Tavern Fire Burns For Hours

Full story: NBC 5 Chicago 20
Emergency crews remained at the scene of a four-alarm fire at a neighborhood tavern in west suburban Hillside Tuesday morning. Full Story
Anonymous

United States

#1 Jul 29, 2008
Hope it wasn't caused by smoking....since they were still allowing smoking in their bar.
Just My Opinion

Carol Stream, IL

#2 Jul 29, 2008
well, at least there were no injuries reported as of yet.
JER

Stamford, CT

#3 Jul 29, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
Hope it wasn't caused by smoking....since they were still allowing smoking in their bar.
Why shouldn't they allow smoking? It is thier business not the state's. They need to be allowed to cater to the client. The smoking ban in IL is wrong. It takes personal freedoms away from business owners to run their business' they way they want. I'm not advocating smoking. Just the rights of the business' adversely effected by it. If I owned a business in IL I would also have them in court for creating an environment that has caused lost earnings. Every business should sue IL gov. If you want to cater to smokers you should be allowed to. If you wish to be smoke free you should be allowed to. The government should not be telling them who they can have as clients.
Robert

Aurora, IL

#4 Jul 29, 2008
JER wrote:
<quoted text>
Why shouldn't they allow smoking? It is thier business not the state's. They need to be allowed to cater to the client. The smoking ban in IL is wrong. It takes personal freedoms away from business owners to run their business' they way they want. I'm not advocating smoking. Just the rights of the business' adversely effected by it. If I owned a business in IL I would also have them in court for creating an environment that has caused lost earnings. Every business should sue IL gov. If you want to cater to smokers you should be allowed to. If you wish to be smoke free you should be allowed to. The government should not be telling them who they can have as clients.
If you need to smoke, Go outside for 5mins, Fill your lungs with tar and nicotine, then go back in and have a beer. Going outside to smoke will not kill you, the smoking most likely will, so why impose your secondary smoke on us who want to enjoy a beer or glass of wine without you blowing smoke in our direction.

And before you spout off, I smoked for 18 years, Quit for health reasons and have not regretted it for the past 6 years. One day I hope you realize what smoking is doing to you and come to your senses and quit, until then, Smoke outside and enjoy.
Just My Opinion

Carol Stream, IL

#5 Jul 29, 2008
JER wrote:
<quoted text>
Why shouldn't they allow smoking? It is thier business not the state's. They need to be allowed to cater to the client. The smoking ban in IL is wrong. It takes personal freedoms away from business owners to run their business' they way they want. I'm not advocating smoking. Just the rights of the business' adversely effected by it. If I owned a business in IL I would also have them in court for creating an environment that has caused lost earnings. Every business should sue IL gov. If you want to cater to smokers you should be allowed to. If you wish to be smoke free you should be allowed to. The government should not be telling them who they can have as clients.
\

no one told them they can't have smokers in their business... just that they can't actually light up inside of it. It makes for a healthier environment for all customers and workers alike.
JER

Stamford, CT

#6 Jul 29, 2008
I don't smoke. Never have. You are missing the point. Don't care if you smoke or not. There is no conclusive evidence of 2nd hand smoke causing illness. Don't even go to the bogus reports, because even the most quoted report by activists claims it is in conclusive. Why should a shop keep send thier customer outside. They shouldn't. If you don't like smoke, don't go where there is smoking. But don't force a shop keep to change his poiicies against his will.

And no it doesn't make for a healthier environment. You haven't done your homework. You are believing propaganda instead of your own research. Smoking is smelly, dirty and not attractive. However someone smoking in the same bar or restaurant as I am in, doesn't effect my health.
Robert

Aurora, IL

#7 Jul 29, 2008
JER wrote:
I don't smoke. Never have. You are missing the point. Don't care if you smoke or not. There is no conclusive evidence of 2nd hand smoke causing illness. Don't even go to the bogus reports, because even the most quoted report by activists claims it is in conclusive. Why should a shop keep send thier customer outside. They shouldn't. If you don't like smoke, don't go where there is smoking. But don't force a shop keep to change his poiicies against his will.
And no it doesn't make for a healthier environment. You haven't done your homework. You are believing propaganda instead of your own research. Smoking is smelly, dirty and not attractive. However someone smoking in the same bar or restaurant as I am in, doesn't effect my health.
Great, Good for you for not smoking, The majority of us would prefer to have our drink and or dinner breathing fresh air vs someone smoking.
Robert

Aurora, IL

#8 Jul 29, 2008
And yes it foes effect my health and my wife's heath, she has asthma. So do not sit there and tell me it does not effect peoples health.
Robert

Aurora, IL

#9 Jul 29, 2008
(DOES) typo
Robert

Aurora, IL

#10 Jul 29, 2008
BTW: Here is the homework:

The Risks of Secondhand Smoke to a Child

Low birthweight for gestational age
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)- children whose mothers smoked during pregnancy have an increased risk of SIDS.
The EPA estimates that passive smoking is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 of these infections in children under 18 months annually
Asthma - According to the EPA, between 200,000 and 1,000,000 kids with asthma have their condition worsened by secondhand smoke every year. Also, passive smoking may also be responsible for thousands of new cases of asthma every year
Chronic respiratory symptoms such as cough and wheezing may be attributed to secondhand smoke.
Children who breathe in secondhand smoke are more likely to suffer from dental cavities, eye and nose irritation, and irritability
Middle ear infections - exposure to ETS causes buildup of fluid in the middle ear, resulting in 700,000 to 1.6 million physician office visits yearly

How Secondhand Smoke Can Affect the Heart

Heart disease mortality - an estimated 35,000 to 62,000 deaths are caused from heart disease in people who are not current smokers, but who are exposed to ETS
Acute and chronic coronary heart disease
Passive smoking has been linked to the narrowing of the carotid arteries, which carry blood to the brain
Exposure to secondhand smoke hastens hardening of the arteries, a condition known as artherosclerosis
Continual exposure to ETS has been shown to nearly double the chance of heart attack
JER

Stamford, CT

#11 Jul 29, 2008
No it doesn't effect MY health. If it effects yours don't go where there is smoke. The owner wants to cater to smokers. Go to the owner that caters to non-smokers. btw. I don't mind the typo's. we all make 'em.
Just My Opinion

Carol Stream, IL

#12 Jul 29, 2008
JER wrote:
I don't smoke. Never have. You are missing the point. Don't care if you smoke or not. There is no conclusive evidence of 2nd hand smoke causing illness. Don't even go to the bogus reports, because even the most quoted report by activists claims it is in conclusive. Why should a shop keep send thier customer outside. They shouldn't. If you don't like smoke, don't go where there is smoking. But don't force a shop keep to change his poiicies against his will.
And no it doesn't make for a healthier environment. You haven't done your homework. You are believing propaganda instead of your own research. Smoking is smelly, dirty and not attractive. However someone smoking in the same bar or restaurant as I am in, doesn't effect my health.
just for your information, my husband, and two of my kids have asthma. so them sitting in a restaurant filled with smoke DOES effect their health. If an establishment goes with a nonsmoking rule, then ALL customers can go there, just the smokers have to go outside to pollute their own lungs and it will not effect anyone else. If they are allowed to smoke inside, the nonsmokers have no choice but to breathe in the smoke filled air.

On the other hand, I do feel that (if the business chooses to) the businesses should be allowed to create a room just for smokers, that has a seperate ventilation system in it. Yes it would be expensive, but then everyone could be indoors without getting in each others way. No one is stopping the smokers from lighting up, they just can't do it inside of public establishments. They cannot pollute the lungs of those who choose to remain smoke free.
Robert

Aurora, IL

#13 Jul 29, 2008
JER, If you do not mind the smoke and the health risks then that is your choice, Myself, I will avoid any establishment that allows smoking.

It's a matter of time before the smoking ban becomes nationwide.
Just My Opinion

Carol Stream, IL

#14 Jul 29, 2008
Robert wrote:
JER, If you do not mind the smoke and the health risks then that is your choice, Myself, I will avoid any establishment that allows smoking.
It's a matter of time before the smoking ban becomes nationwide.
that will be a day to celebrate
JER

Stamford, CT

#15 Jul 29, 2008
Again you folks are missing the point. If tomorrow the government decides... bad breath is dangerous and leads to heart disease (which it does, ADA germs and such enter the blood stream, etc.) and breathing in someone elses breath or secondary breathing is harmful. Then those who chose not to brush or they ate an onion or whatever will then have to go outside to breathe. Or establishments will be required not to server certain cheeses (limburg) or onions, or garlic etc. It is a slippery slope when you freely give away your rights. Yes I realize the example is extreme and however the people running our government are not the smartest people in the land and they may go along which such things. This is NOT about smoking. It is about freedom of choice. Btw Gov Blagoy.. says you have to stop wearing blue now as it can cause blindness... :)
Just My Opinion

Carol Stream, IL

#16 Jul 29, 2008
first, second smoke DOES cause health problems for alot of people.
second, I would love a link to the info youposted about bad breath.
JER

Stamford, CT

#17 Jul 29, 2008
The American Dental Association. Bad breath caused by disease, rotting teeth etc. You'll have to google them. btw it is a ridiculous extreme. Don't kick your friends with bad breath out of your house.
Just My Opinion

Carol Stream, IL

#18 Jul 29, 2008
JER wrote:
The American Dental Association. Bad breath caused by disease, rotting teeth etc. You'll have to google them. btw it is a ridiculous extreme. Don't kick your friends with bad breath out of your house.
Nah, wouldn't kick them out of the house, but was gonna use it to convince my 9 year old that brushing her teeth at least twice a day is good for her health, not just her teeth. I was going for the scare tactic.
JER

Stamford, CT

#19 Jul 29, 2008
http://www.ada.org/public/topics/antibiotics....

JMO here is a start for ya. They say plaque can also house these germs and bacteria. That's why the 9 y o needs to brush. g'nite.
Windy

United States

#20 Jul 29, 2008
JER wrote:
Again you folks are missing the point. If tomorrow the government decides... bad breath is dangerous and leads to heart disease (which it does, ADA germs and such enter the blood stream, etc.) and breathing in someone elses breath or secondary breathing is harmful. Then those who chose not to brush or they ate an onion or whatever will then have to go outside to breathe. Or establishments will be required not to server certain cheeses (limburg) or onions, or garlic etc. It is a slippery slope when you freely give away your rights. Yes I realize the example is extreme and however the people running our government are not the smartest people in the land and they may go along which such things. This is NOT about smoking. It is about freedom of choice. Btw Gov Blagoy.. says you have to stop wearing blue now as it can cause blindness...:)
JER I totally get your point and totally agree with you...and no, I am not a smoker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Italians embarrassed by Serpico? (May '13) 1 hr WILDBILL 20
Scavo soon to be back on the loose (Oct '13) 2 hr MP shiznit 17
Babe Serpico Statue of Felons 2 hr MP shiznit 4
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr maurizio74 49,849
Wildbills Lover 7 hr bst 2
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 15 hr justice 1,219
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 20 hr Blwlgo 1,928
•••
•••
•••

Hillside Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hillside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hillside News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hillside
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••