Residents Want Dandelion-Free Lawns

Residents of a former military base in suburban Chicago are criticizing a government agency over its failure to rid their lawns of dandelions. Full Story
skipper

United States

#1 Jun 16, 2008
I'd rather have lower gas prices and a lawn full of dandlions.

but to each his own.
Highland Park IL

Deerfield, IL

#2 Jun 20, 2008
This letter was submitted to the editor of the Chicago Tribune:
I am writing in response to the June 16, 2008 article regarding dandelions at Fort Sheridan. I wanted to let you know that there is another side
of this story. There is a group of us who have been marching in the July 4 parade in Highland Park for the past few years in support of healthier, naturally maintained lawns. We consider dandelions to be a sign of a lawn that is safe for our families to play on, as their presence usually indicates that the lawn has not been treated with toxic chemicals. A group of Highland Park residents has also pulled weeds, including dandelions, from several local parks in conjunction with the Park District of Highland Park.
There is a growing movement, both within Highland Park and around the country, to reduce our impact on the environment. Reducing the use of
pesticides and herbicides on our lawns and on public parks is a necessary part of these efforts. Pesticides, including herbicides, are poisons designed to kill living things. Pesticide exposure has been linked to cancer, hormonal disorders, asthma, Parkinson's disease, and behavioral disorders, among other health impacts.
Recently the Chicago Park District worked with Safer Pest Control Project on a campaign to inform park users that dandelions are a sign of a naturally maintained and safe lawn. This campaign was mentioned several weeks ago in the Tribune. When people are informed about the risks of pesticides, they often reconsider their opposition to weeds that bloom and disappear.
In the future, I hope that you will report on the efforts of the many people working to make our communities healthier by reducing toxic pesticides in the environment, rather than the complaints of a few about a weed that is gone within a few weeks.

“...all you new england folks..”

Since: Jun 08

..get ready, and hang on....

#3 Jun 20, 2008
Highland Park IL wrote:
I am writing in response to the June 16, 2008 article regarding dandelions at Fort Sheridan. I wanted to let you know that there is another side
of this story. There is a group of us who have been marching in the July 4 parade in Highland Park for the past few years in support of healthier, naturally maintained lawns. We consider dandelions to be a sign of a lawn that is safe for our families to play on, as their presence usually indicates that the lawn has not been treated with toxic chemicals. A group of Highland Park residents has also pulled weeds, including dandelions, from several local parks in conjunction with the Park District of Highland Park.
There is a growing movement, both within Highland Park and around the country, to reduce our impact on the environment. Reducing the use of
pesticides and herbicides on our lawns and on public parks is a necessary part of these efforts. Pesticides, including herbicides, are poisons designed to kill living things. Pesticide exposure has been linked to cancer, hormonal disorders, asthma, Parkinson's disease, and behavioral disorders, among other health impacts.
Recently the Chicago Park District worked with Safer Pest Control Project on a campaign to inform park users that dandelions are a sign of a naturally maintained and safe lawn. This campaign was mentioned several weeks ago in the Tribune. When people are informed about the risks of pesticides, they often reconsider their opposition to weeds that bloom and disappear.
In the future, I hope that you will report on the efforts of the many people working to make our communities healthier by reducing toxic pesticides in the environment, rather than the complaints of a few about a weed that is gone within a few weeks.
Sounds like another job for OBAMAMAN! Protecting innocent weeds from the Republican weed sprayers!(???) Is this for real?? Or is Highland Park having sport w/us?

Since: Jun 07

Waukegan, IL

#4 Jun 20, 2008
Highland Park IL wrote:
if they bloom and disappear why do you pull them? when you do do you feel foolish or used, perhaps abused? do you get the blues? why would you pretend to be doing good when it doesn't matter?

“New & Improved..”

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#5 Jun 20, 2008
First it's "The government should legalize weed!" then it's "The government should do something about this!"
Time to pick a side I would think.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#6 Jun 21, 2008
cactus wrote:
<quoted text>if they bloom and disappear why do you pull them? when you do do you feel foolish or used, perhaps abused? do you get the blues? why would you pretend to be doing good when it doesn't matter?
In addition, dandelions have medicinal properties and are a food item.
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#7 Jun 21, 2008
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
They cure warts and guinea pigs like them.

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#8 Jun 23, 2008
You can use plain old white vinegar to kill them. Use the dandelion puller thingy to make a hole right next to the plant and squirt some white vinegar into it. The weed will die and the grass does not. It is not toxic.(older folks are a treasure trove of useful information like this!)

“Laugh it's good for you...”

Since: Sep 07

AND IT TICKS PEOPLE OFF

#9 Jun 23, 2008
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I love dandelion greens. And it makes a good wine.

Since: Mar 08

East Berlin, CT

#10 Jun 23, 2008
MoMaria wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I love dandelion greens. And it makes a good wine.
And, besides all the good things stated above me,, dandelions pretty up my lawn.

“Our Grand daughter”

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#11 Jun 23, 2008
It's the only thing that grown real pretty in the drought..hahahaha!!
ECG

Highland Park, IL

#12 Jun 24, 2008
Then at the very least...remove the flower heads before they turn to seeds and become more dandelions...if you wish to leave the green part, it is not as problematic to others who don't wish to have a lawn full of the yellow flowers.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#13 Jun 25, 2008
Weird Al's solution based on a Michael Jackson song: Just Eat It!
MeanandNasty

United States

#15 Jun 25, 2008
Save a lawn! Eat a dandelion!

Yep, it would save petroleum to lessen our dependence on petroleum products (gas for the sprayer, chemicals). The less chemicals assaulting my respiratory system the better.

“It's all about attitutde”

Since: Mar 08

Norcross, GA

#16 Jun 25, 2008
Hey Tiger Lilly wrote:
I don't have a lawn, I live in a trailer park. My yard is gravel - at least what is visible around the junk car that aint been moved in 3 years.
Gawd I love you....
Think when we git hitched you'll have room for my pick em up truck that dont run? We can fill the bed with water and use it as our very own swimmin pool, or hell, if ya want we'll stock it and go fishin fer our honeymoon. Ive been tawkin to Mrs Gabbage too and she says she's got a right nice single wide she aint usin she'd sell us real cheap that we can hook up and have our very own doublewide. The only one in the park darlin!!!!!2 bathrooms too. Hot diggity dog Im happier than a one eyed possum lost in the woods and it's daylight out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So what is a great Chicago book anyway? 1 hr Uncle Buck 2
Walgreens grants billionaire interim CEO $7M in... 22 hr Phill 14
Walgreen faces penalty for NY flu shot charges (Oct '12) 22 hr Im not an MBA but 9
Car burglar Sat JenniferEco 1
Audiologist Offers Free Hearing Aids (Apr '13) Jan 22 Jerry Boggs 2
How many Chicago mayors have graduated from a C... Jan 11 Richard J Daley 5
North Chicagoan charged in Gurnee shooting (Feb '12) Jan 11 Smokey McBongwater 10
Highland Park Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Highland Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:24 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 1:24PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet