Oh and best running back.
oldtimer

Edwardsville, IL

#3 Sep 18, 2011
No contest Delaney and Lewis
hhs ball

United States

#4 Sep 18, 2011
Delaney lewis. Or oddarizzi he had louisville lookin at him. Billy was the best rb. Lance still was the only other rb ro recieve all state honors, and he was the workhorse for the best hhs football team after 89 team. Mike buhene was really good to.
the greatest

Edwardsville, IL

#5 Sep 19, 2011
B-Lane
Man

United States

#6 Nov 2, 2011
No contest! Brendan Delaney & Louis Staley. Tim Warneke as RB. Did odorizzi have a QB? No. Did Lance have a QB? No. I personaly went to school with them & my graduating class had a total of 5 losses in 4 yrs. Kids theese days are too undiciplined to even win conference. I feel sorry for the coaches cuz they get blamed when really its the parents fault.
zodiac

Alton, IL

#7 Nov 2, 2011
Al Bundy
ghs grad

San Jose, CA

#8 Nov 2, 2011
Man wrote:
No contest! Brendan Delaney & Louis Staley. Tim Warneke as RB. Did odorizzi have a QB? No. Did Lance have a QB? No. I personaly went to school with them & my graduating class had a total of 5 losses in 4 yrs. Kids theese days are too undiciplined to even win conference. I feel sorry for the coaches cuz they get blamed when really its the parents fault.
Please, Greenwald was the best RB ever at Highland and one of the best ever in the state. 47 touchdowns n a season, and could've had a lot more. Hell, he didn't even play the 2nd half in 4 games in 89. Speaking of 89, that's also the best team ever at Highland, HANDS DOWN. Their only loss was to Morris, who lost to Oak Lawn Richards by 7 in state. Oh yeah, Oak Lawn Richards was ranked in the top 20 high schools n the nation that year!!!!
hhs alumni

Alton, IL

#9 Nov 2, 2011
Jake had brett lewis, check the records he highlands most accurate passer. He had better vision mechanics and a better ball than delaney. Delaney had amazing arm strenghth, but was mechanically horrible. Still didnt need a QB, he carried the the 25 times a game. But he did actually have a great qb. Keeven was the best on field leader highland has had in a long time. He was a true field general. He was willing to win at all cost. Not to mention hes highlands best running QB. And he is the last qb in hhs to start both ways. He was confrence DB, lead the team with 11 ints. Louis staley had great talent and was great as a jr. He had matt lewis taking up most of the dbs attention, so staley thrived on the one on one coverages. However staleys senior was a wash. He showed that he was a wr not a rb when they moved him to more of a back field roll. This due to the fact they had a 5'6 inch qb. Hhs will he fine just give jimmy and his staff some time to establish their mindset into the kids and there will be great improvents.
why

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Nov 11, 2011
piss on football did u hear the news, albert pujols will be a cub soon! go big#5 welcome to chicago
Highland History Buff

Edwardsville, IL

#11 Nov 27, 2011
hhs alumni wrote:
Jake had brett lewis, check the records he highlands most accurate passer. He had better vision mechanics and a better ball than delaney. Delaney had amazing arm strenghth, but was mechanically horrible. Still didnt need a QB, he carried the the 25 times a game. But he did actually have a great qb. Keeven was the best on field leader highland has had in a long time. He was a true field general. He was willing to win at all cost. Not to mention hes highlands best running QB. And he is the last qb in hhs to start both ways. He was confrence DB, lead the team with 11 ints. Louis staley had great talent and was great as a jr. He had matt lewis taking up most of the dbs attention, so staley thrived on the one on one coverages. However staleys senior was a wash. He showed that he was a wr not a rb when they moved him to more of a back field roll. This due to the fact they had a 5'6 inch qb. Hhs will he fine just give jimmy and his staff some time to establish their mindset into the kids and there will be great improvents.
fyi: In the 1980's and 1990's Coach Monken (the Wishbone mostly) and Coach Hooker (powern "I", Wishbone, mixed in spread) offenses used the passing game to set up the run. In the late 90's the offense passed much more giving players more opportunity to catch. Catching 30 passes now won't get a player much recognition. Back in the 80's and 90's catching 30 passes is equivilent to catching 50 today.(maybe more) So don't get caught up thinking people are upset today because Highland football has been so good in the last 8 years. Coach Monken in the late 70's and Coach Hooker in 1988-2003 set the standards for this generation as did the players.

Possible 80's and 90's QB's--Fred Michael, Brian Zobrist, Brian Dean, Art Braudmeier, Craig Sands, Will Brown, Chad Michael, Kane Freeman, Joe Stock, Nathan Rueter, Jim Warneke...

Possible 80's and 90's Recievers: Steve Fenton, David Ford, Steve Zobrist, Scott Bumb, Kevin Buss, Jim Mogren, Kyle Freeman, Scott Zobrist, Chris Fisher, Zach Lewis

Possible Recievers: My nomination is Billy Greenwald who caught the most important pass in Highland Football history. But first another reciever who deserves credit Scott Bumb, one-handed a perfectly thrown Chad Michael pass (between two defenders) in a second round playoff game in Rantoul, to put the offense in scoring range to set up a diving Billy Greenwald reception in the end zone to tie the game with less than one minute left in the game.(extra point won game)
Oh, by the way, Greenwald scored over 60 TD's in his career played both ways, caught passes, intercepted passes, made tackles, punted, knocked earpads out of other teams helmets while runnig over potential defenders and in general was a superior athelete than everyone else (because he worked hard not because he was roided up and by the way he was recruited by seveal D1 colleges on offense and defense)... Jake O. was a great athelete, but does not hold a candle to Greenwald in football or recieving. When Coach Hooker asked Billy to catch a pass he caught the pass that allowed Highland Football to make history. It just so happens that Greenwald got the job done most of the time by running the ball.

Look at the stats and consider the timeperiod and the impact of the the receptions before you young guys go nominating your buddies catching passes in a cherry picking offense. Show some respect for people who set the standards and achieved much more then than the weak MVC conference and 8 class playoff system kids have been able to enjoy for the last several years.
hhs alumni

United States

#12 Nov 29, 2011
Good comments buff but im sorrt i know billy g personally and he is no WR u are crazy. Jusr cause you catch a pass does not make you a WR. there has been only a few all state wr in highland. My vote is for kevin buss he went D1 as a wr....
Highland History Buff

Edwardsville, IL

#13 Nov 29, 2011
Kevin Buss was a good reciever. He even caught the longest pass in IHSA history. However, he could not be counted on to consistenly catch passes during his varsity years. He was a great athelete and was rewarded for his skills, but Greenwald was the best of everthing. The guy excelled in every position and yes, he did split out into the slot reciever once and awhile just to make defenses cover him opening up other opportunities for his teammates, who were also very skilled football players. Remember, this was not needed in 95% of the time because the '89 team dominated so many games.
you make me sick

United States

#14 Nov 29, 2011
Highland History Buff wrote:
Kevin Buss was a good reciever. He even caught the longest pass in IHSA history. However, he could not be counted on to consistenly catch passes during his varsity years. He was a great athelete and was rewarded for his skills, but Greenwald was the best of everthing. The guy excelled in every position and yes, he did split out into the slot reciever once and awhile just to make defenses cover him opening up other opportunities for his teammates, who were also very skilled football players. Remember, this was not needed in 95% of the time because the '89 team dominated so many games.
lmao now look at him (Greenwald) does it really matter?
ghs grad

United States

#15 Nov 30, 2011
who="you make me sick"]<quoted text>
lmao now look at him (Greenwald) does it really matter?
What the hell is that supposed to mean. He's 40 now, Greenwald, me and a handful of other guys who graduated in 90 could still line up and play. Guess I shouldn't get offended by your remark, being that u r prolly an over weight slob that couldn't even do a push up let alone play any sport.
you make me sick

United States

#16 Nov 30, 2011
ghs grad wrote:
[QUOTE]who="you make me sick"]<quoted text>
lmao now look at him (Greenwald) does it really matter? "

What the hell is that supposed to mean. He's 40 now, Greenwald, me and a handful of other guys who graduated in 90 could still line up and play. Guess I shouldn't get offended by your remark, being that u r prolly an over weight slob that couldn't even do a push up let alone play any sport.
lol nice try, I'm not over weight, not a slob. I'm not bald either. I was just stating, who cares!!!!!! Geez. I simply asked what's he doing now? He WAS a football player in high school- that was how many years ago? I was and did a lot of different things when I was younger too. And had a few accomplishments that I was proud of myself. I'm just saying, "you make me sick" because there is NO point to this topic about football players from so
long ago. Grrrr
Horse s arse

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Nov 30, 2011
you make me sick wrote:
<quoted text>
lol nice try, I'm not over weight, not a slob. I'm not bald either. I was just stating, who cares!!!!!! Geez. I simply asked what's he doing now? He WAS a football player in high school- that was how many years ago? I was and did a lot of different things when I was younger too. And had a few accomplishments that I was proud of myself. I'm just saying, "you make me sick" because there is NO point to this topic about football players from so
long ago. Grrrr
That is what the topic is about you jealous moron.
you make me sick

United States

#18 Nov 30, 2011
Horse s arse wrote:
<quoted text>That is what the topic is about you jealous moron.
jealous of been a divorced, bald guy, lol I don't think so.
ghs grad

United States

#19 Dec 1, 2011
you make me sick wrote:
<quoted text>
jealous of been a divorced, bald guy, lol I don't think so.
Typical Highland topix coward ripping on someone then hide your identity! Its one thing to give your opinion on who u think is good at a sport or not, but ripping on someone u obviously don't know and hiding behind a made up topix name is, well, b n a COWARD! You might want to get the facts straight about someone b4 u rip on them. Gone r the days of telling people TO THEIR FACE what u think about them because most r cowards who CANT back up what they say!!!!!!
HHSDogs

Pocahontas, IL

#20 Dec 20, 2012
Man wrote:
Hahaha Odorizzi didn't have a QB? Not only did he have a QB but he had the best pure passing QB in Brett Lewis. For a high schooler the kid was deadly accurate and had a great deep ball. Not the strongest arm but not weak by any means. Lewis is underrated because his teams never did anything(although his senior year there was a ton of talent but the seniors on that team liked to party a little too much) but in fact he was a really, really good QB.

Brett Lewis=Highlands greatest passer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bob Sligie beatdown (Jan '11) Sat Sligie4Mayor 8
Corner Keg Bar Fight (Sep '11) Sat SaltyDog 15
Jeff Ray on his way back to prison for the thir... Sat BadNews 6
Highland McDonalds has 2 managers arrested for ... Sat Big Mac Bob 3
does anybody know gary runge jrr Sat Oh boy 34
Italian Place next to HR Block Sat nuguyntwn 18
corrupt police Sat Willie 28
More from around the web

Highland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE