Caught on Tape: Bears wander through ...

Caught on Tape: Bears wander through Vernon, New Jersey

There are 16 comments on the KSDK NewsChannel 5 story from Jun 10, 2009, titled Caught on Tape: Bears wander through Vernon, New Jersey. In it, KSDK NewsChannel 5 reports that:

Get used to the sight of bears in your neighborhood if you live in the Northeast., U.S. Fish and Wildlife experts warn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSDK NewsChannel 5.

Addie

North Olmsted, OH

#1 Jun 17, 2009
Crazy.
Marilyn

North Olmsted, OH

#2 Jun 17, 2009
Bear frighten me.
Kelly

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

#3 Jun 17, 2009
Bring back Jungle Habitat!!!!!!!!!!
Marilyn

North Olmsted, OH

#4 Jun 17, 2009
Look for the bear necessitites the simple bear necessities.
Janine

Patchogue, NY

#5 Jun 17, 2009
Saw a bear in Kinnelon today too.
susie

Newton, NJ

#6 Jun 18, 2009
the bear in great gorge village get in all the dumpster and throw the garbage all around. please don't close the lids,hmmm. people also leave garbage on their decks. these bears do not run away when u clap your hands. they run after you
mommadukes

Norwalk, CT

#7 Jun 18, 2009
I bought 2 "bear proof" cans last year, within 24 hours, the bears got them open by getting their teeth in the lid and figured out how to twist the top off. So now I have "bear proof" cans with (big)tooth holes in the lids. It was a waste of $120.00
Baloo

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

#8 Jun 18, 2009
I can't "bear" any more talk of this
vtown mom

Palmerton, PA

#9 Jun 18, 2009
I had a run-in with 2 bears on the mountain behind Great Gorge. I did the whole yelling and clapping thing, and the bigger one was coming TOWARDS me the whole time. I had to pass them in order to get home so I was petrified! After 3 attempts to pass the one was not getting off the trail.....she must have been a mommy or something. I had to climb up to great gorge south and then scale down the mountain til I hit 94. I was too scared to keep trying to pass that bear that was coming at me!
Debbie

Patchogue, NY

#10 Jun 18, 2009
vtown mom wrote:
I had a run-in with 2 bears on the mountain behind Great Gorge. I did the whole yelling and clapping thing, and the bigger one was coming TOWARDS me the whole time. I had to pass them in order to get home so I was petrified! After 3 attempts to pass the one was not getting off the trail.....she must have been a mommy or something. I had to climb up to great gorge south and then scale down the mountain til I hit 94. I was too scared to keep trying to pass that bear that was coming at me!
Glad to hear you are safe. That had to be very, very scary.
Old New Jerseyan

North Olmsted, OH

#11 Jun 19, 2009
Me too. That had to be a frightening experience.
vtown mom

Palmerton, PA

#12 Jun 19, 2009
thanks guys! it was so scary! I was never so glad to see Route 94 in my life!
Louise

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

#13 Jun 19, 2009
It's like who's afraid of the big black bear, not the big bad wolf
Mamma Doris

Patchogue, NY

#14 Jun 20, 2009
vtown mom wrote:
thanks guys! it was so scary! I was never so glad to see Route 94 in my life!
Glad you are okay.
Fran

Patchogue, NY

#15 Jun 20, 2009
Me too.
jlkpa

Denville, NJ

#16 Jul 21, 2009
First off the U.S. fish and Wildlife experts are not so good at what they do if they are saying to get used to the sight of bears in your neighborhood if you live in the Northeast as I have lived there all my life. I grew up in Highland lakes, and as a child I saw the bear every day. Maybe 30 years ago you could stomp your feet and clap your hands to scare them away. Nowadays that does not always work. There have been dogs attacked and killed in Highland Lakes. Children cannot go outside unsupervised, god forbid they have a granola bar, or a cookie in their hands!
Something needs to be done. People started feeding the bear, and there is not a fear of human beings anymore. I have no doubt in my mind that this situation will get worse in years to come if something is not done.
I personally feel that I cannot go Mtn. bike riding in the woods by myself any longer. There are other areas not too far from Highland Lakes, that an infant was killed by a black bear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legends Resort (Jan '06) May 2 Paul S 3,058
RV parked in 23 Rest Area by Echo Lk Rd for weeks (Mar '09) Mar '18 Aldo 10
News New Sussex Symphony announces concert Mar '18 Irritated 1
News Business people see 'high times' ahead if NJ le... Feb '18 easystreet100 2
Gas leak Jan '18 fiteme 2
corrupt vernon police (Jan '07) Jan '18 Jim 27
News West Milford police again ask gas station robbe... (Mar '14) Jan '18 Roman 2

Highland Lakes Jobs

Personal Finance

Highland Lakes Mortgages