Health and Wellness in Cold Spring

Health and Wellness in Cold Spring

Posted in the Highland Heights Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Monday walker

West Salem, OH

#1 May 6, 2013
Kudos to the city of Cold Spring for all the Health and Wellness events!
Agree

Hamilton, OH

#2 May 6, 2013
I agree! Why was there any question about. This is one of the best programs we have.
28YR-Resident

Newark, OH

#3 May 14, 2013
why can't expenses be challenged. Isn't that what local government forums are for? I don't disagree with the program's intent of living a healthy livestyle but is it the job of my local city council and mayor to provide these things? What makes me a little upset is that this new health program continues to exist even though there doesn't seem to be much interest in it. In contrast, we had the car show and concert that was a real hit for several years (the car show was one of the best in nky) and now it is gone...apparently replaced by health programs and a city manager's salary. At the end of the day I guess that's what the people want since they keep voting these folks to office.
18YearResident

Cincinnati, OH

#7 May 14, 2013
28YR-Resident wrote:
why can't expenses be challenged. Isn't that what local government forums are for? I don't disagree with the program's intent of living a healthy livestyle but is it the job of my local city council and mayor to provide these things? What makes me a little upset is that this new health program continues to exist even though there doesn't seem to be much interest in it. In contrast, we had the car show and concert that was a real hit for several years (the car show was one of the best in nky) and now it is gone...apparently replaced by health programs and a city manager's salary. At the end of the day I guess that's what the people want since they keep voting these folks to office.
Sine when is local government supposed to be providing free health care. Excercise programs I can see, but not the thins that individuals health insurance pays for
Monday walker

Powell, OH

#8 May 15, 2013
Car shows lasted for way to many years. Glad council has approved new activities. Monday walks are great and movie in the park are awesome! Love taking the grand kids to the movies.
Citizen

United States

#9 May 15, 2013
Im fairly new to town, is their a website expkaining what theyre offering?
Councilwoman Cavanaugh

Somerset, KY

#10 May 16, 2013
Monday walker wrote:
Car shows lasted for way to many years. Glad council has approved new activities. Monday walks are great and movie in the park are awesome! Love taking the grand kids to the movies.


I believe that the car show lasted for as many years as it did because it was the citys most popular event by far. Families came and brought their blankets and chairs and made a day of it and evening of it. Many brought their grand kids also, because the concert was good clean fun dancing music for people of all ages. So it wasnt just a car show.

When is the next Monday walk? and where will it take place? and what time will it start? and where will be the starting point?
When was the last Monday mile? Where are the markers in the neighborhoods that the mayor said he was going to have put in a few years ago? How does the city relay this information?, because I would like to attend the next one but havent heard anything about it, if you could fill me in, I would appreciate it.

The movies in the park are fun for families and grandparents and kids, I definetely agree. This is the 4th year that is being done and it also has been done previously. The high cost of showing one movie vs the attendance that has been dropping since the 1st yr started. It worth considering looking into new options or activities so that this one too, isnt here for way too many years like apparently the car show was.
So its not about the movies themselve, its about the high cost of showing them to a minimal audience.
Resident

Louisville, KY

#11 May 16, 2013
Councilwoman Cavanaugh wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that the car show lasted for as many years as it did because it was the citys most popular event by far. Families came and brought their blankets and chairs and made a day of it and evening of it. Many brought their grand kids also, because the concert was good clean fun dancing music for people of all ages. So it wasnt just a car show.
When is the next Monday walk? and where will it take place? and what time will it start? and where will be the starting point?
When was the last Monday mile? Where are the markers in the neighborhoods that the mayor said he was going to have put in a few years ago? How does the city relay this information?, because I would like to attend the next one but havent heard anything about it, if you could fill me in, I would appreciate it.
The movies in the park are fun for families and grandparents and kids, I definetely agree. This is the 4th year that is being done and it also has been done previously. The high cost of showing one movie vs the attendance that has been dropping since the 1st yr started. It worth considering looking into new options or activities so that this one too, isnt here for way too many years like apparently the car show was.
So its not about the movies themselve, its about the high cost of showing them to a minimal audience.
So Lisa why don't you ask the mayor directly at the council meetings rather than on a topix forum? Are you not at the same meetings with him?
28YR-Resident

Newark, OH

#12 May 16, 2013
Monday walker wrote:
Car shows lasted for way to many years. Glad council has approved new activities. Monday walks are great and movie in the park are awesome! Love taking the grand kids to the movies.
Please don't get me wrong, we should think of new things for our city. I think the movies in the park are a very good idea-particularly for residents with young children. I just think the car show really brought attention to our city in a good way. The after concert attracted atleast 1000 people. Now the kicker is that I don't know what this cost the city. I'm told that it was an "almost" breakeven but I don't know for sure. As for Monday walks, why couldn't you do that on top of a car show? Does it cost anything to walk in the city?
You say you enjoy the movies in the park with your grand kids WELL, I enjoyed taking my grand kids to the car show.
28YR-Resident

Newark, OH

#13 May 16, 2013
Councilwoman Cavanaugh wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that the car show lasted for as many years as it did because it was the citys most popular event by far. Families came and brought their blankets and chairs and made a day of it and evening of it. Many brought their grand kids also, because the concert was good clean fun dancing music for people of all ages. So it wasnt just a car show.
When is the next Monday walk? and where will it take place? and what time will it start? and where will be the starting point?
When was the last Monday mile? Where are the markers in the neighborhoods that the mayor said he was going to have put in a few years ago? How does the city relay this information?, because I would like to attend the next one but havent heard anything about it, if you could fill me in, I would appreciate it.
The movies in the park are fun for families and grandparents and kids, I definetely agree. This is the 4th year that is being done and it also has been done previously. The high cost of showing one movie vs the attendance that has been dropping since the 1st yr started. It worth considering looking into new options or activities so that this one too, isnt here for way too many years like apparently the car show was.
So its not about the movies themselve, its about the high cost of showing them to a minimal audience.
What happened with the fishing derby? Nobody can tell me the attendance was dropping at that event yet it's gone. Maybe the city should just stop offering any events and send the residents back their tax money.
Resident

Louisville, KY

#14 May 16, 2013
28YR-Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened with the fishing derby? Nobody can tell me the attendance was dropping at that event yet it's gone. Maybe the city should just stop offering any events and send the residents back their tax money.
Why don't you stop complaining about it on a topix forum and go to a council meeting and ask? Then you would have an answer.

The council meets twice a month I believe so you can have an answer from your elected officials as well as provide input.
Monday walker

Columbus, OH

#15 May 16, 2013
The best advice is for disgruntled residence is to get involved. Volunteer for city events, attend meeting, suggest new events and activities. Don't just be a grumpy person complaining about everything.
Where is there a public lake in the city for a fishing derby? Campbell County has many car shows try attending some of those they are even weekly. If your not happy paying city taxes then sell your house and move. I'm sure your neighbors won't mind because grumpy residence bring our city down.
Councilwoman Cavanaugh

Somerset, KY

#17 May 16, 2013
Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
So Lisa why don't you ask the mayor directly at the council meetings rather than on a topix forum? Are you not at the same meetings with him?
Well for one, Monday Walker said: "Monday walks ARE great" so it sounds like he/she has been currently participating in them. There is no info on the website about Monday walks, the mayor has not mentioned Monday walks for quite a while, if this was a current project of his, he would discussing it and putting the info out there like he is for his other programs.
The mayor said a year or two ago that there would be markers put on the sidewalks in all the neighborhoods so you would know how far you walked. It hasnt been done! The mayor hasnt followed through on it.
So if Monday walker is participating in this, they should have all the info. as to when, where, etc....
Besides, if you ask the mayor a direct question, you would probably get a 5 minute response, but still not an answer to your question.

After about 1 minute of listening to him, he kinda starts to sound like the Charlie Brown teacher....whaa whaaa whaa whaa whaaaaa
Councilwoman Cavanaugh

Somerset, KY

#18 May 16, 2013
Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
So Lisa why don't you ask the mayor directly at the council meetings rather than on a topix forum? Are you not at the same meetings with him?
Besides, I wasnt asking the mayor. I was asking Monday walker since THEY were the one to bring it up, not me!
Councilwoman Cavanaugh

Somerset, KY

#20 May 16, 2013
28YR-Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't get me wrong, we should think of new things for our city. I think the movies in the park are a very good idea-particularly for residents with young children. I just think the car show really brought attention to our city in a good way. The after concert attracted atleast 1000 people. Now the kicker is that I don't know what this cost the city. I'm told that it was an "almost" breakeven but I don't know for sure. As for Monday walks, why couldn't you do that on top of a car show? Does it cost anything to walk in the city?
You say you enjoy the movies in the park with your grand kids WELL, I enjoyed taking my grand kids to the car show.
As co-chair of the event, yes it was almost breakeven. The city initially put out $10,000 for the event. 2yrs before it was cancelled, we recouped everything except $1750. So that is what it cost the city that year. The next yr, the last one, we only recouped around half, because it was extremely! hot that day, and we had storms later that afternoon, so the attendance was down.
So yes, every year for 12 years, we made every effort to recoup as much as possible, yet still providing fun and low cost event for the residents and those from other cities.

So according to the mayor, because I as well as others have heard him and other council members say, that one of the reasons the cruise in was cancelled was because it cost the city too much money and too much work. In fact, at Arbor Day that next April after it was cancelled, I stood just a few from the mayor and a woman was asking him about it. I kid you not, I heard it with own ears, that man stood there and bold face lied through his teeth about the reasons why. Again...WHAA WHAA WHAAA WHAAA WHAAAAA
When he was done, I walked over to her and said, if you really want to know what happened, I can tell you. She said, "I knew he was lying, I just wanted to see how far he would go with it".

Another reason it was cancelled was because Councilman Lou Gerding and a handful of others, did not like that people came from other cities. He said these events were supposed to be for Cold Spring residents only, and that was a direct statement made to me.

And the fact that Nancy Bay was the chair and she was running against him for mayor, it was his way to get at her, because he knew of the hard work and dedication that had been put into it, and he finds pleasure it taking those things that mean something away from people.
Councilwoman Cavanaugh

Somerset, KY

#21 May 16, 2013
28YR-Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't get me wrong, we should think of new things for our city. I think the movies in the park are a very good idea-particularly for residents with young children. I just think the car show really brought attention to our city in a good way. The after concert attracted atleast 1000 people. Now the kicker is that I don't know what this cost the city. I'm told that it was an "almost" breakeven but I don't know for sure. As for Monday walks, why couldn't you do that on top of a car show? Does it cost anything to walk in the city?
You say you enjoy the movies in the park with your grand kids WELL, I enjoyed taking my grand kids to the car show.
For several years I believe the attendance averaged around 2-3000.
2 yrs before it was cancelled, we had over 5000 people.

And actually AFTER the 1st year it was cancelled. Councilman Rob Moore game to the Jan. 2011 park board mtg and said, that council had heard so much negative feedback about cancelling it, that he wanted to see about bringing it back. I believe, the minutes from that meeting reflect that statement.
Be Happy

Columbus, OH

#22 May 16, 2013
Council person Cavanaugh just move on and let the past be the past. Your making a fool of yourself.
Councilwoman Cavanaugh

Somerset, KY

#23 May 16, 2013
Be Happy wrote:
Council person Cavanaugh just move on and let the past be the past. Your making a fool of yourself.
What are you talking about? that doesnt even make sense. All Im doing is answering questions, whats so foolish about that.

What does answering questions HONESTLY about the fishing derby and car show have anything to do with moving on, and letting the past be the past? I dont think Im the one looking foolish here.
Councilwoman Cavanaugh

Somerset, KY

#24 May 16, 2013
Be Happy wrote:
Council person Cavanaugh just move on and let the past be the past. Your making a fool of yourself.
ps---apparently you dont know me too well, because I am extremely happy!!! Not only with my position on council, but with the wonderful, amazing, awesome, and dysfunctional family and friends I have. I feel very fortunate :)
Citizen

Louisville, KY

#25 May 16, 2013
From the other topix site I found some info on the council woman. Care to comment.

From the other topix site

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/cold-spring-k...

Here is the Police report.

"Lisa Cavanaugh contacted this office regarding an altercation between her and Laura and Mark Ruschman. The events occurred in the parking lot behind the Cold Spring City Building. According to Mark Ruschman, he and Laura went to meet Lisa regarding an issue between Laura and Lisa Cavanaugh's son. Initially neither Mark nor Laura would indicate what the issue was. The conversation between Laura and Lisa became heated. Mark stated that Lisa exited her vehicle and the two continued to argue. He indicated that Laura "began pushing Lisa's buttons" and he stepped between the two to keep them from going at it. He later stated that the accusation that there was marijuana in Lisa's house, and that their daughter had been there when Lisa's son was smoking it, provoked the attack. He indicated that he held Lisa at bay for a time. While he was between the two, Lisa kicked Laura in the leg. There were marks on the left leg near the shin below the knee on Laura. Photos of the injury were taken. Laura indicated that was the way that it went.
Lisa indicated that she was seeking to get a "genuine" apology from Laura for giving pills to her son to sell at school. She indicated that she believed the apology given to her by Mark was genuine. She did not think that Laura was remorseful for her actions with her son. Lisa admitted that she was emotionally a wreck. During the conversation Lisa stated that Laura said that there was marijuana in her (Lisa C) house and that they were calling each other names. She (Lisa C) later admitted to striking Laura.

Both subjects were advised on the procedure to file charges with the county attorney and that we would have a copy of the report. Both were also advised to not meet to discuss the issues between them. "

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Highland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unbelievable Sat Rmg 3
Tear DOWN Jefferson Davis Monument Sat Uncle Toony 1
Alexandria - first Taco Bell, now Rally's Sat Burrito Bill 3
Who is your favorite streetwalker? (Dec '12) Jul 20 drivindave 74
Ryland Heights Music Thread (Jan '14) Jul 20 Musikologist 9
Bank Lick Music Thread Jul 20 Musikologist 1
What is there to do in Newport Ky Jul 19 The big farter 3

Highland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Highland Heights Mortgages