Cemetery crime: Thieves prey on mourners

Cemetery crime: Thieves prey on mourners

There are 31 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 16, 2009, titled Cemetery crime: Thieves prey on mourners. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Summertime is a high-traffic season at area cemeteries, both for people visiting loved ones' graves and the thieves preying on them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pearl

Lisle, IL

#2 Jun 16, 2009
euuuuuuuu
JOE 63

Quincy, IL

#4 Jun 16, 2009
so sad you never know who is a cop . undercover officerswill be out in force.
Ouchbabe

Palatine, IL

#6 Jun 17, 2009
why? people are idiots, must the hope and change crowd once again!
Rebney

Germantown, WI

#7 Jun 17, 2009
Maybe it's the ghosts of departed loved ones needing a little spending money on the other side.

Just kidding. Sad but true--you have to be on your guard all the time, even cemeteries.

“I'm a knucklehead!”

Since: Apr 08

Lake In The Hills, IL

#8 Jun 17, 2009
not to mention the robbing of mausoleum crypts- looking for jewelry, etc. it does not happen often, but when it does, it's nasty.

and don't forget the occasional break-in of crypts for vodoo/satanic purposes...i don't have to go into further details, you know what i mean.
jahyree

Elmhurst, IL

#9 Jun 17, 2009
When you think about it it is so very easy. Hide behind a marker until the people exit the car. This is truly sad. Please lock your car and DON'T leave anything in plain view
Tom Araya

Addison, IL

#10 Jun 17, 2009
jimkube wrote:
not to mention the robbing of mausoleum crypts- looking for jewelry, etc. it does not happen often, but when it does, it's nasty.
and don't forget the occasional break-in of crypts for vodoo/satanic purposes...i don't have to go into further details, you know what i mean.
Those vodoo(sic)/satanic rituals are a real problem considering that they pretty much NEVER happen!
Tom Araya

Addison, IL

#11 Jun 17, 2009
This has been happening for years down in NOLA. Almost all of the sarcophagi are above ground so there are unlimited places too hide. It is unfortunate because the cemetaries are a major tourist draw. Most of the cemetaries are located in bad(minority)areas therefore the tourists who visit are easy marks.

“I'm a knucklehead!”

Since: Apr 08

Lake In The Hills, IL

#13 Jun 17, 2009
Tom Araya wrote:
<quoted text>Those vodoo(sic)/satanic rituals are a real problem considering that they pretty much NEVER happen!
tell that to the people in new orleans.
Gallup Rasmussen

United States

#14 Jun 17, 2009
9 out 10 grave robbers voted for Obama!
Depot Jim

United States

#16 Jun 17, 2009
This is really a sad story. My parents and some of my relatives are buried in Memorial Park in Skokie. We have some real sick thieves here that need to be locked up.
Goopedup

Plano, TX

#17 Jun 17, 2009
Praying on the grieving and selling vases for scrap - nice!!!WELCOME TO CHICAGO!!!
Goopedup

Plano, TX

#19 Jun 17, 2009
Gallup Rasmussen wrote:
9 out 10 grave robbers voted for Obama!
Hey, unfair - you can't pick on the Obysmal lemmings, they are just trying to make ends meet until their next handout.
jac holtzman

Chicago, IL

#20 Jun 17, 2009
Gravy Robbers?
Firstname Lastname

Chicago, IL

#21 Jun 17, 2009
This is a grave threat to the community.
Melvin

Louisville, KY

#22 Jun 17, 2009
Tom Araya wrote:
This has been happening for years down in NOLA. Almost all of the sarcophagi are above ground so there are unlimited places too hide. It is unfortunate because the cemetaries are a major tourist draw. Most of the cemetaries are located in bad(minority)areas therefore the tourists who visit are easy marks.
You defective clown......
SharonD

Hampshire, IL

#23 Jun 17, 2009
Time to start leaving a decoy purse in your unlocked car, one that sends out a screaming alarm when opened.
Cicero Unga

United States

#24 Jun 17, 2009
Why don't the ghosts of the loved ones protect the visitors from this ?
Mike

Chicago, IL

#25 Jun 17, 2009
How big of a P.O.S. do you have to be to steal stuff from people visiting a cemetery?
rusty

Mooseheart, IL

#26 Jun 17, 2009
Talk about your "underground" operation! Seriously, here's a lesson in Reality 101...now listen up...don't ever assume that certain individuals will not take advantage of specific situations where one is vulnerable...because they WILL!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is Pete Venutes and Debbie and Tina (Oct '16) 1 hr WILDBILL 21
Narcissistic personality disorder - what starte... 1 hr True facts 2
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 18 hr Greed Over People 10,195
News 2 dead, 6 others wounded during city shootings (Aug '16) Tue Fordian hesterdam 4
Increasing number of blacks and Hispanics movin... (May '08) Tue God Is Just 204
spent my summers and winters here from '70 to '... Mon neighborhood down... 2
News Noise from new O'Hare runway angers Park Ridge ... (Dec '08) Mon Davy 199

Hillside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hillside Mortgages