What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center?

Posted in the Hillside Forum

Comments (Page 24)

Showing posts 461 - 480 of506
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
AtsMeAgain

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Scrubber59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks a Million Mr.Hillside! I managed to post a few demolition photos on Flickr to support your fine video taping.Everybody can look under my screen name of Scrubber2008 to view some of the final demolition images of the Hillside Shopping Center that I had taken in September,2013.
Thank you so much to everyone that has contributed to this Blog of "What happened To The Hillside Shopping Center".Your comments & stories are so much appreciated by us all!!!!
You know your stuff.Heres one...after Sandys what was the stereo store?
AtsMeAgain

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

I'll just throw these out there and any comments I would appreciate
Bonds clothing in mall
Armands rest.in mall
Vulcan quarry
A&W
pet store on Butterfield
big 6 drawer cash registers at Carsons with a million buttons
sporting goods store in mall
tube tester at Wallgreens in mall
name of carmel corn shop
a note... my grandma bought me carmel corn in the long narrow bags and it bent over halfway down and spilled all over Goldblatts tile floor (what a sound)got scared and hid inside a round floor clothing rack and a clerk took me back to grandma.
AtsMeAgain

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

I'll throw these out there for comments that will be appreciated!!
Bonds clothing in mall
Armands restaurant in mall
Kliens spoting goods
name of carmel corn shop
6 drawer cash register with a million buttons at Carsons
Grandma got me carmel corn in the long skinny bags when i was like 7 and spilled the whole bag on the tile floor in Goldblats (what a sound) got scared and hid inside a round floor clothing rack
tube tester at woolworths
pet store on butterfield
name of music store where Sandys was
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2013

who=AtsMeAgain<quoted text>You know your stuff.Heres one...after Sandy's what was the stereo store?
Of course I know the answer to your question my friend....The stereo store was called Playback & their trademark was The Electronic Playground.I visited that store so much as a young Teenager drooling over the Stereo equipment that I wanted so bad such as Pioneer's SX-650 Receiver & all of the other great music equipment that they sold.Man,I miss that place!
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2013

who="AtsMeAgain"]I'l l throw these out there for comments that will be appreciated!!
Bonds clothing in mall
Armands restaurant in mall
Kliens spoting goods
name of carmel corn shop
6 drawer cash register with a million buttons at Carsons
Grandma got me carmel corn in the long skinny bags when i was like 7 and spilled the whole bag on the tile floor in Goldblats (what a sound) got scared and hid inside a round floor clothing rack
tube tester at woolworths
pet store on butterfield
name of music store where Sandys was.

The Pet store on Butterfield Rd. in Hillside was called Alice's Aquatics & the Carmel Popcorn stand in The Hillside Shopping Center was called Gold-N-Mellow,it was great Carmel Corn.Klein's Sporting Goods was based out of Chicago & the rifle that killed President Kennedy was sold to Lee Harvey Oswald under an alias name.It was sold by mail order from Klein's Sporting Good's out of their Chicago location.I shopped at a Klein's in the Steamtown Mall in Scranton,PA in 2003 before they closed down the entire chain of stores.Milton Klein(owner)would get upset when somebody brought up the issue of President Kennedy around this time of year.Thanks for asking.
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

I went to Sunnyside & Proviso West High school and have some fond memories of my pretty Girl Student friends over the years.I can vividly remember the really cute girls wearing Summer Clothing Halter Tops with shorts wearing & White T-Strap Thong Sandals on their bare feet in school.It was so sexy to see these girls coming to school barefoot in these sandals.
I bet almost every guy that attended Proviso West can remember this.So many years have gone by since these days when things were like this,I really miss these days.I only wish that I could have met a pretty Girl when I went to Proviso West in my class year that was a Thong Sandal Girl.
Breaktime

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

AtsMeAgain wrote:
<quoted text>Was there a pet shop on Butterfield and you went up 8-10 steps or something?
Alices Aquatics
Lenny from Boeger

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Scrubber,, what year did you graduate PW?
Carol K

Mount Prospect, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2013

Dave wrote:
Oh yes, how could I forget Woolworth's and the lunch counter? Didn't they sell parakeets in the store too? Can't remember the name of the restaurant. William A. Lewis, a women's clothing store, was there I think. I grew up in Berkeley and graduated from Sunnyside Grade School in 1967 and Proviso West in 1971.
Who are you, Dave? I'm also from Sunnyside in '67 and PW in '71.

Have you checked the PW Facebooks pages? There's a class of 1971 page, many of us are still in touch. I was Carol Pelc, now Carol Kurczak. Hey, it's a special Bday year for all of us year.
Greg Davison

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2014

Bellwood Resident wrote:
Ooops... Meant to say far east end of the mall for Sandy's.
Sandy's later became a car audio store didn't it? Do not recall the name.
Was there also a Dog N' Suds just west of the Hillside Bowl prior to the bank? Thinking so. How about D's Dog Hut on Roosevelt Rd. across from Powers Towing? Is that still in business?

I remember driving in the Soap Box Derby in the Mall parking lot three years in a row on the East side of Carson's. I am looking for newspaper articles of that if anyone knows of any please let me know. Thanks.

There are some neat groups on Facebook that will whisk you back in time; https://www.facebook.com/groups/61802661643/
Breaktime

West Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Greg Davison wrote:
<quoted text>
Sandy's later became a car audio store didn't it? Do not recall the name.
Was there also a Dog N' Suds just west of the Hillside Bowl prior to the bank? Thinking so. How about D's Dog Hut on Roosevelt Rd. across from Powers Towing? Is that still in business?
I remember driving in the Soap Box Derby in the Mall parking lot three years in a row on the East side of Carson's. I am looking for newspaper articles of that if anyone knows of any please let me know. Thanks.
There are some neat groups on Facebook that will whisk you back in time; https://www.facebook.com/groups/61802661643/
I recall the dog n suds, the sandys that became playback and D's dog hut. The Burger Chef became quite a few eating joints, beef n burger, golden west, hillbilly Joes too if I remember right. and now Alpine banquets I believe.
davie m

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2014

rambler 75 wrote:
Yep, that sounds right Wayback.Unlike The Stained Glasseye in Westchester,The Record Barrel in Lombard,or Rolling Stone Records in Norridge. Thanks for the help.
flipside brother
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2014

Lenny from Boeger wrote:
Scrubber,, what year did you graduate PW?
I graduated PW in 1978 just in time to get out of there before they redistricted the Proviso Township boundries & integrated Proviso East & West.This basically set up the destruction of these neighborhoods of Berkeley,Bellwood & Hillside.
AtsMeAgain

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Remember Albertos Beef place at York and Butterfield? Al was one funny guy with mob ties I think in the early 70's, when I worked for him.We cattered some parties in Melrose Park that I thought was cool.A freshman I was at time and met Tony Acardo and Liza Minneli at a funky 50th anniv. for somebody.
AtsMeAgain

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Scrubber59 wrote:
I went to Sunnyside & Proviso West High school and have some fond memories of my pretty Girl Student friends over the years.I can vividly remember the really cute girls wearing Summer Clothing Halter Tops with shorts wearing & White T-Strap Thong Sandals on their bare feet in school.It was so sexy to see these girls coming to school barefoot in these sandals.
I bet almost every guy that attended Proviso West can remember this.So many years have gone by since these days when things were like this,I really miss these days.I only wish that I could have met a pretty Girl when I went to Proviso West in my class year that was a Thong Sandal Girl.
Loved that place to hang out and never had problems with anybody until you know what moved in!
Peggy

Cary, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Steve wrote:
Graduated PW 1973. Spent many hours ditching school hanging out at the "mall"... My mom worked at Wm. A. Lewis ("Where the models buy their clothes").
If you're interested, there's a Hillside Mall group on Facebook.
Sandy's was converted to Playback...
I remember buying Christmas trees at Goldblatt's (I think)...
. I looked forward to walking to the Hillside Mall after school (PW 73 grad). Still have the ring my boyfriend bought me from Hillside Jewelers.
Peggy

Cary, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Looked forward to walking to Hillside Mall after school (PW 73 grad) Still have the ring my boyfriend gave me from Hillside Jewelers.
Peggy

Cary, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Loved that mall. Walked over the tracks after school (PW grad 73) Still have the ring my boyfriend gave me from Hillside Jewelers.
berkeley kid

Durango, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

AtsMeAgain wrote:
Remember Albertos Beef place at York and Butterfield? Al was one funny guy with mob ties I think in the early 70's, when I worked for him.We cattered some parties in Melrose Park that I thought was cool.A freshman I was at time and met Tony Acardo and Liza Minneli at a funky 50th anniv. for somebody.
I remember Alberto's. Went there frequently. Didn't know about any mob ties w/Al, but Tony Accardo had a place just a few doors away from my parents (winter) home in indian wells, ca. Some friends of the family knew him pretty well.
Nostalgic One

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Westchester Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
It as called the melody top. Moe, Larry & Curley Joe Derita made an appearance there in the early 60's.
Check out the Horse and Buggy Lounge Facebook page for a couple pics of the Melody Top.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 461 - 480 of506
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hillside Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hillside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••