First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bob

United States

#1 Dec 5, 2012
It seems like the new coach is a bit of an ass. He made a player remove his jersey so another player could dry the sweat off his hands then the coach throws the shirt back in the players lap. He also was yelling at the player that its not his fault the game wasn't going the way it should he isn't the one playing. It is just as much his fault as it is the players. Does this man not take responsibility he is the one training the team and deciding who to put on the court. If a player keeps turning the ball over or is to short compared to the opposing team he should not be put in much less starting. Hope he pulls his head out of his ass and start taking his part of the blame because he is just as much part of the team as all the players. Wake up.
Past basketball parent

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Dec 5, 2012
Sounds like he is a chip off the old block (Allan Davis).
Bob

United States

#3 Dec 6, 2012
Past basketball parent wrote:
Sounds like he is a chip off the old block (Allan Davis).
Allan Davis seems to be a saint next to this guy.
Concerned Parent

Festus, MO

#4 Dec 6, 2012
I thought that coaches were supposed to be positive role models for students. How on earth do you think that student felt? We teach our kids not to be bullies, but I think this coach falls in to that catergory. If he continues at this pace, the program that Al Davis worked so hard to build will not survive another year.

Sullivan, IL

#5 Dec 6, 2012
maybe he was trained by the girls varsity coach.
Past basketball parent

Omaha, NE

#6 Dec 6, 2012
Al Davis was no fricken saint.

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Dec 6, 2012
I think Allen Davis is a legendary!
X dragon basketball playe

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Dec 6, 2012
Hey "Guest" do you remember when Coach Davis slapped Gabe Stearns in the face during a time out because he made a mistake. Well if you don't a lot of people still do. Yes they just brushed that under the table. Good ole coach Davis.

Since: Jun 12

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Dec 6, 2012
Guest wrote:
I think Allen Davis is a legendary!
Perhaps he is legendary, he could take 5 guys walking down the street and turn them in to fairly good basketball players. The fact remains he was no saint either.

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Dec 6, 2012
I think the reason Allen Davis was allowed to run his program in the manner inwhich he did was because he was homegrown.De Soto's favorite son. I think that made it easier for parents and patrons to turn their heads and ignore the ugliness that went on behind the scenes and sometimes right in front of our eyes. Now we have an outsider picking up where Davis left off and it seems like it is a little harder to swallow what the outsider is dishing out. The only way in my opinion for the abuse to stop is for the parents of the players demand it stop. It has to be all parents not just one or two.It has to start with the coach, and moving up the ladder to the activity director. The building principal,the superintendent, the board of education and even MHSAA. This will go on as long as you the parents allow your children to be abused. Coaches are out to win and will do whatever it takes to do so because it's all about them!!!!
Bob

United States

#11 Dec 6, 2012
This post wasn't suppose to be about the past. We are all to late to change the past lets focus on the future. Lets all hope the new varsity coach sees how he looks to the fans with his actions and words. Maybe he will reflect on his behavior and become a better coach than the present and past coaches from Desoto. We all know there are problems in boys and girls varsity basketball. If the coaches can't stop bullying they should be forced out by the public. We pay them with our tax dollars to bully our children. Thats insane. The coaches should be role models not bullies.
pit crew

Festus, MO

#12 Dec 7, 2012
Let the coaches coach, he's under a lot of pressure trying to fill HUGE shoes. Anyone that took that job had to be prepared for the scrutiny that's going to come by not living up to the high expectations of the community. Coach Davis is the man, and always will be "the man" in desoto, so we have to cut this guy some slack and let him coach! And let's look at this years team as well, does he have the players like coach Davis has had the past few seasons? Doubt it, Give him some time he will get it going!
Bob

United States

#13 Dec 7, 2012
He may have big shoes to fill but don't humiliate any of the players because they didn't bring towels to dry off
Get off your high horse

Columbia, MO

#14 Dec 7, 2012
Maybe these kids could learn some toughness. Its pathetic that you all are trying to start crap with this guy who is doing the best that he can. Boo FREAKING HOO! the kid had to take his jersey off to help out a teammate... I have seen that at football games many times when the best player on the team has a cut and has to come out of the game due to blood on the jersey and the coach has made another player who hasn't played or isn't prepared to play take off his jersey so the best player on the team can continue to play so the team has the best chance to win.... What is going to happen when these kids get in the real world and they might get "bullied as you call it" by their boss? Are you going to come in and ask the boss to take it easy on your son? Maybe parents should stop rasing their kids to be spoiled little pussys that can't take criticism and whine and complain when things don't go their way! You guys judge the new coach by something that happens at a game, but I bet none of you have any idea the amount of time he and the other coaches put in scouting, breaking down film, and really working worth the kids on how to be better basketball players and men... He did the best he could do to solve a situation fast! I guess it would have been better to have the kid that just knocked down 4 three pointers in 2 1/2 minutes come out and put in the kid who isn't ready to play at all!
Bob

United States

#15 Dec 7, 2012
Get off your high horse wrote:
Maybe these kids could learn some toughness. Its pathetic that you all are trying to start crap with this guy who is doing the best that he can. Boo FREAKING HOO! the kid had to take his jersey off to help out a teammate... I have seen that at football games many times when the best player on the team has a cut and has to come out of the game due to blood on the jersey and the coach has made another player who hasn't played or isn't prepared to play take off his jersey so the best player on the team can continue to play so the team has the best chance to win.... What is going to happen when these kids get in the real world and they might get "bullied as you call it" by their boss? Are you going to come in and ask the boss to take it easy on your son? Maybe parents should stop rasing their kids to be spoiled little pussys that can't take criticism and whine and complain when things don't go their way! You guys judge the new coach by something that happens at a game, but I bet none of you have any idea the amount of time he and the other coaches put in scouting, breaking down film, and really working worth the kids on how to be better basketball players and men... He did the best he could do to solve a situation fast! I guess it would have been better to have the kid that just knocked down 4 three pointers in 2 1/2 minutes come out and put in the kid who isn't ready to play at all!
Maybe you should volunteer your shirt for them to dry off with. Then put it back on.
1995 Dragon Center

Pine, CO

#16 Dec 7, 2012
X dragon basketball playe wrote:
Hey "Guest" do you remember when Coach Davis slapped Gabe Stearns in the face during a time out because he made a mistake. Well if you don't a lot of people still do. Yes they just brushed that under the table. Good ole coach Davis.
It wasn’t Gabe S that was "slapped". It was Ron Christopher and it was more of a "get your head out of your ass" nudge. Neither Ron or his parents had a problem with it. Ron went on to have an amazing game and was not humiliated by the incident. I cannot speak for the current coach, but there is a distinct difference between humiliating a player and teaching a player. As a former player that was involved in the program for 20 years, I can say Coach Davis molded many boys into men. It has made me who I am today. Although I don't agree with everything Coach Davis has done over the years, I know that if my character was under scrutiny in the public eye, I am sure everyone would find a flaw and run with. You cannot argue with the success he had. It would have been nice if the administration of DeSoto had wanted to keep a strong basketball tradition going and interview one of their own, but somewhere along the line someone got confused and thought DeSoto is a football school. Best of luck to the new coach.
Get off your high horse

Columbia, MO

#17 Dec 7, 2012
1995 Dragon Center wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn’t Gabe S that was "slapped". It was Ron Christopher and it was more of a "get your head out of your ass" nudge. Neither Ron or his parents had a problem with it. Ron went on to have an amazing game and was not humiliated by the incident. I cannot speak for the current coach, but there is a distinct difference between humiliating a player and teaching a player. As a former player that was involved in the program for 20 years, I can say Coach Davis molded many boys into men. It has made me who I am today. Although I don't agree with everything Coach Davis has done over the years, I know that if my character was under scrutiny in the public eye, I am sure everyone would find a flaw and run with. You cannot argue with the success he had. It would have been nice if the administration of DeSoto had wanted to keep a strong basketball tradition going and interview one of their own, but somewhere along the line someone got confused and thought DeSoto is a football school. Best of luck to the new coach.
I played basketball in high school and I was usually the 7th or 8th player to come in and I certainly knew that I wasn't good enough to be on the floor as much as the other players so if it was me in that situation I would have GLADLY taken my shirt off to help out a team mate by letting him dry his hands off... That is the team concept! If the parent is pissed about the kid riding the bench then they can urge their kid to quit... Everyone on the basketball team has a role, and yes unfortuantely that role sometimes means giving the shirt off your back to help out a teammate who can help win the game.... If you want everyone to have equal playing time and not have to worry about getting too sweaty then why don't you start an intramural league... When I was home for thanksgiving I saw that there is a new youth center at the old parker banks/king dealership, you parents that can't handle a coach that coaches to win and instills that in his players should start a league there.... That sucks that a kid got embarrassed however, I am willing to bet that kid was estatic that his team went on to win the game... I don't know if many of you actually listened to Coach Davis's radio interview (that was around 30 minutes long) when he retired, but he made several references that one of the reasons he didn't want to coach anymore was because the parents! I believe that he even said that parents are "out of control"! 99.9% of the time if parents would just let the coach, coach and let their son or daughter play, everything would be hunky dorey, but for some reason people want everything to be fair and equal.... Why is it so wrong that kids learn at an early age that life isn't fair and that sometimes for the greater good you should offer up your shirtto help out a member of your team! I am willing to bet also that the kid didn't even think that it was that big of a deal that he was asked to give up his jersey for another kid who I understand was "shooting the lights out", the whole thing started probably because the parents were embarrassed because little johnny didn't get in the game and had to give up his jersey for another teammate...

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Dec 7, 2012
And Boo FREAKING HOO to all of the hours spent scouting and breaking down films!!!!! It's not as if he is a volunteer coach, he is being paid!!!!
Concerned Mother

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Dec 7, 2012
being a good coach does not require you to throw common courtesy out the window. Sorry but your analogy above does not work there is a huge difference between having a player give up a jersey for another player and letting a player wipe his sweaty hands on a jersey and throwing it back to the player that is plain disrespect. That is the problem with today's world apparently everyone has forgotten how to be respectful to others. Coaches need to be held to very high standards and should not be allowed to act in this way period this behavior is unacceptable.
Past basketball parent

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Dec 7, 2012
When he slapped Ronnie(your correct it was not Gabe)it was not a nudge. I saw the slap and by god it rocked him. Sure the parents didn't say anything because coach and his Chief of Police dad hushed it up. And by the way if Coach Davis molded you "1995 Dragon Center" they better get a new mold because Davis wasn't man enough to mold crap. But I won't take away that he was a good coach but not a good person. He used those boys on his farm with them thinking that they could help their selves get a chance to play more and that didn't always happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillsboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... 25 min Ronald 507
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 1 hr Mugsy 2,803
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 1 hr White House Muslim 97,004
looking for some one 11 hr Tonylorah 4
Concerned citizen Thu ha 5
where is Lynn messer Sep 17 concerned 10
Cedar valley apartments Sep 15 Please 10
•••
•••
•••

Hillsboro Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hillsboro People Search