1969 Winets' Murder
just say n

United States

#360 Oct 14, 2011
please wrote:
Please, again, I ask that this thread stay on topic = the Winets.#1 You obviously want the messages about your mother to stop. I don't blame you. May your mother rest in peace.#2 (to another poster) just because others write off topic doesn't make it right and finally #3 some of us that have interest in this thread hope you understand why staying on topic is important.
Agreed !!!
Former resident

Saint Louis, MO

#361 Oct 20, 2011
I used to live a few miles from where this took place. Wasn't born when it happened. Heard little about it when I was a kid. Read through the previous posts. Any updates?
Young and Interested

Springfield, IL

#362 Nov 10, 2011
I'm 18 now and have spent hours reading every comment and everything on this case. I find it so interesting and I love how dedicated people have been to finding things out. I'll keep coming back to see more so if you have updates keep them coming. Call me a freak but unsolved murders have always fascinated me and if I could go back in time to see stop or change many of them I would.
killers in the details

Glen Carbon, IL

#363 Nov 12, 2011
Young and Interested wrote:
I'm 18 now and have spent hours reading every comment and everything on this case. I find it so interesting and I love how dedicated people have been to finding things out. I'll keep coming back to see more so if you have updates keep them coming. Call me a freak but unsolved murders have always fascinated me and if I could go back in time to see stop or change many of them I would.
Keep lookin the killer is posting here
Sod Buster

Lake Mary, FL

#364 Jan 4, 2012
Was really surprised to see this being discussed. Been a long time. Seems the general thought is that this happened in 1969? The oldest Winet son and I graduated from Highland High in 1971. Believe this tragedy happened in January 1972. That's what kind of got me thinking about this again, as it would be the 40th anniversary of this crime. Still remember a few details. Also believe the prime suspect ended up killing his own brother several years later. Don't think the prime suspect is around in any way any more.
Small town girl

Chicago, IL

#365 Apr 11, 2012
I was born the year the murders happened, grew up in Highland and moved during Highschool, know the family involved well, always felt the underlying toll this took on them. My parents used to talk about what happened and some things I have read in this thread are old news but there is a lot of other details, possibilities, opinions that really have me thinking. I will keep checking in to see what progress is being made, I know in much much earlier posts there was talk of a web site? Is that still up and running, if so how can I find it?
William Wilken

East Saint Louis, IL

#366 Apr 16, 2012
Sod Buster wrote:
Was really surprised to see this being discussed. Been a long time. Seems the general thought is that this happened in 1969? The oldest Winet son and I graduated from Highland High in 1971. Believe this tragedy happened in January 1972. That's what kind of got me thinking about this again, as it would be the 40th anniversary of this crime. Still remember a few details. Also believe the prime suspect ended up killing his own brother several years later. Don't think the prime suspect is around in any way any more.
Yes, I believe you are on the right track. I knew both of them,however, they are both deceased.they took it to their grave. their last name starts with H.
Truthseeker

Kimberling City, MO

#367 Apr 21, 2012
I remember the stories and speculation from the time it happened. Although I didn't know the Winets then, it affected everyone. I have recently found this forum, and every time I read through the column, I realize more. I always hoped it would be researched through cold case projects. It seems that many people who are close to the case are pretty sure who did it, but there are several scenarios. The land deal, the farm hand, the robbery, the Indianapolis connection. Surely the police have ruled out some. I assume that since it is an open case, the police records are sealed. I know some of the Winets, and can only imagine how this must have affected them. Seems that some of the main characters have stayed here. I hope this forum stays active. Thank you to all who have contributed. I hope that one day the truth will be known day. thanks
highland

Edwardsville, IL

#368 Apr 21, 2012
they were killed over land dispute. how about this, ask the winets and you'll get your answer. they already told me who they think it was, but there wasn't enough evidence against them.
Truthseeker

United States

#369 Apr 27, 2012
I 've heard a lot about the land deal, but I heard a name that was never mentioned in this blog. does anyone know any details about the deal. buying, selling, I wouldn't be surprised if the name I heard was right, but ??/
Long Time Ago

Stockbridge, GA

#370 May 30, 2012
It's sad to see this has gone so long and unsolved. I was working the emergency room at St. Joseph's hospital the morning this happened. I had to stay and assist with the examinations that were done. One of the saddest days of my life after having been born and raised in Highland. I never thought something like this could/would ever happen in "our town". I'm simply amazed that there has not been an arrest. On the other hand, it is Madison County where even jurors set confessed killers free. Very shameful.
Have respect

Bellingham, WA

#371 Mar 11, 2013
highland wrote:
there was another solved murder in 2000-2001 with Stephanie Fulford and George Pelletier. George strangled Stephanie after they left Railshake and he drug her into a cornfield or something.anyone remember that one?
you don't even know George's last name???? What the hell?
smoker

Pana, IL

#372 Mar 14, 2013
George Atchison gets out of prison in 2042!
letEmHaveit

Bellingham, WA

#373 Mar 14, 2013
smoker wrote:
George Atchison gets out of prison in 2042!
Ummmm, probably a lot sooner. They let people out early
smoker

Pana, IL

#374 Mar 15, 2013
Not on murder charges idiot. In Illinois you do 100 percent of your sentence. He got 40 years go to idoc.com
Willy billy

United States

#375 Mar 15, 2013
idoc.com is a search domain that is for sale. idiot.
Interested

Belleville, IL

#376 Oct 3, 2013
I have lived in Highland all of my life and had never heard of the Winet Murders. I spent a few hours and read this topic from start to finish. I even called my mother inlaw to ask if she remembered it, she would have been in HHS at the time. She said that she did remember it and told me that she went to school with their children. What I find interesting is that Highland is such a small community, even more so back then, and they never figured out who did this. From what I have read it sounds like a disgruntle farm hand is guilty. If any of the contributors are still active I would like to read some of the articles that were mentioned. Did the website idea ever happen? Anyway I just figured I would drop a note and see if anyone was still monitoring this tread.
outsider

Granite City, IL

#377 Oct 8, 2013
I always heard from Highland friends that Bill Ambuehl had something to do with the death of the Winets.
former highlander

Kannapolis, NC

#378 Oct 26, 2013
Grandparents Bought the house they lived in out by Schroeder's cheese shop from the winets, and we rented a house from them out by Pokey. Knew all the Winets pretty well but didn't talk about this with them much. Always hoped they would find who did this. My best to the entire family! Miss the old days(70's and 80's) in Highland alot. My best to all the old residents of Highland. Sincerely, LITTLE. C
Curious still

Bedford, TX

#379 Oct 27, 2013
I came back here tonight for no apparent reason but just thought I'd post that I am still very curious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Illinois... (Oct '10) 2 hr NavalHistory 55
American Health Care Plan 4 hr JohnnyMac 3
Highland IL Raising Sales Tax 21 hr TIFSupporter 5
walmart ammo delivery times (Mar '13) Jul 17 WatchUrBack 123
Kfc taco bell Jul 17 DissatisfiedToo 8
Rail shake (May '15) Jul 15 TheRevue 44
Schuette' Super Valu sellout (Aug '13) Jul 13 Sligie 41

Highland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Highland Mortgages