Did The City Kill The Trees

Did The City Kill The Trees

Posted in the Highland Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ticked Off

Highland, IL

#1 Jul 24, 2012
In Spindler Park and Glik Park due to the improper application of herbicide around the base of the trees?
bonersoup

Haslet, TX

#2 Jul 24, 2012
Ticked Off wrote:
In Spindler Park and Glik Park due to the improper application of herbicide around the base of the trees?
or maybe because it hasn't rained in a month you idiot
Chris

Festus, MO

#3 Jul 24, 2012
Rain has some part in it but the trees at Spindler are much worse than at Glik Park and I personally saw herbicide being applied this spring near the base of those trees in Spindler. From what I have read that is a no-no. So maybe you are the idiot bonersoup for assuming something you know nothing about. I see other trees in Highland and they are not dying like those in Spindler. I am talking about the older mature trees.
Arborist

Farmington, MO

#4 Jul 24, 2012
Ticked Off wrote:
In Spindler Park and Glik Park due to the improper application of herbicide around the base of the trees?
Then they must be killing all the trees throughout the city. I'm sure they keep records of chemical applications; grow a pair and call them if you're so supicious.
Linda

Festus, MO

#5 Aug 9, 2012
Arborist wrote:
<quoted text>
Then they must be killing all the trees throughout the city. I'm sure they keep records of chemical applications; grow a pair and call them if you're so supicious.
My husband just saw the city spraying herbicide last week at Glik Park and they were near trees. He is sending an email to the city now. If you walk around the town you do not see trees dying like they are at Spindler and Glik Park. Sure there are a few here and there but none to the extent that they are at the 2 parks. Plus the person spraying the herbicide does it from one of those carts. They just ride around . I am sure it is because it's easier and quicker to kill the weeds that way instead of using a weed wacker. The trees and other vegetation is already distressed as it is. Herbicide sure doesn't help. I have read several articles and they say do not apply herbicide near trees.
bonersoup

Haslet, TX

#6 Aug 9, 2012
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>My husband just saw the city spraying herbicide last week at Glik Park and they were near trees. He is sending an email to the city now. If you walk around the town you do not see trees dying like they are at Spindler and Glik Park. Sure there are a few here and there but none to the extent that they are at the 2 parks. Plus the person spraying the herbicide does it from one of those carts. They just ride around . I am sure it is because it's easier and quicker to kill the weeds that way instead of using a weed wacker. The trees and other vegetation is already distressed as it is. Herbicide sure doesn't help. I have read several articles and they say do not apply herbicide near trees.
lol you are dumb
bonersoup

Haslet, TX

#7 Aug 9, 2012
What gets sprayed around the trees only kills what is on the ground. You would need a ground sterilent to kill the trees...
bonersoup

Haslet, TX

#8 Aug 9, 2012
Coming from a guy who has sold chemicals for 35 years. But apparently you know everything. You should run for president.
Linda

Festus, MO

#9 Aug 9, 2012
No, Bonersoup you are the dumb one. Chemicals can permeate the ground and harm the root system. Read SILENT SILENT. You probably have contributed a lot to people getting cancer due to the chemicals you have sold for 35 years.
Linda

Festus, MO

#10 Aug 9, 2012
I meant SILENT SPRING
bonersoup

Haslet, TX

#11 Aug 9, 2012
If you think you can fix it why don't you? Oh wait you probably sit in an office all day complaining about everything, while other people actual work. You seriously should run for president because we need a person like you that knows everything.:)
bonersoup

Haslet, TX

#12 Aug 9, 2012
Have you ever sprayed anything in your life?
Missy

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Aug 9, 2012
It is not the spray. Obviously spray does not help the trees but the reason is they don not have a deep enough root system and it has not rained in over three months. Bonersoup is right.
bonersoup

Staunton, IL

#14 Aug 9, 2012
Missy wrote:
It is not the spray. Obviously spray does not help the trees but the reason is they don not have a deep enough root system and it has not rained in over three months. Bonersoup is right.
boom! Thanks!
turf guy

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Aug 9, 2012
The problem with the trees are 100% weather related. Look around everywhere. I ran at glik park yesterday and notices damage on every tree. Every one. What they are spraying is roundup. It is a contact herbicide that does not leach into the soil and does not touch the root system of a tree. If it were herbicide damage from it you would notice specific areas of the tree dead. What is noticed is the entire tree is wilting. The bradford pears have fire blight which is a disease. They actually needed a fungicide early on bit they is outside of the realm of what the city probably sprays. What has been done there os IMP. Intergrated Pest management. Limiting herbicide is actually good for the environment. Next year will be a tough year for plant material for a lot of root systems dried up this year. If there is a concern for what has been sprayed contact the U of I Extension service in edwardsville. They will confirm everything that has been said. I have watched the city guys spray and honestly they are very conservative. Instead of getting worked up over this find facts first. This forum spits out a lot of bad information and does nothing but create drama. With limited budgets do we really think the city will try to harm the trees. Personally I think they go above and beyond by watering all the trees they planted along the new road and Iberg road. This horrible summer dealt a bad hand to all plant material and the worst is yet to come. I think the city was looking for volunteers for the tree comission. If people are upset by something they don't know then volunteer your time and have some say so. Stop the belly aching...Just Sayin....
say what

Glen Carbon, IL

#16 Aug 10, 2012
I hope the trees don't have a painful death.
bonersoup

United States

#17 Aug 10, 2012
Linda...?? Where did you go?
Missy

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Aug 10, 2012
bonersoup wrote:
Linda...?? Where did you go?
No gloating bonerman...
Linda

Festus, MO

#19 Aug 10, 2012
I concede. I have been proven wrong and will be the first to admit it. You don't get to be 65 without being able to know when you are wrong. I was wrong. I should know that not everything you read on Google or Yahoo is a proven fact. At least I use my real name and try not to be rude.
troll watch

Collinsville, IL

#20 Aug 11, 2012
Bonersoup is a drooling idiot.
On warm days, the outer bark of a tree can open up little pores, exposing the inner green living and sap carrying pith underneath it. While the label on Roundup, and the generic cheaper brands say it is OK to use it around ornamental plants under normal circumstances and with careful application, sometimes it isn't. The trees were already stressed from drowning in acid rain last year after the tsunami fallout and then drought this year. The addition of roundup or similar chemicals could finish them off.

The other thing is that roundup is a gardener's favorite, but the other generic brands are identical and so much cheaper that they are probably using a different brand, at least. That makes me wonder if they are even using that type of herbicide. Trees are real susceptible to broadleaf herbicides. Woody vines that grow up the sides of trees won't die with a regular application of roundup. They have to have a direct application applied to a cut area, and this has to be done repeatedly to work. Someone may have gotten frustrated with the process and mixed a real potent batch or gone to a more harmful but more effective mix.

The last thing you have to look at is pest infestation. There is the EAB issue and that has killed off tons of ash trees, and the dutch elm disease has killed off most of the elms in the U.S. There may be a similar sort of thing affecting these trees and just starting there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
highland speedway closure (Mar '17) Sep 16 KevHardwick 20
highland race fans Sep 16 DanikA 15
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Illinois... (Oct '10) Sep 14 HogWash 58
Kudos to the Mayor of Highland Sep 13 Nuttin 9
House for rent Sep 13 SmartShopper 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Sep 9 NoMoreIncumbents 134
New Public Safety Bldg for Highland Sep 6 BND News 1

Highland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Highland Mortgages