Dead man's family grateful for kindnesses | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

William "Billy" Lane of Upper Arlington learned he had bipolar disorder last year, his family said.
Comments
21 - 35 of 35 Comments Last updated May 23, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Josh

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

This is a tragedy that could have been avoided. Billy needed help, not a hail of bullets.
Surviving Spouse

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

As the widow of a young man who lost his life to Bipolar Disorder in 2004, I can tell you that everyone involved will need time and space to recover. I can't imagine what that poor officer must be feeling or what a senseless loss this is to the family. They all deserve our prayers.
Juglinthoughts

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

I concur with PSSHH:
There were options, they were not taken. Why have we be given all the insights into this young manís life, family, trials and tribulations.....and the Police Office who shot the knife holder, HAS NOT BEEN NAMED? I am guessing many people know this officer, and most likely know him to be a "force to be reckoned with", as almost all Police officers are. They tend to be the folks in life that need to tell others how to be, how to act, and enforce their words with real threats and actions. Read the two cops in Chicago that went on a sexual assault rampage, read the cops in NY on the take, read almost any story on abused cops wives, remember the last time you got a ticket? Yes, they are social bullies. A shot to the leg or arm at fifteen feet is too difficult??? Get your A$$ off the force then, and quit wasting our tax dollars on spent shells at the shooting gallery. We will never know the truth to this....there is a reason why the badge is called a "Shield", because it shields the officers from so many wrong doings. Most dangerous job......working midnight to eight at the seven eleven on the east side of Columbus, a cop is way down the list. This is a tragedy and travesty.
OLD MAN ME

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

think for a second wrote:
I am not a police officer, but those who are questioning the police officer's response should think logically for a second. You have a man approaching you with a knife. You literally have seconds before your life could be over. You could taser the man, but what if it doesn't work? Tasers do not always work on people or stop people in their tracks, not to mention you have to be a certain distance from the person to operate the taser - usually a maximum of 15 or so feet. That's awful close to take that chance. I, too, thought about the possibility of shooting the suspect in the leg, but what if the officer missed a harder target to hit and the bullet was left to fly through a residential area. The officer had seconds to make a decision as a man with a knife approached him and had to take action that not only saved the life of himself, but the residents around him. We need to not focus on what the officer did, and focus more on spreading awareness about mental illnesses, which is the true perpetrator in this case.
To shoot to cripple means lawsuit.If you hit what you aim for.It has been proven in court that a person with a knife can move 21 feet in 1.5 SECONDS!!!! Look up "tueller's drill"Sgt. Dennis Tueller of Salt Lake City Police Department conducted experiments which let to the conclusion that an attacker with a knife in his hand covers 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. Therefore anything under 21 feet is considered to be in the zone of "imminent danger of death or great bodily harm
someone

Galloway, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

It amazes me that some will make the comments they do with so little knowledge of things. A knife is considered a deadly weapon by every police agency in this country and therefore is met with a comparable tool on the officers side...a gun. If someone is coming at you with a knife, that is not the time to use a taser. The reason, if one of the probes misses or if the taser has a malfunction, the officer will never have the time to get his/her gun out and fire at the suspect. Also officers are trained to shoot for center mass, as many have said previously. The chances you are going to hit someone in the leg while they are coming at you with a knife is so slim that the officer would most likely be injured or killed before the suspect was stopped. By the time you would get aimed at the leg and fired a decent shot, you would most likely be getting stabbed. This isn't the movies people. While they have a duty to serve and protect society, they also have a duty to go home at the end of the day by protecting themselves from harm. It is a tragedy that this young man lost his life, especially with the struggles he was facing, but this officer did everything right based on what information has been released. If so many of you think you can do things better, maybe it's time you took the civil service test, go to the academy, and become an officer. Until then, save your misguided and one sided thoughts for yourself.
jam it in your

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

ccollins wrote:
its called use a tasor.
I agree with you screw these other commentts dumb arse hillbilly cop just wanting to shoot someone. I bet he really feared for his life when the guy had a knife and he had a gun. Then he couldnt just taser him or even shoot him in the legs or something to stop him had to kill him. Screw cops they all suck big ones and hope they ever try to shoot me because that will be the day when theres ends.
jam it in your

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

OLD MAN ME wrote:
<quoted text> To shoot to cripple means lawsuit.If you hit what you aim for.It has been proven in court that a person with a knife can move 21 feet in 1.5 SECONDS!!!! Look up "tueller's drill"Sgt. Dennis Tueller of Salt Lake City Police Department conducted experiments which let to the conclusion that an attacker with a knife in his hand covers 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. Therefore anything under 21 feet is considered to be in the zone of "imminent danger of death or great bodily harm
right he was really trying to hurt the officer wasnt he. Thats why he sliced his own throat ignorant arse. Maybe someone should shoot you too.
proud wife of an officer

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

i feel a ton of sorrow for this man's family and agree that this was indeed a tragedy, but shame on your for using this man's death as a way to straight-up cop bash. it appears that's all that's important to you in this matter. you mention nothing about the man killed and only go on to run officers into the ground. you speak about officers that don't even live in our state, so it's safe to assume you don't know them to even have right to speak about them. i will not be foolish to judge this situation or the officer involved, as i was not there and only know the few details thanks to sketchy news reports...not police reports or 1st-hand eye-witness accounts, where the truth really lies. sure, i could ignorantly assume the officer made the wrong choice, but how would any of us know that w/o being at the scene???
my husband is a police officer and is nothing of what you describe in your rant. you could say i'm biased, but i've seen him in action and have also been told by 2 different folks that he has dealt with, how nice and fair he was; how level-headed he remained through out their ordeals. he reflects for days on incidents and always asks himself if the proper things were done, even when they were. he helps people of all kinds; drug abusers, child molesters, violent spouses, and does so w/dignity. unlike you, he realizes it's not his place to judge others. it upsets him greatly to hear of other officers who make the headlines w/negative stories, and he feels this gives his profession a bad wrap...obviously. i feel you should not label all or even "most" officers as (likely) "forces to be reckoned with." this makes you prejudice and an ignorant biggot. how much better is that than what you describe these "horrible" officers in your post??
when someone has stolen from you, threatened your life, or otherwise broke the law @ your expense, i bet you'll call the police and they'll come to assist you just like this Hilliard officer tried to assist the deceased & residents of the neighborhood. will you trash him or her then? people are so quick to tear down law officers until they really need them.
again, shame on you for bending this family's tragedy into a platform to spew your ill thoughts against policemen. you don't even mention the start of the problem. maybe you should mention the lack of proper funds & complete care for those w/mental illness as a contributor to this mess and not just perceieved lack of proper police procedure.
Juglinthoughts wrote:
I concur with PSSHH:
There were options, they were not taken. Why have we be given all the insights into this young manís life, family, trials and tribulations.....and the Police Office who shot the knife holder, HAS NOT BEEN NAMED? I am guessing many people know this officer, and most likely know him to be a "force to be reckoned with", as almost all Police officers are. They tend to be the folks in life that need to tell others how to be, how to act, and enforce their words with real threats and actions. Read the two cops in Chicago that went on a sexual assault rampage, read the cops in NY on the take, read almost any story on abused cops wives, remember the last time you got a ticket? Yes, they are social bullies. A shot to the leg or arm at fifteen feet is too difficult??? Get your **** off the force then, and quit wasting our tax dollars on spent shells at the shooting gallery. We will never know the truth to this....there is a reason why the badge is called a "Shield", because it shields the officers from so many wrong doings. Most dangerous job......working midnight to eight at the seven eleven on the east side of Columbus, a cop is way down the list. This is a tragedy and travesty.
1Adam12Roger

West Lafayette, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Police officers are taught that if someone has a knife and is within 12-16 feet, they are as dangerous as someone pointing a gun. There is a reason for this. It is true.
Tasers are not used in immediate life threatening situations. If you fire at someone who is charging you, they might not be taken down before reaching the officer and killing them. Tasers are used on certain subjects who are resisting arrest; if you have a knife or gun and are close - an officer is going to use his/her gun. People who think otherwise watch too much Hawaii Five-O. What the officer did was correct.

Shoot to wound is another one from TV. in real life, officers are taught to shoot at center mass to stop the person. Only on TV do they shoot an arm or leg in these type of situations.
Another mother

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

There is another thread about this where people are discussing the issue of the policeman in this case. This story is about the grieving family!
Macktrapper

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Another mother wrote:
There is another thread about this where people are discussing the issue of the policeman in this case. This story is about the grieving family!
Conversations evolve as they go along and are naturally subject to change.
Or are you unaware of that?
Another mother

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

Macktrapper wrote:
<quoted text>
Conversations evolve as they go along and are naturally subject to change.
Or are you unaware of that?
Quite aware, but feel that it's sad that both threads have turned into an argument about whether or not the policeman was at fault.

My condolences to the family, and all parties involved.
Another insight

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

Another mother wrote:
This is so sad! Too bad the doctor(s) weren't able to find the right meds in time. The officer is not at fault; the medical professionals failed here.
My condolences to the family. RIP Billy.
It is unjust to say that anyone "failed" here, even the medical professionals. A patient can be diagnosed and given appropriate medications, but it is up to the patient to take it and seek care when needed. This man was most likely more sick and angry than even his family or doctors knew.
Another mother

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

Another insight wrote:
<quoted text>
It is unjust to say that anyone "failed" here, even the medical professionals. A patient can be diagnosed and given appropriate medications, but it is up to the patient to take it and seek care when needed. This man was most likely more sick and angry than even his family or doctors knew.
Perhaps. But my personal experience in dealing with medical professionals when a family member is diagnosed with bipolar is that many are not very helpful, and certainly not helpful quickly enough. Bipolar people, particularly during the manic phase are not in a position to seek help themselves. Medical professionals use HIPPA innapropriately in these cases, and do not always use the faster acting drugs available. They fail to listen to family members who are the ones that can truly give insight into how serious the situation is, and how urgently an intervention is needed.

Don't know about this case in particular, but often the right mix of meds are not
found in a year or less, and frankly, bipolar people at risk for what happened here need to be sedated until it is safe for them not to be. That is not the course if action most families in this situation see
the medical professionals 'practice'.
no name

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2011

Macktrapper wrote:
<quoted text>
And you would most likely be dead.
A physically fit and determined person can cover 15- 20 feet and stab you in about as much time as it takes to draw and fire.
Don't think for a minute the officer overreacted.
Under normal circumstances, sure. He took a bullet in each leg (on top of other injuries) and could hardly stand before the end of events.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hilliard Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hilliard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••