Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 20 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#72595 Oct 17, 2012
Hey guys. Good days to be out on a bike lately. The fall colors just make for an overall enjoyable ride. I stopped in a MkeeDee's yesterday for the first time in about twenty years, na did not eat their synthetic foods but the restroom was clean enough for a quick number one,, lol. Lots of bird movement going gone so that alone is enough to get out in the real world.

Enjoy the day,,,,, trolls, not so much.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#72600 Oct 17, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>I have been keeping up with this thread as often as I can but do so quietly! By the way it is good to see good clean conversation and no mud slinging! I also agree that the younger generation know very little to nothing about survival or having to live off if the land! We have also taught my eight year old son hunting fishing and still in the process of teaching him how to harvest the meat from it! Now days youngsters are too used to picking up the phone and ordering food or running through a drive thru! Our society as a whole are way too spoiled! I do believe that we have not yet seen disaster! I would like to be more prepared for this sort of thing than I am because you can never be too prepared! A few years ago something as small as an ice storm shut things down for a while and people acted like they were dying all because they didn't have a coffe pot or a microwave! It really is scary to think how dependent we have become on oil, electricity, and modern technology that some people would not even begin to know how to survive outdoors if they had to! There is life past the sidewalks! I live in the country and I wouldn't change a thing! I'll try to keep up a little closer. Sounds like a good bunch if people in here!
I agree with everything you said LOL. I am grateful my son would have a fighting chance to survive and maybe help others. You would think people would have paid attention during the ice storm. I know many went out and bought generators but little else...no water, non-perishable food, or any supplies to speak of.

I am glad you have kept up with the thread despite the nastiness the mods are trying so hard to delete. There are some good folks on this thread with great ideas and stories to share. I have really learned alot in the last two years and made some good friends I email with despite never meeting them. I treasure their friendship. You can never have too many friends. Hope you join in if the mods can keep it clean and rid us of the undesirables.

Hope you have a great day LOL.
LOL

United States

#72602 Oct 17, 2012
Everyone have a great day as being able to get out and enjoy warm weather is quickly coming to a close for a while! If you are able get out and enjoy the warm temps while we still have it!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#72603 Oct 17, 2012
Going to get myself a new phone today. One of them fancy I Phones. Then I can be online ALL the time. LMAO!!!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#72608 Oct 17, 2012
Orionid meteor shower to light up the night skies this weekend, if it is clear outside, we can see the debris shed by Halley’s Comet.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#72609 Oct 17, 2012
Got my IPhone. Peek a Boo!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#72610 Oct 17, 2012
Thanks, AB. I usually keep up on meteor activity but this one slipped by me! I love to sit outside and watch for shooting stars with a mug of hot tea or hot chocolate with a fire going in the pit!!

I saw another program about the threat of a power grid attack last night. This is getting too up close and personal in terms of us all being ready.

I started setting empty milk jugs aside last month to store additional non drinkable water in. The full jugs can be left out in the shed. If things DO come to a head, I'd at least like to have enough extra water for us to wash "the important" parts when cold weather sets in. If something should happen at the time it would be much too cold to jump into the river or a pond to bathe yourself. I'm all about as much comfort that can be afforded, as well as surviving.....

If I was a terrorist, that would be the time I'd hit the USA. Right when the weather was at it's worst, when chances of survival would be less likely, and when they would reasonably expect many people from the less temperate climates to freeze to death. Even today with just the ravages of nature, we have people who freeze to death during ice storms, etc.

#72611 Oct 17, 2012
On another note, and at the risk of probably redundantly posting this same story somewhere in this very thread long ago, I just mentally recalled a segment on Lex 18 news during those terrible ice storms a few years back.

A woman was being interviewed and she was saying that everything in her refrigerator had spoiled....

So okay, let's break this down. It was an ICE STORM. We had below freezing temps for days... Perishable FOOD issues? Free ice and snow right outdoors which you could have used to keep your foods from going bad.... Sad scenario when we have people who aren't able to evaluate a situation and adjust during a disaster of any kind..

Is it just ME, or does anyone else see the irony here??

Some will definitely survive and do so as comfortably as they are able it if and when SHTF. Others? Nope. Purely due to a lack of any common sense..
Raven

Evansdale, IA

#72620 Oct 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Peaceful night. This is why I have chosen to go back to my roots in the country and use a wood burning stove with iron pots and skillets to cook on if it should become necessary.
I keep an ample supply of food items that do not require refridgeration and even though Abelievers list included salt, it was not given the priority that I think it deserves. One can never have too much salt. It can be used to process meats and fish and in Ancient times was more valuable than gold. Also, I do not recall seeing rice, pinto beans, or pasta on that list. Maybe they were.
I could do without television I dont watch much anyways. In the old days, we gathered around an old battery operated radio that dad hooked to the car battery on Saturday nights and roll started the old Chevy to go to Church on Sundays. A straight shift vehicle would be good to consider (or a mule LOL).
Sea Salt is better for you so it's the best to stock in your supplies. It is natural and not iodized of course;) Great Posts!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72622 Oct 17, 2012
Raven wrote:
<quoted text>Sea Salt is better for you so it's the best to stock in your supplies. It is natural and not iodized of course;) Great Posts!
I agree, old sailing ships used to salt down their seafood catch before there was ice machines and such. I was thinking more in terms of rock salt or ice cream salt.

#72623 Oct 17, 2012
I agree!! Salt AND honey. Both of which are survival staples that shouldn't be overlooked by any means. Honey NEVER spoils, they've even found jugs of it in the ancient pyramids and it's still edible! Amazing, isn't it??

Raw honey can also be used to treat wounds as it prohibits the growth of bacteria.
(Bet'cha most of you didn't know that). Just apply it to a wound and cover with a sterile bandage. The honey promotes healing!!

We need to keep this thread on track like it has been for the past couple of days. This is interesting to so many of us and every single hint we share is a step toward helping each other in turn..

The birds and other wildlife dying may be a sign from 'above', it might purely be due to mans devices, or it might be nature telling us to straighten our tails ends up. But there is no denying that we have other country's who can't stand us and they are on standby to do us in. So whatever the reason, we need to get in gear and stay in gear..

Cold weather is coming and I'm going to stay on my toes for the ones I love.

#72626 Oct 17, 2012
A lot of you might not appreciate this next item on my list of survival items, but a shelf supply of liquor(s) or wine(s) is beneficial too. Not only to barter with, but for "medicating" someone who is in pain when no other forms of adequate pain relief might be found and a simple dose of aspirin just won't do the job. Think "Old West days" when you construct your survival kits.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72627 Oct 17, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
A lot of you might not appreciate this next item on my list of survival items, but a shelf supply of liquor(s) or wine(s) is beneficial too. Not only to barter with, but for "medicating" someone who is in pain when no other forms of adequate pain relief might be found and a simple dose of aspirin just won't do the job. Think "Old West days" when you construct your survival kits.
When we were small, they made a warm toddy of liquor and sorghum molasses for sore throats.
Saragon

United States

#72639 Oct 17, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I always keep whiskey on hand for cough syrup and teas.

cough syrup-use half a fifth of whiskey and rock candy (you can make rock candy yourself or buy at the store) let the candy disolve in whiskey for a month, shake every now and then to mix it up.

sassafras tea cold remedy- boil sassafras root, willow, lemon and honey. Add a shot of whiskey just before you drink it and go to bed. It will sweat the cold out of you.

#72642 Oct 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
When we were small, they made a warm toddy of liquor and sorghum molasses for sore throats.
Yes. I remember being given a tablespoon of blackberry wine with honey and lemon juice for a severe cold with sore throat way back then..

And an "oldie but goody" remedy for severe nausea was Karo Syrup, baking soda and water. Put about a 1/4 cup of Karo syrup and about three tablespoons of baking soda in a medium sized mason jar full of water, keeping it chilled if you can. Give the person a tablespoon full at least every 1/2 hour. It eases the nausea in your stomach, helps to restore your blood sugar levels and also helps to rehydrate a person who's been vomiting..

I'm SURE that raw unprocessed honey would be better in place of the Karo syrup, now that I think about it...

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#72650 Oct 17, 2012
More birds eating my seeds. Some I don't recognize. Hmm...
DontCare

Frankfort, KY

#72651 Oct 17, 2012
Celebration time, I didn't see any birds die today.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#72653 Oct 17, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
More birds eating my seeds. Some I don't recognize. Hmm...
When I first got into birds I bought an audubon book,,while this is the computer age, the book was priceless in identifying the birds and providing good information. Get one. I liked the book so much I wound up getting the entire collection of audubon books,,trees, insects, anphibs, I think there are 20 in the feild guide series.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#72655 Oct 17, 2012
Still watching outside. Going to get some rain. My left knee hurts.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72658 Oct 17, 2012
I just got back from our local fast food and while there I saw something rather awe inspiring. An old lady dropped her change and a young child without hesitating for a second, bent down and looked up and smiled at the old lady and gave her back her
change.

It did my heart good to see such respect from a child when we see so much lack of it on this thread. As I was leaving, I patted the young child on the shoulder and told her and her mama about how proud and blessed I was to see such an event.

"And a Chikd shall lead them".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hindman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mark epperson 1 hr im sorry alana 8
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Myron 136,716
Big Y Market has best food 2 hr john wayne 6
Brandon stacy 2 hr runda 78
Mr. Creech from Carr Creek Elem 7 hr Ha Ha 5
Topless restaurant 9 hr view 5
taylor made signs 20 hr walrus love 13
More from around the web

Hindman People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE