1969 Winets' Murder

“: )”

Since: Jul 08

highland

#24 Jul 7, 2008
i think the whole officer sherman thing is wrong.
it was all an accident and i do not believe he did it. i know one of his family members and i do not believe he did it at all.

“: )”

Since: Jul 08

highland

#25 Jul 7, 2008
fmr citymgr highland wrote:
brad sherman did it and i can prove it
please prove it for us.
CURIOUS

Fort Worth, TX

#26 Jul 9, 2008
Dana Hawn wrote:
Nope both of the suspects resided in Highland at the time of the murder. She did not come from a large family at all.
I am still waiting to hear from Dawn. It sounds like she has first hand memory of the "suspects". Everybody else seems to have suspicions and opinions. But one thing I have realized is that it was never officially solved.
CURIOUS

Fort Worth, TX

#27 Jul 9, 2008
xhighlandx wrote:
i think the whole officer sherman thing is wrong.
it was all an accident and i do not believe he did it. i know one of his family members and i do not believe he did it at all.
How can shooting two people in their car on the side of a road be "an accident"?
I will never tell

Pasadena, MD

#28 Jul 12, 2008
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>How can shooting two people in their car on the side of a road be "an accident"?
what year were the murders?
I think I was about 15
I know a lot about what happened

Since: Jun 08

Bonne Terre, MO

#29 Jul 12, 2008
I can't help thinking that everyone who "knows" who the suspects/murders are, are blowing smoke up the backsides of everyone here! If you have information that could solve a "cold case" why wouldn't you call and tell someone in Law Enforcement? If you're scared of the HPD, call the State or County.

Sitting here trying to make out that you're "in the know" about this just makes you sound stupid to the rest of us. I don't know you, and after reading these posts, I don't want to.

My brother-in-law's niece was kidnapped and murdered in St Louis County. I spoke to the Major Case Squad about the family and friends and added a few to their list. I didn't shirk my duties as a human and sit with my thumb up my butt, shaking my head at the local cops because they didn't know what I did.

I can't believe you would know the family of either the victims or suspects (and if your from Highland you probably know both) and wouldn't lift the phone to help. Hopefully these people live near YOU! I don't like murders living near me.
CURIOUS

Fort Worth, TX

#30 Jul 12, 2008
I will never tell wrote:
<quoted text>
what year were the murders?
I think I was about 15
I know a lot about what happened
1969, well share what you know.
CURIOUS

Fort Worth, TX

#31 Jul 12, 2008
janisjoplin wrote:
I can't help thinking that everyone who "knows" who the suspects/murders are, are blowing smoke up the backsides of everyone here! If you have information that could solve a "cold case" why wouldn't you call and tell someone in Law Enforcement? If you're scared of the HPD, call the State or County.
Sitting here trying to make out that you're "in the know" about this just makes you sound stupid to the rest of us. I don't know you, and after reading these posts, I don't want to.
My brother-in-law's niece was kidnapped and murdered in St Louis County. I spoke to the Major Case Squad about the family and friends and added a few to their list. I didn't shirk my duties as a human and sit with my thumb up my butt, shaking my head at the local cops because they didn't know what I did.
I can't believe you would know the family of either the victims or suspects (and if your from Highland you probably know both) and wouldn't lift the phone to help. Hopefully these people live near YOU! I don't like murders living near me.
This started, for me at least, as a curious venture. It has actually become a daily event to check it. I was just curious as to whether it was ever solved. I too find it humorous those people who are so "in the know" but yet won't share. It's sad when you have to log onto a blog just to get attention.
Jimi Hendrix

Muncie, IN

#32 Jul 12, 2008
Yea Janis! Fianlly someone is saying something about these people that claim to know who did it but yet won't go to the police with what they know. If Dawn Hawn wasn't so busy dressing like a sl** and trying to impress her son she might go to the cops with her info. I'm mean really who the hell dresses like that with their teenage kid? Anyway maybe the HPD should go ask this woman what she knows and if she is involved!

Since: Jun 08

Bonne Terre, MO

#33 Jul 12, 2008
Dana Steinhoff Hawn wrote:
Brad Sherman is a good man. Yes, he accidently shot his beautiful daughter who was in another room when the firearm he was cleaning discharged.
I think you have your facts wrong. According to what Officer Sherman told the EMTs & Investigating Det at the time of the accident, he was NOT cleaning the gun. He told them he was cleaning out his closet and found the gun he hadn't seen in about 10 years. He was pointing it out his door into the hallway and had "fired" it many times before the load that was in it went off and struck his daughter as she crossed in front of the door.

I know that was a tragic accident, but as an Officer he should have known better than to play with the weapon. My Uncle cleaned his service weapon every Sat and sent my Aunt with the kids to the movies while he cleaned it. My brother-in-law cleans his weapon in the room at the PD where he works that is set up for that purpose.

But, what can you expect from an Officer that tells people that "Children are not being abducted in Illinois"! If Elsie is on, she can back me on that! He told us both that a few months after Angie Houseman & Cassidy Senter were murdered in MO.
CURIOUS

Fort Worth, TX

#34 Jul 13, 2008
janisjoplin wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you have your facts wrong. According to what Officer Sherman told the EMTs & Investigating Det at the time of the accident, he was NOT cleaning the gun. He told them he was cleaning out his closet and found the gun he hadn't seen in about 10 years. He was pointing it out his door into the hallway and had "fired" it many times before the load that was in it went off and struck his daughter as she crossed in front of the door.
I know that was a tragic accident, but as an Officer he should have known better than to play with the weapon. My Uncle cleaned his service weapon every Sat and sent my Aunt with the kids to the movies while he cleaned it. My brother-in-law cleans his weapon in the room at the PD where he works that is set up for that purpose.
But, what can you expect from an Officer that tells people that "Children are not being abducted in Illinois"! If Elsie is on, she can back me on that! He told us both that a few months after Angie Houseman & Cassidy Senter were murdered in MO.
Isn't this a blog on the Winet murder? I guess we could start another for flimsy excuses to murders but for now, I'd like to hear more about the Winet murder. Does anyone know any facts? BTW: I don't know any facts and I admit it.
Janisjoplin

Bonne Terre, MO

#35 Jul 13, 2008
Curious,
I'm sorry for going off track. I was reading the earlier blogs and came across a blog about Brad Sherman. I was responding to that, and should have quoted what was said and when.

I moved to Highland in 1980 and do not know any of the Winet family and hopefully don't know the murder. What I do konow is that this is a very small town where EVERYONE who is born here knows EVERYONE else who was born here. In St Louis we ask people "Where did you go to school?" , in Highland you ask "Who are your people?"

The majority of the town are realted in someway or another to everyone else. This is the biggest reason why it concerns me that someone would KNOW who the murder is/are but won't tell. Who are they related to???
CURIOUS

Fort Worth, TX

#36 Jul 13, 2008
Janisjoplin wrote:
Curious,
I'm sorry for going off track. I was reading the earlier blogs and came across a blog about Brad Sherman. I was responding to that, and should have quoted what was said and when.
I moved to Highland in 1980 and do not know any of the Winet family and hopefully don't know the murder. What I do konow is that this is a very small town where EVERYONE who is born here knows EVERYONE else who was born here. In St Louis we ask people "Where did you go to school?" , in Highland you ask "Who are your people?"
The majority of the town are realted in someway or another to everyone else. This is the biggest reason why it concerns me that someone would KNOW who the murder is/are but won't tell. Who are they related to???
No problem. It is just that those that are setting back saying "I know it all and I'm not telling" have irritated me. I grew up in the Highland area. I can see if you weren't born and raised there it may cause some culture shock. I grew up "around there" and moved to Houston and Dallas. Talk about culture shock. Her the just say "habla espanol?" I will say welcome to Highland.
CURIOUS

Fort Worth, TX

#37 Jul 14, 2008
Janisjoplin wrote:
Curious,
BTW: I was wondering what brought you to Highland and from where. If you don't mind my asking.
CURIOUS

Fort Worth, TX

#38 Jul 14, 2008
I say we create a new post. We can title it, "Did Brad Sherman really shoot his kids" or "1001 reasons why Brad Sherman is what he is". Either one, I don't care, but keeping the postings straight is driving me nuts. Are we talking about BS accidentally shooting his kids or that the Winet murder was an accident? Does anybody know any details, whether fact or speculation, about the Winet murders? If not, I'll research elsewhere. I just thought this was the logical starting place.
Janisjoplin

Bonne Terre, MO

#39 Jul 14, 2008
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>BTW: I was wondering what brought you to Highland and from where. If you don't mind my asking.
Even though my husband and I are both from St Louis, he was living in Highland due to his job when we got married.
Janisjoplin

Bonne Terre, MO

#40 Jul 14, 2008
CURIOUS wrote:
Does anybody know any details, whether fact or speculation, about the Winet murders? If not, I'll research elsewhere. I just thought this was the logical starting place.
If the murders happened in 1969, then most likely the only person/s who know anything accurate are the people who investigated or committed the crime. Everyone else just speculates. I'm sure the police in '69 didn't release everything they knew just like they don't now. Because it is an unsolved murder, which has no statute of limitations, there are few records that can be released to the public.

Also, HPD may not have had jurisdiction over the case. It may have been a joint effort with Mad CO Sheriff's.

I will contact the News Leader and ask them to run a story on the anniversary of the crime (40 years ago next year?) which will give them plenty of time to dig into it. Let's see if you get any info from that.

“Got Education?”

Since: Jan 07

Xenia, IL

#41 Jul 14, 2008
How do you think I knew who the suspects were? Because I am from Hong Kong? LOL

People talk, even cops. Back in them days there were no enforced privacy laws and BS like that. I don't know why you seem so angry at me because I know who the prime suspects were.

Forgive me for stirring an interest about a brutal unsolved double murder that has turned into a cold case. Gosh that makes me a really baaaaad person doesn't it?

Get a grip.
A Friend

Worden, IL

#42 Jul 14, 2008
Please whoever has any information on the Winet
murders, please post it so we can try to get it
checked out and verified,any information no matter
how trivial may lead to something bigger. Sometimes the smallast clue can lead to a case being solved. Dana Steinhoff Hawn please tell us the 2people you are talking about, I can and will
have them checked out as I am very close to the
people who were connected to this case.
Thank You and please respond!
CURIOUS

Fort Worth, TX

#43 Jul 14, 2008
Janisjoplin wrote:
<quoted text>
If the murders happened in 1969, then most likely the only person/s who know anything accurate are the people who investigated or committed the crime. Everyone else just speculates. I'm sure the police in '69 didn't release everything they knew just like they don't now. Because it is an unsolved murder, which has no statute of limitations, there are few records that can be released to the public.
Also, HPD may not have had jurisdiction over the case. It may have been a joint effort with Mad CO Sheriff's.
I will contact the News Leader and ask them to run a story on the anniversary of the crime (40 years ago next year?) which will give them plenty of time to dig into it. Let's see if you get any info from that.
Knowing that the murders took place outside the Highland city limits, I would say that the Madison County Sherrif was the investigating authority. It was in 69.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Schuette' Super Valu sellout (Aug '13) 2 hr Future 58
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Sun SligieForMayor 179
slots at churches! Sat SligieForMayor 2
Kudos to the Mayor of Highland Feb 9 AboutTime 29
great clips of highland (May '14) Feb 8 Amigo 14
EL Flannigans-do Highland people live under a r... Jan 20 TGIF 6
The Shaw Shack Redemption (Jan '15) Jan '18 ShoalCreekJimmy 36

Highland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Highland Mortgages