Cemetery crime: Thieves prey on mourners

Cemetery crime: Thieves prey on mourners

There are 31 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 16, 2009, titled Cemetery crime: Thieves prey on mourners. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Summertime is a high-traffic season at area cemeteries, both for people visiting loved ones' graves and the thieves preying on them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Turnaround Tim

Chicago, IL

#27 Jun 17, 2009
I hope this happens to the families of the thieves. And real soon!
rusty

Mooseheart, IL

#28 Jun 17, 2009
Turnaround Tim wrote:
I hope this happens to the families of the thieves. And real soon!
I agree...Vengeance is mine...and oh so sweet!
Tom Araya

Addison, IL

#29 Jun 17, 2009
Melvin wrote:
<quoted text>
You defective clown......
?
my2cents

United States

#30 Jun 17, 2009
Since my dad passed away 2 yrs ago I've had occasion to visit him from time to time in the cemetary. POINT 1. The closer your loved one is to the road, the bigger the chance their vase will get stolen. I've seen a lot of it, esp. the old graves no on visits anymore. I think thieves probably hone in on those as no one will report it. No one visits anymore. POINT 2. I've NEVER ever left my car, out of my sight or unlocked. Anything I don't take to gravesite I lock in the trunk. POINT 3. There ARE horrid icky people who use the cemetary for unsavory reasons
Ski

Coal City, IL

#31 Jun 17, 2009
Tom Araya wrote:
Watch out for spooks!
I don't think you should make racial slurs! Shame on you!
Carl

Chicago, IL

#32 Jun 17, 2009
The cops need to set up a sting operation.
Michael

United States

#33 Jun 17, 2009
Melvin wrote:
<quoted text>
You defective clown......
I AGREE!!!
Tom Araya

Addison, IL

#34 Jun 17, 2009
Ski wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you should make racial slurs! Shame on you!
I'm shocked that my earlier comment about watching out for spooks wasn't edited!
and also

Palos Hills, IL

#35 Jun 24, 2009
my2cents wrote:
Since my dad passed away 2 yrs ago I've had occasion to visit him from time to time in the cemetary. POINT 1. The closer your loved one is to the road, the bigger the chance their vase will get stolen. I've seen a lot of it, esp. the old graves no on visits anymore. I think thieves probably hone in on those as no one will report it. No one visits anymore. POINT 2. I've NEVER ever left my car, out of my sight or unlocked. Anything I don't take to gravesite I lock in the trunk. POINT 3. There ARE horrid icky people who use the cemetary for unsavory reasons
Excellent advice. And try not to go alone. Go with someone, or find someone else that also visits another site at the same cemetery. When i go, if i see someone alone, especially the elderly, i kinda wait until they are safely back in their car. Especially follow the above advise, during the most visited holidays,( Mom's Day, Dad's Day). There's more people there but also, more places for them to fit in and sneak up on your car. Tell your GrandParents.
Mike

Rockford, IL

#36 Jun 25, 2009
Put a sleepy but vicious dog in your car. When the aszhole reaches inside you can be sure he will never play the piano again.

Since: Oct 08

Waukegan, IL

#37 Jul 4, 2009
The 9 millimeter that I carry should be enough of a deterrent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Red-light cameras rake in millions for Chicago ... 26 min Valerie 10
Lower-ends a drifter lookin for dick 1 hr Valerie 3
The Adult Bookstore in 2017 1 hr Valerie 7
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) 1 hr Valerie 969
15th ABS WHAT REALLY GOES ON THERE! (Feb '09) 1 hr Valerie 38
Illegal Immigrants 2 hr Valerie 21
News Dumbing down high school 2 hr Want Nude Cobbles 7

Hillside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance