What happened to the Hillside Shoppin...

Homer Glen, IL

#21 Apr 23, 2008
I loved DelMar's, ate many great cheeseburgers there!

Bensenville, IL

#22 Jul 31, 2008
I'm a few months late to the party that is this discussion about the Hillside Shopping Center, but I have a few stores to add to the list!

Back in the '70s, my mom worked at the Singer fabric store that was in the center. There was also the Whale's Eye pet store. My grandmother worked at Goldblatt's, and an aunt worked at Tally-Ho. Anyone else remember seeing Santa who was always in his chair in the mall's Christmas display just outside of Woolworth's? The Easter Bunny always set up shop in the same location, and I remember there'd always be baby chicks on display.

I think the hot-dog stand was called The Dog Patch, but I could be wrong...

Anyone remember the huge neon sign for the mall that sat atop the Dominick's store across the parking lot?!

I've tried on several occasions to locate photos of the shopping center on-line but have come up empty...
Short Busser

#23 Aug 7, 2008
I have been searching for atleast one lousy photo of the Hillside Mall for years now, and still haven't found one. This is really sad. That mall was there for 30 years, and it's been completely erased from history. What a shame!
concerned in hillside

United States

#24 Aug 11, 2008
yea we are gettin a new mall on manheim and 290 so close to the highschool lets see how long it takes before the gangbangers have it torn up or hangin out back of the new mall and selling drugs in the parking lot like most of the malls around here
HIllside Mall

Mundelein, IL

#25 Sep 25, 2008
Can't forget Sal's Finer Foods - One stop shop for buying beer underage. Woolworth's - Steak-Em sandwichs, Danny's Dog Patch- Moose Vasco family ran the place. Never forget those days at the Center. I have been in the Mendard's and it feels as if I am back in Goldblatt's. The only difference Joe the Cop isn't scanning the aisles for shop lifters.

Fairport, NY

#26 Nov 17, 2008
Wow! This is fun reading this.
I grew up in Berkeley, graduated Proviso in 1959. My first job was at Goldblatts in 1958. I remember all the stores, expecially the Caramel Corn shop! My first charge account was at William A. Lewis. I visited recently (from Arizona) and was shocked when I saw the shopping center was gone. Before the Hillside Shopping Center was built, the only place I remember shopping at was Oak Park.

Chicago, IL

#27 Jan 9, 2009

Palatine, IL

#28 Jan 19, 2009
Ha! What a clown you are "Westside". To even think for one moment that PRESIDENT Obama can do any more harm than your lethargic, irrational, imbecile of an EX-predident did over the past eight years. There is no way to go but up! And luckily we have a tenacious, intelligent, forward thinking President to take us there.

I revel in your criticism of black people!!

Willowbrook, IL

#29 Jan 20, 2009
Sounds like I'm the oldest, gradutated in 69 from PW. Lot's of great memories too. Walking up and down Bellwood Ave. meeting my best friend. Walking home from school down frontage Road to Mannheim and hanging out at the mall after school with a cherry coke and french fries.
I worked at the Ben Franklin on Cermak Road. My sis waitressed at the Del Mar and met her husband there. Small world.

#30 Jan 20, 2009
Hi, Glo! I graduated IHM in '69. We practically LIVED at Del Mar's. I remember the Ben Franklin too. As you say, lots of good memories......

Joliet, IL

#31 Jan 21, 2009
Nic wrote:
Ha! What a clown you are "Westside". To even think for one moment that PRESIDENT Obama can do any more harm than your lethargic, irrational, imbecile of an EX-predident did over the past eight years. There is no way to go but up! And luckily we have a tenacious, intelligent, forward thinking President to take us there.
I revel in your criticism of black people!!
A most articulate, well-reasoned response. I am always impressed by the intellect of Obamamaniacs. I will give Obama the same respect the Obamamaniacs gave (and give) Bush. None.

United States

#32 Jan 28, 2009
Let's not forget the furniture store near the center of the mall. That store had a basement level, if I recall.

#33 Jan 28, 2009
Ok here's some trivia. Does anyone remember the Big Top. It was on the other side of the expressway, across from the mall. It was a venue where they had shows. My mom and taken my cousin and me to see the Three Stoogies there. I can't find anything on that place.

Chicago, IL

#34 Feb 10, 2009
I saw the Stooges there too about 1965. I even got to shake Larry's hand. Their show suked tho- there were no sound effects for the slapstick, and it was mostly vaudeville style joke telling. The Big Top didn't last long, only a few years.

#35 Feb 19, 2009
I dont remember much of the show but I still have a ticket stub. On the back of the ticket my mom had written "Shook hands with Moe". I'm guessing you and I were standing within a close proximity of each other.
Former SJC student

Wheaton, IL

#36 Feb 24, 2009
former bellwoodian wrote:
did you know my sisters. my two elder sisters graduated from pw in 74 and 76. they both graduated from st. johns. leslie and patti andrews.
My friend was out with the Andrew sisters Friday night. They have a facebook page under St. John Chrysostom.
The Curator

United States

#37 Feb 25, 2009
Hello All,

I have been informed about your discussion forum about Chi-Town's HILLSIDE CENTER / MALL.

I wanted you guys to know that I have put together a retrospective on the center that is a part of my "mid-century shopping mall museum" website....the MALL HALL OF FAME;

The HILLSIDE article is found in the January 2008 archive.

I hope that you all enjoy the trip down shopping mall memory lane.

The Curator

Lexington Park, MD

#38 Feb 26, 2009
what it use to be, I remember before cock robin, there use to be a garden shop on that spot family use to go down there on halloween and get pumpims, let's not forget about mickeys down the road,

Carol Stream, IL

#39 Mar 18, 2009
Graduated PW 1973. Spent many hours ditching school hanging out at the "mall"... My mom worked at Wm. A. Lewis ("Where the models buy their clothes").

If you're interested, there's a Hillside Mall group on Facebook.

Sandy's was converted to Playback...

I remember buying Christmas trees at Goldblatt's (I think)...

Henderson, NV

#40 Mar 20, 2009
The restaurant I think you are referring to was Tally Ho. I used to buy a frozen cherry drink and slice of pizza after school almost every day at Woolworth's. And the smell of the popcorn place where you could watch them make carmel corn. I can only think of one jeans place, US Male. Did you ever go to the toy store that wouldn't let kids browse? My one celebrity sighting at the mall was Stan Mikita of the Blackhawks. I sure mis the mall and the theater. They were a big part of my youth. I just wish I could find any pictures of either on the Internet. The search goes on....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bridgeview doesn't even warn people (Jul '14) 8 hr MohamidEatsPork 2
Gone but not forgotten (May '09) 9 hr Anonymous 692
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 14 hr Sure 1,555
To whom it may concern. Fri Mary b gilloway 1
News Chicago's Kiddieland Amusement Park. 1928 -2009... (Oct '09) Fri Alfred 14
News Republican Congressional Candidate Says 'Holoca... (Mar '12) Nov 26 Gordon Gecko 15
Marlene Alvarez from Cicero Nov 26 Lady 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hillside Mortgages