Second bear incident in week occurs in Vernon

Jul 28, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: New Jersey Herald

A second bear in less than a week has been shot and killed in Vernon. According to Department of Environmental Protection spokeswoman Darlene Yuhas, the 150-pound adult female bear was shot Sunday by state Division of Fish and Wildlife technicians after being called to the scene by the Vernon Township Police.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Mary

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

What to do?
Ricard Vernon NJ

Steamboat Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

WOW go figure.not in our town :)
marcela

Fair Lawn, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2009

Why not tranquilize it??? I thought killing bears was illegal!!
Franklin

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

It is Illegal and Inhumane.
Irene

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2009

Judged:

Humans are attracting the bears with their irresposiblity. They need to educate themselves on how to live safely in bear country or move. Killing the bears is wrong. I hope everyone remembers they are gods creatures. Especially when the ygo to church on Sunday.
Vernon mom

Andover, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2009

Irene wrote:
Humans are attracting the bears with their irresposiblity. They need to educate themselves on how to live safely in bear country or move. Killing the bears is wrong. I hope everyone remembers they are gods creatures. Especially when the ygo to church on Sunday.
Thats not entirely true. I am not being irresponsible. I keep my garbage in my garage all week long and only put it out an hour before the garbage man comes. But the bears will come into my garage and pull out the garbage. And they do it in the middle of the day while we are home. What else can we do. We don't call the cops to have them shot, but something needs to be done.
Harry Bawlsache

Franklin, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Vernon mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats not entirely true. I am not being irresponsible. I keep my garbage in my garage all week long and only put it out an hour before the garbage man comes. But the bears will come into my garage and pull out the garbage. And they do it in the middle of the day while we are home. What else can we do. We don't call the cops to have them shot, but something needs to be done.
Maybe you should close your garage door so the bear can't get in.
Vernon mom

Andover, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2009

Yeah, maybe. But then maybe i should lock myself and my kids in my house just in case. That makes a lot of sense.

We were having a party, we were in and out of the garage and in the backyard, only maybe 50 feet away from the garage door. Maybe i shouldnt have to worry about bears coming that close when we are all right outside.
Mommadukes

Totowa, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2009

I do not have a garage so I "invested" in 2 "bear proof" garbage cans, you know, the yellow ones with the twist off top.....well, do not waste your money on those supposed bear proof cans. Within 4 hours of my purchase, a bear came along and sunk his teeth into the top and was able to twist off the top with ease (I did make sure it was on tight). I have also watched them knock it over and "bounce" on it to get the lid off. It's just something we have to deal with.
Harry Bawlsache

Franklin, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2009

Judged:

Vernon mom wrote:
Yeah, maybe. But then maybe i should lock myself and my kids in my house just in case. That makes a lot of sense.
We were having a party, we were in and out of the garage and in the backyard, only maybe 50 feet away from the garage door. Maybe i shouldnt have to worry about bears coming that close when we are all right outside.
Maybe you could put your garbage in someone elses garage when you need to have yours open.
Vernon Mom

Highland Lakes, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2009

Judged:

Harry Bawlsache wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you could put your garbage in someone elses garage when you need to have yours open.
OK, Great idea, can i borrow your garage tomorrow? I am having another party.

Thanks.
Distressed

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Can't believe how ignorant people are.
Nana Janet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Judged:

Bears make me nervous
bob burke

Cedar Knolls, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

marcela wrote:
Why not tranquilize it??? I thought killing bears was illegal!!
what are you going to do with the bear when it wakes up.
bob burke

Cedar Knolls, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Mommadukes wrote:
I do not have a garage so I "invested" in 2 "bear proof" garbage cans, you know, the yellow ones with the twist off top.....well, do not waste your money on those supposed bear proof cans. Within 4 hours of my purchase, a bear came along and sunk his teeth into the top and was able to twist off the top with ease (I did make sure it was on tight). I have also watched them knock it over and "bounce" on it to get the lid off. It's just something we have to deal with.
how much extra time and money would it cost to empty all the twist off yellow bear proof cans if everyone in each town that had bear problems cost?
Mary Sue

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

Exactly BB
Katke

Orangeburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

Scary stuff

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Highland Lakes Discussions

Search the Highland Lakes Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Passaic County Sheriff: 3 charged in drug bust ... 2 hr foolsgold 1
advoserv (Mar '10) Fri Helpless 426
West Milford Hewitt Newfoundland NJ Jun 23 donnacook66 1
Paterson drug dealer gets 7 years in prison for... Jun 21 gnome 3
Legends Resort (Jan '06) Jun 21 Phoenix 2,802
Rajputs are illegitimate sons of kshatriya (Dec '11) Jun 12 raghavendra rajbhar 75
Questions about the Wickham Family? Jun '14 MrDoughnut 1
•••
•••

Highland Lakes News Video

•••
•••

Highland Lakes Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Highland Lakes People Search