Liz

West New York, NJ

#1 Dec 2, 2008
RSL MANAGEMENT: PLEASE READ CAI'S CODE OF ETHICS!
Lou Curtis, a manager at RSL, is a rude, abhorrent individual. Don't expect a courteous response if you have a question about your homeowners' association.
I wish my condo association didn't switch to this management co.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
SallyinSomerset

Fairport, NY

#2 May 19, 2009
I agree that RSL Management offers poor service...my property manager ignores my requests to have things repaired or maintained.
I'm not sure what I'm paying for (other than landscaping and his salary).
John

New York, NY

#3 May 25, 2009
RSL makes many claims on their website that simply are not true:
PROPERTY MANAGEMENT SERVICES
Daily/Weekly Scheduled Inspections (I've never seen this happen. What have I seen? Vent openings on the building that do not have screens on them, allowing birds to enter.)
Another claim on their website:
THE MANAGEMENT TEAM
A team of two management professionals is assigned to your Association to respond quickly to your needs. Our property managers are the best in the business: a select group of senior managers supported by an experienced staff of associate managers and administrators.(Not true. My community has 1 property manager, who doesn't respond right away to requests. There aren't any "associate managers" in their office.) I'm really disappointed with their service, or lack thereof.
The last managment co. we had at least had some integrity...and other managers who were responsive.
Mary

North Bergen, NJ

#4 Jul 13, 2009
Not pleased at all with their service.
Their website claims that they have a "team of property managers", which is not true.(My condo association has only one manager, who doesn't always respond to requests. When he does respond, he's rarely courteous.)
Disappointed

North Bergen, NJ

#5 Jul 19, 2009
I'm not pleased with their service (or lack thereof). The property manager that I deal with isn't courteous or responsive...plus this Co. doesn't always play fair (they avoided paying for repairs/maintenance in a common element). I miss the association's former management co. (they were courteous, responsive and more importantly...fair. They at least were familiar with and honored the condo bylaws). Attn RSL: PLEASE read the CAI's code of ethics and change your ways. Please respect the homeowners (who pay your salary) and honor the bylaws.
Kathy P

Sparta, NJ

#6 Sep 28, 2009
As a Board President working with RSL, I have to say they are a breath of fresh air in their management style. They give tremendous input in managing our property and follow the Board,s directives properly. It seems that many on this website do not understand that the management company must follow the directives of the Board and manage accordingly. So, maybe it's not RSL style, but the Board's management directives.

I totally recommend RSL Management as a superior management company working with the Board in an effort to provide insight and the Pro-Active thinking they advertise.

Kathy P
Liz

Fairport, NY

#7 Jan 22, 2010
Kathy P-

Thanks for commenting. I could only hope that you're this outspoken at your Board meetings.

Of course a Management Co. would be cooperative in your dealings with them. You hired them, of course they would not be disrespectful or uncooperative with you and your Board.

It sounds like you're admitting (& taking responsibility) that your Board's management directives may be the cause of any complaints. Like it or not, it is the responsibility of the Management Co. to see to it that the Board's directives comply with the written by-laws. If you & your Board enforce a directive that isn't in keeping with the Association's responsibilities (as spelled out in the by-laws), & the Management Co. supports this directive, then you're both at fault & need to be reminded of CAI's Community Association Governance Guidelines, as well as the rights of Homeowners.

Homeowners Have the Right To:
Honest, fair and respectful treatment by community leaders and managers.

What this means is that if a homeowner requests proof of a policy in writing, it must be provided to them. Also, a by-law cannot be interpreted one way (for a friend) & then another way just to suit you & your Board's directive and/or budget.

As a homeowner, I do realize that a Management Company must follow the directives of the Board and manage accordingly. However, accredited Management Companies are required to uphold the Professional Manager Code of Ethics.

The Manager Shall:
Comply with current bylaws, standards and practices as may be established from time to time by CAI subject to all federal, state and local laws, ordinances, and regulations in effect where the Manager practices.

Kathy, I encourage you & your Board to visit the Community Associations Institute website. I found it to be quite informative. I now know what guidelines are to be followed by an Association's Board and Management Co., as well as what course of action to take when guidelines are not being followed.

Knowing your rights (as well as your neighbors' rights), and how to responsibly govern a community could only benefit your community as a whole.

Best of luck to you.
Kathy P wrote:
As a Board President working with RSL, I have to say they are a breath of fresh air in their management style. They give tremendous input in managing our property and follow the Board,s directives properly. It seems that many on this website do not understand that the management company must follow the directives of the Board and manage accordingly. So, maybe it's not RSL style, but the Board's management directives.
I totally recommend RSL Management as a superior management company working with the Board in an effort to provide insight and the Pro-Active thinking they advertise.
Kathy P

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillsborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: SIGNATURE DAY SPA (Apr '11) Mar 22 Marriott_guest 11
News Pi, Pie or both? The choice is yours this Pi Day Mar 21 Grenndol 12
News Catholic school asks N.J. teacher to take down ... Mar 13 RalphB 8
Jared Colon Mar 7 Skyler Miller 2
The World Knows the U.S. is being led by Incomp... Mar 6 johnny 2
News Princeton gets $300M book collection, its large... Feb '15 Baptistism by Proxy 1
Christina Stoy (May '13) Feb '15 gorbachev 3
Hillsborough Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hillsborough People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]