Steve Gomolka

Watchung, NJ

#1 Jun 17, 2012
The blogging movement is picking up speed as businesses begin to realize the benefits of blogging. Discover what a business blog can do for you.

What is a Blog?

According to Pyra Labs Blogger, "A blog is a web page made up of usually short, frequently updated posts that are arranged chronologically-like a what's new page or a journal." The term is actually weblogs coined by Jorn Barger in 1997.

The boom of weblogs happened in 1999 when several companies & developers made easy blogging software and tools. Since 1999, the number of blogs on the Internet has exploded from a few thousand to over 100 million.

Blogs can fall into two general categories.

Personal Blogs: a mixture of a personal diary, opinion posts and research links.

Business Blogs: a corporate tool for communicating with customers or employees to share knowledge and expertise.

Business blogs are sweeping the business community. Blogs are an excellent method to share a company's expertise, build additional web traffic, and connect with potential customers..

What does Blogging Provide to Small Business?

Blog software is easy to use. Simply write your thoughts, link to resources, and publish to your blog, all at the push of a few buttons. Blog software companies such as: Movable Type, Blogger.com and Typepad all offer easy blogging tools to get started.
Blogging is a low-cost alternative to having a web presence. For small business owners without the time to learn web html or the money to hire a designer/developer, blogging offers an inexpensive method to get your company's name out on the Internet.
Updating the weblog is a much quicker process than contacting a web designer with changes or doing the coding and uploading yourself.
Business blogs provide your small business with a chance to share your expertise and knowledge with a larger audience. A powerful benefit for consultants and knowledge workers.
Examples of Business Blogs

Gizmodo is a weblog about everything about gadgets and gizmos for those who want to remain on the cutting edge of consumer electronics. As a web magazine, Gizmodo is quickly building a specialized audience in consumer electronics with an advertising business model.

Research Buzz is an excellent resource tool for Internet research. An information provider, Research Buzz provides advertising and a special paid edition of their newsletter.

Joel on Software is a blog that displays Joel Spolsky's knowledge and views on software development. The blog acts as a method for Joel to highlight his expertise and promote his small business, Fog Creek Software.

Jupiter Research, a top business market research company has a blog for each company analyst. The weblog provides analysts with the means to connect with their audience on a regular basis.

MacroMedia the software company provides a customer service blog for users and staff to share solutions in an organized fashion.

Blogs do have a downside. Blogging does not provide the functionality of web pages, has limits for e-commerce solutions and can be time-consuming with regular posts. But with minimal costs, it maybe advantageous to start blogging. Is your small business blog ready?
Steve Gomolka

Watchung, NJ

#2 Jun 17, 2012
It seems lately that you can't turn around without finding a blog on the Web. But what exactly is a blog? Depending upon who you talk to, a blog is a personal Web diary, a collection of short, dated discussions with commentary, or a way of publishing news and information.

Well, now the Web Design/HTML site has a weblog and it is fairly similar to all the other weblogs you may have seen out on the Internet. But if you're not familiar with weblogs, you may not understand what all the pieces of the puzzle are.

In the screen shot in the upper right of this article, I've detailed the primary sections of a weblog. A through D are found on every post to the blog. E, F, and G are found at the bottom of the main blog page.

Parts of a Weblog

A - The entry title
This is the title of the blog entry. Most weblogs start their entries with the date and time it was posted. About's style is to post the entry title first. The entry title is always followed by a short paragraph or two about the entry. Sometimes their will be links within the context of the blog entry, and other times, the links will be called out afterwards.

B - The date of the entry
This is hyperlinked to a page with all the blog entries for that day. If you're interested in when most posts are published, you can go to this page to see the time. If you visited the Web Design/HTML site on a specific date, and want to review what was live then - you can go to that date via the calendar listed on any date entry page.

C - The permalink
A permalink is a permanent link to that blog entry. If you want to bookmark or link to a weblog, you need to link to a page that isn't going to change all the time. The permalink gives you something steady and constant.

At the Bottom

The other parts of the Weblog screen capture are at the bottom of the page. They are also common on most weblogs, but their location is not always certain.

E - Syndicate this site
If you have an RSS Aggregator or a tool that can read RSS, you can syndicate any site with this option. This means that you can place the weblog information on your Web site or read it with a special RSS newsreader or content aggregator.

F - XML icon
The XML icon is a graphical representation of the syndicate this site link. It points to the actual RDF or XML file that can be used for syndication. This is found on most sites that run syndicated weblogs.

G - Read archives
The big advantage to weblogs is that anything that is placed on the weblog will be archived. The archives are very interesting to read and give a good sense of how often the blog is updated and if the content is interesting to you.

Other Items

The About Web Design/HTML weblog doesn't include other items that are common on many blogs. Such as:

calendar - while there is a calendar, it is located on the archive pages not on the front page of the weblog
time stamp - as mentioned above, the About Web Design/HTML blog is time stamped only on the archive and dated pages, not on the front page. But many weblogs are updated extremely frequently, and so need the timestamp on the front page.
blogrolls - this is a list of other weblogs that the blog author reads. Some of the Web Design blogs I read are listed in my Web design blogs subject.
Steve Gomolka

Watchung, NJ

#3 Jun 17, 2012
When large enterprises think of content management, they often think of large, all-encompassing systems that will develop, maintain, and manage the content on the Web site. They look to companies like Interwoven and Documentum to create a system that will do everything on their Web site, from the marketing content to the sales on the ecommerce sections of the site.
While this is all very important, many CMS tools are much more complex and expensive for the average small business or individual. This has resulted in small businesses relying on straight HTML and Web development because they can't afford a better tool. And individuals are often forced to either learn HTML and Web development, or use the sometimes inferior tools provided by their ISP for Web page hosting.
But There is a Better Way
Weblogs or "blogs" are a software tool that makes it simple to put content on Web Most weblogs offer features such as:
no HTML required
easy to setup and use
hosting of your pages
nice looking templates
What is a Weblog
Weblogs originated as a form of online diary. Many people use them to record their thoughts and feelings, and many are also used to keep their readers up-to-date with specific topics. The standard use for Weblogs is for short, link-heavy content. But with the tools that are available now, it's easy to create Web sites using the Weblog software as a content management tool, not just for writing "blogs".
Weblogs are often considered to be online diaries or "web pages organized by time". But they can be almost anything you would like them to be. Depending upon how you set up your template you can create a weblog to:
write and post articles
display reviews of movies, books or software
include a quick "what's new" of your Web site
provide tutorials for your customers
display ecommerce merchandise
much more...
Converting a Blog
Using software like Blogger.com makes it easy to create a daily (or more or less often) online diary of your thoughts. But did you know that it's just as easy to create a site like the Web Design site where you write articles and they are listed on your site. Here's how I would convert a Blogger site to look more like About:
Login to Blogger, create an account, and then a new blog
Once inside the new blog, click on "Settings" at the top
In the "Formatting" section, change the "Show" from 7 days to 1 and to "latest posts" on main page.
In the "Archiving" section, change the "Archive Frequency" to Weekly.
Save your changes and go in and write your article.
Then, every week, when you write a new article, your old article page will be replaced by your new one, and (depending upon which template you chose), your old articles will be displayed in the archives section.
The free version of Blogger doesn't allow you to put titles on your posts, but if you know a little HTML, you can do some of that yourself. Or, you can check out some of the other Weblog software that's available.
The other neat thing about the Weblog software is the templates. You can create a template that looks exactly like the rest of your site. But that is another article.
Steve Gomolka

Watchung, NJ

#4 Jun 17, 2012
Very Informative posts I must say, a must for any business owner in todays day and age.
Steve Gomolka

Watchung, NJ

#5 Jun 17, 2012
Very Informative posts I must say, a must for any business owner in todays day and age.
Very Informative posts I must say, a must for any business owner in todays day and age.Very Informative posts I must say, a must for any business owner in todays day and age.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillsborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a girl Oct 9 cutie 1
carrier clinic belle meade nj (Jan '09) Sep 29 kim 89
A Walk Among Violent Action Movies in Princeton Sep '14 Culture Auditor 1
Review: AAA Absolute Clean Air Inc. (NJ, Delawa... (May '10) Sep '14 Last minute reader 101
Delaware River Tubing, 46 percent off sale! Aug '14 Funzie 1
New Jersey's Outlook Eyecare Expands With New L... Jul '14 StaceyDaniell 1
E. Bruns. pill doc still licensed (Feb '06) Mar '14 rhonda e 35

Hillsborough News Video

Hillsborough Dating
Find my Match

Hillsborough Jobs

Hillsborough People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hillsborough News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hillsborough

Personal Finance