Yellow dandelions have Highland Park ...

Yellow dandelions have Highland Park residents seeing red

There are 98 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 16, 2008, titled Yellow dandelions have Highland Park residents seeing red. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Long the scourge of suburbanites, a sea of dandelions that popped up this spring on the public grounds of an exclusive North Shore housing development has pitted residents against those responsible for keeping ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Abe

AOL

#1 Jun 16, 2008
Give me a break. There is a lot that they can do to eliminate the dandelions. It is called spending about $20 for a gallon of a liquid chemical weed killer called 2-4,D amine which they can buy at any lawn & garden center.Then, they get off their lazy butts and spray it on the dandelions with a sprayer. This is something that the rest of us homeowners that don't "feed at the government trough" have been doing for over 40 years.It is a concept that forest preserve officials are not used to which the rest of us call "work".

“things that make you go "hmmmm”

Since: May 08

Joliet, IL

#2 Jun 16, 2008
Abe, you are right. How hard can it be to hook up a weed sprayer to the mower when they mow? Farmers do it.

As for work, well, I have a favorite spot to park when I go birding. There is a space for about 3 cars in it. It used to have a trash can. This was nice because I usually take a bag when I walk and pick up the most obvious trash myself. The Forest Preserve solution to the trash......take away the can! Nice guys. I called the FPD about a strung up dead deer hanging in a tree that I thought was a bit gruesome and nobody had the courtesy to return my call. So in the next election, I shall try again to "re-call" why some of these jerks are in office.
mike

Chicago, IL

#3 Jun 16, 2008
Live with it. Yellow flowers are pretty. Weed killers pollute the atmosphere and, eventually, the water.
Brian

Chicago, IL

#4 Jun 16, 2008
why spray the whole town with deadly chemicals over a natural plant? Why ARE dandelions considered such a nuisance? What is so horribly ugly about them? I just don't get it.

Don't people on the north shore have ANYTHING more important to whine about????? I guess gas prices aren't really affecting them.
susan

Lake Forest, IL

#5 Jun 16, 2008
This is the symptom of people with too much time on their hands. This is the best you have to worry about - flowers? Give me a break. Take some time and worry about something of significance - or go volunteer somewhere.
Fink-Nottle

United States

#6 Jun 16, 2008
"The dandelions created a special embarrassment, residents said, during Memorial Day observances at the former fort."

Our brave soldiers didn't give their lives so that the good people of Highland Park have to endure the horrors of DANDELIONS!!!
Homer

Tinley Park, IL

#7 Jun 16, 2008
This is outrageous...these Forest Preserve officials should be fired immediately. They could easily pad the rolls with a dozen ghost weed sprayer employees, increase their budget by six figures this year and get resulting automatic budget increases for decades to come. Can 'em! Get some people in there who know how the system works...in this ecomony surely there are plenty of friend of a friend people sitting in bars all over the area every morning who are sorely in need a another paycheck. Fix this...fix it now!

“You can't handle the TRUTH!”

Since: Sep 07

Chicago

#8 Jun 16, 2008
BWAA HHHAAAA!

Suburbanite stupidity at best. There are other more important issues in this world other than weeds!
Christina

Libertyville, IL

#9 Jun 16, 2008
Not all residents are worked up about this. I live across from the field and I'm fine with the dandelions. I too wonder why people think they're such a nusisance. And did someone really say they were "a special embarassement" on Memorial Day?? I hope the Forest Preserve doesn't cave and start spraying.
be Logical

Cary, IL

#10 Jun 16, 2008
Weed killer = poison that goes onto the ground and into the air. Could cause future deaths when enough gets into the ground water.

Dandilion = Green plant with yellow flower. Has a decent color and stops the ground from eroding WHEN IT RAINS EXCESSIVELY.
Doug

Highland Park, IL

#12 Jun 16, 2008
Letting dandelions flourish is a great way of increasing the supply of affordable housing, a major goal of HP's government. It knocks housing prices down, but doesn't require tax increases or tedious negotiations with developers. What's not to like?
Jake

New York, NY

#13 Jun 16, 2008
This cracks me up. Highland Park residents will go to the health food store and pay $10 for dandelions to put in their salads. They have a cash crop in their yards and can't see the green for the yellow.
Lisa

United States

#14 Jun 16, 2008
Don't people have anything better to devote their time and energy to? There must be a homeless shelter or hospice organization that would benefit much more from the attention a dandelion is getting. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!
coachtrenks

Chicago, IL

#15 Jun 16, 2008
I'm glad the forest preserve didn't do what most of those residents had someone do FOR them, which is dump unnecessary poisons on their lawn that washed into Lake Michigan during the first rain after application. What is the obsession with pristine, green lawns that look like pool table felt? The only way to keep it in a monoculture is the constant application of chemicals. That should be a tip off that it is a losing battle.
Lisa

Woodridge, IL

#16 Jun 16, 2008
You have got to be kidding! Why waste space in your paper on such an idiotic topic. As for the Fort Sheridan residents complaining, the people in Cedar Rapids are not whining as loudly and they actually have lost their homes and businesses. Think twice before you complain about something so ridiculous.
a north shore resident

Midlothian, IL

#17 Jun 16, 2008
Highland Park residents--

Do a little research, please. You will find that dandelions are harmless; pesticides are not. In addition to polluting ground water and rivers and the yards and fields, some pesticides have been connected to illnesses and chronic diseases such as Parkinson's. Please, overcome your obsession with unhealthy grass and join the 21st century--organic, safe, and healthy lawns!
mrred

Oak Grove, KY

#18 Jun 16, 2008
Dandelion wine is a mighty fine wine. Only on the North Shore do you get whine so good.
Bob

Dallas, TX

#19 Jun 16, 2008
And this is news??
Larry

Champaign, IL

#20 Jun 16, 2008
I worked in Highland Park for a while and I must say this story did not surprise me one bit. Talk about a flock of people who think the sun rises just for them.
Amy

Chicago, IL

#21 Jun 16, 2008
One of the joys of life is a bouquet of dandelions given to you by a child. Maybe these people need to stop and smell the flowers, so to speak.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 charged in rape of teen (Oct '08) Jun 27 Frank Longdong 59
News Chicago Reacts to Orlando Shooting Jun 27 Mite Be 40
hooooray uk!!! Jun 24 Thomas the Turban... 1
News After years of sadness, a grandmother cries tea... Jun 22 Phil Tinkles Soil... 2
News Nearly Half Of Chicago Residents Can't Afford T... Jun 17 bozo 2
News Weird 1 mins ago 8:30 a.m.Residents upset over ... Jun 12 Jack 8
Obama admits having SEX with a Barbados Sheep.... Jun 12 Monica Lewenski 1

Highland Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Highland Park Mortgages