--sending it out in the universe in abundance.

Make Knott County swell with the pride of a thousand lighters all waving in unison in honor of these find folks. These "rock star" status citizens beaming with knowledge and civic duty. They are like a light on a coal-miner's dust covered hat shining the way into the future.
Lincoln

Pikeville, KY

#4 Jul 27, 2012
My vote goes to one of the toughest, smartest, sexiest men to ever come out Knott County........Mitch Dyer. He needs to come back to Knott County and set up a medical practice with another fine Knott Countian, Chris Yeary.
Fanny Jones

Lebanon, VA

#5 Jul 27, 2012
Lincoln wrote:
My vote goes to one of the toughest, smartest, sexiest men to ever come out Knott County........Mitch Dyer. He needs to come back to Knott County and set up a medical practice with another fine Knott Countian, Chris Yeary.
Wonderful idea, DPM! Thank you for these nominations of these noble citizens. I do wish more of our shining stars would pay homage to their kinfolk and ancestry and migrate back to Knott County to serve. We need more doctors and medical professionals in this area to treat our booming mining community. A hard day's work takes its toll on the body. Black lung is also a concern.

We also need doctors that specialize in addiction to help rid our citizens of the demons that plague them. I read quite often on here about the perils of drug use. While I think the drug problem might be exaggerated a bit much, if it exists as individuals on here say it does with a pill bottle in every holler, we need these named individuals to STEP UP and return to this glorious land of plenty.

HINDMAN as the next LEXINGTON or LOUISVILLE or hell even NEW YORK CITY! Can you see it? I can see it!
Fanny Jones

Richlands, VA

#6 Jul 29, 2012
I would also like to see organic farming brought to the region, so that we don't have to eat fruit and vegetables grown in the merky soil of coal run off.
Obama

Auxier, KY

#7 Jul 30, 2012
Fanny Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderful idea, DPM! Thank you for these nominations of these noble citizens. I do wish more of our shining stars would pay homage to their kinfolk and ancestry and migrate back to Knott County to serve. We need more doctors and medical professionals in this area to treat our booming mining community. A hard day's work takes its toll on the body. Black lung is also a concern.
We also need doctors that specialize in addiction to help rid our citizens of the demons that plague them. I read quite often on here about the perils of drug use. While I think the drug problem might be exaggerated a bit much, if it exists as individuals on here say it does with a pill bottle in every holler, we need these named individuals to STEP UP and return to this glorious land of plenty.
HINDMAN as the next LEXINGTON or LOUISVILLE or hell even NEW YORK CITY! Can you see it? I can see it!
I agree with everything you said especially our booming mining industry. As you know I am your friend and it is a shame that natural gas has weakened your good mining industry. I will continue to do all I can for the good hard working miners in East kentucky.
lol

Logan, WV

#8 Aug 2, 2012
Obama wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with everything you said especially our booming mining industry. As you know I am your friend and it is a shame that natural gas has weakened your good mining industry. I will continue to do all I can for the good hard working miners in East kentucky.
Thank you so much Mr.Presdent.
Bronson

Ransom, KY

#11 Aug 6, 2012
Mitch Dyer is not exactly what Id call a role model for Knott County.
Joseph

Pineville, KY

#12 Nov 4, 2012
Lincoln wrote:
My vote goes to one of the toughest, smartest, sexiest men to ever come out Knott County........Mitch Dyer. He needs to come back to Knott County and set up a medical practice with another fine Knott Countian, Chris Yeary.
I can't speak for the sexiest but it would be great for the community if he'd come back and open a medical practice. I know that he knows Kevin Davis pretty well. Maybe he could partner up with him. Or with Chris Yeary who is a good friend of his. But last I heard from him he is enjoying Corbin pretty well so I doubt he would leave. I agree with Bronsn. He's not a good role model though..........insert sarcasm here
PWF

Pikeville, KY

#13 Nov 5, 2012
Knott County has enough egotistical jackasses.
Robert

Ivel, KY

#14 Nov 6, 2012
I think we should have a county judge executive who would want to develop the land around here to bring in jobs and money and not say they will but put the money in their own pocket. The old fools that are in office now arent doing anything for our county. The sportslex, what a joke! It see's its business but why go there to work out when we have a gym thats closer and cheaper in membership fees. That was a waste of money and lets not forget though, the idea of it was from Donny Newsome! To get a job there as well as anywhere else in the county, you have to be a big brown nose. You have to kiss where thr sun doesnt shine! Thats a shame. The artisan center, really? The artisan center is nothing but a waist of time, money and space! What does it really do for Knott County? You go in, look around, though you cant afford to buy anything. It serves no purpose! I just dont understand why the people of Knott County votes in old fools who like to steal money. Our home is dying people! We tried to make Knott County wet like it used to be to create more revenue, to save our home! Though, people shot that down. Ill never understand why either. I guess they are just to chicken to actually try and stand up to save our home!
heres-a-thought

Kite, KY

#15 Nov 12, 2012
In all honesty this county needs a few things to happen, but the older generation will have to support it...I agree with Robert, let's make Knott county wet, by doing so we could bring in good restaurants and some sort of night life..Then let's move toward something a bit more original, maybe a target or best buy, something that will bring people from Hazard, Pikeville and Prestonsburg to us. Lastly we need to bring in a couple factories maybe automotive or something along those lines...We just need to break the habit of putting greedy people in control of our future.
G I JOE

Ermine, KY

#16 Nov 13, 2012
Hell put the pratts in there
my2cents

Hindman, KY

#17 Nov 13, 2012
I think the problem is, there aren't many of the right kind of people who can do a job like this successfully....It would take a nice, yet stern, honest, friendly, well-educated, trustworthy person who TRULY wants the BEST for Knott County, Not to build their name up, or to make their wallet fatter....And they would need a very good family & support system to back them....Doesn't sound like a lot, But seems like it's hard to find!!!!! Some may say it's impossible, But I say it's not...I know a few people like this, But, would they want to fill a position in such a mess as this? Probably is doubtful! But, I pray our county has some positive changes soon!!!!

heres-a-thought

Kite, KY

#18 Nov 13, 2012
my2cents wrote:
I think the problem is, there aren't many of the right kind of people who can do a job like this successfully....It would take a nice, yet stern, honest, friendly, well-educated, trustworthy person who TRULY wants the BEST for Knott County, Not to build their name up, or to make their wallet fatter....And they would need a very good family & support system to back them....Doesn't sound like a lot, But seems like it's hard to find!!!!! Some may say it's impossible, But I say it's not...I know a few people like this, But, would they want to fill a position in such a mess as this? Probably is doubtful! But, I pray our county has some positive changes soon!!!!
I totally agree, they would also need to go into this knowing it would be an uphill climb and that in the beginning they will fail more than they will succeed. We need someone who understands the we need more than just retail stores, we need factories and jobs that provide a decent wage.
my2cents

Hindman, KY

#19 Nov 13, 2012
heres-a-thought, I totally agree with you!!! I would love to see some factories in here...Any kind would be good, some of them bring in hundreds of jobs....I would love to see a few new restaurants, stores, hotels, etc....But first, we need somethings to come in that will bring lots of jobs. I think it would be awesome to have a few factories, and then hopefully later a hospital....Those would bring in lots of jobs in our community! If it were up to me, that would be 2 of my TOP PRIORITIES!
Robert

Pikeville, KY

#20 Nov 13, 2012
First thing is we have to establish a budget that is only made for our bills and not for lining politicians pockets! Our bills is the biggest priority right now! Close down the things that dont profit for Knott County for example the sportsplex or artisan center. Next we should have another election for being wet and let the County see how it is helping other counties like Whitesburg or Hazard. If we cant get the wet vote to go through then we should force it and make the County wet anyways that way we would have that extra revenue coming in! We would next have to call those big factories and persuade them to come and view the land to try and get them to invest in Knott County. Businesses like Ford, Nestle, etc. Once they develope here then we can try and see if we can get a restaurant in here with great food. Maybe even a Walmart or Lowes and a movie theater. We the people of Knott County must step up and show that we want to save our home instead of seeing it die. I hear everyone complaining about how bad it has became and how there isnt anything to do here. Well guess what, u voted for Randy Thompson for judge executive, u voted for Knott County to stay dry, u r to blame!!! I only ask this, do u want ur kids or grandchildren to grow up in a dieing town only to be forced to move away because of no jobs, no source of income whatsoever and never see their families again? I want to see Knott County the way it should be, big and beautiful, growing and full of life and businesses that would let u have a career and give u a chance to improve ur situation. So the first thing we have to do is get Randy Thompson out office because we have to live with Obama for another 4 years. Then we have to elect a person who like me only wants to this County grow to be as big as Hazard or even Lexington! Only then we will get change. Only then will everyone get to see happiness and prosperity!
heres-a-thought

Kite, KY

#21 Nov 13, 2012
my2cents wrote:
heres-a-thought, I totally agree with you!!! I would love to see some factories in here...Any kind would be good, some of them bring in hundreds of jobs....I would love to see a few new restaurants, stores, hotels, etc....But first, we need somethings to come in that will bring lots of jobs. I think it would be awesome to have a few factories, and then hopefully later a hospital....Those would bring in lots of jobs in our community! If it were up to me, that would be 2 of my TOP PRIORITIES!
Exactly, we start off small and over time we can build and move forward.
heres-a-thought

Kite, KY

#22 Nov 13, 2012
Robert wrote:
First thing is we have to establish a budget that is only made for our bills and not for lining politicians pockets! Our bills is the biggest priority right now! Close down the things that dont profit for Knott County for example the sportsplex or artisan center. Next we should have another election for being wet and let the County see how it is helping other counties like Whitesburg or Hazard. If we cant get the wet vote to go through then we should force it and make the County wet anyways that way we would have that extra revenue coming in! We would next have to call those big factories and persuade them to come and view the land to try and get them to invest in Knott County. Businesses like Ford, Nestle, etc. Once they develope here then we can try and see if we can get a restaurant in here with great food. Maybe even a Walmart or Lowes and a movie theater. We the people of Knott County must step up and show that we want to save our home instead of seeing it die. I hear everyone complaining about how bad it has became and how there isnt anything to do here. Well guess what, u voted for Randy Thompson for judge executive, u voted for Knott County to stay dry, u r to blame!!! I only ask this, do u want ur kids or grandchildren to grow up in a dieing town only to be forced to move away because of no jobs, no source of income whatsoever and never see their families again? I want to see Knott County the way it should be, big and beautiful, growing and full of life and businesses that would let u have a career and give u a chance to improve ur situation. So the first thing we have to do is get Randy Thompson out office because we have to live with Obama for another 4 years. Then we have to elect a person who like me only wants to this County grow to be as big as Hazard or even Lexington! Only then we will get change. Only then will everyone get to see happiness and prosperity!
I do think making the county wet would benefit us in the long run, but I'm not sure that just closing places like the sportsplex is the way to go...We have spent a lot of money on it and to just scrap it may not be the best thing, maybe look into ways to make it profitable...Possibly holding sporting events like UK exhibition game, concerts and things like that. The floor layout may need to be changed a bit, but its just too new of a building to just scrap. Getting the big factories here may take a bit of effort, but it can be done. I myself would push for target, best buy and the home depot, simply because we don't have any of those stores in the area and that would bring people from other counties to us. I seriously believe if we pushed for this, with the right people in office we can make it happen.
Robert

Paintsville, KY

#23 Nov 14, 2012
heres-a-thought wrote:
<quoted text> I do think making the county wet would benefit us in the long run, but I'm not sure that just closing places like the sportsplex is the way to go...We have spent a lot of money on it and to just scrap it may not be the best thing, maybe look into ways to make it profitable...Possibly holding sporting events like UK exhibition game, concerts and things like that. The floor layout may need to be changed a bit, but its just too new of a building to just scrap. Getting the big factories here may take a bit of effort, but it can be done. I myself would push for target, best buy and the home depot, simply because we don't have any of those stores in the area and that would bring people from other counties to us. I seriously believe if we pushed for this, with the right people in office we can make it happen.
I like where ur head is at but for some the sportsplex is just to far away to drive with todays gas prices the way they r and then u gotta think about the all the stuff u would want to buy from the event. The only real profit we would make is from the admission but thats only if we dont have to split it up with the people putting on the event. We would barely make even. If the County would go wet though and if a factory came in and developed the land then stores like target would come in and see that we want their business here! Yes u r right, we have to push for this but we as ppl from Knott County have to want change and progress! I feel that it will never happen if we dont stand together and fight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hindman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 46 min Just call me ABE 2 754
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 11 hr North Mountain 156,562
http://tryvindale.com/Vg19mQ1u 16 hr easy money 1
C&C Automotive Repair 21 hr Just Wondering 1
The real reason Hwy 550 is blocked east of Mousie Tue ENGR 2
david turtle Dec 5 Stinky 2
rehab coming to knott co. (Nov '14) Dec 4 Question 34

Hindman Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hindman Mortgages