Michael Kuryla Jr. dies at 84; sailor survived sinking of India...

Full story: Los Angeles Times
Michael Kuryla Jr., one of 317 sailors who survived the sinking of the ill-fated Navy cruiser Indianapolis during World War II and later bonded with other activists to exonerate their ship's captain, died of cancer Oct. Full Story
Ken Witkowski

Naperville, IL

#1 Nov 13, 2009
I was saddened today to learn of Mr. Kuryla's death. Knowing him since I was a child he could only be decribed as one of the kindest men I have ever known. I wish his service to the Hillside Fire Department would also have been mentioned. I came to know Mike through my Dad. Mike said that he and my father had ridden to many a fire standing together on the back of a fire truck.

Mike gave me my start in public safety a young member of the Hillside ESDA; Mike was Director at the time. I would go on to join the Chicago Police, and eventually become a public safty director (chief of police) myself in Arizona. Thanks for everything Mr. Kuryla, it was my honor to know a True American Hero like you. My prayers and best wishes to the entire Kuryla Family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
21 confirmed street gangs operating in Cicero. (Feb '11) 31 min tell the truth 39
Hookers / Prostitudes (Jul '10) 39 min tell the truth 31
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) 19 hr People 897
Boycott Happiness is pets-Lombard (Dec '09) 23 hr Mona 137
willow springs mayor (Mar '14) Mon kerupt 6
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) Mon REWARD 1,433
Review: US Navy Transport Mon Ramin 1
Hillside Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hillside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance