Torry from Bellwood

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#447 Sep 29, 2013
Graduated from PW in 61 (first graduating class) We spent a lot of time after school in Tally-Ho or Armands, or that diner that was on the outside along the parking lot where the West Towns & Bluebird,(remember them) buses stopped.I Became a Bellwood Police officer in 68,(thru 99) & worked security as a part time job after the center became a "mall" when they enclosed it. Walked it for ten years. It was a good way to run into people who had left the area especially over the holidays when people came back to see the families still in the neighborhood. Great years there. A few have commented on the pop corn stand,(Gold-N-Mello was the name), The owner also became a Bellwood Poice officer. Remember the record shop? it was run by a cousin of mine as was Cock Robin, I stay in the area about 50% of the time now, home is home!

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#448 Oct 3, 2013
Just an update as to the video as to how it sits now. I'm working on it. I have not forgotten nor blown it off. I have a friend who is heavily into video shooting and editing and its a matter of both of us having time to meet in Hillside. He will shoot it and then do some editing and then it will be posted. Probably on YouTube but it could be a different obscurer site. I will post when it is up and where.
Just an update that I'm working on it. I didn't blow it off.
Bellwood Memories

Wheaton, IL

#449 Oct 7, 2013
It is really sad to see the shopping center bulldozed. Especially when I can remember riding my bike in there before it was enclosed. A lot of great memories are going to buried under the rubble.

When we look at the future we usually point to all the new things that will come to pass. However, the evolution of the human society is as much about old things disappearing as new things appearing. This means it is particularly useful to consider everything in our lives that is likely to become extinct....unfortunately Hillside Shopping Center has joined that list. RIP
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#450 Oct 7, 2013
Bellwood Memories wrote:
It is really sad to see the shopping center bulldozed. Especially when I can remember riding my bike in there before it was enclosed. A lot of great memories are going to buried under the rubble.
When we look at the future we usually point to all the new things that will come to pass. However, the evolution of the human society is as much about old things disappearing as new things appearing. This means it is particularly useful to consider everything in our lives that is likely to become extinct....unfortunately Hillside Shopping Center has joined that list. RIP
Yes,I am also a person like you to see the final removal of the Hillside Shopping Center.Thank you for your recent comments.Many of my childhood items had come from this shopping center.Among them was countless pairs of quality Florsheim Shoes from Slater's Shoe store for my years in Sunnyside School in Berkeley,cookies & nuts,many clothes & my first 10 speed bike,my Mother's 2 oven Crown Brand Oven and even a Diawa fishing reel that I still own from Goldblatt's Department Store,countless plastic models & tubes of model glue & Testor's brand paints along with the many goldfish & cherry cokes from Woolworth's,my Mother's sewing supplies from the Singer Sewing Center,Furniture from L.Fish Furniture,Greeting Cards from Vicky's Hallmark,A Schwinn bicycle from Toy Town,a Science Fair AM Radio Kit & an electronic repair part from Allied Radio Shack for my 1972 Milton Bradley Voice of the Mummy Board Game that I still own, Bell Bottom Jeans from US Male,Carmel Popcorn from Golden N Mello,A hot Dog from Danny's dog Patch & even tie for my 8th Grade Graduation from the old Tie Lady @ Tie-Tac,Merchandise from Zayre & Ames,So much repair hardware from Menard's Home Center,the list could just go on & on...but I will always miss the Hillside Shopping Center for as long as I shall live!
Bellwood Memories

Wheaton, IL

#451 Oct 8, 2013
Scrubber59 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes,I am also a person like you to see the final removal of the Hillside Shopping Center.Thank you for your recent comments.Many of my childhood items had come from this shopping center.Among them was countless pairs of quality Florsheim Shoes from Slater's Shoe store for my years in Sunnyside School in Berkeley,cookies & nuts,many clothes & my first 10 speed bike,my Mother's 2 oven Crown Brand Oven and even a Diawa fishing reel that I still own from Goldblatt's Department Store,countless plastic models & tubes of model glue & Testor's brand paints along with the many goldfish & cherry cokes from Woolworth's,my Mother's sewing supplies from the Singer Sewing Center,Furniture from L.Fish Furniture,Greeting Cards from Vicky's Hallmark,A Schwinn bicycle from Toy Town,a Science Fair AM Radio Kit & an electronic repair part from Allied Radio Shack for my 1972 Milton Bradley Voice of the Mummy Board Game that I still own, Bell Bottom Jeans from US Male,Carmel Popcorn from Golden N Mello,A hot Dog from Danny's dog Patch & even tie for my 8th Grade Graduation from the old Tie Lady @ Tie-Tac,Merchandise from Zayre & Ames,So much repair hardware from Menard's Home Center,the list could just go on & on...but I will always miss the Hillside Shopping Center for as long as I shall live!
Scrubber59 -- By chance do you know what year they enclosed Hillside Shopping Center? For the life of me I cannot remember. I couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 maybe younger when we use to ride our bikes out to the shopping center. Times were sure different than -- nobody worried about you because all the towns were safe.

I grew up on 51st Ave., I'm sure our paths crossed at Randolph park or the Randolph pool or even the St. John Chrysostom Carnival the church club use to put on. I will always have fond memories of Hillside Shopping Center and growing up in Bellwood.
Arthur Treacher

Evergreen Park, IL

#452 Oct 8, 2013
That area sure got a little spicy since then!!
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#453 Oct 8, 2013
Bellwood Memories wrote:
<quoted text>
Scrubber59 -- By chance do you know what year they enclosed Hillside Shopping Center? For the life of me I cannot remember. I couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 maybe younger when we use to ride our bikes out to the shopping center. Times were sure different than -- nobody worried about you because all the towns were safe.
I grew up on 51st Ave., I'm sure our paths crossed at Randolph park or the Randolph pool or even the St. John Chrysostom Carnival the church club use to put on. I will always have fond memories of Hillside Shopping Center and growing up in Bellwood.
Yes, my Friend,I really believe it was the Spring of 1967 or later in 1968 after the Snowstorm of January of 1967 closed down the Hillside Shopping Center causing a major disruption in the businesses there.I was very young then (about 8 years old)& have a vague memory of the open Hillside Shopping Center.I remember seeing the Easter Bunny & Santa Claus there in the open mall.I also remember the bike racks & the white trash cans that stated to "Pitch in,Every Litter Bit Hurts".I hope that this helps.

Oak Brook, IL

#454 Oct 9, 2013
A little spicy? Some gang from Proviso West beat up my video guy and took his camera! Just kidding, he has one project to finish and hopefully we will shoot the video this weekend. No Bears game and no PW students to deal with. He kind of wanted to do it on a weekend so we wouldn't have to deal with passerby. Hopefully the video gets shot Saturday or Sunday and he wants to edit it like its on PBS. Then with some luck on YouTube next week. Its better then shooting it on my phone and just saying Jesus, the mall. Look what they did! Does anyone remember when they had the tiger and lion cubs and you could take a picture holding one of them? This would be in the mid 70s. Like '77 or so. It was like a two week affair and that was it.
Breaktime

Des Plaines, IL

#455 Oct 12, 2013
High on a Hillside wrote:
A little spicy? Some gang from Proviso West beat up my video guy and took his camera! Just kidding, he has one project to finish and hopefully we will shoot the video this weekend. No Bears game and no PW students to deal with. He kind of wanted to do it on a weekend so we wouldn't have to deal with passerby. Hopefully the video gets shot Saturday or Sunday and he wants to edit it like its on PBS. Then with some luck on YouTube next week. Its better then shooting it on my phone and just saying Jesus, the mall. Look what they did! Does anyone remember when they had the tiger and lion cubs and you could take a picture holding one of them? This would be in the mid 70s. Like '77 or so. It was like a two week affair and that was it.
Yep, just drove by there,....she's gone....
Bellwood Memories

Wheaton, IL

#456 Oct 12, 2013
Scrubber59 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, my Friend,I really believe it was the Spring of 1967 or later in 1968 after the Snowstorm of January of 1967 closed down the Hillside Shopping Center causing a major disruption in the businesses there.I was very young then (about 8 years old)& have a vague memory of the open Hillside Shopping Center.I remember seeing the Easter Bunny & Santa Claus there in the open mall.I also remember the bike racks & the white trash cans that stated to "Pitch in,Every Litter Bit Hurts".I hope that this helps.
Thanks Scrubber59 that does help. And it makes a little more sense because I would have been 11 or 12 at the time. Making the trek from 51st. Ave. as a 8 or 9 year old seemed a little off. Even though as I stated before the surrounding communities were ultra-safe back then. Thanks for the information you remember a lot more than I do -- we moved to California in 1971 and I moved back to Illinois in 2005. Nice talking with you!

Oak Brook, IL

#457 Oct 13, 2013
I just may end up just shooting it on my phone. My video guy is being a complete pain is the ass. He sits there with his Power Macs and he claims he needs to re edit something. Do you any of you care if its a Ridley Scott production or would you just rather see a few minutes of what's left? I can stop by and shoot some video on my phone and post it for those of you who live far away. After all you just want to see what happened right? All the memories and fun times reduced to nothing. Bellwood Memories: We used to hang out on 51st. It was safe around there to Mannheim to about 1984. Then the exodus occurred. I friends on Geneva, Granville, Hyde Park and as long as you stayed west of Mannheim everything was cool. Around '87-'88 people started moving in droves. It began to get a little scary. By '94 the apartments on Wolf were becoming section 8 and really I had no issue with it. Then the Radio Shack was robbed and there was gunfire in the alley behind my house. In '95 it was time to move. I have a friend on Spencer, one block west of 51st and it is down right scary there now. I'm not being a buzz kill. We used to hang out at Randolph(Memorial)Park all the time. Playing baseball during the summer, playing football on a day like today. Those were great times! Swimming in the pool until too many people overcrowded it. Then it was off to whoever had a nice pools house. Safety was never an issue. The worst thing that ever happened at the shopping center is my friend got his bike stolen. We didn't even use bike locks when we were kids. Now certain sections of Westmont are getting a little spicy and while I liked some of the houses in Wheaton and the neighbors seemed friendly, I like the sanitized areas of Naperville. I need something convenient to a tollway and I'm thinking Naperville is it. My realtor let me in on a little secret. People are moving out of Westmont in droves, if you are by one of these apartment complexes that caters to section 8 then you see what is going on. Tagging and houses being robbed, we never had any of that in Hillside. I think once in 19 years the power went out and here it goes out every year. Its a pain getting 10 gallons of gas for the generator until Com Ed gets everything back on line. I'm going for the buried power lines in Naperville and as a matter of fact my neighbor who lives directly across the street put up a Remax for sale sign yesterday and there are about 8 people helping them move today. Naperville here we come!
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#458 Oct 13, 2013
I just may end up just shooting it on my phone. My video guy is being a complete pain is the ass. He sits there with his Power Macs and he claims he needs to re edit something. Do you any of you care if its a Ridley Scott production or would you just rather see a few minutes of what's left? I can stop by and shoot some video on my phone and post it for those of you who live far away. After all you just want to see what happened right? All the memories and fun times reduced to nothing. Bellwood Memories: We used to hang out on 51st. It was safe around there to Mannheim to about 1984. Then the exodus occurred. I friends on Geneva, Granville, Hyde Park and as long as you stayed west of Mannheim everything was cool. Around '87-'88 people started moving in droves. It began to get a little scary. By '94 the apartments on Wolf were becoming section 8 and really I had no issue with it. Then the Radio Shack was robbed and there was gunfire in the alley behind my house. In '95 it was time to move. I have a friend on Spencer, one block west of 51st and it is down right scary there now. I'm not being a buzz kill. We used to hang out at Randolph(Memorial)Park all the time. Playing baseball during the summer, playing football on a day like today. Those were great times! Swimming in the pool until too many people overcrowded it. Then it was off to whoever had a nice pools house. Safety was never an issue. The worst thing that ever happened at the shopping center is my friend got his bike stolen. We didn't even use bike locks when we were kids. Now certain sections of Westmont are getting a little spicy and while I liked some of the houses in Wheaton and the neighbors seemed friendly, I like the sanitized areas of Naperville. I need something convenient to a tollway and I'm thinking Naperville is it. My realtor let me in on a little secret. People are moving out of Westmont in droves, if you are by one of these apartment complexes that caters to section 8 then you see what is going on. Tagging and houses being robbed, we never had any of that in Hillside. I think once in 19 years the power went out and here it goes out every year. Its a pain getting 10 gallons of gas for the generator until Com Ed gets everything back on line. I'm going for the buried power lines in Naperville and as a matter of fact my neighbor who lives directly across the street put up a Remax for sale sign yesterday and there are about 8 people helping them move today. Naperville here we come!
Hey Mr.Hillside & everybody else....as the Phil Collins song called "Too Many People" it holds it's truth.This is causing too many problems.I can really see why everybody is so upset by the disruption in our society.I feel so bad by this.I only wish that theere was something that I could do about it.The final demolition & closing of The Hillside Shopping Center has cemented together our feelings of our long lost Childhood in our area of life that we once called our safe home community.
I used to see so many pretty girls around here & now this area of Berkeley & Hillside has turned into trash.There is garbage,gum spots & spit everywhere on the sidewalks that were relaid about 10 years plus ago to improve this area.This area is rapidly becoming a ghetto because of the fools that wanted to take this area over that we once called home had seen what was being done here & waited until they could move in on us.The Illinois Prairie Path in Hillside & Berkeley is loaded with Minorities.Berkeley Park is being constantly used by Minorities & their is always trash everywhere,this is a rather new park that was developed in the 1970-1990's after the Chicago Great Western & Chicago Aurora & Elgin Railroads ceased operations.This urban blight is so sickening to me as I was bought up in Berkeley after my Parents left Wicker Park in Chicago after getting Married because of the same reasons in the late 1950's due to Gangs & their crime.How ignorant can this be?
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#459 Oct 13, 2013
Once again,This area has been converted into a Ghetto.There are no jobs anymore around here unless you a Minority.Yes,power failures are common occuring more than 4 times a year for extended periods.Almost all of the Apartments around here have become section 8.Almost all of the former Residents have moved away or died & you cannot trust to walk the streets at night anymore in fear of crime.Most of the homes appear to be kept up well but their are a many that are Foreclosed & neglected including occupied homes.
At night,there are people yelling & screaming about just everything in their homes & the sounds travel throughout the neighborhood even those whose have money are also responsible for this noise along with so much background noise as O'Hare Airport,the Eisenhower Expressway,Siren Noise & so many other disturbances,it is so hard to sleep @ night!

Oak Brook, IL

#460 Oct 13, 2013
First thing first, my video guy grew up in Berkeley, he moved out of there in 2000 after his father passed but he had a shared driveway. A ignorant couple moved in next door, they had an Australian Sheppard and blue heeler that just barked constantly. They put up a chain link fence that made it almost impossible for his elderly father to back out of the driveway. The one pole was right on the property line between the houses at the back. You had a foot on each side. Pole-house. They also put a concrete porch-stoop on the side of their house. My buddy started parking his car right between the houses on his property, on his half of the driveway. The new neighbors bitched up a storm. They couldn't get though and called the Berkeley PD. They came out and said its all legal. After his father passed he sold that house for $120,000. Now the same style house on Lee Blvd across the street went for $40,000. I drive by my old house and friends houses and want to throw up. The same for my friends. It was a beautiful area. I mean it was going to happen but two major things that helped it turn quicker were the mayors of Hillside and Berkeley. Tamburino allowing the dump. He may say differently now but in '81 IMO Sexton was just giving him briefcases of cash. Basically most of the Hillside residents at that time blame it on Tamburino. Second Michael "Tony" Esposito in Berkeley. "Berkeley residents enjoy safe and well-maintained neighborhoods, enriching activities and entertainment, and diverse groups of people to call neighbors." Yeah OK that's not the way the people who live there see it. Most of them call their neighbors something else. They cant get enough people to vote these two out. You want to see a really calm person just lose it? Bring up Esposito to someone who owns or owned a business in Berkeley. The fact that I posted a link from US News and World report about PW and nobody commented kind of shocked me. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-sch...
Click on it and read it. 97% minority. 2500 students. 25% graduate able to read, 20% graduate able to do basic math. 19 students per teacher which is a fantastic ratio. Yet nobody finds this shocking? In 1980 I don't think you were going to PW if you couldn't read or do basic math. You weren't getting in. Now you walk out the door with a diploma and you most likely cant read or do math. What is going on there? You have a 19 to 1 ratio so what are these students doing? What was your average class size at PW? The fact that you can read this means you know how to read. Honestly they should move the equipment from the mall to PW when they are finished. There is nothing going on there either. I'm sorry diverse is not the word here. We were diverse. Italians, Irish, Poles, Greeks you name it. Do you ever remember going to a friends house and being asked to stay for dinner? You called home and said you were eating at so and so's house. Sheppard's pie? I'm not eating that! Oh wait this is good. Hey the next time your mom makes this call me. We were a community and you could get busted by anyone's parents. You did something, thought you got away with it, somebody's Dad saw you and called your Dad. BUSTED! Now its like you see a kid on a skateboard. It brings back memories. Then the kid smashes into your mailbox and you go out and ask if he's OK. He runs. You put your mailbox back up. A week or two later you see the kid again. You ask are you OK? You sort of took my mailbox out with your head. The kids like yeah sorry and your like no big deal. Then the mother shows up and starts yelling "How dare you talk to my kid!" Its 50/50 at this point. Either she's going to be cool and realize you were just making sure her kid was OK or you are going to have your mailbox vandalized.
This is Westmont.

Oak Brook, IL

#461 Oct 15, 2013
I stand corrected about Berkeley. Esposito is out in Berkeley. I guess even he couldn't stand what he did to the Village. No more Mayor. Now they have a President. The last time this came up was a while back and the person was going off. They lived in Berkeley and I had heard enough people go off about Esposito over the years. Robert E. Lee Jr is the new village president. Good Luck to him. Berkeley has 1900 houses. 300 are section 8. 120 are VACANT. He has his work cut out for him after the path of destruction Esposito left. As a rule I try and stay out of Berkeley because it is still one HUGE speed trap. Actually the last Berkeley ticket was at Taft and St. Charles for making a turn on red. The sign says No Turn on Red When Pedestrians Are Present. I came to a complete stop, turned and the nearest person was a block away. I didn't consider that PRESENT. The Judge didn't either. I wasted my time at Maybrook Court but it was thrown out. I even tried to talk to The Berkeley PD Chief telling him a block away is not "PRESENT". The ticket had already been sent to the courthouse so I applied for a court date and went to court. This was about 7 years ago so maybe they have changed. I doubt it.

Oak Brook, IL

#462 Oct 16, 2013
Well I'll yell you what they are learning at MacArthur. How to carry and shoot 9mm handguns at toilets. 12 years old carrying a handgun around all day in his waist band.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/10/16/boy-12...
Alright since nobody has a comment about the abysmal test scores at Proviso West does anybody ever remember anybody with a gun at MacArthur?
We had guns at PW in the early 80s but it was like two real nutjobs. Nobody said anything because they had their own agendas and didn't want to get shot. I don't remember anybody at MacArthur having a knife. Anyone? Guns, knives when you went to school at either school? Open forum, lets hear how OK the old hood still is from people in different States? Many kids packing where you are in Jr. High? Metal detectors at MacArthur? Anyone?
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#463 Oct 17, 2013
Well I'll yell you what they are learning at MacArthur. How to carry and shoot 9mm handguns at toilets. 12 years old carrying a handgun around all day in his waist band.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/10/16/boy-12...
Alright since nobody has a comment about the abysmal test scores at Proviso West does anybody ever remember anybody with a gun at MacArthur?
We had guns at PW in the early 80s but it was like two real nutjobs. Nobody said anything because they had their own agendas and didn't want to get shot. I don't remember anybody at MacArthur having a knife. Anyone? Guns, knives when you went to school at either school? Open forum, lets hear how OK the old hood still is from people in different States? Many kids packing where you are in Jr. High? Metal detectors at MacArthur? Anyone?
The above link to the News Story of the Kid bringing a hand gun to MacArthur Jr High School just burns me up.We pay huge property taxes for this? I went to Sunnyside/Macarthur during the 1960's & 70's as a youth & cannot even recall even remotely such an incident.This just shows the LOW IQ of these Apes & their Children that have moved into the Berkeley/Hillside/Bellwood area,this just makes me sick to my stomach!

Oak Brook, IL

#464 Oct 17, 2013
Scrubber you guys do pay huge taxes for what is basically a huge ghetto. That is my point about both of these stories. Both of them have links to reputable sources. I went to MacArthur for 7th and 8th grade and then to PW 80-84. I have seen my buddies property tax bill on Spencer and its ridiculous. Property Taxes:$6,846.38(2010) That is my question that I threw out there. What are these kids learning? 75% GRADUATE from PW functionally illiterate. 80% that GRADUATE cannot do simple math without a calculator. Since there are 19 teachers per student and 3% of the students GRADUATE being able to go to Triton basically you have an average class size of say 20? My buddies tax bill has gone higher. For what? I can get 10X for my house here and my taxes are less then that. That is part of the problem of my friend shooting the video. The mall is rubble. If we meet during the week there is a chance of running into a bunch of PW students. His video camera is expensive. While PW may have metal detectors say a group of 10 or 15 PW students walk up and start acting like they do on the news. Getting in the frame and making gang signs? Then it gets really serious really quickly. That's why I want to do it on a weekend. Hey at least the kid at MacArthur actually hit the toilet and nobody got hurt. That's a good thing but it just shows you who have said its not so bad that it is. When you say there were shots fired at MacArthur but nobody got hurt. That's not so bad?
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#465 Oct 17, 2013
Bellwood Memories wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Scrubber59 that does help. And it makes a little more sense because I would have been 11 or 12 at the time. Making the trek from 51st. Ave. as a 8 or 9 year old seemed a little off. Even though as I stated before the surrounding communities were ultra-safe back then. Thanks for the information you remember a lot more than I do -- we moved to California in 1971 and I moved back to Illinois in 2005. Nice talking with you!
Hello Once again,I have narrowed down the date that the Hillside Shopping Center was finally enclosed.It was April of 1967.You can see more info about this by looking at The Website called Mall Hall of Fame for more info.This guy who posts this website is really good,do not under estimate him!I am glad to be of help.Look under his directory.Happy surfing!
Vic

Boulder City, NV

#466 Oct 20, 2013
Dave wrote:
The restaurant I think you are referring to was Tally Ho. I used to buy a frozen cherry drink and slice of pizza after school almost every day at Woolworth's. And the smell of the popcorn place where you could watch them make carmel corn. I can only think of one jeans place, US Male. Did you ever go to the toy store that wouldn't let kids browse? My one celebrity sighting at the mall was Stan Mikita of the Blackhawks. I sure mis the mall and the theater. They were a big part of my youth. I just wish I could find any pictures of either on the Internet. The search goes on....
Stan,Bobby Hull,Keith Magnuson and goalie Glenn Hall all had apartments behind Doc Seno and Suchy on Butterfield rd back in the 60's
in the early 70's I threw a hand full of Spanish peanuts (don't remeber if I bought them at the nut shop in Woolworth's or the one in Goldblatt's)on a Woolworth's pizza and we watched to see people complain but they all went back to get another slice...we always wondered if they knew there were peanuts on it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is Campanelli necessary? 16 hr giuffre 1
Mayor Serpico's piggy bank (Mar '10) 17 hr leankat 59
Gone but not forgotten (May '09) 17 hr leankat 665
who is THE U? (May '10) Sat be better 278
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) Sat family friend 1,472
Elmhurst Police can go suck a.... (Oct '09) Sat Elm Res 32
Hillside Academy more like jail than school (May '07) Apr 24 joshua 187
More from around the web

Hillside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE