Veterinarian withdraws from deal with...

Veterinarian withdraws from deal with Jefferson County

There are 15 comments on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch story from Mar 12, 2010, titled Veterinarian withdraws from deal with Jefferson County. In it, St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that:

Hillsboro a ' The veterinarian expected to be hired to euthanize animals at the Jefferson County Animal Control center withdrew from consideration on Wednesday, saying she was concerned about not having a say over which animals were killed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Keith M

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Mar 22, 2010
I applaud Dr. Ivan for her decision. Her compassion and ethics are unquestionable. I'm so glad to have found her locally here. Her clinic is, unfortunately, one of the businesses targeted for the Byrnes Mill forced annexation and money grab, which will result in higher fees, taxes, etc. for those who have worked so hard to build successful practices and do what they love. Hopefully, some of us can repay the compassion she has by doing what we can to help prevent all the people in that area from being a part of the take-over.

Since: Mar 08

Arnold Mo.

#3 Mar 22, 2010
I will agree Dr. Ivans compassion and ethics are unquestionable. We used to go to her when she was located in Imperial. I still take my dogs to Imperial Animal Hospital as she is now located to far from me. My daughter however still takes her dogs to Dr. Ivan.
MattTucker

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Mar 23, 2010
Keith, please explain how her moral issue Dr. Ivan has with euthanized animals has anything to do with the annexation effort? The STLToday.com article ( http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories... ) has nothing to do with the annexation.

I am a Dr. Ivan client and a Byrnes Mill resident and I will be voting in favor of the annexation.

Thanks,
Matt Tucker
MattTuckerSucks

Buffalo, IA

#5 Mar 24, 2010
If your a client of Dr. Ivan then you will see your next annual pet check-up bill increase. The economy is already in shambles and if the annexation goes through, taxes will increase and all these local small business will tumble. "We the people" of House Springs rely on these small business in hard times. Do you see any type of commercial development in Byrnes Mill??? No, because there isn't a single idiot in the surrounding Jefferson County area that wants anything to do with Byrnes Mill. Byrnes Mill needs to work on improving their own city before trying to take on another. They have a lot of work to do and getting rid of their underqualified Chief of Police is a start.

I absoulutely love Dr. Ivan as a vet. She is far the best vet in this county. I would hate to see her practice suffer from this annexation. Kudos to her for standing by her beliefs and turning down the position at animal control, Although having her at animal control could actually turn that place around. Animal control should give her more control, because she would be a great asset.
MattTucker

Shelbyville, KY

#6 Mar 24, 2010
Actually there has been quite a bit of commercial development in Byrnes Mill over the past year or two. The corner of Upper Byrnes Mill and Hwy 30 was recently purchased by a church, the High Ridge Fire Department purchased property off of Hwy. W, and Hope Lutheran Church (currently located in High Ridge) previously purchased Hwy. 30 frontage in Byrnes Mill, and Jefferson College recently purchased 25 acres within the city as well as a site for a potential new satellite campus. Institutional development is often the backbone of a growing community. So, as you can tell, your comment about no commercial development in Byrnes Mill is entirely false.

It might lend some credibility to this forum (and to you) if everyone were required to sign their names to posts. When people can't anonymously post on sites, it tends to make them think more before they post (something I think this entire Topix system needs a little more of). I can appreciate when others have views different than mine; but what I don't care for is blanket statements without facts or providing misinformation.

--Matt Tucker
MattTuckerSucks

United States

#7 Mar 24, 2010
All of the developments have been high commercial developments. I am talking about strip malls, development for small business owners. There isn't any, because there isn't a demand for it. Byrnes Mill is a lot like Pevely. The high taxes and the strict policies aren't economical for small business owners. These strict policies and high taxes are what causes these businesses to fail. There isn't room for profit.
The commercial development that has happened are either state funded or a non-profit group. They pay taxes for the city, but the true benefit is for the city....not the citizens. I am sure I speak for a lot of "House Springs citizens" when I say that House Springs has grown because of the citizens of House Springs. We do not want our tax dollars to go to a corrupt city like Byrnes Mill. House Springs will turn into a ghost town like Pevely.

Alison McGee
I agree

United States

#8 Mar 24, 2010
ArnoldCC wrote:
Don't let what happened in Arnold happen there. We now have the second highest tax rate in the state from the land grab our politicians did.
I completely agree with you. Byrnes Mill can't handle what they have now. If this annexation goes through then Byrnes mill will hike up taxes, then they will have to hire more corrupt police officers to keep up with the extra citizens. There will be more police traps down the old Gravios strip. Citizens will vacate that area, and the business will be forced to close.
I agree

United States

#9 Mar 24, 2010
MattTucker wrote:
Keith, please explain how her moral issue Dr. Ivan has with euthanized animals has anything to do with the annexation effort? The STLToday.com article ( http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories... ) has nothing to do with the annexation.
I am a Dr. Ivan client and a Byrnes Mill resident and I will be voting in favor of the annexation.
Thanks,
Matt Tucker
Look who is calling the kettle black now? How does your statement have anything to do with the above article?

Since: Mar 10

Shelbyville, KY

#10 Mar 24, 2010
Strip malls and small retail building historically follow the residential new home construction market. There aren't many new home developments going up in the area, thus there isn't a need for any new retail development (perhaps this is why a portions of the Walters Place property remains vacant), and because of this lack of need for retail space (and the availability of existing space in the area) there isn't a need for new development.

With regards to the type of development, I would want an institutional development located near me any day before a retail development. Retail developments tend to fade with age; churches and schools generally speaking do not hurt property values. Byrnes Mill must be doing something right if they are attracting this kind of institutional development.

With regards to the sales tax rates charged within the city limits of Byrnes Mill; I would suggest that they are not out-of-line with other municipalities within Jefferson County. A quick look at the Missouri Department of Revenue Sales & Use Tax Rate Table for the months of April, May, June 2010 show that Byrnes Mill does not have the highest tax in any category when compared to Cedar Hill, Crystal City, Desoto, Festus, High Ridge, Hillsboro, and House Springs. This data is freely available here ( http://dor.mo.gov/tax/business/sales/rates/ ).

That is not to say that it is the lowest tax structure when compared to these other cities, but the tax structure currently in place in Byrnes Mill is far from being out of line when compared to its Jefferson County counterparts; as some might have you believe.

--Matt Tucker
Keith M

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Mar 24, 2010
Matt --

The development you mention - church, fire station, etc. are tax-exempt. Its a shame that Brynes Mill didn't focus more on taxable development.

I don't understand your statement --

"With regards to the type of development, I would want an institutional development located near me any day before a retail development. "

If so, then why do you want to annex retail developments? You don't want them near the residents, but feel it justified that they support your streets?

"Byrnes Mill must be doing something right if they are attracting this kind of institutional development."

Apparently they are - they are not attracting income properties -- since they choose to do that, then why tap into these "undesireables" for money?

Shelbyville, KY

#12 Mar 24, 2010
My comments are regarding property value or nothing more than my opinion. In the end, any homeowner is an investor; and every investor wants to see their investment rise. I believe a property value would be higher when located next to a school or church, compared to the same property located next to a retail development in the same location. While this would not always be the case, I believe my logic is sound.

I agree, it is a shame that there has not been more retail development within the city limits of Byrnes Mill over the years. However, as someone familiar with commercial development and the development process, the highway 30 corridor doesn't lend itself much for further development; I might go so far to say that other than a Home Improvement chain store (but we have that in Hoods) there isn't much need in the area for anything else in terms of retail developments (perhaps a Dierbergs, but that is push).

I do however think that there is some property along W that may lend to commercial development, but i have no idea how it is zoned. Perhaps the corner of Upper Byrnes Mill Rd and Hwy 30, and the wedge between Gravois and Hwy 30 on the Byrnes Mill side are desirable locations for a developer (particularly if stop lights were put in at those intersections). But for a commercial developer, my opinion is there aren't many spots left within the City limits that would offer a positive return on commercial development in the short term particularly under this economic climate.

All that being said, I feel that the city alderman are addressing this need for additional businesses within its city by attempting to annex this adjacent parcel.
HS Resident

East Chicago, IN

#13 Apr 7, 2010
Matt,

Sounds like you are wanting a seat along side the other political cronies running Byrnesmill. Our good folks of HS have spoken and will will remain apart from you corruption over in Byrnesmill. I strongly suggest you pack up your family and move where the grass is greener and find a real job. "Your talk is rubbish"

Donald Wolf

Location hidden

#14 Apr 7, 2010
HS Resident wrote:
Matt,
Sounds like you are wanting a seat along side the other political cronies running Byrnesmill. Our good folks of HS have spoken and will will remain apart from you corruption over in Byrnesmill. I strongly suggest you pack up your family and move where the grass is greener and find a real job. "Your talk is rubbish"
Donald Wolf
While it is nice to think of BM as the villian, and HS as the underdog who won the "battle" I would like to resepctfully remind you that our freedom from the oppression of the Byrnes Mill political machine is owed, in large part, to the good citizens of our neighboring Bynes Mill. I personally hold no ill will towards any of them.

In fact, I thank them that I do not have to pay higher fees when I take my pups in for their veterinary care, and that they've made it possible for me to continue to enjoy the occasional lunch-out with my little one.

The events of the past weeks have put us at opposite ends of the table. Now is the time to focus on what we can do to make HS better, and prevent such an attempt for occuring again.
oictaylor

Festus, MO

#15 Oct 6, 2012
any annexation should be voluntary
Resident

United States

#16 Oct 18, 2012
Wow I can't believe what I'm reading! I just read at stltoday.com that dr. Ivan just euthanized 51 cats that were seized from hoarders. Do you call this compassion? I will never take my cat back to her!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillsboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy barton (Jul '15) 19 hr Shaun 16
DeSoto child molester Oct 17 Cander 2
News Amanda Jones: Missing From Hillsboro For 5 Years (Aug '10) Oct 16 Chas 16
KAB Homes (Jefferson County, Mo) (Feb '07) Oct 15 MrZ 51
footloose Oct 8 big dick 1
Recommendations for services around Dittmer? Oct 7 Newbie 1
Joel works for UP Oct 4 Noneya 1

Hillsboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance