Yellow dandelions have Highland Park ...

Yellow dandelions have Highland Park residents seeing red

There are 98 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 16, 2008, titled Yellow dandelions have Highland Park residents seeing red. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Long the scourge of suburbanites, a sea of dandelions that popped up this spring on the public grounds of an exclusive North Shore housing development has pitted residents against those responsible for keeping ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Since: Jun 07

Waukegan, IL

#64 Jun 16, 2008
also when you talk about money- the noble foundation in texas estimates that mowing costs 16 dollars an acre, while spraying cost 6. so saving money IS an issue when talking about weeds.
Spector

Chicago, IL

#65 Jun 16, 2008
Redshoe wrote:
<quoted text>
*you are thinking of two different plants. Dandelions do not turn into thistle plants. Thistles are the super tall, spiked leaf that grows the large purple flower-which song birds love, especially gold finches. And who wouldn't love to see more song birds instead of the darn grackles. Bear in mind that some nursery centers sell those darned thistles plants at 8 bucks each. Imagine.
Then what happens to the dandelions as they age?-- as far as I recall, if you simply let a dandelion alone, it will age through the summer and get tough, prickly, spiny leaves, and eventually go to seed with a tall stalk, and purple, thistle-like 'flowers.' Nothing you want to go near without a pair of thick gardening gloves, jeans, heavy shoes, hedge trimmers and a good shovel!(And a lot of ice cold lemonade.)
ernest t bass

Chicago, IL

#66 Jun 16, 2008
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, dandelions decrease your property value?? What kind of dandelions do you guy have out there? Are they bionic or something? In the real suburbs, its usually crime or garbage or rats that decrease property value. Your statement, without referenced fact, almost seems paranoid. Omg a weed, property ... value ... down... must ... get... weed .. killer ... or .. lose ... home.. to ... foreclosure. Die plant, dieeee.
not sure, but u may have missed the sarcasm;)

Since: Jun 07

Waukegan, IL

#67 Jun 16, 2008
Spector wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what happens to the dandelions as they age?-- as far as I recall, if you simply let a dandelion alone, it will age through the summer and get tough, prickly, spiny leaves, and eventually go to seed with a tall stalk, and purple, thistle-like 'flowers.' Nothing you want to go near without a pair of thick gardening gloves, jeans, heavy shoes, hedge trimmers and a good shovel!(And a lot of ice cold lemonade.)
dandilions go from a yellow flower to form the archenes which are a puff of white as replacement. this puff of white is seeds which blow around. the purple flower thing is a canada thistle, which also forms archenes, but are illegal, not allowed to be harbored in the state of illinois, which spread from roots 10 feet underground growing horizontally, and can spread from the root alone 10-20 feet a year.
Charlie Gies

Islandia, NY

#68 Jun 16, 2008
be Logical wrote:
Dandilion = Green plant with yellow flower. Has a decent color and stops the ground from eroding WHEN IT RAINS EXCESSIVELY.
Those wealthy snobs in Fort Sheridan need a good flood to give them a reality check.

“things that make you go "hmmmm”

Since: May 08

Joliet, IL

#69 Jun 16, 2008
more crap wrote:
<quoted text>
You think they mow their own grass? How pedestrian! There is no time to mow your own grass what with tennis lessons, boating, golf, bicycling, etc. Maybe they should talk to their landscapers.
Forgive me if my sarcasm meter is off, but it truly never occurred to me that not everyone cuts their own grass. I cut ours and that of my ageing (93 and counting!) parents.

You mean that people actually pay *money* to other people to cut the grass? I thought that's why we had kids.
Tina

Noblesville, IN

#70 Jun 16, 2008
This is Conelrad wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I do think they get really problematic once they are done with those "nice" yellow flowers. They spread like cancer and mature and then those horribly prickly leaves start developing, and if left alone, then those purple thistles develop. No barefoot walking on that grass, for sure.

Any botanists out there?
I'm not a botanist but those purple things are a totally different plant, that is horrible and deserves to die way more than harmless little dandelions

I see you're not the only one confused though; is that why people hate dandelions so much? A simple case of mistaken identity? When I was a kid if a thistle grew my mom would dig it up and pour poison into the hole to kill the root. When dandelions sprouted, she'd just tell us to pop their heads off while they were still yellow so they wouldn't spread seeds.

Why don't they just harvest the dandelions and sell them at a farmer'm market? I've seen them at Whole Foods for like $6 a pound, they could make a killing
r u kidding

United States

#71 Jun 16, 2008
I can't believe that this is news....if this is the only problem you have, you should feel blessed....morons
annjilly

Chicago, IL

#72 Jun 16, 2008
r u kidding wrote:
I can't believe that this is news....if this is the only problem you have, you should feel blessed....morons
Absolutely, take a look at Iowa then complain about dandelions
Ed Vais

Hamilton, UK

#73 Jun 16, 2008
When the bottom finally falls out, I might consider bartering some of my dandelion greens, dandelion root coffee or a bottle or two of dandelion wine to those elitists. That is, if they have anything worth trading.
MIKE

Wood Dale, IL

#74 Jun 16, 2008
I find it HILARIOUS the while reading this article on dandelion Problems, an ad by GOOGLE is off on the left side touting weed killers. If GOOGLe can think of it, don't you think the forest preserve should have as well?
Springfield

Springfield, IL

#75 Jun 16, 2008
dandelion wine is a lot of work but very well worth it! When I was a kid, my dad would take us to large fields covered in dandelions and we would pick for hours, filling burlap bags. Mind you, the fermentation process should only take place in a well ventilated building or outdoors.

Do worry Chicagoans! we, living in the city that would be big, have our share of elite homeowners living in very well guarded and manicured subdivisions with similar covanents and chaddles demanding "beauty perfect" lawns, 3.2 legitimate children in each house and two Mercedes station wagons in each garage - never leave a car parked in your driveway or on the street or else!

I say - when life gives you dandelions - make wine and make it a family affair!
Mikey

United States

#76 Jun 16, 2008
So we're all in agreement here that Highland Parkers are a bunch of whiny snobs who have nothing better to concern themselves with, right?
richard david hyerczyk

Minneapolis, MN

#77 Jun 16, 2008
nice article. I know Dandelions are a non-native plant, a nuisance weed, etc, but the fact that the it flurishes on Forest Preserve lands and not on Bill Lolli's property probably means that Bill Lolli is using POISON and HERBACIDES on his lawn to get rid of it.

In my opinion Bill Lolli ought to be eradicated.
Kevin

Deerfield, IL

#78 Jun 16, 2008
Mikey wrote:
So we're all in agreement here that Highland Parkers are a bunch of whiny snobs who have nothing better to concern themselves with, right?
Don't blame me. I just work here.
Shocked but not really

Germany

#79 Jun 16, 2008
What a bunch of nothing-better-to-do crybabies!!! With our country at war, natural disasters abounding, economic stress & the decay of our society as a whole, THIS is what they're worried about?! How about using all of this free time to lobby for legislation for harsher punishment for pedophiles, wife beaters, rapists, dead-beat parents, insurance/welfare fraud? Get a life.
kryztal

Palatine, IL

#80 Jun 16, 2008
i think all yall haters need to stop trippin
Waiting

United States

#81 Jun 16, 2008
These people really need to see the big picture....and weeds are not a problem for families struggling to feed their children and afford gas to get to work.

They have so much time to complain, maybe they should take turn mowing??
ilovechicago

San Antonio, TX

#82 Jun 16, 2008
...i like dandelions, theyre pretty....
Kmk

Joliet, IL

#83 Jun 16, 2008
can you people not find something better to complain about. get a life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Evanston (Aug '09) Jan 17 Dre 16
News People think there's a weird connection between... Dec 30 Spotted Girl 6
News City Pledges to - Welcome' Illegal Aliens Dec 29 spytheweb 10
News Mike Pence Is Speaking In Chicago Friday & Some... Dec 28 MAYBE 3
News Suburban investor charged with bank fraud Dec 27 Victim 64
red light special Dec 21 Terry 1
Natural Ties closes down 10 years ago around th... (Dec '12) Dec '16 Prince John 2

Highland Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Highland Park Mortgages