Big Fiscal Court Meeting

Big Fiscal Court Meeting

Posted in the Hindman Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Midnight Rider

United States

#1 Jan 30, 2013
Th will be a big fiscal court metting today at 5:30 TODAY , should be real interesting. I heard there will be a lot of people there from the human service center.. A lot of money has been spent see how.Ask to see who is on the county insurance, this will be interesting.
FedUp

Hindman, KY

#2 Jan 30, 2013
I'm hearing when the state gets this all ironed out some may be going to jail. The state has asked for an investigation.

I've heard people have insurance through the county and they don't even work for the county. If this is true heads need to roll.
june

Hindman, KY

#3 Jan 30, 2013
anyone know anything on the big meeting tonight
Fiscal Ct Mtg

Hindman, KY

#4 Jan 31, 2013
june wrote:
anyone know anything on the big meeting tonight
How was the attendance at last night's meeting? Any citizens speak up and out? The $260,000.00 Mr. Thompson was sentenced to pay the county would come in handy in reducing the $938,000.00 deficit, as would removing him from office as per the convicted felon law dictates. What types of cuts are we to expect? A visionary without finances has proved fruitless. What kind of legacy is this? Will those cash cows begin closing their doors which have been used to receiving large county funds annually for nearly a decade without ever becoming self-sufficient?
Midnight Rider

United States

#5 Jan 31, 2013
Our magistrates need the citizens in supporting them at these meetings.They are going to have to make some very important decisions.Our county is over staffed. We must have lay offs and some deep cuts in programs and services, and also and major cut back in spending. These men did not cause our money woes , but now they must cure it., or we will be faced with a tax increase, and we dont need that.
Tax man cometh

Hindman, KY

#6 Jan 31, 2013
Occupational tax on the way, first reading tomorrow. Some are saying that's the only way out of this mess and it looks like it will pass this time.
suggestions

Clayhole, KY

#7 Jan 31, 2013
Why not collect the 250,000.00 plus dollars owed to the County from Thompson. That could be done in several ways, and would reduce a huge chunk of the deficit. Secondly, immediately stop the salary going to Thompson, reduce the number of non-necessary positions, such as the sportsplex, atv trails, artisan center, and other non necessary positions that will help the budget. Maintain the necessary departments such as the county highways, keeping th basic departments open and available to the citizens. These actions could be first steps in bringing the County out of dire straits.
John Doe

Fremont, CA

#8 Jan 31, 2013
Ken Gayheart can have the Governor appoint another judge anytime...It's bull crap when people are saying it's up to Gramm Martin to remove Randy...There's a ky Statue i posted saying when a judge is convicted of a felon and the office is vacant from said judge then the county clerk must notify the Governor...Well you can't get no vacant than this when Randy is in another state doing time...Our Magistrates are loss when it's time to step up..
june

Hindman, KY

#10 Jan 31, 2013
if they past the tax lets all stop working and sign up on the gov no need in working dont bring much home right now so the he!! with it.if u tax me anymore what is left 4 me and my family
baddeal

Hindman, KY

#11 Jan 31, 2013
John Doe wrote:
Here's the statue...As you can see it doesn't say anything about the commonwealth attorney having to remove Randy...I belive Ken Gayheart has the authority to contact the Governor's office anytime...
Vacancies in the office of the county judge/executive are filled by the governor.
When a vacancy occurs, the county clerk is responsible for notifying the governor that the
office is vacant (KRS 63.210). A county judge/executive appointed to fill a vacancy
serves in accordance with Section 152 of the Kentucky Constitution.
unfortunately it does take avtion by Commonweatl Attorney Martin. other counties have had to endure a felon who won't leave office voluntarily. see this AG opinion. http://ag.ky.gov/civil/opinions/1997/OAG9730....
baddeal

Hindman, KY

#12 Jan 31, 2013
unfortunately it does take a lawsuit filed by Commonwealth Attorney Martin. other counties have had to put up with a felon who won't leave office. it takes Graham to do it. this AG opinion makes it clear..http://ag.ky.gov/civil/ opinions/1997/OAG9730.... it's clear as a bell what needs to be done.
steps forward

Clayhole, KY

#13 Jan 31, 2013
Okay...so everyone needs to call Ken and inquire as to when he is going to contact the Governors' Office. Of course the Governor is already well aware of the problems in this area, but it appears the proper steps need to be taken as soon as possible to move beyond the current situation.
not true

Hindman, KY

#14 Jan 31, 2013
steps forward wrote:
Okay...so everyone needs to call Ken and inquire as to when he is going to contact the Governors' Office. Of course the Governor is already well aware of the problems in this area, but it appears the proper steps need to be taken as soon as possible to move beyond the current situation.
the COMMONWEALTH ATTORNEY GRAHAM MARTIN is the only one you need to call since everyone from the governor's office, the attorney general's office all the way down to the three magistrates that actually give a damn have said graham and only graham can remove Thompson.
Doubtful

Hindman, KY

#15 Jan 31, 2013
John Doe wrote:
Here's the statue...As you can see it doesn't say anything about the commonwealth attorney having to remove Randy...I belive Ken Gayheart has the authority to contact the Governor's office anytime...
Vacancies in the office of the county judge/executive are filled by the governor.
When a vacancy occurs, the county clerk is responsible for notifying the governor that the
office is vacant (KRS 63.210). A county judge/executive appointed to fill a vacancy
serves in accordance with Section 152 of the Kentucky Constitution.
​Under section 150 of the Constitution of Kentucky, a public official who has been convicted of a felony must be removed from office. Bringing an ouster action is the responsibility of the commonwealth attorney as to county officials, and the Attorney General as to other officials. KRS 415.040, 415.050.
why the hold up

Clayhole, KY

#16 Jan 31, 2013
So what's the hold up and why has this process not already begun. Getting anything done in Knott County is nearly impossible. It is a part of real world and it's high time to take the necessary steps to move on. Thompson is gone, convicted, in prison. Let's get the ball rolling to move beyond this point. Whomever is responsible for taking that next step, needs to step up and get it in the works. The County is stagnant.
Yikes

Whitesburg, KY

#17 Jan 31, 2013
Gramm Martin nor Ken Gayheart have any authority to remove Randy at this point. Randy's conviction is not "final" until he exercises his ability appeal to the supreme court. Until he does so he has not used up all his options and his conviction isn't final and the office is not vacant.

I don't agree with this and i wish Randy would leave his office, but I didn't write the constitution.
Blues news

Whitesburg, KY

#18 Jan 31, 2013
june wrote:
if they past the tax lets all stop working and sign up on the gov no need in working dont bring much home right now so the he!! with it.if u tax me anymore what is left 4 me and my family
Wow i didnt realize knott co had such a strong workforce that would be impacted by the tax.....considering the occupational tax would not effect those who draw a check, sell drugs, work for cash under the table, don't work at all or work outside of the county i assume that exempts about 80% of all knott county residents
WaylandWander

Whitesburg, KY

#19 Jan 31, 2013
not true wrote:
<quoted text>the COMMONWEALTH ATTORNEY GRAHAM MARTIN is the only one you need to call since everyone from the governor's office, the attorney general's office all the way down to the three magistrates that actually give a damn have said graham and only graham can remove Thompson.
Who exactly did you speak with in the Governors office?
Doubtful

Hindman, KY

#20 Feb 1, 2013
WaylandWander wrote:
<quoted text>
Who exactly did you speak with in the Governors office?
a fellow named andrew from the governors office came to the last fiscal court meeting and stated "only the commonwealth attorney can remove the judge" everyone knows this is right. if there was another way the magistrates would have already done it.
Doubtful

Hindman, KY

#21 Feb 1, 2013
Yikes wrote:
Gramm Martin nor Ken Gayheart have any authority to remove Randy at this point. Randy's conviction is not "final" until he exercises his ability appeal to the supreme court. Until he does so he has not used up all his options and his conviction isn't final and the office is not vacant.
I don't agree with this and i wish Randy would leave his office, but I didn't write the constitution.
you maybe right but when Monday February 4, 2013 arrives the conviction is definitely final. Graham Martin then is the only one who has the authority to remove Randy unless he asks the AG to do it for him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hindman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 20 min ChromiuMan 153,865
Pig in a poke 9 hr Love BBQ 7
Most famous person to come or be born in Knott ... (Jun '09) 13 hr Yo dawg 171
Stripper in knott Wed antlers 3
Holly Hills Mall Restaurant Wed ex customer 3
Anyone know Ruth Martin (Mar '09) Tue hillbilly 2,411
kirby hicks (Oct '10) Sep 26 Anonymous knott c... 14

Hindman Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hindman Mortgages